PDA

View Full Version : Another Wedding Fayre Question...

JAMdisco
06-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Yes, I've searched for it and found too many to read them all.

I've got a chance to do a wedding fayre in a country pub (quite classy as I've played there before).

It's advertised as £50 per table - this is my dilemma.
I know it's cheap but I don't have any flyers - only business cards and I can set up my laptop with a slideshow. Also laminate copies of my PAT & PLI certificates.

I need to speak to the organisers first but doubt they will want music and/or lights. I've read a few threads including the hints and tips one but am even more confused.
I know I'm selling my service and not the gear but don't want it to seem too 'sparse'.

Any ideas or do you think I should wait until I'm more prepared?

[edit] It's on 23rd September so not much time to get anything made up really.

Shakermaker Promotions
06-09-2012, 04:18 PM
£50.00 is cheap for a wedding fayre.
How well advertised is it? How many people are already signed up for it?
Are you going to be the only Disco supplier there?
At the end of the day, people will know what a Disco looks like. If you can take a slideshow with pictures of the set up then great.
Just take that and some speakers and a mixer that you can have on quietly. Hide them under the table or something and take a couple of uplighters too.
Make sure you have some business cards and then use yourself to sell.
I wouldn't bother taking laminates of PLI & PAT. Add them to your slideshow.
I'm doing a wedding fayre on the same day at one of my residencies and I will be doing it quite sparse myself.

Paul The Party Dj
06-09-2012, 10:21 PM
I don't take kit unless I'm doing music for the fashion show - you need to find out if the organisers want music - it may annoy other table holders.
Have you got a 32" (or bigger) TV you could plug into your laptop to get that slideshow display nice and big - that's what I do.
I also use a star cloth around the table.
You've still got plenty of time to design and have printed some basic flyers or leaflets.

Good luck

JAMdisco
07-09-2012, 08:14 AM
l Thanks for the replies guys.

I believe that they only want one disco supplier - I'm meeting them tomorrow to discuss (unless someone has beat me to it).
It looks to be well advertised and it's next to a busy garden center so may get some passing trade from there. I'll offer a 10% discount if they book on the day, or give them a card with a reference number to quote when booking to get the discount (has to be for a wedding though).
I have a 22" monitor or I could take my TV set from home - that's 47" and yes, I'll also take my star-cloth and up lighters to put around the table (must remember to take gaffer tape lol)

I think I'll try my luck with this one as £50 isn't going to break the bank, I'll design and print some glossy flyers and a powerpoint slide show as, like you said, I still have a couple of weeks to go.

Just as a matter of course, how do you take payments on the day if someone wants to book? Do you take cheque or electronic payment (provided of course they have wireless broadband at the venue).

dj foureyes
07-09-2012, 09:00 AM
l

Just as a matter of course, how do you take payments on the day if someone wants to book? Do you take cheque or electronic payment (provided of course they have wireless broadband at the venue).

I've only done two wedding fairs but what I did was bring my booking forms, amended to recieve the deposit over the next 3 days. Robert's your mother's brother!

BossmanKaraokeDisco
13-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Ok have searched and also been watching this thread as I have my first ever wedding fair coming up in October, its a free one so thought it would be a good rehearsal as I plan to do more next year.
Have been told that each exhibitor has a 3ft table and after reading the various threads on here, have got my flyers, business cards, laptop with powerpoint slideshow to go on to 19" monitor all ready.
Just a quick question, do those of you that do wedding fairs go suited and booted or casual?
Is there any other advise anyone can throw my way, I know it seems silly as I have been DJing for 30 years but this is my first wedding fair as I am pushing the Coventry-weddingDJ more and the new website for that will be up and running before Christmas..

Thanks in advance :beer1: :beer1:

Dave

MikeW
13-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Ok have searched and also been watching this thread as I have my first ever wedding fair coming up in October, its a free one so thought it would be a good rehearsal as I plan to do more next year.
Have been told that each exhibitor has a 3ft table and after reading the various threads on here, have got my flyers, business cards, laptop with powerpoint slideshow to go on to 19" monitor all ready.
Just a quick question, do those of you that do wedding fairs go suited and booted or casual?
Is there any other advise anyone can throw my way, I know it seems silly as I have been DJing for 30 years but this is my first wedding fair as I am pushing the Coventry-weddingDJ more and the new website for that will be up and running before Christmas..

Thanks in advance :beer1: :beer1:

Dave

Hi Dave. For wedding fayres I would wear my normal DJ wedding clothes which would be a shirt and tie and a pair of dress trousers. The only tips I would give is to go early to make sure your stand is where it is supposed to be and that you have enough space. Also just be friendly, hand out as many fliers/cards as you can and lastly talk to as many people/other exhibitors as you can. Enjoy :)

DazzyD
13-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Hi Dave. For wedding fayres I would wear my normal DJ wedding clothes which would be a shirt and tie and a pair of dress trousers. The only tips I would give is to go early to make sure your stand is where it is supposed to be and that you have enough space. Also just be friendly, hand out as many fliers/cards as you can and lastly talk to as many people/other exhibitors as you can. Enjoy :)

Just to add, if you're taking a monitor be sure to make sure in advance that you have a power supply/power point. I've done several fayres where not all the stands have power provided.

BossmanKaraokeDisco
13-09-2012, 05:13 PM

Thats what I was thinking, I normally wear a suit for weddings but in the hot weather normally tends to be shirt and tie with trousers :D

Just to add, if you're taking a monitor be sure to make sure in advance that you have a power supply/power point. I've done several fayres where not all the stands have power provided.

Yes I need to double check that with the organiser, Laptop will be okay and has a good battery so if no power just have to have slideshow showing on laptop :(
I am sure I am panicing about nothing and all will go well on the day :D

Dave