PDA

View Full Version : Alto TS Sub 12 thoughts? Or small active sub recommendations

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
08-03-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm in the market for a reasonbly priced, small and fairly light active sub and been looking at one of these.

Anyone using them, heard one or have any suggestions for another similar sub?

Excalibur
08-03-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm in the market for a reasonbly priced, small and fairly light active sub
I have looked recently, and in my humble opinion, that's the hardest thing to recommend. At the budget end of the spectrum, we're firmly in QTX and Skytec territory, and while they're relatively cheap and light, they're not too highly regarded. As soon as you get into higher quality, the cost and size seem to increase very quickly. Although I've not used one, I'd say the Alto is probably about as near the middle as possible.

chrisj
08-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Hi Jim, I have never heard the TS SUB12 but I have a TS SUB15 and apart from it rattles a bit when I really push it (the speaker handles the full power ok) it is a very good sub.
The 12" is 15mm birch ply and not really heavy to move around and I would expect it to handle the 300w rms well. I did buy some Alto mid-tops and sub cabs a few years back on behalf of a youth club. Can't remember the models but they worked very well and as Excaliber, Peter says, they are about middle range in every way.
I only PAT tested my TSsub15 today and decided I will open it up next week to see what rattles when I drive it hard. Somebody else had said they rattle so I will post my findings.

teenypops
08-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Hi Jim, I have never heard the TS SUB12 but I have a TS SUB15 and apart from it rattles a bit when I really push it (the speaker handles the full power ok) it is a very good sub.
The 12" is 15mm birch ply and not really heavy to move around and I would expect it to handle the 300w rms well. I did buy some Alto mid-tops and sub cabs a few years back on behalf of a youth club. Can't remember the models but they worked very well and as Excaliber, Peter says, they are about middle range in every way.
I only PAT tested my TSsub15 today and decided I will open it up next week to see what rattles when I drive it hard. Somebody else had said they rattle so I will post my findings.

I bought a pair of the 15s this week and they are fab - no rattles yet, but I have heard about this and some have found it is the front grill and have removed them an put a small piece of foam behind them around the edges.

No idea on the 12s, but I would imagine they would be pretty punchy if he 15s are anything to go on.

sxboy
09-03-2013, 10:06 AM
I have a single Alto Ts sub 12 I run with a pair of srm450's. Had it about a year now, its not the most punchy of sub in the world, but I just wanted a bit more bass as the mackies are quite toppy. got mine for £225 and for the money its pretty good, probs be better with another, then I could lose the tripods and mount the tops on the subs, just have it under the deckstand at the mo. As I say for a low cost sub, its not bad really.

Daren