PDA

View Full Version : Levels before switching on

DJay
13-10-2006, 08:57 PM
I now have my Behringer amp. Sadly Decks.co,uk only had 1. I need another (but they offer 2 year warrenty so may just wait for their stock).

I have plugged 1 set of speakers into the amp. So where should I have all the dials and faders befroe I switch the power on? Faders and dials to consider are:

1. Amp volume
2. mixer master
3. Mixer channel gain
4. Mixer channel fader

Also, how do I know how far I should be pushing each fader/dial?

For those not familure with my set-up:

2 x 400 watt rma tops with 2 x behringer amps (750 rms each channel)

2 x 700 watt subs with 2 x behringer amps (750 rms each channel)

There is a Clip light at the front of the amp. Should this ever flicker?

spin mobile disco
13-10-2006, 09:00 PM
mixer main input should be on zero as should the gain on the amp. You should turn decks on first then mixer then amp. Turn amp to maximum on the pots, then set required volume on main fader on decks. The use each channel slider to take up difference in volume between tracks.

Thames Valley Discos
13-10-2006, 11:44 PM
i,d Disagree, Start up as mentioned, but set mixer main gain and channel gains to the point where you are running at about 3db. Then turn amp gain to the volume you require, never normally full on. Clipping lights are telling you you are running at full power , so if they just start clipping thats ok, but if they are on all the time, you either have a problem, or you are pushing amp too hard.
Turn off in the reverse of turning on.
Your volume should be adjusted with the amp, rather than with your mixer.
Once mixer is running at its optimum db, then is the time to adjust amp gain to the desired l;evel

DJay
14-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Turn the amp to mAX???? Is there not a danger of A: blowing the speakers and B: accidently nudging a fader of gain control whilst 'live'???

ANother question:
I was only able to obtain 1 Behringer EP2500 amp as they did not have another in stock. So the 2nd one is on order. By the way, I paid £237, with 3 years warrenty, free loan unit if the 2500 breaks, free collection if it breaks etc...

This is a good oppertunity for me to make sure that in a situation where 1 amp blows, I can finish a disco with 1 amp.

So, I have connected the CH1 on the AMP to the Top speaker (400 watts). Then a cable from the top to the Sub (700 wats). Now they are both 4 ohms, so I assume they will run at 2 ohms with 2 speakers on the same channel. The Amp says that it gives out 1200 watts at 2 ohms. But how dooes it know to supply less wattage to the top because it is lower in watts and not to blow the unit? I guess the answer will be 'watch your levels'? I need to know how to adjust the amp/mixer master/gain controls in thios test scenario. Once I have some advice, will give it a go and let you know how it sounds.

Jay

dj-jaym
14-10-2006, 12:11 PM
I think you need to find if your subs have internal crossovers,

if they do you need to go to sub first

then sub to top

DJay
14-10-2006, 12:19 PM
I have attached the Crossover info for the sub....

Danno13
14-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Definatley sub first.. then from the "high passoutput" to the top.

spin mobile disco
14-10-2006, 11:25 PM
The speakers should already be matched to the amp, therfore amp should be set to maximum for the correct feed of power for speakers. All volume control should be from your mixer.
And not splitting hairs or anything but 3db is lower than ambients noise (which even in a library is about 40db) or did you mean the 3dm level marker on the EQ?

And 2 ohms ? ouch I wouldnt recomend that myself, others may use this im not sure but personally I use 8ohms and only 4 ohms when unning an extra pair of speakers in parallel. Im told that 8 ohms is the least stress on your amp and 2 ohms is the most you can stress it.

Thames Valley Discos
15-10-2006, 01:12 AM
The speakers should already be matched to the amp, therfore amp should be set to maximum for the correct feed of power for speakers. All volume control should be from your mixer.
And not splitting hairs or anything but 3db is lower than ambients noise (which even in a library is about 40db) or did you mean the 3dm level marker on the EQ?

