PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Nexus

TONYTIGER
15-11-2012, 05:41 PM
This looks cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6UDAaHNQu8

DazzyD
15-11-2012, 10:05 PM
At first sight it looks just like the DJs are using a sampler and various repetitive loops, pretty much the kind of thing I was doing 20 years ago with a computer connected to various combinations of Yamaha, Casio and Roland MIDI keyboards combined with a Korg synthesizer (ah, my "creative" days!!). Which, in it's basic form, is exactly what they're doing. So nothing new there then!

However, I've noticed that the sampler is actually a touch-screen unit with various gesture controls and it's built in to the Pioneer mixer. Hmm. Curiouser and curiouser! Whilst what I did was music production for recording purposes and "laying down tracks", these guys are doing it "on the fly". Pretty impressive. Oh, it's got a £2K price tag for the DJM-2000 Nexus mixer alone which, for a new setup, you'd then need to factor in costs of media players such as CDJ-2000 at around £1,100 each making a 2 player system well over £4K!! :eek:

I've looked at the specs and, to be fair, there's not a lot you can do with it that you can't already so with software such as Tracktor. Yes, it's an impressive mixer there's no doubt about that. However, I would struggle to justify that kind of outlay as a mobile DJ. I can't really see it being aimed at our market. That's not to say I'd turn down the chance to gain some hands on experience with the unit, though!! ;)