PDA

View Full Version : Help, no sound.

Excalibur
05-07-2012, 09:00 PM
The other day, I noticed I had no sound on Youtube. That doesn't worry me. Spotify is working fine, so no problem. However, when I tried to listen to Andy Neen's show http://www.edenfm.co.uk/choose_to_listen.html there's no sound! :( :(

Any ideas anyone? Please. Might it be anything to do with Flash Player? Nothing's muted at my end as far as I can see.

DeckstarDeluxe
05-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Must be a setting on youtube? Not muted it have you? Controls should appear at the bottom of the video being played?

Excalibur
05-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Must be a setting on youtube? Not muted it have you? Controls should appear at the bottom of the video being played?

Volumes all set to max. No mutes engaged as far as I can see. All volumes at max on mixer. I'm baffled. :confused:

djeddie
05-07-2012, 09:24 PM
What OS and what browser are you using?

DeckstarDeluxe
05-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Volumes all set to max. No mutes engaged as far as I can see. All volumes at max on mixer. I'm baffled. :confused:

Bottom right of the menu bar on the bottom of your pc screen is an option for sound. If you go into that there is something called "mixer settings" I think which controls the volume levels from different devices, check that. Other than that I'm stuck...

Excalibur
05-07-2012, 09:29 PM
What OS and what browser are you using?

Windows 7, IE9. I haven't tried any other browser, I'm wary of fouling something up. I don't know if it's possible to select which browser you want to use at any given time. :daft:

dehayco
05-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Try right clicking on a youtube video then settings. Should open an Adobe Flash menu If i remember rightly there is a option for sound. I'm on a mac so it maybe slightly different, think its something similar on a PC though.

DazzyD
05-07-2012, 10:07 PM
I've had intermittent problems with sound on streaming videos before. Sometimes they're totally silent and sometimes the audio cuts in and out. And then they play just fine. Makes me wonder if it's a glitch that sometimes the sound doesn't seem to load properly with the video.

Jiggles
05-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Download Google chrome and try using the HTML5 player: www.youtube.com/html5 :) Try That

DazzyD
05-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Download Google chrome and try using the HTML5 player: www.youtube.com/html5 :) Try That

Or the latest Firefox will work, too, as that is HTML5-native now.

Actually, that's a pretty good suggestion from Mr B. As HTML5 has in-built support for video, there's no chance of any complications or incompatibilites from otherwise required add-ons such as Flash. Good call! (off to try it myself!!).

Jiggles
06-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Or the latest Firefox will work, too, as that is HTML5-native now.

Actually, that's a pretty good suggestion from Mr B. As HTML5 has in-built support for video, there's no chance of any complications or incompatibilites from otherwise required add-ons such as Flash. Good call! (off to try it myself!!).

Its the way forward! Bye Bye flash, hello good video!

Excalibur
11-07-2012, 07:57 PM

OK Callum, I know you're pretty clued up on these things, so I fear I'm going to have to venture into the unknown, and download Google Chrome. Now the question is, will I be able to operate it alongside the accursed IE9, or will Google follow a scorched earth policy, and destroy everything, bookmarks, favourites et al?

katman
11-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Google can import all your favouries etc from IE and you have a choice of setting it as your default browser. If you do set it as your default then when you manually launch IE it will detect that it isnt the default and ask if you want it to be.

Both browsers will have an option to not ask you again.

Excalibur
11-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Google can import all your favouries etc from IE and you have a choice of setting it as your default browser. If you do set it as your default then when you manually launch IE it will detect that it isnt the default and ask if you want it to be.

Both browsers will have an option to not ask you again.

Thanks for that. I suppose I'd better have a go at Chrome, otherwise Andy Neen's listening figures will nose dive. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Excalibur
11-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Praise the Lord, I can hear!! For some reason I had to sign in to use it, and some bits of it seem funny to get used to, but we're up and running. Yippee.

Edit: Annoying conundrum. When I'm browsing on my phone, I don't get "Quick Links". Same with Chrome. Ideas anyone? Ta.

hammy
12-07-2012, 11:19 AM
, I don't get "Quick Links". Same with Chrome. Ideas anyone? Ta.

You are not alone there Peter, using Chrome on my pc I do not get the quick links tab either.