PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal?

JSideFx
08-10-2012, 08:20 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221135366727?item=221135366727?_trksid=p5197.m462

Is this a good deal? has anyone dealt with Dabs_outlet?
Im looking for a new one after my trusty desktop packed in. Im not sure whether to use it for Djing with virtual dj or keep my gig laptop as it is and use this for general home use but with the spec I have the choice

DJ Jules
08-10-2012, 08:30 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221135366727?item=221135366727?_trksid=p5197.m462

Is this a good deal? has anyone dealt with Dabs_outlet?
Im looking for a new one after my trusty desktop packed in. Im not sure whether to use it for Djing with virtual dj or keep my gig laptop as it is and use this for general home use but with the spec I have the choice

I've got two opinions about this, one is personal and the other is based on fact.

My personal opinion based on over a decade of repairing various computers for friends and family is that if it has "Packard Bell" on the case, then it's cheap junk. In fact, it's right up there with "Fujitsu Siemens" :D

The slightly more factual opinion is that if it has an AMD processor, then it's no good for use as a DJ'ing machine due to the historic issues with AMD chipsets and external/USB ASIO sound cards and MIDI controllers.

Julian

JSideFx
08-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Oh right thanks, My desktop was packard bell and that never let me down and even now a new graphics card and It would be fine but a laptop suits my needs now.

Thanks again

SC Events
08-10-2012, 09:44 AM
It also states it's a gaming laptop, but any decent gaming laptop should have an nVidia graphics card installed IMO.

For just a bit more money, I would shop around for a HP or go to Aldi and get yourself a Medion one...never had any problems with mine - In fact I have 2 Medion desktops and a laptop!

DazzyD
08-10-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm going to try and answer the OP as objectively as I can but my own personal experiences partly contradict what DJ Jules has said.

First up, DABS is a company that's been around for years. They have an excellent reputation as an online PC retailer and which just goes to explain their longevity in a market where a lot of businesses have gone under.

Ok, next up, the Packard Bell laptop. Packard Bell is actually now owned by Acer so it depends on what you think of Acer as a laptop manufacturer. My own personal experience of Acer is that they are decent machines for DJing but they don't seem to live very long. I've had 2 Acers now and I wouldn't have another as they just didn't have the build quality that I need as a working DJ. Of course, Packard Bell is nothing to do with Hewlett-Packard (HP) so we shouldn't get the two brands mixed up. However, my sister used to have a Packard Bell laptop and it didn't seem the most reliable of machines (but that was several years ago and things may, or may not, have improved since then).

Finally, the following comment

The slightly more factual opinion is that if it has an AMD processor, then it's no good for use as a DJ'ing machine due to the historic issues with AMD chipsets and external/USB ASIO sound cards and MIDI controllers.

Julian

I'll just point out that my current playout laptop is powered by an AMD processor and I've had no issues with it whilst it's been is use for the past 2 years. I'm really quite happy with it - the sound quality is good through the external USB soundcard and, whilst I'm not experiences in the upper end of the market controllers, the ones I've used have done a good job.

Overall, "Is this a good deal?". Comparing the price and the spec then I'd have to say yes but, for DJing, I'd be making sure it's paired with a quality sound card as I don't think the on-board audio will give the best sound output.

JSideFx
08-10-2012, 02:17 PM
My current laptop is a acer 5735z and I must say its been great, never let me down while djing but since my desktop bit the dust last week its now being used for everything computer related (including typing this message) lol. Thats why i'm after something else.

My next question is, Should I stick with this acer and use it Dj only or retire it to home use and use the new machine for Djing?

DiscoPromotions
08-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Packard Bell is overpriced budget components... I do recommend ACER as type of DJing machine as I used one for 3 years, had no problems with the AMD 64 CPU (Dual Core) with virtual DJ or Mixmeister..

I would recommend MAC anytime for DJing as Mac OS platform is more stable than Windows..

I brought Acer Aspire V3-771G (Gaming Laptop) before shipping out to Finland.

Specs:

Intel i7 2.3GHz
16GB DD3 RAM,
128GB SSD + 500GB Sata Hard-drives (both internal),
2GB graphics

The build of Aspire is very good quality, not close to MacBook pro, but still good quality.

I require this level of performance due to nature of my contract out here; mainly for VMware workstation as part of my design and planning work of my contract role.

I would not use this machine for DJ'ing for following reasons:

My MacBook is still got some life in it.
Too much power for running Virtual DJ
Nearly £1k price tag it is not justifiable to use it for DJ'ing

It is horses for courses and as IT professional, I would use a system that delivers both the performance and reliability for job at hand.

To answer your question if it is a good deal.. NOT Really, as it is overpriced budget components.

ukpartydj
08-10-2012, 04:23 PM
I would suggest trying to find a processor with a higher frequency.
Have recently changed from a 2.0ghz i7 to a 2.6ghz core duo as it runs smoother on traktor 2.
And yes I spent hours configuring the i7 to make it run well - the core duo runs almost perfect without tweaking.

funny stuff, anyone else noticed this?

JSideFx
09-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks I'll give that a miss, back to the drawing board