PDA

View Full Version : No power to hard drive

Spirits High
29-08-2012, 02:44 PM
I use an external iomega 1tb hd on my desktop to store my itunes library, photos and other bits.

I've turned on the desktop today but the ext drive has no power! I've checked all connections tried a different power source but still no joy.

Do these HD's have an internal fuse or anything?

Any advice would be useful.

katman
29-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Have you tried some other USB device in the socket on the PC ?

Some PC's have onboard non replaceable ( without unsoldering ) fuses on the motherboard. I blew the fuse on one of my motherboards and lost the 4 USB sockets on the back panel but the two on the front still worked.

Many will also shut down USB power if the device tries to draw too much. If you are going via a hub which isnt powered then all devices connected to it, plus the hub itself are drawing power from the same USB port.

Spirits High
29-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Have you tried some other USB device in the socket on the PC ?

Some PC's have onboard non replaceable ( without unsoldering ) fuses on the motherboard. I blew the fuse on one of my motherboards and lost the 4 USB sockets on the back panel but the two on the front still worked.

Many will also shut down USB power if the device tries to draw too much. If you are going via a hub which isnt powered then all devices connected to it, plus the hub itself are drawing power from the same USB port.

Not sure if I wasn't clear initially.

There's no power in the hard drive ie: the "I'm working" light isn't on and there's no internal noise from the HD.

katman
29-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Sorry, misread your original post and thought you were powering it from the PC rather than an external power supply.

I will get my coat.

DazzyD
29-08-2012, 05:37 PM
I've had this problem twice now with the black shiny enclosures. I've take. the drives out and put them in new aluminum enclosures and they work fine.

Excalibur
29-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Have you checked whether the original power source is providing power? If it shows power with a multimeter, then the problem is likely to be internal, if there's no power showing from the power supply, then that's the place to look. ( I'm assuming you didn't have an identical power supply spare as a test, ie from an identical drive you were using as a backup )

Spirits High
29-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Have you checked whether the original power source is providing power? If it shows power with a multimeter, then the problem is likely to be internal, if there's no power showing from the power supply, then that's the place to look. ( I'm assuming you didn't have an identical power supply spare as a test, ie from an identical drive you were using as a backup )

Yep, have tried that and still no joy.

going to take it to a local independent pc shop tomorrow :(

hadyn
30-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Correct me if im wrong but sometimes with these external hd's if there is no connection with the usb to the pc then the unit defaults to off with no power
i have an imeoga 1 tb drive and unless the usb lead is connected and working then there is no power up with the hd
first test is to check power supply with multimeter
second is to check usb lead works ok
third is to remove sata drive from hd enclosure and plug into pc as a slave drive to check if drive is ok and powers up
if all ok only remaining check is internal circuitary on hd enclosure which unless you know what your doing like resoldering dry solder joints or replacing blown capacitors then its the knackers yard for the hd as it will be unecominical to repair
hope that helps
hadyn
forgot to mention checking the usb port on both pc and the hd enclosure for burn out or damage

Spirits High
31-08-2012, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the hints and tips so far.

I've got someone coming out later today to have a look at it and after chatting on the phone he thinks it may need a transplant.

I'll let you know ;)

DazzyD
31-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the hints and tips so far.

I've got someone coming out later today to have a look at it and after chatting on the phone he thinks it may need a transplant.

I'll let you know ;)

I've had this problem twice now with the black shiny enclosures. I've take. the drives out and put them in new aluminum enclosures and they work fine.

I spoke from past experience! ;)

Switching cases is relatively easy and it's usually a big relief that the drive itself hasn't died!