PDA

View Full Version : Shermann audio XB15/600 and cubs reburb

audiovisualents
10-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Hi this is my first review on here, I have no pictures as yet but here goes.

A few months back I put on the site that I was looking at a new PA system and was orginally thinking of going all new. I had a tatty set of shermann cubs (tops) and some cheap tacky skytec subs. After looking around and talking to people I decided to stay with shermann.

Ken at Shermann took in my 21 year old cubs for a refurb and then also built me a set of his XB15 subs. Knowing the quality of shermann I was expecting something great but was quite shocked with what he sent.

The XB15's are his entry level range of subs but are worth every penny. They sound really tight and punchy. Although not as deep as an 18inch would be they are quite powerful. Ken at shermann loaded them with Fane drivers with neo magnets on rather than ferrite.

The outcome of the reconditioned cubs is also quite amazing, I thought they were brand new when I saw them. Ken also suggested some new amps and am now running 2x yamaha p7000s that one perside. They have a built in crossover which is pretty good and with a 4 core speakon out on one channel it allows me to run one cable to the sub and daisy chain off quite nicely.

Ok some of you are thinking well they are passive, you need to carry amps, and yes I do but in my own opinion if powered was better then why are all the big rigs passive still???

If I were to advise people what to buy go for quality stick passive, yes its heavier and you need amps but, products like shermann are built to order and not mass produced and the service you also receive is so much better than from a shop.

Anthony

Corabar Steve
10-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Good choice of amp.

audiovisualents
10-07-2012, 09:53 PM
yeah they are good would prefer others though but cost wise they are fab.

chrisj
10-07-2012, 10:26 PM
A mate has a pair of Shermann 18" subs and bought my Yorkville AP6020 to drive them, o/p is 1300w at 4 ohm rms per channel. He says they are fantastic.

I agree that for power with quality good passive speakers and good amps is better than actives. I only have Tannoy V15 400w speakers left from the full Tannoy passive system I used to have. They are excellent quality but I never use them as I have Bose L1 actives and B1 subs now due to not being able to lift and carry the passives.

If I didn't have back problems I would definately use good passive cabs.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-07-2012, 11:03 AM
if powered was better then why are all the big rigs passive still???

Because active/powered is small, light and convenient for people who don't use big rigs?

audiovisualents
11-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Because active/powered is small, light and convenient for people who don't use big rigs?

What do you class as a big rig??
A big rig to me is 10k plus any where between, I would say 2k-3k is about standard for a general system.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-07-2012, 02:07 PM
What do you class as a big rig??
A big rig to me is 10k plus any where between, I would say 2k-3k is about standard for a general system.

Standard? General system? Sorry Anthony, but on their these are just words and don't really mean anything. What is a general system and what is it used for? :confused:

Not only that, but you can't hear watts - it's power, so there's no point in putting that either. ;)