PDA

View Full Version : Intel WiDi Video Screencast technology

welby
28-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone uses Intel Widi Video technology to screencast from their laptop to a WiDi receiver.

I sometimes VJ at a venue and have been using a temporary long run of RCA cable to connect my laptop to their video distribution system which is not ideal as I have to
reel out the cable each and every time I play there and it's a nightmare to thread the cable back to the playout system.

Ideally it would be better to have a simple plug and play solution.

I was wondering what are the limitiations on the system, such as walls, signal quality, reliability etc and what, if any, would be your recommended WiDi receiver?

Thank you in advance.

welby
30-12-2012, 03:26 AM
well I am happy to report I tested the belkin sucessfully at home:

I upgraded the firmware as prompted as this adds supports for more media formats.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/belkin-screen-cast-widi-adaptor-10969065-pdt.html

The range is very good at 20m and the quality of the picture is very good and works seemlessly with Virtual DJ.

I had to alter the video/audio sync delay (new feature in VDJ) as there was a small lag of about -10 milliseconds - which is just noticable but was soon "fixed".

All I need to do is test it at the venue tonight, but my first impressions are very good.

PC world have these on offer at the moment @ £49.97 instead of the usual £89.99 - a bargain in my opinion.

Disco Dave
31-12-2012, 09:11 AM
So what do you need to get this working ?

Just wireless on your laptop ?? And does it just share the screen your using or can it be like a extended desktop

welby
06-02-2013, 04:40 PM
So what do you need to get this working ?

Just wireless on your laptop ?? And does it just share the screen your using or can it be like a extended desktop

Hi Dave,

you need an Intel wi-di enabled laptop and a wi-di receiver.

more info here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6312/intels-widi-35-much-faster-usb-miracast-support-and-new-receivers

I'm happy to report that it works very well - I purchased a Belkin Screencast Receiver - Model No. F7D45601

there are others:

D-Link DHD-131* TV Adapter

NETGEAR Push2TV* HD Adapter

The venue I have used it in has very thick walls (over 2ft thick) and the video distrubution system is down in the cellar. I am getting signal strengths of 4 out of 5 bars!

All I had to do in virtual DJ is adjust the Video delay in the Confguration settings to -25 so that the video was in perfect lip sync.

It behaves exactly like a second screen whereby you can duplicate your screen or have it as an extended desktop.

I am very impressed with it - no drop out, no crackles hisses or pops - an NO cables!!!!