PDA

View Full Version : Web Site Design Package

magicfm
17-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Just trying to do up my web site and the package I am using is cr@p. I can't swap the pages around :mad: Anyone recommend a good easy to use package that I can use before I throw my :computer: out the window :angry:

Dreamweaver etc are well out of my budget :teeth: All I am looking for is something to create something like the current site I have.

thanks you all in advance :) :)

Sam
17-10-2006, 03:00 PM
http://www.nvu.com

alexperrins
17-10-2006, 03:04 PM
I used good old Frontpage for mine, which was free! Otherwise Coffeecup HTML is good. :)

CRAZY K
17-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Yes Frontpage is easy to use---

Not sure if its free though?

You get it with the Microsoft package--well I did anyway--

CRAZY K

Jiggles
17-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Front page express :teeth:

Rattz
17-10-2006, 06:06 PM
i have always used AceHTML, but you need to know how to code as its more of a editor than a wysiwyg. Plus they do a free version lol

magicfm
17-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks lads I'm checking them out (_8())

alexperrins
17-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Forgot to mention..Yes you will have to buy Frontpage unfortunately unless it comes with a Microsoft/Office package, but you should be able to get hold of it somewhere. The main reason I like it is beacuse my domain host supports what is known as "Frontpage Extensions." I.e. you design your page using WYSIWYG or HTML (personally use a bit of both) and then all you have to do is click File..Publish... and it uploads it all for you, even going as far as replacing pages that need updating..which is very handy!

GrahamH
17-10-2006, 08:39 PM
I use coffeecup Visual Site Designer. Really good and easy to use.

CRAZY K
17-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Alex, not sure why you need extensions?

My Internet host charges more for that facility and for me I cant see the point, with all due respect Magic has a basic site.

Uploading is kids stuff on the basic Frontpage package without extensions.

If I can do it---anyone can!

My website host spouted some garbage about needing it and then said---oh I dont think we can support Frontpage---so I said really? You already have 2 sites of mine written in Frontpage being supported already---so theres a lot of rubbish talked in this area :teeth:

Changing and updating pages--well I do have to drag and drop an amended page after deleting the existing---but its not difficult or time consuming.

The only thing I could see thats was useful with extensions was I think you get an auto reply e mail service included.

Yes you can buy Frontpage on e bay ---several different versions available.

CRAZY K

DMX Will
17-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Dreamweaver, need I say more

LeapCreative
18-10-2006, 12:45 AM
Just to answer a couple of points which might be helpful:

1. Front page extensions are only necessary if you use any of the front page features, such as forms, counters, guestbook etc. To be honest, they're not great, and aren't necessary anyway. Just use PHP for any features like this.

2. Dreamweaver is the best package for web editing, and you wont find better. It's not the cheapest on the market, but you get what you pay for.

3. Coffeecup is a nice package, cheap and cheerful and gets the job done, but dont expect miracles from it.

4. It may be easier for you to purchase a template, and simply edit it through the cheapest package you can find. www.templatemonster.com has a few that might be suibtable.

5. If you need any help with the coding side, or if you decide to use a template monster design, give me a shout and ill see if i can help.

Cheers :)

BeerFunk
18-10-2006, 01:02 AM
I use Notepad :rolleyes:

LeapCreative
18-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Nothing wrong with Notepad ;) Gets the job done, even if you have to keep saving, opening in firefox then editing again ;)

CRAZY K
18-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Surely you dont need expensive programs like Dreamweaver---

Frontpage basic built site hosted for about £30 a year ( CLARANET) would be fine--thats what I do and it works well.

CRAZY K

magicfm
18-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Tried out a few trials last nite from download.com, I'm too impatient to do all the html stuff with coffee cup and some of the others had a limited use before you bought them so I couldn't find full potential.

I have now got hold of frontpage and will give that a bash later. :teeth:

Once again thanks for the help folks :)

Creature
18-10-2006, 11:05 AM
i also use front page as my htnl editor - in fact as a large percentage of each page is cut n paste real easy and quick to do. and some excellent html sites out there that speak in very basic english :) (great if your like me )

CRAZY K
18-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Tried out a few trials last nite from download.com, I'm too impatient to do all the html stuff with coffee cup and some of the others had a limited use before you bought them so I couldn't find full potential.

I have now got hold of frontpage and will give that a bash later. :teeth:

Once again thanks for the help folks :)

Magic--if you need any help with Frontpage let me know--

Im always altering my websites using it

cheers

CRAZY K

Sam
18-10-2006, 01:17 PM
I still vote NVU for a free program.. or dreamweaver if you want to spend a bit :)

Danno13
18-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Well if you don't want loads of rubbish adding to your code, then its a good idea to avoid frontpage.. i use dreamweaver, but only really so i can preview code as i go along..

magicfm
18-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Magic--if you need any help with Frontpage let me know--

Im always altering my websites using it

cheers

CRAZY K

Thanks Crazy, I've got the hang of it, just have to add more pages and tweak it a bit. Hopefully get it finished for later cause I am doing an advertising blitz this weekend. :)