PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Malware alert

STEVE HANLEY
09-02-2013, 03:59 PM
I don't know how it's happened but my laptop has become infested with malware/spyware or whatever you want to call it. Naked women everywhere (Ooer missus). My question is. Is there a dowloadable software programme that will zap it all and keep it out? Preferably numpty proof that even an total idiot like me can easily install. Or is it a back to factory settings job (Please god I hope not)

Many thanks good people

DazzyD
09-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Stop! Don't panic!! There's always a solution!

Yes, factory reset - wipe the HDD and start again!

NO!!!!! WAIT!!!!

There is a way. But you need to turn the laptop off and do nothing until you have a recovery system in place. For this, you need another, unaffected computer, that you can use to access the internet and download some software. Only problem is, I'm not 100% sure of the name of the programs you need at this moment as I have them all on my recovery key. Give me a few minutes!!

ppentertainments
09-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Naked women everywhere - just close your internet browser lol

DazzyD
09-02-2013, 04:21 PM
First of all, I'm assuming you've turned the laptop off and back on again (after waiting 10 minutes for a complete shutdown and memory clean). If not, do this now. If the problem remains, read on:

Read this (on a clean computer - if your laptop is still infected it should now be off!):

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/778269

This lists several links to anti-malware software that you can run and try and resolve the problem.

However, I'd expect this might not be enough. You need a program that can "kill" the malware processes on your system. Enter RKill:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

This program will scan your system and shut down any background malware processes that are causing the popups that just won't go away. Instructions are here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/308364/rkill-what-it-does-and-what-it-doesnt-a-brief-introduction-to-the-program/

Follow the instructions to run RKill. Some malware are aware of RKill and will stop any processes associated with the program from running. For this reason there are covert versions of the program (ones that simply have different names - pure genius!!) and you may need to download and run one of these.

Once you've run RKill, following all the on-screen prompts, then you should run some anti-malware software (the ones that were listed in my first link are a good start).

Please read all the info on RKill BEFORE YOU START THE RECOVERY PROCEDURES and always FOLLOW THE PROMPTS. Be aware that any popups telling you RKill is infected with malware ARE FAKE and are just trying to stop you from running RKill. DO NOT BE FOOLED.

A quick tip on malware popup windows. NEVER CLICK ANYWHERE ON THE WINDOW AS THIS WILL DOWNLOAD FURTHER MALWARE TO YOUR COMPUTER - EVEN THE "X" IN THE TOP CORNER IS FAKE. Use Task Manager or right click on the window name in the task bar to close these windows.

I'm going out now so not able to help any further but I hope you get on ok, Steve. But please be patient as the last virus I had took me over 5 hours to remove it completely and I knew what I was doing.. You could be in for a long night!

Oh, and when it comes to removing malware, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com is your friend!

DazzyD
09-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Naked women everywhere - just close your internet browser lol

I had to work hard to resist the tempation to make a comment like this, Chris, but I've seen so many people get really terrified when they've been infected like this that I always walk on eggshells when replying to these requests for help. I've had people ringing me up in tears when they've been infected by the FBI Warning malware that physically blocks the user from accessing the computer. The priority is telling people not to panic and don't go clicking on these popup windows as this only makes things worse. These are just scams intended to scare but, as always, knowledge is everything and they're not really that scary (more of a nuisance) when you get attacked.

STEVE HANLEY
09-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Cheers Daz. I'm reading this on my little netbook which is completely clean. Now to click on some of your links and have a good read:beer1::beer1:

Daryll
09-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Try ( free ware)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

or this is the best , but it is ruthless, also free

http://www.combofix.org/

Daryll

DazzyD
10-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Try ( free ware)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

or this is the best , but it is ruthless, also free

http://www.combofix.org/

Daryll

I've never used Combofix before (never needed to) so I can't comment personally on it's use. However, I remember from past posts on malware issues on here that Marc J recommended you use it with caution (read the whole thread, though, it's a good one and related to this one):

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?36267-Important-message-to-Everyone&p=584329#post584329

What worries me is that the Combofix site mentions having to remove some infections manually which usually entails going in to the registry and editing/removing settings and entries which can be a very daunting task for a novice. It's also quite dangerous if you don't know what you're doing as you could change something that stops your computer from working entirely.

About a year ago I did a full step by step set of instructions for removing malware for a guy I worked with who had the same problem as Steve Hanley. I'm having little luck finding them at the moment but I'll keep on trying. I can't remember if they were for a specific piece of malware (they could be for the Anti Virus 2011-2012-2013 scareware) but they could still come in handy if I can dig them out.

mattydj50
10-02-2013, 10:21 PM
I've used Malaware successfullly on 2 computers and have it running on this one now.

Whenever running clean-up programs or the like, its best to do it after booting in safe mode. That way, it works withour drivers etc. having been started and is less likely to affect "proper" programs.

DazzyD
10-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Unfortunately, I cannot find the step by step instructions that I did to remove malware from computers. I did create a rescue USB key but I can't find that, either! (I'm wondering if I got it back when I loaned it to the guy with the problems???). Oh well, I suppose that's not much use now.

However, I've got a solution which might be easier. Kaspersky Labs are the PC security experts as far as I'm concerned and they've got a rescue USB key of their own which seems really quite simple to create using their own USB installer. All software and full instructions are here:

http://support.kaspersky.com/8092

The instructions are fairly simple compared to some solutions out there and the finished key will contain all the software you need to clean your computer of the infections.

I've also found a lot of recommendations for http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd/ but this doesn't look as straightforward and is possibly higher risk than the Kaspersky solution.

