PDA

View Full Version : Changing the habit of a lifetime

TONYTIGER
06-11-2012, 03:05 PM
You might think i am bonkers but for the last 45 years i have always been passionate with the lighting aspects of this industry you name it i have had it,
So like most operators have my lighting on the stage or were i have my main set up sometimes on a overhead or on stands and such like just a force of habit.
It suddenly dawned on me that i stand up there and admire my handiwork god it looks marvelous a few weeks ago i was stood at the bar talking to a client and it suddenly crossed my mind looks good from the DJs point of view but not so clever from the the floor or anywhere other than the stage just a lot of light and very messy and not very defined something had to change.
So from last week no effect lighting in the play out area other than subtle light to illuminate the booth & dj .What i have done i have taken my two winch pods and have added the optional legs to make them in to some nice compact winch stands have also converted some old Ultimax box bars (no longer made) they are box section with a removal face plate bit like trunking 60 mm X 40 mm so you can hide all wiring inside each bar is 1.5 m long and contain the following 8 x iec out 8 X DMX xlr out 1 Dmx xlr in 2 Bulgin 8 pin in 1 x 13 amp in and 1 Wireless DMX receiver this now allows me to put my lighting any were in the venue that i think suitable to create the best effects no wires only than 1 Mains in.
I control all my lighting from laptop which has the wireless DMX sender, the bar will take 7 effects 3 on top and 4 below currently chose from ADJ Inno Scans ADJ Pro Vizi moving heads Batmink Multi pars and a odd laser.Have had nothing but positive feed back the clients seem to like not having any lighting in there face,i can still light the dance floor and has taken 20 minutes off set up time,im still bonkers but very happy.

www.tonyjamesdisco.co.uk

DJ Jules
06-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Sounds like a plan! You know what's coming next.... Have you got any before and after photos? :D

Julian

TONYTIGER
06-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Sounds like a plan! You know what's coming next.... Have you got any before and after photos? :D

Julian

Plenty of before at www.tonyjamesdisco.co.uk new pictures coming soon.

yourdj
06-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Nice. Always a eureka moment when you can look at things from the clients perspective. :)

Never liked overheads and now its all wireless DMX I can ditch the lights on the other side of the room too ;)

Excalibur
06-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Tony, I know whereof you speak. It's always educational to walk across the room, and look at the lights from a punter's viewpoint. It never looks the same as we see, and it's sometimes surprising that the beautifully coordinated display we're looking at is a jumble of flashes from the other side. I remember one venue I worked at many many years ago, where the DJ area had a really low roof, and no lighting in it.With the lights we had then, it was impossible to tell there was a DJ in there!!

The nearest I get to what you're describing is to put the Powerbar at the side. :D Good luck with your plans.