PDA

View Full Version : The Buffet :)

ukpartydj
29-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Just got me thinking this weekend after a couple of wedding which were "knife and fork" buffet meals.

Do you wait to be offered buffet food or just get stuck in with everybody else?

I personally just get stuck in, on occasion I haven't been hungry and haven't been offered any at all. I also carry my own knife and fork as you never seem to be given a set :)

discomobiledj
29-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Never go the buffet unless told to and not until everyone has had their food.

Corabar Entertainment
29-07-2012, 06:53 PM
I personally just get stuck in, on occasion I haven't been hungry and haven't been offered any at all. I also carry my own knife and fork as you never seem to be given a set :)Is this a wind up? :confused: :daft: :confused:

yourdj
29-07-2012, 07:10 PM
I thought that. :)

ppentertainments
29-07-2012, 07:12 PM
I have in my terms and conditions that I will not help myself to food or beverage without invitation (or words to that effect).

Since including that 99% of the time I get offered food & drinks (normally at the pre-event meeting), and often get a meal supplied when doing all-day services :D

If not offered I don't take.

Corabar Entertainment
29-07-2012, 07:13 PM
I thought that. :)We can but hope, eh? :D

...but it's gone awfully quiet!

:lol:

ppentertainments
29-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Just got me thinking this weekend after a couple of wedding which were "knife and fork" buffet meals.

Do you wait to be offered buffet food or just get stuck in with everybody else?

I personally just get stuck in, on occasion I haven't been hungry and haven't been offered any at all. I also carry my own knife and fork as you never seem to be given a set :)
Please remember you are the DJ NOT a band member :D :D :D

Corabar Entertainment
29-07-2012, 07:14 PM
I have in my terms and conditions that I will not help myself to food or beverage without invitation (or words to that effect).

Since including that 99% of the time I get offered food & drinks (normally at the pre-event meeting), and often get a meal supplied when doing all-day services :D

If not offered I don't take.
Now come on, Chris. Are you seriously suggesting that 99% of your clients READ your terms & conditions? :Laugh:

Charlie Brown
29-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Now come on, Chris. Are you seriously suggesting that 99% of your clients READ your terms & conditions? :Laugh:

At least he gives them the opportunity! :lol:

Corabar Entertainment
29-07-2012, 07:21 PM

ppentertainments
29-07-2012, 07:53 PM

I use a very large bold text and make sure I point out that term. :D

Excalibur
29-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Is this a wind up? :confused: :daft: :confused:

Serious, or tongue in cheek? :confused: No idea.
More points of view here folks, some of which may also be a touch facetious. Judge for yourself.

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29032&highlight=eating+buffet

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33422&highlight=buffet

Cowlinn
29-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Don't get me started on this again...:D

Twinspin
29-07-2012, 10:55 PM
If im not offered. I wont help myself to the buffet and even if I am. I still dont although. If i have a roadie with me and they are offered then i tell them they are ok to get something.

Im happy with a soft drink whether im offered one or not. If not ill go to the bar and buy one unless i take a bottle with me.

Shakermaker Promotions
30-07-2012, 09:24 AM
I've said before that I don't have anything from the buffet. It does get mentioned in the meetings beforehand from time to time as the customer will say "You are welcome to help yourself". I always thank them but tell them that I don't eat when I am working but also that I don't think it looks good on my side because their guests won't know that I have been told it's ok. I just don't bother.

On saturday, the Groom came up to me around 10.00pm with one of the biggest bacon rolls I've ever seen. He said "Get that down you!" and walked off. I did oblige on that occasion because I was really hungry but I was also on a stage and I only had to stand back a few paces and no'one could see me.

BossmanKaraokeDisco
30-07-2012, 10:31 AM
I've said before that I don't have anything from the buffet. It does get mentioned in the meetings beforehand from time to time as the customer will say "You are welcome to help yourself". I always thank them but tell them that I don't eat when I am working but also that I don't think it looks good on my side because their guests won't know that I have been told it's ok.

Have to agree 100%, most times I am offered and I always politely thank them and say I am okay, nothing worse than getting coleslaw on your controllers :D :D :D

funkymook
30-07-2012, 10:53 AM
If it's offered and it looks like a nice buffet I'll usually have some.

Having seen many bands, entertainers, photographers etc queuing up and partaking I really don't think guests notice let alone care.