And 2 ohms ? ouch I wouldnt recomend that myself, others may use this im not sure but personally I use 8ohms and only 4 ohms when unning an extra pair of speakers in parallel. Im told that 8 ohms is the least stress on your amp and 2 ohms is the most you can stress it.
still disagree with that, a mixer has an optimum level to work at, thus the amp gain should be your master volume gain. never have i had my amp on full gain. and 2 ohm, could cook the amp,

Have a disco
15-10-2006, 02:04 AM
I will agree with turning the amp on full every time then keep the decks/mixer master down as low as required for the speakers

spin mobile disco
15-10-2006, 02:06 AM
still disagree with that, a mixer has an optimum level to work at, thus the amp gain should be your master volume gain. never have i had my amp on full gain. and 2 ohm, could cook the amp,

Yep as I said I wouldnt recomend 2 ohm, but if an amp is rated for a specific output and matched to your speakers for example 300 wrm per channel from amp and 300wrms speakers (about 600 watt program) then the amp max gain should be required to get maximum efficiency from speaker.

Its the preamp signal we use to set quality, tone, pitch and volume. I,m sure that some setups may not be able to do this. But for example a mosfet based amp would benefit but a valve based amp would distort.

DJay
15-10-2006, 09:33 PM
OK, been toying with this kit for 2 days now and have noticed something which is worrying. I tried different combinations of switching the kit off, making sure that with any combination I turned all faders and gains to 0 before switching the power off. WHen you switch the amp off the speakers make a intermitant 2 second buzz for about 10 seconds... What an earth is all that about????? Is the amp cleansing itself of any power residue???!!

Thames Valley Discos
15-10-2006, 09:57 PM
read page 207
http://mackie.com/pdf/CMRefGuide/Tips_Ch4.pdf
and read here as written by Chris Vice

Technical Writer, Crown International

http://www.soundandsong.com/Issue003/003TIP_AMP.html
Basically if you dont set your mixer gains correctly, you will have to increase your amps gain to compensate.
An amp can provide full power at low gains if the mixer provides enough signal to the amp.
as i said, "When setting system gain, start at the front of the system (mixer) and work your way toward the amplifier. A system with the lowest noise floor and maximum overall gain will have as much gain as possible early in the signal chain.
as i said "Start out by setting the mixer’s individual channels to 0 dB. The individual channels will vary somewhat from this in the course of setting the mix, but it is a good target position. After the mix is set, adjust the master levels on the mixer to 0 dB. ( i run my mixer at a bit more than 0db)Any signal processing equipment should generally be set to 0 dB as well, with some exceptions.

Once these levels are set, it’s time to set up the amplifier. If the amplifier has a sensitivity setting, set it to match as closely as possible the output of our mixer and other gear (usually around 1.4v). Now turn on the amplifier and adjust the level controls to the desired sound level.

Your volume should be controlled by the amp and not the mixer.

spin mobile disco
16-10-2006, 02:17 PM
The buzz may be caused by the relays on the amp, when an amp is switched on (this is some models only NOT all) the relays disconnect the speakers from the amp then connect them after a set of basic tests. Continuity and the like. The relay requires power and it may be that as the relay loses power the buzz is the residual just before it diconnects.
I dont think it is anything to worry about.

And as for shutting down equipment I personally turn all faders to zero then turn of mixer then decks then amp. This is personal preference as I find there are no loud pops or static from speakers.

In reply to previous post by Thames valley disco, yes i read document and this is there opinion, but I know a lot of dj's prefer to use mixer for levels. If only because the average amp had 2 pots one for each channel but the mixer allows you to control both with one fader.
Also im note sure what amp others may use but mine has a full led power monitor that lets you know when you are approaching max output etc, and I find that having amp at max output all the time allows me to better control high differences between track levels.
I agree that for some this may not be how they do it but for others it suits them better. A bit like the 'lightbox dillema' .

Bottom line I think we can only offer our opinion and what we do/ or works for us.

Have a disco
16-10-2006, 03:41 PM
do find turning amp down then the rest down and off followed buy switching amp off usually works fine

but I also keep master volume control on the mixer just under half with the amp on full gives plenty of volume for most venues I have done Cant see point of have an amp strain at half power all night when its built to maximise out for easier cooling ability this at least gives me room to maouvre with the master volume control in either direction in fact over 20years it has never let me down

But then everyone does it different

Thames Valley Discos
16-10-2006, 04:59 PM
do find turning amp down then the rest down and off followed buy switching amp off usually works fine

but I also keep master volume control on the mixer just under half with the amp on full gives plenty of volume for most venues I have done Cant see point of have an amp strain at half power all night when its built to maximise out for easier cooling ability this at least gives me room to maouvre with the master volume control in either direction in fact over 20years it has never let me down

But then everyone does it different

An Amp can run at full power with gain below max, its the input to the amp that determines this Wabbit. If your mixer is not able to supply the right signal, even with amp gains at full, it wont be at max power.