Hope this info can help!

spin mobile disco
13-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Symantec do a free removal tool under their Norton name. It scans your computer remotely and scans fr viruses and malware and can fix. It is free as it is a removal tool rather than a blocking tool. Remember to use a security program it is really worth the money to protect your stuff.

DazzyD
13-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Symantec do a free removal tool under their Norton name. It scans your computer remotely and scans fr viruses and malware and can fix. It is free as it is a removal tool rather than a blocking tool. Remember to use a security program it is really worth the money to protect your stuff.

I've never tried their free malware removal tool because Norton is exceptionally well known for being a pain in the backside should you wish to remove it. I found this out when I bought a new laptop a few years ago that came with Norton installed. I didn't want to keep it so I uninstalled it but soon realised there were about 3 Norton processes still running in the background. Norton is also (or at least used to be) very resource-intensive which could have the effect of slowing your computer whilst running background scans. However, if the removal tool does it's job (including threat removal) remotely without actually installing anything then it could be worth a go.

If you're going down this line then always choose a trusted brand. There are many, many fake anti-virus scans out there that offer to scan your computer for free. The problem is they "find" threats that aren't actually there and offer the "remove" them for a fee. Lots of people have been stung by these scams so please be aware.

EDIT:
It's just been pointed out to me by someone more clued-up on the subject that Norton isn't as bad as used to be and Norton AV 2013 is actually quite good coming third to Bitdefender and Kaspersky in lab tests. And it's not as resource intensive so will, apparently, run in the background without any noticeable strain on your computer. Sounds like it's improved an awful lot since I used it!

Totally Plucked
14-02-2013, 03:18 AM
The free version of this is pretty good too :)
http://www.superantispyware.com/

STEVE HANLEY
14-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Laptop came with Norton supposedly already installed, but I chose the AVG fully paid version £59.00 (A lot of good that did me). Still get alerts even through VDJ when I'm out gigging from Norton telling I'm no longer protected, and to click here etc to pay for their protection. I don't suppose this would have anything to do with current problems??

DazzyD
15-02-2013, 06:57 AM
Laptop came with Norton supposedly already installed, but I chose the AVG fully paid version £59.00 (A lot of good that did me). Still get alerts even through VDJ when I'm out gigging from Norton telling I'm no longer protected, and to click here etc to pay for their protection. I don't suppose this would have anything to do with current problems??

Shouldn't think so. You've probably gotten what's known as a "drive-by" infection whereby simply visiting an infected website (and not necessarily a "dodgy" website, either!) is enough to infect your computer. The recovery disc/usb key option that we've mentioned previously should be enough to cure the problem.

As for completely ridding your computer of Norton, I did mention this is not always a straightforward thing to do and this is why Norton has always been frowned upon as a pain in the backside. Try reading this link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42247/how-to-completely-remove-norton-security-products/ or googling "how to completely remove norton" for some tips.

musicologydisco
15-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Naked women everywhere is a problem? ;)

Larry B Entertainment
01-03-2013, 03:21 PM
I've never tried their free malware removal tool because Norton is exceptionally well known for being a pain in the backside should you wish to remove it.

I think I would sooner get a virus than have to use Norton :o

- - - Updated - - -

Naked women everywhere is a problem? ;)

Just a normal Friday night here :D

hammy
01-03-2013, 07:25 PM
I think I would sooner get a virus than have to use Norton :o
:D

Totally agreee

STEVE HANLEY
02-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Decided to take it back to factory settings. These malware removal tools are an absolute nightmare

DazzyD
02-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Decided to take it back to factory settings. These malware removal tools are an absolute nightmare

I didn't know if you'd gotten it sorted or not. I was still expecting a call from you! I hope you haven't lost too much important data as that is really when this situation becomes a nightmare.

But I really can't stress enough the importance of backing up your important data (although this might be too late for Steve right now). With the number of free, secure online backup services available now, there's really no excuse for not taking these precautions. And there's really no need to lose data. I use a number of these services and I've a free night tonight so I'll knock up a guide to online backup which, hopefully, someone might find useful.

STEVE HANLEY
03-03-2013, 11:49 AM
I didn't know if you'd gotten it sorted or not. I was still expecting a call from you! I hope you haven't lost too much important data as that is really when this situation becomes a nightmare.

But I really can't stress enough the importance of backing up your important data (although this might be too late for Steve right now). With the number of free, secure online backup services available now, there's really no excuse for not taking these precautions. And there's really no need to lose data. I use a number of these services and I've a free night tonight so I'll knock up a guide to online backup which, hopefully, someone might find useful.

It wasn't too bad Dazzy. The only data I lost was easily replaceable. Many thanks for the offer though mate. Much appreciated

DazzyD
03-03-2013, 01:03 PM
No bother, Steve. Glad it wasn't too disastrous for you!

I can't find those recovery files I created that I mentioned earlier so I've decided to do it again. I'm going to put together a key with all the portable versions of all the software and files that are needed to rescue an infected PC. When I'm finished (busy at the moment so it'll be a couple of weeks away) I'll upload the whole thing to one of my online storage accounts* and will post a link on the forum so anyone who wants to can download it and create their own rescue key. I'll also include basic instructions on how to use the key.

*all of the software I will be using is free of charge and freely distributable so there are no copyright issues.

Larry B Entertainment
05-07-2013, 09:16 AM
I did the same thing Daz. I always seem to be the "go to" guy round here for pc problems so I put a bag of tools together that I can just grab and go out with.
Plus I put together a quite comprehensive package of software for rescue, backup and diagnostics that I now have on my usb stick that lives in the bag, stick that I use at work and even on my iPod for real emergencies.

I also use Hirens Boot CD for when the computer is so far gone it wont even boot properly. A Linex Live CD is also handy to have around at times.