PDA

View Full Version : Wireless causing blue screen crash

dalzeah
16-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Any ideas on this one? My laptop is hp g780 running windows 7. For some reason it's started crashing whenever I try to connect wirelessly. It's fine with an ethernet cable but immediatley gives me a blue screen if I try to enable the wireless. I've tried it on different routers at home and work (crashes on both), checked the drivers are up to date and done a system rollback. Any suggestions gratefully received.

lazersounds
16-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Try reinstalling the wireless driver rather than just checking its up to date, a file could be currupt thats causing the problem :)

Jem
16-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I had a problem once with the home wireless crashing my wife's laptop. Turns out it didn't like 802.11n. We configured to router to only work on b & g and it worked perfectly. Seemingly some manufacturers fault with the laptop hardware that was causing it to crash, the mfg knew about it but wouldn't make it public.

Bit of a long shot but might be worth just popping in to your router's settings and restricting it to 802.11b or g compatibility mode.

dalzeah
17-10-2012, 05:25 AM
Thanks Guy's for those thought's. I'll give them a go when I get in from work later.

DiscoPromotions
17-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Also do check the drivers, as your symptoms sounds like hardware conflict...

Check HP website for latest drivers, if the latest drivers are installed and still getting the same issue.. Recommend see if there is a older drivers as the firmware for WIFI card may not be compatiable with new drivers.

dalzeah
17-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Gave those a go. Thanks for your help, but no luck. Still the lovely blue screen. Ok on ethernet though. As soon as I type the access key in on wireless - Bang! it goes. The drivers themselves are 2006 ones and seem to be the latest available and I can't find any earlier. It's an
Qualcomm Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter. It does the blue screen thing on other routers as well so I don't think it's a router setting thats the prob.

the dump info:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: B99081A8
BCP3: ACFC0ACC
BCP4: ACFC06B0
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\101712-43914-01.dmp
C:\Users\Mix\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-58640-0.sysdata.xml

Really must get more up on this type of thing!

DiscoPromotions
19-10-2012, 05:18 AM
Is all your Windows updates being applied?

Creature
19-10-2012, 10:00 PM
this will almost certainly be a couurpt install of the drives some where. best way to cure is to do a manual uninstall - then delete any files left over.

turn off comp - then restart it ( dont select the restsrt option)

with a decent rege restorer program - run and remove all traces of the wireless install including the usb addons

switch off comp

reboot

and the follow the installtion instructions carefully

dalzeah
20-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks for that. Just got in from a kids disco - It's my main machine so hate it when it does something I'm not used to! Performs pefectly at gigs though. Funny how you come to rely on your laptop and when an element of doubt creeps in your kind of on your toes all night. I'll have another try at it as soon as I can. Got a copy of the first episode of the new Walking Dead to look forward to tonight with a drink!

dalzeah
23-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Also do check the drivers, as your symptoms sounds like hardware conflict...

Check HP website for latest drivers, if the latest drivers are installed and still getting the same issue.. Recommend see if there is a older drivers as the firmware for WIFI card may not be compatiable with new drivers.

Cracked it. Thanks. Turns out it was the latest updates to the Atheros wireless driver that caused it. Trouble is Win 7 keeps trying to update to the latest so I've disabled the auto update facility. I found an older driver as suggested and it seems fine. Top marks that man!