PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have experience of the LD Systems Maui 28?

MFEntertainment
04-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Morning all,

Been looking at these for a while now, the price seems good, setup time is rapid plus they look very transportable!

If you haven't seen the LD Systems Maui 28, here's a link: http://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/maui-series/

Just wondered whether anybody had experience with either one or two of the systems?

If I were to invest I think I'd buy a pair, but any advice would be much appreciated!

If it helps I mainly play mid sized venues with upto about 150 guests. I know sound is very personal, just wondered whether these were just a cheap nasty Bose L1 replica or worth a go!

Cheers, Matt

DJIanScott
04-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Hi Matt,

Haven't heard the LD ones yet, but I fear it's just another Chinese OEM product jumping on the 'singing drainpipes' bandwagon! I've heard the Vertus ones from FBT - really sound good if you buy four extra subs....but that's a lot of dollar just for downsizing your speaker boxes.
I used some LD active 12"s last year and they were dreadful! Approach with caution!

Corabar Steve
05-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Hi Matt,

Haven't heard the LD ones yet, but I fear it's just another Chinese OEM product jumping on the 'singing drainpipes' bandwagon!

A) They're made in Germany

B) They're a totally different product to the 12" actives & comparing them to such is a bit daft if you haven't even heard a set. They're a totally different design, they're bound to sound different.

C) They're actually quite good. If I could justify the expenditure of replacing the speakers in all of our rigs with them I would

Jason
05-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Agree with Steve, for the price - a nice system.
Best to go and have a listen, but I've had mine for about 18 months and still happy. I have the bags, so other than a minor scuff on the side of one sub, they're still in very good condition.

I'm not looking to upgrade, so don't really know other options for similar price.

MFEntertainment
05-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Would love to have a listen but sadly I'm stuck on the Isle of Man with no outlet here, back in Manchester in a few weeks, may have to see who has one there and go for a listen!

Jason, you obviously have a system. Do you use one or two of them? Do you ever struggle for power with them?

Cheers, Matt

Sapphire Disco
09-04-2013, 08:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m_LhhKeI7WQ

The more I look into these the more I'm liking them I think I'm going to sell all my big old passive speakers bar one pair for back up and go for them.

Just wondering if I could use them for bigger gigs with a pair of 15" standard speakers up on stands, do you think it would work ?

funkymook
09-04-2013, 09:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m_LhhKeI7WQ

The more I look into these the more I'm liking them I think I'm going to sell all my big old passive speakers bar one pair for back up and go for them.

Just wondering if I could use them for bigger gigs with a pair of 15" standard speakers up on stands, do you think it would work ?

RSD Music aren't too far from you and usually have them in stock if you wanted a demo.

Sapphire Disco
09-04-2013, 09:46 PM
RSD Music aren't too far from you and usually have them in stock if you wanted a demo.

That's true I drive very close to them on my way to my shop every day I'll drop in and have a listen.

WWDJ
09-04-2013, 10:36 PM
RSD have the Maui 11, Maui 28, FBT Vertus and Bose L1S/B2 all side by side ready to compare.

Jason
13-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Would love to have a listen but sadly I'm stuck on the Isle of Man with no outlet here, back in Manchester in a few weeks, may have to see who has one there and go for a listen!

Jason, you obviously have a system. Do you use one or two of them? Do you ever struggle for power with them?

Cheers, Matt

Hi Matt - sorry for not replying sooner.
Yes, I've got a pair. A typical event for me is around 100-150 guests.
I've not had a problem with power output. It may depend on your market, but for a function/wedding DJ, they're fine. If you're needing big, in your face bass, you'll need reinforcements or a different system.

For the price when I brought them, it was good value and for me, a step-up in sound for the Mackie 450s I was using.
I loaned my pair to Steve who also went on the buy a system.

However, I'd still advise anyone to go and listen to the and compare against other systems in your budget.

Cheers,
Jason

kaborex
15-06-2015, 03:09 PM
A) They're made in Germany

B) They're a totally different product to the 12" actives & comparing them to such is a bit daft if you haven't even heard a set. They're a totally different design, they're bound to sound different.

C) They're actually quite good. If I could justify the expenditure of replacing the speakers in all of our rigs with them I would

I am afraid they are made in china as per the email below from LD system themselves. Designed in Germany but made in china like evrything else on planet earth in the 21st century.

Dear Jim,

The LDMAUI28 is designed in Germany and made in China.

Best regards

Lee

Von: LD Systems [mailto:[email protected]]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 11. Juni 2015 14:37
An: [email protected]
Betreff: CONTACT FORM

Message from Jim Tall([email protected])

PHONE: 02088566525
ADDRESS: Indus Road
Postal code: se7 7ef
CITY: London

Hi,

I am looking into a compact PA system and have come to the following three as a wish list:

1) RCF evox 8
2) HK Audio lucas nano 600
3) Ld System Maui 28

The RCF would be a massive stretch of my budget which leaves me with The HK Audio and the LD systems. I guess my main question is:

Are the Maui 28 built in Germany or china?

Regards