For all day weddings I stipulate that a meal and refreshments must supplied - having been in the position of seeing others tucking in while nothing was supplied to me (as I hadn't asked) I decided as it's acceptable for them it's also acceptable for the DJ.

Sometimes we still act like were bottom of the pecking order while all the other on the day suppliers are fed and watered, why should the DJ be an exception?

Of course I wouldn't expect to see the photographer taking photos with a ham sarnie in one hand and a camera in the other so there should be a certain amount of decorum and discretion.

Mark Wild
30-07-2012, 10:59 AM
This has to be a wind up lol (the taking of your own knife & fork bit)

At least he gives them the opportunity! :lol:

LOL ! :D :beer1:

ukpartydj
30-07-2012, 11:10 AM
This has to be a wind up lol (the taking of your own knife & fork bit):

Reading this has made me chuckle. Oddly enough - no it not a wind up I bring my own knife and fork!

It's a buffet, the leftover food gets chucked at the end of the night anyway!

if you're working from say 2/3pm until midnight surely you should eat something?
I do bring a few snacks in case I don't have the chance to eat something.

I personally wouldn't dream of not giving the DJ / Band / Photographers etc something to eat if it was my wedding, I'm very surprised that some people don't even offer!

DJForrest
30-07-2012, 11:16 AM
I know i don't post often, but this is a topic that i have been thinking about for a long time. Personally, I don't help myself to the buffet, even if its offered. To me, the person who has asked me knows i have been offered, but everyone else in the room doesn't. I don't like the idea of guests of the party thinking 'This DJ helps himself to the buffet'.

Corabar Entertainment
30-07-2012, 11:16 AM
OMG!

Even putting aside the knife & Fork bit, I am shocked that anyone employed by the party/event hosts would go and get stuck in with everyone else - even if they weren't invited!

I've got no problem with people going up after the guests have had their turn if they're invited to, and I don't have a problem with DJs having it stipulated in their contract they they are fed and watered on an all-day function, but to just go up with everyone else when you haven't been told to is probably one of the most shocking things I've ever read on here.

funkymook
30-07-2012, 11:43 AM
OMG!
I am shocked that anyone employed by the party/event hosts would go and get stuck in with everyone else

The DJ definitely shouldn't be taking the cling film off the food!

Shakermaker Promotions
30-07-2012, 11:46 AM
OMG!

Even putting aside the knife & Fork bit, I am shocked that anyone employed by the party/event hosts would go and get stuck in with everyone else - even if they weren't invited!

I've got no problem with people going up after the guests have had their turn if they're invited to, and I don't have a problem with DJs having it stipulated in their contract they they are fed and watered on an all-day function, but to just go up with everyone else when you haven't been told to is probably one of the most shocking things I've ever read on here.

I agree and you've said exactly what I would have said.
I personally would rather stay hungry (if I am hungry) than create the wrong impression.
I don't have a problem with other DJ's having something if they've been told that they can and maybe (more likely) not everyone is as paranoid as me.

Jonathan Ford
30-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Reading this has made me chuckle. Oddly enough - no it not a wind up I bring my own knife and fork!

It's a buffet, the leftover food gets chucked at the end of the night anyway!

if you're working from say 2/3pm until midnight surely you should eat something?
I do bring a few snacks in case I don't have the chance to eat something.

I personally wouldn't dream of not giving the DJ / Band / Photographers etc something to eat if it was my wedding, I'm very surprised that some people don't even offer!

The fact that leftover food is thrown away is irrelevant. I never eat from the buffet even if I'm offered, either at the pre-event stage or on the night.

Also, I wouldn't expect to feed the suppliers I'd booked

Excalibur
30-07-2012, 12:14 PM
At a venue where I've been providing cover lately, it's been particularly galling. Due to the layout of the room, you're set up on the "stage" ( it's 6" high :eek: :D :D ) and the buffet is there with you. Actually the buffet gets centre stage, and you have to fit in a corner. Sometimes the timings are such that eating beforehand is tricky, It's then piling on the agony, when you haven't been invited to partake, and before the end they tip the leftovers into bin bags to clear up. That happened to me on two consecutive occasions. :( And of course, on the one occasion when I had been invited to join in, it had been provided by the venue rather than guests, and was at best bland. ( And that's a very very kind description of it ;) )

Join in without being asked though? No way.

funkymook
30-07-2012, 12:32 PM
As a general question - why is it acceptable, and even expected, for a band and the photographer to be fed, have a rider, go to the buffet etc (and I've never heard or seen a disparaging comment form any guest or client about this) but many DJ's wouldn't dream of partaking even if it was offered?