DJay
16-10-2006, 05:20 PM
So the tick,tick,tick,tick noise coming out of the speakers is fine? Will it not blow the speakers???

Thames Valley Discos
16-10-2006, 05:39 PM
no, An amp will still hold residual p[ower even when switched of because it has whopping great capacitors in it. But i would recommend turning amp on last with gains off, and off last. I assume the tic noise is after amp is powered off?

DJay
16-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Yes it is after the amp is turned off and the clip lights flash until the power dies...

Corabar Steve
16-10-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm so glad I know how this works, coz after reading this thread (if I was a beginner) :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Talk about conflicting opinions!

Thames Valley Discos
16-10-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm so glad I know how this works, coz after reading this thread (if I was a beginner) :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Talk about conflicting opinions!
Only saying it the way i see it, and from my knowledge on the subject. It is only advice :)
And your opinion on the subject Steve :)
"conflicting opinions!"
are most threads on the forum not such? :teeth:

spin mobile disco
17-10-2006, 01:09 PM
I dont think we have had a thread people dont confict or have different opinions for that matter. But that is what forums are for, an exchange of views knowledge and information.

That and laughing at each others rigs lol (Just kidding)

DJay
17-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Whatever your thoughts folks, I appreciate all your help :)

Have a disco
17-10-2006, 01:31 PM
will say turning it on last and off last very sound advice from thames valley as till you turn up the amp it dont really make alot of diference but you do need to let it cool off as in a sense as capacitors take about 10 minutes longer than anything else within amps even if unplugged the light stays on on most amps I have used.............

DJay
17-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Folks,

I sent this question to Behringer Tech Support:

I have 2 tops, 2 subs and just purchased 2 EP2500 amps. I have a left and right XLR output from my mixer going into 1 of my EP2500 amplifiers. I have my subs connected to this amp. My tops are connected to the other EP2500, but I'm not sure how to get the signal from Amp 1 to Amp 2. Here is what my set-up looks like: http://jay.fireflyinternet.co.uk/kit.jpg

Please can you tell me how I can have 1 amp for my subs and 1 amp for my tops? I really do not want to buy a crossover - although my subs already have a crossover.

Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, as long as your mixing desk does not give the option of an additional sub out, you will need an external ( active ) crossover, there is no other way.
If you don´t mind having a look at the CX2310, for example?

I THEN SAID TO THEM:

Someone has told me that I can connect the Input from Amp1 to the Input on
Amp2. Is this true?

Also, I have another question. When I switch the EP2500 off, it makes a
buzzing noise in all the speakers and the clip lights come on and off. This
happens for about 30 seconds.

yes, it would be working, but there is a dampaning in signal of roundabout -3 dB.
The other solution:
Use the power amps in mono mode, and use one per side.
Then go to the bassbins, and link the signal via the internal passive crossover to the full range cabinet.

If the power amps are turned off, please turn the volume potentiometer to zero first!
tghe buzzing and so comes from the capacitors, these are discharging.
It´s no defect.

So contrary to saying two amps cannot be connected together, they now say it is possible!!! But what does "damping in signal of round about 3DB" mean?

By the way, for those wondering why I am asking this question, it;s because I already have 1 Behringer 2500 and want to buy another. But I need to make sure they will work together.

Jay

Danno13
17-10-2006, 06:02 PM
All you need is two Jack to XLR cables.. then just come out of the jack sockets next to input 1 and 2 and into the second amp.

Thames Valley Discos
17-10-2006, 06:39 PM
or jack to jack cable. They will work fine together, dont worry, just buy them

Thames Valley Discos
17-10-2006, 11:07 PM
During operation of the amplifier, the overdimensioned capacitors in the output stages of the EP2500 will store a considerable amount of electrical charge. After power down, it takes quite a while for these capacitors to discharge. If there is any input signal present at the moment the power is switched off, this will affect the way in which the output transistors behave as the capacitors lose their charge - which can result in a slight rustling sound coming from the loudspeakers. As the operational supply voltages collapse, this may also cause the signal LEDs to flicker. This is perfectly normal and no reason for concern. There is no risk of damage to the loudspeakers, however it is generally good pratice to shut off the signal at the mixing console first before powering down the system.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-10-2006, 11:19 PM
I can copy and paste too Paul...

