PDA

View Full Version : Wirelessly sending audio

DynamoTom
02-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Hello there,

I've been booked for a Christmas party this month and the disco is going to be down stairs by the bar, but they would like some background music upstairs whilst they are having their meal. The room upstairs is too far away to run XLR cables to the speakers so, what is the best way to send a audio signal wirelessly?

It will also need to be a relativly cheap way because it's only being used for 3-4 gigs over Christmas.

The kit I will be using for this -

2x Mackie SRM 450 V1's
1x Numark DMC2 software controller
1x Numark CM200 5 channel mixer
1x Apple MacBook Pro
1x Numark DJ IO

Thanks guys! :)

deltic
02-12-2012, 10:22 AM
why not just use one of your mackie's with an ipod for the background stuff.

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-12-2012, 11:30 AM
why not just use one of your mackie's with an ipod for the background stuff.

Either that or hire an LD Wats2 system.

You could probably buy one if you can find one for around £150.

Corabar Entertainment
03-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Either that or hire an LD Wats2 system.

You could probably buy one if you can find one for around £150.
I thought that, but it really does depend where one room is in relation to the other. It's on a different floor, but is it directly above the other room, or the other end of the building? I've had great experiences with the WATS, but there is a limit to how many walls it can go through!

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-12-2012, 11:51 AM
I thought that, but it really does depend where one room is in relation to the other. It's on a different floor, but is it directly above the other room, or the other end of the building? I've had great experiences with the WATS, but there is a limit to how many walls it can go through!

True.

The other option is to buy something like this (http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/sound-c16/portable-pa-system-c21/qtx-qtx-qr12pa-aerobic-battery-powered-portable-pa-p555)

£200, but very useful to have.

Corabar Entertainment
03-12-2012, 11:57 AM
:agree: That would probably be a better option in this case - especially since Tom doesn't appear to have a spare speaker to do the background & it won't be ideal to leave himself with 1 speaker for the disco!!!!!!!

hammy
03-12-2012, 12:21 PM
True.

The other option is to buy something like this (http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/sound-c16/portable-pa-system-c21/qtx-qtx-qr12pa-aerobic-battery-powered-portable-pa-p555)

£200, but very useful to have.

200% agree, I have one and it comes in handy for so many uses.:thumbsup:

yourdj
03-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Battery speaker is the way to go. You can use it for the drinks reception and dinner assuming they are in two different places.
I use one for most of my weddings now. Also useful when using a sound limiter as at least you have some sound when it trips!

Enough to tell people what has happened - assuming you use a laptop/controller.

Alternatively I am selling a set of pretty much unused LD watts sender and receivers.

Corabar Entertainment
03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Alternatively I am selling a set of pretty much unused LD watts sender and receivers.Haven't noticed a 'For Sale' thread, Toby. Have you put it up? Link?

yourdj
04-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Haven't noticed a 'For Sale' thread, Toby. Have you put it up? Link?

Sorry i have not made one :) Will do.

I think an XLR to mini Jack and one of your mackies may suffice tbh.
You can run one speaker as you collect the other one from upstairs following the meal.

Well worth getting a better speaker though and its much more professional. You can also keep the background upstairs and run the disco down.

Excalibur
04-12-2012, 06:19 AM
and run the disco down.

Many folks have run my Disco down over the years, Toby. :(