We're usually onsite for more hours, probably have more contact with the clients over music choice, lighting colours, make more announcements etc.

ukpartydj
30-07-2012, 12:34 PM
I think I've been careless with saying "Stuck in", I will give a fair time after the guests have finished to allow somebody to offer me some food, if they don't then I will get "Stuck in".

I do get hungry very quickly which may effect my opinion as being hungry and working effects my performance.

What seems to be ringing quite clearly is you guys don't take food from the buffet because you may feel you may look bad. I'm not the most outgoing person myself and I do feel awkward getting food however I just think you're just scared somebody might think of you negatively?

Bit like when somebody offers you a biscuit and you say "no thanks" because it's polite. It's not polite it's stupid, if you want the bloody biscuit take it!

Maybe I'm just the DJ that takes the biscuit though!! :D

Mark Wild
30-07-2012, 12:59 PM
I do get hungry very quickly which may effect my opinion as being hungry and working effects my performance.

Take a few sarnies and a banana to 'work' with you then ;)

Corabar Entertainment
30-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Imagine you were working in an office, and your employer had clients in for a meeting which was going through lunchtime so sarnies had been ordered in.

In your work capacity, you had to go in to the meeting to set up the projector and screen (or anything else for that matter), would you then just go over to the table and take a few of the sandwiches without being asked?

....because that's exactly what you're doing as far as I'm concerned (except you've gone in with your own utensils too!

ukpartydj
30-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Take a few sarnies and a banana to 'work' with you then ;)

I normally do, perhaps I should cook a meal before i leave and pop it in a container or something then eat that... just seems a bit silly when there is a table filled with food.

Mark Wild
30-07-2012, 01:35 PM
I normally do, perhaps I should cook a meal before i leave and pop it in a container or something then eat that... just seems a bit silly when there is a table filled with food.

A table full of food for guests at the event you're working at, you're being paid to be there, can you not see that?

Ryu
30-07-2012, 01:38 PM

What...you mean...Going to work, fed and watered, prepared to do the Job you are paid to do...and you think THAT is the silly bit...because the party host prepares a table of food for their invited guests!?!

I have a large lunch ahead of an evening function and a bite to eat when I get home after. I'm often invited to help myself to food but don't because a) I'm not the biggest fan of buffet food anyway, and most importantly b) I'm a paid professional, there to work hard, not to stand there, plate in hand munching away. If it was a longer gig, I'd take a small snack, but take the opportunity to consume it in the most discreet way possible

With regard to the band thing...I have no idea really, I generally don't consider that element of Band Contracting particularly professional, but its the standard that has been set, so most bands go along with it.

Shaun
30-07-2012, 01:47 PM
What...you mean...Going to work, fed and watered, prepared to do the Job you are paid to do...and you think THAT is the silly bit...because the party host prepares a table of food for their invited guests!?!

I have a large lunch ahead of an evening function and a bite to eat when I get home after. I'm often invited to help myself to food but don't because a) I'm not the biggest fan of buffet food anyway, and most importantly b) I'm a paid professional, there to work hard, not to stand there, plate in hand munching away. If it was a longer gig, I'd take a small snack, but take the opportunity to consume it in the most discreet way possible

:like:

funkymook
30-07-2012, 01:51 PM
With regard to the band thing...I have no idea really, I generally don't consider that element of Band Contracting particularly professional, but its the standard that has been set, so most bands go along with it.

As you say it seems to be an accepted tradition for bands, and I also cringe when I see them in jeans and T-shirts mingling with the smartly dressed wedding guests in the buffet queue.

yourdj
30-07-2012, 01:54 PM

It was the knife and fork thing that got me. if the guests are having a buffet do you not think that cutlery will be provided :D

I would organise in advance with the client to get the venue to hold a meal back for me. Or get one of the staff to go up and get it.

I personally never go near the buffet table and help myself, I just do not feel it looks very good especially
after seeing other suppliers stuffing thier faces, even before the last tables have been called up :)

With evening gigs I always buy a sandwich on the way. occasionally dip in to the sweet table if there is one however :D

ukpartydj
30-07-2012, 02:03 PM
can't stop smiling with every comment about my knife and fork lol!