Thames Valley Discos
17-10-2006, 11:35 PM
can you? :)
it was to make a point, and easier than typing it. :teeth:
and it was worded better than i can.

Corabar Steve
17-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Can you put that into plain English please Paul?

Thames Valley Discos
17-10-2006, 11:50 PM
it was refering to the noise after turning amp off. i said earlier about the capacitors, and the order to switch off. this kinda summed up my previous points

Corabar Entertainment
17-10-2006, 11:52 PM
can you? :)
it was to make a point, and easier than typing it. :teeth:
and it was worded better than i can....but it is only right to give credit to an author if you 'borrow' anything, don't you think? :) :)

Thames Valley Discos
17-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Blimey, talk about gang up after me giving someone good advise, i will refrain from such in future. Kind of pointless having a forum or a technical thread.
not much help from MODs or admins is there.

Corabar Entertainment
18-10-2006, 12:04 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Have a disco
18-10-2006, 12:06 AM
LOL dont worry thames no one is ganging up on you LOL

PS only noise I here after a gig is the tinitus ringing as ever even with earplugs in just a downside to the job really

Thames Valley Discos
18-10-2006, 12:08 AM
OK
2 comments from Steve,
1 from Darren
your good self,
but to date, no help to original post.
I have tried to help, but rather than say good/bad advise, i get,
but it is only right to give credit to an author if you 'borrow' anything, don't you think?
Can you put that into plain English please Paul

I'm so glad I know how this works, coz after reading this thread (if I was a beginner) Talk about conflicting opinions!

At least i tried to help.

Have a disco
18-10-2006, 12:12 AM
Ive had this row for 2 decades on how systems and amps should be started up and shut down everyone is different

Thames Valley Discos
18-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Ive had this row for 2 decades on how systems and amps should be started up and shut down everyone is different
thats not my point with all due respect.
i know my place, and thats where i,ll stay :)
I will continue to read and learn, but will be inclined not to join in

Corabar Entertainment
18-10-2006, 12:16 AM
We're certainly not ganging up on you, Paul - we haven't conferred or liaised in any way whatsoever!!! :omg:

I can't speak for the others, but I would not presume to even try and answer the original post, as I do not have the technical knowledge to do so.... but surely you cannot deny that, reading this thread, someone could easily get confused? - and it IS always a good idea to credit an author with something if you use their script: apart from anything else, the original author could get rather upset about his/her 'work' being copied without credit, and, since mods and admins are held legally responsible for the forum's content, I think I was rather gentle in the way that I put it... including the smilies at the end!! :omg:

I am sure that those asking for assistance appreciate your help and advice.

Corabar Steve
18-10-2006, 12:25 AM
I was merely asking for a bit of clarity

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-10-2006, 12:33 AM
OK
2 comments from Steve,
1 from Darren
your good self,
but to date, no help to original post.
I have tried to help, but rather than say good/bad advise, i get,
but it is only right to give credit to an author if you 'borrow' anything, don't you think?
Can you put that into plain English please Paul

I'm so glad I know how this works, coz after reading this thread (if I was a beginner) Talk about conflicting opinions!

At least i tried to help.

Don't be so touchy Paul.

You did copy and paste, which is plain to see, and I meant it as a light hearted comment.

I remember you on another forum fairly recently asking very basic questions, so you must have been reading and learning lots! :)

Paul James Promotions
18-10-2006, 12:37 AM
I always run amplifiers at full. The dials control the ratio of the output in comparison to the input, they don't alter the amount of power produced by the amp.

Running the amp gains at full reduces the chance of distortion from your mixer.

Ricesnaps
18-10-2006, 06:54 AM
Wow, another sizziling hot topic!

Personally, whether it's right or wrong, I've always been a "don't turn the amp up full" kinda guy. Always been told that it's just about making sure you keep you rmixer out of the red.

The EP2500 has a lot of power and have never been anywhere that I have needed it any more than about 50% on the dials anyway.

Each to there own though.

Corabar Steve
18-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Personally, whether it's right or wrong, I've always been a "don't turn the amp up full" kinda guy. Always been told that it's just about making sure you keep you rmixer out of the red.
But then surely turning the amp up would make sense?

Paul James Promotions
18-10-2006, 02:47 PM
The EP2500 has a lot of power and have never been anywhere that I have needed it any more than about 50% on the dials anyway.

