PDA

View Full Version : Which new laptop?

JSideFx
11-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Sorry to ask this as im sure its been asked many times before but threads Ive read on here and other sites are a few years old, Anyway Ive been using a laptop to dj with for over 3 years now with vdj7 and a Hercules RMX and all is going great but last week my trusty old desktop pc bit the dust and I feel a laptop for home suits my needs better. My gig laptop is a 3 year old acer aspire 5735z 2.0 duel core 4gig ram 160gig hdd, Ive not had really any bother with it since doing a couple tweaks but now Im using it as my only computer which I dont like doing.
So Im looking for a new laptop for djing and retire my current one for home use, I have £400 to spend and I would like at least 500g hard drive with hdmi port and decent graphics but other than that i'm not sure. Ive seen i3 i5 duel core quad core the lot on offer and I'm stumped tbh

Can anybody help?
Cheers

DiscoPromotions
12-10-2012, 12:18 PM
You might want to take a look at this one, http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/MSI_CX640MX_1117507.html#Images

I have purcahsed my nearly £1k laptop from SaveOnLaptop and had no issues..

Recommend staying away from HP packard bell... Acer I do recommend as being an ACER user..

Twinspin
12-10-2012, 06:49 PM
For a laptop as first choice i would recommend a Sony Vaio. I have 2x of these Machines and they work very well. Customer service from Sony was very good as well.

2nd choice.... Would be Samsung - I found a good spec one for £450.00 with dedicated graphics good processor, ram hdd etc. I think it was from comet.

after that.

Asus
Toshiba - Had one of these and thought they were good.
HP
Compaq
Dell

Any others. I wouldnt touch especially Acer in my honest opinion. If you get one that works. Ok. But if you ever have to send it for repair. They are very poor. Ive been down that road with them before.

JSideFx
29-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Didn't want to make a new thread to ask this but i've still not got a new laptop but with windows 8 out now will my Hercules rmx work with it? Cant find any info or drivers

katman
29-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Didn't want to make a new thread to ask this but i've still not got a new laptop but with windows 8 out now will my Hercules rmx work with it? Cant find any info or drivers

Avoid Windows 8 at all costs. All it wants to do is share your life with the cloud. Its an even bigger mistake than Vista was in my opinion.

I installed it the other night and made my laptop quad boot, XP Pro, Vista Home Premium, Win 7 Pro and Win 8 Pro and it was quite happy with that before I went to bed and also when I booted it up the following morning. I could boot into whichever OS I wanted.

Got to work, fired it up and it gave me no choice, straight into Win 8 and no option to boot into anything else. Also it swapped the drive letters around. Had to use the Win 7 disk to get into the recovery console and use Diskpart to get rid of the Win 8 partition.

JSideFx
30-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Thanks, hopefully find a good win7 laptop deal somewhere

welby
03-12-2012, 06:26 PM
I have purchased my nearly £1k laptop from SaveOnLaptop and had no issues..

Recommend staying away from HP packard bell... Acer I do recommend as being an ACER user..

Just out of curiosity which one did you purchase?

I have had no issues with my Acer 5920G Laptop.

The Lenovo looks tempting @ £699.97

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_G780_1296594.html?utm_medium=alternatives&utm_source=www.saveonlaptops.co.uk&utm_campaign=lenovo_alternatives