The office example is a bit different, I'm assuming whilst you're setting up the projector there wouldn't be anybody else in the room therefore nobody would know! :D

DazzyD
30-07-2012, 02:03 PM
After seeing caterer's defrost frozen (cooked then frozen) chicken in boxes on a venue radiator a few years ago, I don't eat from the buffet. That's a personal thing to me as I don't want to risk eating something that may adversely affect my stomach and not being able to complete the booking.

As for other DJs eating from the buffet, it's up to them. We've had the debates before about whether it's professionally acceptable to do so but, as far as I'm concerned, this is about personal choice. The same as the Stand Up - Sit Down debate. I've not got a problem with either.

Taking your own knife and fork - well, I can see the hygiene reasons behind that decision. I'm sure Michael Jackson used to take his own cutlery everywhere - along with his "clean bubble"!! :D :D :D

DazzyD
30-07-2012, 02:04 PM
can't stop smiling with every comment about my knife and fork lol!

The office example is a bit different, I'm assuming whilst you're setting up the projector there wouldn't be anybody else in the room therefore nobody would know! :D

:eek:

Where I work, that's called "theft" and it's a sackable offence!!

funkymook
30-07-2012, 02:10 PM
And if I may throw something else into the the discussion as it's been mentioned we should eat before going (maybe it's more relevant for multi ops with employees than single ops though).

As were often onsite for over 6 hours where do we stand in regards to rest breaks?

And there are also regulations regarding screen breaks (as lots of us also use laptops).

Now I know that most people just get on with the job at hand and ignore these sorts of things (and I'm guessing it doesn't apply if you're self-employed) - but if you do have people contracted as employee's then could discouraging them from taking any sort of break be illegal? (as in telling them not to eat while 'on duty' and not leave their posts).

Daryll
30-07-2012, 02:24 PM
My standard issue is 2 cartons of Cheery good , and a few sandwiches , If I am offered food , I will usually say no , or wait until the end.
9 times out of 10 , some one will bring me up a plate of something , and being vegetarian , that can be awful...... :D
The last two events I have done , the caterers have asked me if I wanted something . so I say "yes please" , and eat out of sight.

Daryll

Mark Wild
30-07-2012, 02:32 PM
9 times out of 10 , some one will bring me up a plate of something

I must live on a different planet :confused:

Jonathan Ford
30-07-2012, 02:34 PM
And if I may throw something else into the the discussion as it's been mentioned we should eat before going (maybe it's more relevant for multi ops with employees than single ops though).

As were often onsite for over 6 hours where do we stand in regards to rest breaks?

And there are also regulations regarding screen breaks (as lots of us also use laptops).

Now I know that most people just get on with the job at hand and ignore these sorts of things (and I'm guessing it doesn't apply if you're self-employed) - but if you do have people contracted as employee's then could discouraging them from taking any sort of break be illegal? (as in telling them not to eat while 'on duty' and not leave their posts).

I suppose it would be up to us to provide additional staff to cover these breaks, thus making almost every event a two person job.

ukpartydj...you're worrying me a little in this thread, particularly your admission that you'd be comfortable stealing food in the situation mentioned above. Makes me wonder what else you're willing to blag/corners to cut.

With regard to other suppliers, I agree that we should all be on an equal footing. As an obstinate old bugger, willing to dig my heels in over the most minor issues, I'd happily refuse to book a band/photographer if they insisted on me feeding them.

ukpartydj
30-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Makes me wonder what else you're willing to blag/corners to cut.

To save you wondering here is one -

When the area for me to set up isn't large enough I sometimes adjust my speaker tripods so that they aren't fully extended. If cannot be done safely I pop the speakers on the floor facing 45 degrees.
Also instead of buying smaller speaker scrims for if this ever happens I just tuck them under the poles!

That's technically 2 corner cuts!

To eat the buffet food or not to eat the buffet food.
To tip your waitress or not to tip your waitress.

I bet in another country they always eat the buffet food and feel insulted if it is not offered.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-07-2012, 04:58 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with eating if you are offered. Some people can be offended if you say no too!

There are clients who like their DJ to be fed and watered - I have heard that expression loads of times over the years.

If you are at an all day wedding, the B&G realise that you need to eat and generally will organise either sandwiches or a hot meal.

I don't get the whole 'it's unprofessional' thing. Eating a few sarnies out of site is a lot less unprofessional than being a cardboard box DJ IMO...

Shaun
30-07-2012, 06:31 PM
I don't get the whole 'it's unprofessional' thing.

I think Gary summed it up nicely....