The dials control the ratio of the output in comparison to the input, they don't alter the amount of power produced by the amp

:teeth: :teeth:

Ricesnaps
18-10-2006, 02:52 PM
But then surely turning the amp up would make sense?
Honestly??

Just always been advised not to run my amp like that. Also have never ever needed too - can happily run with dials on amp at 50% and not hit the red on the mixer.

I guess personally there are a number of things that "worry" me about simply wacking the amp up full (although I do apreciate the arguments being made). For me, I am just a little concerned that the total output capability of my amp is more than my speakers say they are able to handle. Therefore, although it is unlikely to ever need to go that loud, I am always a little worried that I will end up causing harm to my speakers by feeding them with 1200 watts when they are only meant to take 700 watts.

I apreciate that the main killer of speakers is distortion and that it is easier to get distortion from an over pushed mixer than a fully turned up amp, but in my limitted brain, it seems much better to do both, just in case.

I would be willing to listen to a fully thought out and correctly argued case for running an amp at full and using mixer volume - how do you cope with the vast difference in recording levels on CD's though....

Ricesnaps
18-10-2006, 02:53 PM
:teeth: :teeth:
Any chance of that in english please - I really am interested in learning please

Paul James Promotions
18-10-2006, 02:56 PM
The dials are simply to control the output to input ratio, and makes no difference to the wattage output of the amplifier. Your amp will still hit clip at the same volume no matter where the dials are set.

With the amp at full, you have less chance of any distortion going to your amplifier from your mixer.

Hope this clarifies

Jamie

Ricesnaps
18-10-2006, 02:57 PM
The dials are simply to control the output to input ratio, and makes no difference to the wattage output of the amplifier. Your amp will still hit clip at the same volume no matter where the dials are set.

With the amp at full, you have less chance of any distortion going to your amplifier from your mixer.

Hope this clarifies

Jamie
Not at all I'm afraid - no idea what you mean. English please! :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
18-10-2006, 02:59 PM
OK - as a complete non-techie (and tell me if I'm wrong here Ricesnaps) it's the "control the output to input ratio" bit that I do not understand Jamie :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Danno13
18-10-2006, 03:00 PM
To give an example.. (figures are completely random here)

With an amp on half you mixer master fader would have to be at 7 to reach full output from the amp, thereby being closer to the red on the mixer. So if the next track you mixed in was slightly louder it could force the mixer into the red and clip the amp inputs.

With the amp on full, you might only need the mixer at 4 to acheive full amp output. In this case it'll be a lot harder to clip the mixer (and therefore the amp inputs). If you do run the mixer any louder (but not into the red) then you will get distortion, but this isnt as bad as having clipped inputs being amplified and sent out to the speakers, as in the previous case.

Ricesnaps
18-10-2006, 03:02 PM
OK - as a complete non-techie (and tell me if I'm wrong here Ricesnaps) it's the "control the output to input ratio" bit that I do not understand Jamie :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:
Yep - that's the bit for me too.

As a slight aside, are we being told that if I turn the volume on my amp up to full (EP2500, so maximum power output would be 1250 watts per side for sake of argument), run my mixer up to the red line (not over), my Mach speakers, specified at 700 watts each at 4 ohm (I think), will just get louder and not fry themselves?

If so, why????? cos I am not getting it.

Ricesnaps
18-10-2006, 03:05 PM
To give an example.. (figures are completely random here)

With an amp on half you mixer master fader would have to be at 7 to reach full output from the amp, thereby being closer to the red on the mixer. So if the next track you mixed in was slightly louder it could force the mixer into the red and clip the amp inputs.

With the amp on full, you might only need the mixer at 4 to acheive full amp output. In this case it'll be a lot harder to clip the mixer (and therefore the amp inputs). If you do run the mixer any louder (but not into the red) then you will get distortion, but this isnt as bad as having clipped inputs being amplified and sent out to the speakers, as in the previous case.
And I get that completely - although as long as you don't go into the red on the mixer, I can't see how it matters I am not on full on the amp. Surely being on full means my speakers fry if I turn the mixer up too high.

Currently I am very much thinking it's much better to stay out of the red and reduce the amp volume - but seems I am wrong, I just don't understand why!

Paul James Promotions
18-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Right, the EP2500 is rated at 750 watts per channel into 4 ohms, which is perfectly matched for your speakers.

No matter how you set the amplifier dials, perhaps on a quater, half way or full, you will still get 750 watts per channel from the amplifier. The higher you set your amplifier, the lower your mixer needs to be set to achieve the same output volume of your system.

