PDA

View Full Version : PDF/Corel Draw problems.

Excalibur
03-12-2012, 05:09 PM
I use Corel draw to create my invoices, and have done so for many years. It allows me to put a picture of a sword one layer back, and print over it. The information boxes which change ( date, venue, customer etc ) can be easily edited in Word, with no problem.
Often, I've converted documents to PDF to email them, and have always managed it without any fuss. On the occasions when I've wanted to email PDF copies of these invoices, I've clicked the option publish to PDF, but at this point the wheels fall off. Corel announces it's closing and gets fairly cheesed, as do I.

Copying and pasting into Word isn't ideal, but usually allows me to get a copy out.

I remember Darren telling me about a programme Cute PDF, which allowed you to create them as if it were a printer. Would this help me, or are there any better ideas out there? Thanks folks.

Shaun
03-12-2012, 05:27 PM
I do all my invoices in Corel too, using the publish to PDF option. I don't have any solution to your problem with it closing down. A re-install of Corel will most likely sort the issue.

In the meantime you could save the file as a jpeg, and use a jpeg to pdf convertor. The one below is freeware

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/jpegtopdf.html

Excalibur
03-12-2012, 06:28 PM
I do all my invoices in Corel too, using the publish to PDF option.

Blimey, I thought I was strange doing that. Seems I'm in good company.

I don't have any solution to your problem with it closing down. A re-install of Corel will most likely sort the issue.

A thought which had occurred to me.

In the meantime you could save the file as a jpeg, and use a jpeg to pdf convertor. The one below is freeware

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/jpegtopdf.html

Ta.

DazzyD
03-12-2012, 09:58 PM
CutePDF is simply a printer driver that you install but, instead of printing to a physical printer, it actually "prints" to (or, more accurately, creates) a .pdf format file that you can then attach to your outgoing email. Whatever image would have been printed by your printer would then be a .pdf file. So, yes Peter, cutePDF will do the job you want it to. HOWEVER!! The resulting .pdf file will not be editable unless you have software capable of editing PDF files (Adobe Acrobat, MS Word 2013, Serif PagePlus X6, the full version of NitroPDF, and others out there). There may even be some free editors that can do this (search Google!). If you haven't got an editor, make sure that the page is exactly as you want it before sending it to cutePDF otherwise you'll end up with lots of versions of the same document taking up space on your harddrive!! (been there, done that!!)

I must point out that, in the interests of fairness, there are other utilities available that do the same job as cutePDF!!! ;)

Excalibur
03-12-2012, 10:17 PM
I must point out that, in the interests of fairness, there are other utilities available that do the same job as cutePDF!!! ;)

And I am aware of the drawbacks with being unable to edit saved PDF files.Measure twice, cut once. ;) ( Yeah right. Sent one off this morning with the wrong customer details on. Customer asked if it was a rough copy? ) :o:o:o
The £130 cost of a full Acrobat programme makes it unlikely that I shall go in that direction. Thanks all for your thoughts.

DazzyD
03-12-2012, 10:32 PM
And I am aware of the drawbacks with being unable to edit saved PDF files.Measure twice, cut once. ;) ( Yeah right. Sent one off this morning with the wrong customer details on. Customer asked if it was a rough copy? ) :o:o:o
The £130 cost of a full Acrobat programme makes it unlikely that I shall go in that direction. Thanks all for your thoughts.

As for the editing of .pdf files, yes, professional software can be quite expensive. However, there are a number of free online .pdf editor options. For a start, and one we've used a few times in the past, check out:

http://www.pdfescape.com

Excalibur
03-12-2012, 10:37 PM
there are a number of free online .pdf editor options. Aha!!!! Now we've entered my preferred price bracket. :approve:

DazzyD
03-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Aha!!!! Now we've entered my preferred price bracket. :approve:

I thought you'd approve!! ;)

Incidentally, I referred to Serif PagePlus X6 earlier which will set you back £81.69 at the current Serif web price. However, if anyone is looking for a bargain DTP solution that includes a fully functioned PDF editor, but doesn't need the very latest bells and whistles, then Serif have dropped the price of PagePlus X5 to just £19.99:

http://www.serif.com/pageplus/ppx5.aspx

That's a heck of a lot of DTP software for under £20!!

ianforest
04-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Confused as to why you use two programs to do one job?

Have I missed the point but I also can have a ghosted background image and edit the invoice a required...in WORD...no extra software required.

Excalibur
07-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Confused as to why you use two programs to do one job?

Have I missed the point but I also can have a ghosted background image and edit the invoice a required...in WORD...no extra software required.

Ian, sorry for the slow reply. Simple answer is because it was easier to create the effect I wanted in Corel, and it was a long long time ago. At that point, even if it had been possible to achhieve something like this in Word, I hadn't the skill. What I was able to do, however, was to edit the necessary bits of the invoices with Word, with no problems whatsoever, when using paper documents. It's only now that I'm trying to email them that problems are occurring. I'll have to look at Word again, and see if I can do what I want in there. Thanks.

ianforest
07-12-2012, 02:06 PM
You can very easily put a semi-opaque graphic in the background in Word now...

Page Layout -> Watermark (in most currentish versions of Word)

Excalibur
07-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Page Layout -> Watermark (in most currentish versions of Word)

Aha! That may be the simplest solution to my problems. I shall try when I have time, and report back. Thanks.

Excalibur
27-01-2013, 01:49 PM

Indeed, I can. And I'm in the process of trying to create what I need. Many thanks.