.....but also that I don't think it looks good on my side because their guests won't know that I have been told it's ok.

Even if the client offers I think there can still be a chance that other guests may think "look at the DJs helping themselves to the buffet".

I'd rather just nip out to the van and have a sandwich I picked up from a service station.

ppentertainments
30-07-2012, 06:33 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with eating if you are offered. Some people can be offended if you say no too!

There are clients who like their DJ to be fed and watered - I have heard that expression loads of times over the years.

If you are at an all day wedding, the B&G realise that you need to eat and generally will organise either sandwiches or a hot meal.

I don't get the whole 'it's unprofessional' thing. Eating a few sarnies out of site is a lot less unprofessional than being a cardboard box DJ IMO...

Totally agree, Its beyond me people who will not eat because it looks 'unproffessional', eating is a natural body requirement.

Cowlinn
30-07-2012, 06:36 PM
On another note, why should the employer (in this case the client) be responsible for buying your meals?

My boss doesn't buy me lunch, why should your client buy you dinner?

I suppose going to the buffet after you've been offered is kind of acceptable, I'd never dream of doing it personally as it's been said before, no one else knows you've been asked. But taking your own knife and fork, that's hilarious (or a wind up)

Corabar Entertainment
30-07-2012, 07:27 PM
On another note, why should the employer (in this case the client) be responsible for buying your meals?

My boss doesn't buy me lunch, why should your client buy you dinner?Playing devil's advocate, I think you'll find that, if they send you off somewhere which would mean that you weren't able to have your normal lunch/dinner, then they WOULD be required to buy you your meal(s)!

funkymook
30-07-2012, 07:34 PM

My old employer gave us a subsidised canteen, lunch breaks, tea breaks, Christmas bonus, pension plan, paid holidays.........can someone please tell me why I gave it all up?

Ryu
30-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Totally agree, Its beyond me people who will not eat because it looks 'unproffessional', eating is a natural body requirement.

You kind of answered your own question (or your statement that you don't get it a least) I think most posters have mentioned having something to eat isn't the issue but for me, it's the 'stood there DJing with one hand, a plate of buffet in the other' image I find unprofessional. As I said, a discreet snack is a natural requirement on longer nights.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Even if the client offers I think there can still be a chance that other guests may think "look at the DJs helping themselves to the buffet".

I disagree and I'll tell you why. I have been at parties where I have made announcements on the mic and been ignored. Do you really think that people will either know who the DJ is or care that he's having something to eat?

I don't.

It's hardly drawing attention to yourself is it? To be honest, I used to think like that years ago, but not now. :)

paulg
30-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Can't see the difference between being seen drinking (pop, water or whatever) and putting a sandwich in your gob. The idea of taking a knife and fork is quite clever - you couldn't pinch a set of cutlery from a set table. Eating with your hands whilst everyone else uses cutlery would make you look a right chimp.

Does anyone take a back up knife and fork?

CRAZY K
30-07-2012, 07:58 PM
OMG!

Agree with that--many customers get offended if you refuse---- experience tells me its best to wait to be asked or shall we say put yourself in a postion where you get asked;)

We had a bit of a problem last year where an Entertainer was asked by a relative of the Party Girl to join the food queue --to be later criticised by the Party Girl for not having given her personal permission:daft:

It seems to be all or nothing---either they force you to eat more than you want OR absolutely nothing (food or drink) is offered all night.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I always take coffee, orange drink for my throat and choccie biscuits for later in case no one offers;)

To answer an earlier query I regularly do 12 to 14 hour stints --including travel--so I have a nice big lunch as late as possible --take something to munch before I get to the gig---and spend the rest of the night on soft drinks--followed by coffee and biscuits before I hit the road home--thats enough for me so I dont often need to eat at the gig.;)

Shaun
30-07-2012, 07:59 PM
I disagree and I'll tell you why. I have been at parties where I have made announcements on the mic and been ignored. Do you really think that people will either know who the DJ is or care that he's having something to eat?

Maybe, maybe not. I guess it comes down to personal feelings on it in the end, I just feel more comfortable not eating from the buffet. I've no problems with those that choose to do so though.

DazzyD
30-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Playing devil's advocate, I think you'll find that, if they send you off somewhere which would mean that you weren't able to have your normal lunch/dinner, then they WOULD be required to buy you your meal(s)!

It is my understanding that, while subsistence payments attract tax relief for the employer, the employer is not legally obliged to make such payments.