The 1250watt per channel you mentioned is only given when the amp runs at 2 ohms. For this, you would need to be running 4 of your Mach speakers instead of just 2.

Finally, don't worry about 'frying' speakers. Any professional speaker cabinet will handle twice it's rated RMS rating in watts, providing you don't let your amplifier or mixer go into clip.

Jamie

Danno13
18-10-2006, 03:16 PM
You'll be fine aslong as you avoid the red.. but with the amp on half and the mixer fader higher.. its easier to accidentally push it into clip, as per the example i gave with a new track being faded in which is louder. Another example could be mid beatmix where you've got two bass lines...

With the mixer lower you're far more likely to spot the warning signs before you come anywhere near the dreaded red.

Paul James Promotions
18-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Currently I am very much thinking it's much better to stay out of the red and reduce the amp volume - but seems I am wrong, I just don't understand why!

No, you are not wrong as such. But running amplifiers at full means less chance of distortion.

Ricesnaps
18-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Right, the EP2500 is rated at 750 watts per channel into 4 ohms, which is perfectly matched for your speakers.

No matter how you set the amplifier dials, perhaps on a quater, half way or full, you will still get 750 watts per channel from the amplifier. The higher you set your amplifier, the lower your mixer needs to be set to achieve the same output volume of your system.

The 1250watt per channel you mentioned is only given when the amp runs at 2 ohms. For this, you would need to be running 4 of your Mach speakers instead of just 2.

Finally, don't worry about 'frying' speakers. Any professional speaker cabinet will handle twice it's rated RMS rating in watts, providing you don't let your amplifier or mixer go into clip.

Jamie

Thanks for that Jamie.

I actually use the high pass output on the sub, which from memory I think presents an 8 ohm load to the amplifier, which may be why I have tended to be a little more safe.

From what you are suggesting, even using the high pass fromm the sub, i can wack up my Behringer to full and as long as my mixer doesn't go into the red, I am fine? No problems?

WOW! now I can do rooms twice the size - to me that means more volume!

Paul James Promotions
18-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Just to be sure, tell me exactly which speakers you are using, and I will look at the specs. Would also be helpful to explain how you wire it up at present.

Jamie

spin mobile disco
18-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Also remember to watch the clip lights on the amp, their still important.

Ricesnaps
18-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Martin Mach TX15 Subs
Martin Mach M-Flex 15's

Output from amp to sub. Then from top socket on sub (which I think is called a high pass output? It's the one that allows the sub to only send the output from it's crossover if that helps) to the M-Flex.

As I understood it from the manuals, if I don't use the highpass, it tricks the amp into seeing the two speakers wired in "series parralel" and presents a 4 ohm load. The high pass output doesn't and therefore I get a series connection and as such an 8ohm load?

I'm sure I'm close with that aren't I? 9 out of 10 for effort?

Paul James Promotions
18-10-2006, 03:35 PM
OK, had a quick look through the manual, can't find much information regarding the hi pass filters in the subs.

However, whether you use the Hi Pass filters or not, you won't be overdriving the system with the amp set to full. Just keep the amplifier from clipping.

Jamie

DJay
18-10-2006, 05:09 PM
I started this post and I can honestly say that Thames Valley has really helped. It's enthusiasm such as yours that helps people struggling to understand like me. Gracias :)

Jay

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Just buy a Peavey PV2600 with DDT and then you won't even send a distorted siganl to your speakers, so it won't matter where you set the gains...

DJay
18-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Hey Daz,

the 2600 is over my budget! The EP2500 is £215. It think the PV2600 is around £350.

Corabar Steve
18-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Isn't DDT a highly toxic pesticide? :teeth:

(Roughly translated: What's DDT?)

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Isn't DDT a highly toxic pesticide? :teeth:

(Roughly translated: What's DDT?)

Distortion Detection Technology

It basically means that the amp will not send a distorted signal to the speakers. A limiter if you like.

Paul James Promotions
18-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Distortion Detection Technology

It basically means that the amp will not send a distorted signal to the speakers. A limiter if you like.

I think it's just a posh version of a clip light :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-10-2006, 05:50 PM
I think it's just a posh version of a clip light :teeth:

No, it stops it before it clips, therefore not letting the distorted signal get through.

spin mobile disco
21-10-2006, 03:25 PM
But isnt that what a mosfet type amp is supposed to do anyway?