PDA

View Full Version : Another Windows 8 discussion

Corabar Entertainment
28-07-2013, 02:04 PM
I really need a new laptop (for business, but not for DJing), but I am dreading it because of some of the things I have read about Windows 8.

I won't be getting a touch screen, just a run-of-the-mill laptop, so I would be grateful if people could give me their honest opinions - especially if they've used it for a while - with the good and bad points about it.

Ta!

hammy
28-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Now the new update has come out Angela it is much better as it is aimed at non touch screens and has the start button on the bottom left, My honest opinion I like it now.

Corabar Entertainment
28-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Cheers, Hammy. Everyone comments about the 'Start' button, but very little else.

Is there anything else I ought to be aware of?

Excalibur
28-07-2013, 02:31 PM
I really need a new laptop (for business, but not for DJing), but I am dreading it because of some of the things I have read about Windows 8.

If you can bring yourself to deal with them, PC World Business still offer machines with Windows 7. ( Thanks for that advice, Vectis. ) It may not be the answer, but it's an option.

Daryll
28-07-2013, 03:26 PM
right , lets have a go at this.

The old start button flaw.

Just go to http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php install it , sorted.

the next thing that is different , File Explorer , really easy to use.

example.

the file explorer main menu.

everything is in logical order order

you can do a search in any position

I have not got the touch screen either , it makes no difference.
I am probably using win 8 in it`s most basic form , it does exactly what I need it to do.

SC Events
28-07-2013, 04:31 PM
1.) Unistall Windows 8

2.) Install Windows 7

Job done! :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-07-2013, 05:15 PM
iMac

:sofa:

DeckstarDeluxe
28-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Other than the start button there isn't really much to moan about. Not a fan of the windows and tabs but once you hit the desktop it's like windows 7 for me.

Corabar Entertainment
28-07-2013, 05:51 PM
right , lets have a go at this.

The old start button flaw.

Just go to http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php install it , sorted.

the next thing that is different , File Explorer , really easy to use.......

I have not got the touch screen either , it makes no difference.
I am probably using win 8 in it`s most basic form , it does exactly what I need it to do.Thanks for taking the time to do that, Daryll - much appreciated! That side of things looks pretty much the same as Windows 7 (unless I'm missing something).

Other than the start button there isn't really much to moan about. Not a fan of the windows and tabs but once you hit the desktop it's like windows 7 for me.Windows and Tabs????? Pardon, Neil? :confused:

1.) Unistall Windows 8

2.) Install Windows 7

Job done! :D

iMac

:sofa:Bog off you two! :lol:

djeddie
28-07-2013, 09:33 PM
I've got Win8 and surprisingly been very happy with it... ever since I installed "classicshell (http://www.classicshell.net/)".
Absolutely flies along though. It has genuinely surprised me. Maybe I'm just the lucky one!

Corabar Entertainment
28-07-2013, 10:11 PM
I've got Win8 and surprisingly been very happy with it... ever since I installed "classicshell (http://www.classicshell.net/)".
Absolutely flies along though. It has genuinely surprised me. Maybe I'm just the lucky one!Any specifics? What are the good and bad points about it?

I know nothing about it at all other than

"It's totally different" (but no-one says in what way other than it doesn't have a start button!)

Cheers.

djeddie
29-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Specifics? It's kind of hard to narrow it down really!

The lack of start button is the main problem and trying to find the shut down / restart menu(!), but classicshell gives you all of that back.

If you've been through the various, or any, incarnations of Windows (95, 98, XP, Vista, 7 etc etc) then you'll instinctively be at home with it. Even the "tiles" bit becomes quite obvious after just a few minutes. Mind you I don't use the tiles thing anymore. Mine runs everything I want, including some Visual Basic programs I did years ago, which apparently shouldn't work, but they do.

Everything seems to be true Plug and Play rather than previous versions of Windows when it was more like Plug and :Censored: Around For Hours! Network things were found instantly, including my NAS drive, network printer and both MacBooks... and it talks to all of them!

Like I said, it has surprised me as all the other info I see on the 'net says how bad it is. I'm seriously thinking of sending an email to Microsoft to see if I win a prize or something!

Sorry I can't be any more help than that, but it just seems to work. Which, I suppose, is how it's meant to be.

(BTW, mine was a home-build desktop PC with Windows 8 Pro installed by myself, so no added on manufacturer garbage, bloatware and the like).