I could be wrong but I spent 7 years as an area rep for one of the biggest trader unions in the UK and it was always my understanding that our subsistence payment scheme was a "benefit" of employment agreed by the employer and the TU for our workers. I wasn't aware that the employer was legally force to do this. I've searched t'internet for the subject and still can't find anywhere where it states that this is a legal requirement?? :confused:

Corabar Entertainment
30-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Could be wrong on that then, Dazzy as I wouldn't swear to it. I just have something buzzing around in the back of my head from many moons ago - and certainly I have experience of 2 employers who I doubt would give you their leftovers if they didn't have to, and they both paid subsistence allowance.

If I get time, I'll have a little gander myself.

Solitaire Events Ltd
30-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Maybe, maybe not. I guess it comes down to personal feelings on it in the end

Agreed.

funkymook
30-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Funnily enough a bride has just called me (I'm doing her wedding in two weeks time) and gone through the menu with me so I can choose what I want to eat.

Mark Wild
30-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Funnily enough a bride has just called me (I'm doing her wedding in two weeks time) and gone through the menu with me so I can choose what I want to eat.

That's not a buffet though ;-)

funkymook
30-07-2012, 10:50 PM
That's not a buffet though ;-)

That's very true, but while she was on the phone I put myself down for 8 sausage rolls, 3 BBQ drumsticks and half a quiche from the evening selection!

ppentertainments
30-07-2012, 10:54 PM
That's very true, but while she was on the phone I put myself down for 8 sausage rolls, 3 BBQ drumstick:D s and half a quiche from the evening selection!

Now there's an idea, if we could pre-order we wouldn't have to queue in view of the guests - job sorted

CRAZY K
31-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Now there's an idea, if we could pre-order we wouldn't have to queue in view of the guests - job sorted

Perhaps when sending out the Contract as well as asking for a request list enclose the DJs preferred food list.

:sofa:

funkymook
31-07-2012, 09:31 AM
I'd say it was fair that for every request on their playlist we choose one item from their buffet!

lazersounds
31-07-2012, 10:46 AM
I'd say it was fair that for every request on their playlist we choose one item from their buffet!

:like:

supersound
31-07-2012, 11:31 AM

Knowing my luck I would get a peanut only buffet

Twinspin
31-07-2012, 12:02 PM
I sometimes buy a pack of cocktail sausage rolls from Asda you get about 20 in a pack for £1.50.

I just put them on the bottom shelf of my ultimax stand. Then me or the roadie can help ourselves. If not its a bag of chips on the way home occasionally.

ukpartydj
31-07-2012, 05:58 PM
The idea of taking a knife and fork is quite clever

It took a while but I believe one person understands my way of thinking :)

I have previously worked for Sainsburys nightshift and they try and get back the money they pay you in the canteen!

Cans of Coca Cola - 60p in canteen and 50p on shop floor
Half the time the machine gobbled your money as well!

Mark Wild
31-07-2012, 06:28 PM
It took a while but I believe one person understands my way of thinking :)

I have previously worked for Sainsburys nightshift and they try and get back the money they pay you in the canteen!

Cans of Coca Cola - 60p in canteen and 50p on shop floor
Half the time the machine gobbled your money as well!

Did you take a knife and fork to work and steal food from there too !!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :p :D

messiahwannabe
06-08-2012, 04:37 AM
gotta weigh in on the "hell yes i eat from the buffet" side. often i'm there from 11am making sure the sound system is up and running and don't leave till after midninght, and i'll be damned if i'm going to starve that whole time. usually (but not always) i can manage to hop in my car and drive off for lunch, but dinner? forget it, i'm stuck at the venue. and while i can see where it might seem polite to wait for someone to voluntarily ask you if you need some food or a beverage, what often happens is that the last thing on the minds of 2 people who just got frikkin married is whether the dj is hungry or not. they do not care, and i don't expect them to either. same can be said for the wedding planner, shes usually got her hands full and doesn't need one more thing to think about.

so, i just wait till they tell me to shut up for the speeches (usually well into dinner, when everyone's already had a go at the food tables) and that's my cue to unobtrusively head to the buffet, grab a plate, help myself, then scarf down my quick high protein meal off in a corner where i'm not so visible to the guests. no one's ever minded as far as i can tell. and if they do, frankly they can go :Censored: themselves lol a man's gotta eat.

obviously if i'm only spinning 9 to 12, and not doing the sound, then i can just grab a burger on the way to work and leave the guest's food alone. but that rarely happens!

i'm bringing a knife and fork to the next gig, that's actually an immensely practical idea

SoundONE
06-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Never heard of taking a packed lunch to work?

