PDA

View Full Version : Typical.............

Daryll
09-12-2012, 12:48 PM
As a rule I hardly ever have gigs booked on a Friday , but a few months ago I was approached to do a 2 hour promo gig at a large school ( unpaid , but work could develop from this) , since then I have had two inquires for the same night ( paid) , it goes with out saying that I will honor the first promo gig , but it funny how things pan out..

Daryll

super-hero
09-12-2012, 12:55 PM
It's always the way. I've covered gigs for other djs that pay less money, then had to turn down much better paying gigs of my own.

DazzyD
09-12-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm doing a 21st for my ex's niece on Friday and that date has now become my most enquired date this year. I'm even turning work away for that date as last night.

Still, I'd rather be guaranteed be out working a few months in advance for a lesser fee than waiting around in the hope that something better comes in.

TONYTIGER
10-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Well done all of you very professional,how often do you here Djs not turning up because they have been offered better money.:claphands:

djdave01
10-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Well done all of you very professional,how often do you here Djs not turning up because they have been offered better money.:claphands:

was about to say the same thing, ive heard of it happening several times locally

dj foureyes
10-12-2012, 10:15 AM
I am doing a very old friend's 50th next month (the only date in January at the moment) for free, in Wales, which will cost me in the region of £250 in expenses and I have just had 2 enquiries for that same date:(. I won't get anymore bookings from this gig but I cant let him down.

STEVE HANLEY
10-12-2012, 12:07 PM
[which will cost me in the region of £250]

OUCH!!! That's expensive. How's it costing you that much?? Is that because of lost work or something??

dj foureyes
10-12-2012, 07:29 PM
OUCH!!! That's expensive. How's it costing you that much?? Is that because of lost work or something??

No Steve, it's a round trip of around 550 miles,which will cost around £130 in diesel. With bed and breakfast and a couple of meals for myself and the Mrs there won't be much change from 250 quid. :(

STEVE HANLEY
10-12-2012, 10:52 PM
No Steve, it's a round trip of around 550 miles,which will cost around £130 in diesel. With bed and breakfast and a couple of meals for myself and the Mrs there won't be much change from 250 quid. :(

:thumbsup:

Mates rates!! Don't you just love em:D:D

DeckstarDeluxe
11-12-2012, 03:44 PM
I'd never take on unpaid work on the "promise" of paid gigs....

dj foureyes
11-12-2012, 04:32 PM
I'd never take on unpaid work on the "promise" of paid gigs....

Me neither. I'm doing an unpaid job as a present. :)

CRAZY K
11-12-2012, 05:25 PM
As a rule I hardly ever have gigs booked on a Friday , but a few months ago I was approached to do a 2 hour promo gig at a large school ( unpaid , but work could develop from this) , since then I have had two inquires for the same night ( paid) , it goes with out saying that I will honor the first promo gig , but it funny how things pan out..

Daryll

If I had a pound for every time----:rolleyes:

You have to honour this booking but personally speaking to be cynical--its Murphys law---you are bound to get offered something else.

I do one charity gig every year for no charge--thats it.

Otherwise i want paying---as I type this a call has come in from some :muppet: Wedding Agency---would we like to provide a Rodeo Bull FOC at their party--and I quote---work could develop from this

Yeah right:mad:

Corabar Steve
11-12-2012, 05:44 PM
--its Murphys law---
Whatever can go wrong will go wrong???

Daryll
11-12-2012, 05:47 PM
I did state "unpaid , but work could develop from this" . I fail to see the word "promise".

Daryll

katman
11-12-2012, 06:52 PM
--its Murphys law---

The 5p fuse incorporated to protect £1000 worth of equipment will protect itself by allowing the equipment to blow first !!!!

Daryll
11-12-2012, 06:54 PM
The 5p fuse incorporated to protect £1000 worth of equipment will protect itself by allowing the equipment to blow first !!!!

:like: love it...........;)

Daryll

CRAZY K
11-12-2012, 08:16 PM

Thats the one I was thinking about Steve !!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

Daryll
14-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Well that was a success.
It was a school X-mas fair , so it was in a huge sports hall . I`ll let you work out the acoustics :p.
I had to set up in front of a bungee run , you have a jacket on attached to a bungee , on the whistle you have to run as far as you can on a padded lane , if you stop running its a very quick return....;) , there was about 20 stalls selling the usual school stuff , the disco was just there for a bit of sound , the lights were a total waste of time , the lights in the hall were very bright.
and on a good note , I have been booked for two prom s , and three children's party's , ......result.

Daryllo