PDA

View Full Version : ADJ Inno Roll - opinions please

Jonny Boy
27-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Has anyone got or seen the above light in action?

Thinking of using 1 alone as centre-piece for similiar effect to you`1 wizard` chaps...how does the spread of the gobos compare? how responsive is it to a simple uc3 controller? especially thinking for fast / slow changes on in-built sound to light shows.

Comments please?

cheers

TONYTIGER
27-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Has anyone got or seen the above light in action?

Thinking of using 1 alone as centre-piece for similiar effect to you`1 wizard` chaps...how does the spread of the gobos compare? how responsive is it to a simple uc3 controller? especially thinking for fast / slow changes on in-built sound to light shows.

Comments please?

cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qQB40MAKN0&feature=relmfu
Great light had a couple in when they first came out very bright, all though i don't like the uc3 not enough fine control for me,use mine via dmx dongle ,also they are very light in weight so easy rigging and the built in feet are very handy would recommend have a look on the link.

WWDJ
27-11-2012, 10:24 PM
I've got 2 Inno Rolls and 2 poor mans Wizards ie. the EFX500

See them in action here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIGAVEEPjhY

Observations.
- Inno brighter than EFX500
- Inno lighter than EFX500
- Inno less bulky than EFX500
- Inno easier to mount than EFX500
- Both have decent master slave and built in patterns
- Both don't have a 'slow' show, you'll need to program this with DMX
- Inno, you cannot get the barrels to rotate really slow, not quite as slow as I would like for a First Dance, but they are ok. EFX500 rotates really slow on DMX

paulg
28-11-2012, 08:45 PM
It doesn't match the coverage or control of a wizard but it does look as though the lesser number of gobo's may be brighter and sharper.

If you go to the gallery page of my website www.ardsleyentertainments.co.uk and click on video 3 you can see a wizard extreme in action. When the camera pans left, you can see one cluster of wizard gobo's. Bear in mind that the waizard produces 5 or six of these clusters at the same time so the effect is a real room filler.

It looks to me that as with many LED fixtures, the very intense but compact light source produced by an LED means gobos's are intentionally made equite small to make them bright enough.

It's already been said though, is it a good enough trade off against the stupidly heavy wizard, the complexity of its design, the fragile parts, the need to use a controller and the cost of breaking / changing those expensive discharge bulbs. Personally, looking at the youtube video on the Inno Roll, I'd say that the Wizard would still be my choice simply because you can put just one on the end of a stick and get a very impressive lightshow.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't match the coverage or control of a wizard but it does look as though the lesser number of gobo's may be brighter and sharper.

If you go to the gallery page of my website www.ardsleyentertainments.co.uk and click on video 3 you can see a wizard extreme in action. When the camera pans left, you can see one cluster of wizard gobo's. Bear in mind that the waizard produces 5 or six of these clusters at the same time so the effect is a real room filler.

It looks to me that as with many LED fixtures, the very intense but compact light source produced by an LED means gobos's are intentionally made equite small to make them bright enough.

It's already been said though, is it a good enough trade off against the stupidly heavy wizard, the complexity of its design, the fragile parts, the need to use a controller and the cost of breaking / changing those expensive discharge bulbs. Personally, looking at the youtube video on the Inno Roll, I'd say that the Wizard would still be my choice simply because you can put just one on the end of a stick and get a very impressive lightshow.

TONYTIGER
14-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Just had delivery of a couple of Chauvet Intimidator 300 barrel scanners,now these would make a good center piece very impressive 60 watt led very bright rotating gobos and 3 way prism effect,remote focus DMX 8 or 11 channel sound to light and only 6.5 kg and power link,this effect has everything i could wish for.Not cheap but then again i get a fair bit off for trade.:)

www.tonyjamesdisco.co.uk

atlanticdisco
26-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Hi

have bought 4 of these and do like them although i find the mic sensitivity to be poor. setting '17' no input then setting '18' input.

To get the best from them its looking like a new controller for me but which one to get ?

Iain

TONYTIGER
27-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Hi

have bought 4 of these and do like them although i find the mic sensitivity to be poor. setting '17' no input then setting '18' input.

To get the best from them its looking like a new controller for me but which one to get ?

Iain

Just a standard 192 DMX controller or better still a USB DMX dongle so you can run of laptop program then you can control the scan speed and were they are going to scan in relevance to the room/venue.

atlanticdisco
22-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Hi Tony

completely forgot to look back at this post!

Thanks for your suggestion. what is the best USB DMX dongle to go for. Im not that well versed on the DMX side of things so if going for this would like a basic easy to use program.

cheers

Iain

super-hero
13-04-2013, 10:07 PM
I will be using a pair of these tomorrow, so I will try and get a video of them in action.

Have a look at the adj mydmx2.0 for usb dongle interface. I will be using that for the first time tomorrow, so I can let you know how that performs too.

atlanticdisco
17-04-2013, 10:41 PM
I will be using a pair of these tomorrow, so I will try and get a video of them in action.

Have a look at the adj mydmx2.0 for usb dongle interface. I will be using that for the first time tomorrow, so I can let you know how that performs too.

how did you get on with the lights? i downloaded the ADJ DMX software but have to admit that im pretty much in the dark when it comes to programming the DMX side of things.

thanks

Iain

DJIanScott
19-04-2013, 01:41 PM
I've got a pair of these and have now used em about half a dozen times.

PROs - Great sharp gobos, rotating gobo feature, split colours look good, very bright, very easy to handle

CONs - No scroll slow enough for First Dance, start/end of night, even when using DMX control. The actual stepper motor is the problem, not the software it seems. As mentioned above, sound sensitivity control on the unit is farcical.

They're good lights, but they could be so much better with a few tweaks.

WWDJ
20-04-2013, 01:44 AM
Update: I still have my Inno Rolls, but the first dance thing didn't cut it for me so I invested in the Chauvet 300 Barrels.

By comparison they are much better for coverage and slower for first dance.

Recommended.

atlanticdisco
26-04-2013, 05:11 PM
WWDJ

i think i am going to do the same as yourself. I am finding that i am using the twister 4 HP's for the first dance which do a great job but like the idea of the 300's.

debating if i should sell the inno rolls and go for 4 300's.

decisions decisions!!!!

thanks

Iain

super-hero
27-04-2013, 12:40 AM
Have to agree with all the above posts.

I set a scene for a first dance, but couldn't get them moving slow enough, so just used the rotating gobo's to add some movement. I used some inno scans too, and added some movement wiith those.

They are also a bit plastic'y, which does make them light, but not as robust as I would have hoped.