I always insure we take our own food and drink, we don't expect it to be provided ever and would never dream of just going up and helping ourselfs to someone's buffet. Often we are told to help ourselves to food and I never do. Saturdays wedding for example we were told via the band it was free drinks for the DJ, I went to the bar and the lady said your don't have to pay for your drinks which I was supprised by because all the guests had to pay £3.00 for the glass although the drink was free, it was there way of getting around the licence, as they were claiming they were giving the beer/wine etc for free but the guests had to pay £3.00 for their beer/wine glass, which of course was one of those 10 pence plastic things.

Don't fancy there chances if it came to court about the licence but that's not my responsibility.

The way we see it, it was a nice guesture and unexpected treat.

ppentertainments
06-08-2012, 12:40 PM
To those who refuse food/drink when offered - do you not think it is as offensive to refuse as it is to help yourself ??

funkymook
06-08-2012, 01:21 PM
To those who refuse food/drink when offered - do you not think it is as offensive to refuse as it is to help yourself ??

especially when dealing with other cultures...

SoundONE
06-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Personally I am really fussy eater, so they very seldom have anything I would eat, I also hate the thought of everyone breathing on it, unwashed fingers touching or getting picked at by every other guest etc, so anything that comes into that category is a 100% no no for me. Most of the people who work for me have also adopted my reasoning, although I would say there is one who isn't as bothered about the hygiene as the rest of us.

I don't think it's offensive to refuse, I always say thank you that's very kind of you but I'm a really fussy eater and I have brought my own.

I don't think it looks bad if the DJ is queing up, but I personaly would never que. If I was offered and something on the tables did take my fancy I would wait until there wasn't a que. But like I say it would have to be something that was protected from dozens of guests fingers and breath.

However when it comes to drinks, I have no problem in joining the que at the bar for water, juice, coke, or even beer, it's rare to go to a bar without a que, unless it's sky high prices.

djdave01
06-08-2012, 01:29 PM

thats what i think too, if im offered a drink i'll always accept so as not to be rude (just a blackcurrent & lemonade though)

Im almost always offered food from the buffet, again i think its rude to decline. A couple of sandwiches & a sauage roll is my limit.

DazzyD
06-08-2012, 02:50 PM

No I don't thinks it's rude to refuse an offer of anything. I was once offered something illegal at a show I was promoting. I refused. Does anyone think I was being rude to do that? I can't see the difference, personally.

DJ Jules
06-08-2012, 03:34 PM
There's two ways people look at this situation:

1. They're employing a service person for the day working for them, so why should they feed them too (especially if they're paying £15+/head for the buffet?) If you have builders in your house would you expect to feed them, or pay for their food in addition to the fees that you're already paying them?

2. They're employing someone who is key to the success of the day and they'll support them anyway they can - and besides they've already paid for the buffet so it doesn't matter how many people eat from it?

Generally, I'll make sure that I bring whatever I need to do an event, to the event - and that includes food/drink (especially in hotels that I know charge £3+ for a water). However, if I think I'll offend someone by refusing, I will politely accept offers of food - as long as it's not going to screw with my diet :P

I think you have to take each event on it's own merits, but I think to dig in without being offered is just plain rude. Not doing this won't offend anyone (as you're not refusing anyone's explicit hospitality), but doing it could easily offend your host and potentially the guests as well.

Julian

SwingKing
25-10-2012, 11:54 PM
I always wait to be offered, I think it's good etiquette. On gig days, I don't eat after two o'clock in the afternoon so by the time I've finished performing I tend to look a bit starved anyway! I find that the Oliver Twist look does work in my favour and I always get offered a go at the buffet!

And why do other peoples' buffets always taste better than your own?!

DJ Jules
26-10-2012, 08:12 AM
And why do other peoples' buffets always taste better than your own?!

Because they've paid more for them? :devil: :D

Julian

PureWeddingDJs
29-10-2012, 01:04 AM
I dont ask

PureWeddingDJs
30-10-2012, 01:28 AM
Ive decided to add this to my contract now, so i dont have to worry about if they mind or not, not that i worried before really.

Buffet - Yes/No (approx time) are Pure Wedding DJ's staff allowed to partake? - Yes/No