PDA

View Full Version : Best light for home use?

matt the cat
19-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi guys imagine my happiness when i recently met a girl and we started dating only for her to tell me she has her very own Karaoke room in her house!

The first time i went back i was expecting to see a cheap karaoke machine and a portable tv but boy was i wrong! she has a professional set up with a large plazma on the wall and best of all she has a gobo light and smoke machine installed in the ceiling!

I asked her what she wanted for Christmas and was gobsmacked when she replied that she really wanted another Disco light to fix on the ceiling as her present light is a bit boring! We live in Cheshire so our nearest store is Cookies in Stoke and she spent hours looking on the website at lights!

I have been a Mobile DJ for 11 years now and im currently using the KAM Powerbar with a Revo 4 and a couple of laser`s but these are a bit big for home use so im after advice on a decent light to go in an average sized room in a house, she doesnt like lights that just put circles on the floor so im after something a bit exciting that will wow our guests and in the £100-£150 price range.

Shakermaker Promotions
19-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Why not try a Chauvet Obsession 2.0. It is LED but has changing gobos and is very bright. I bought 2 of them a few weeks back following a recommendation from Daryll and I'm happy with them. You can also link them together. Look even better with smoke or haze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRBKNw1eK0

Shaun
19-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Diffraction laser?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKYxhQLWtHo

The one above is just a little over your budget (£159) from one of the forum advertisers. Link is below....

http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/lighting-c1/laser-effects-c61/diffraction-fx-c62/laserworld-el-250rgb-micro-multi-colour-cluster-effect-laser-p1013

There are cheaper diffraction lasers out there but the multi-colored one above sets it apart I think.

yourdj
19-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Is the whole room a karaoke room only?
Does she have a large house or is she just obsessed with karaoke?

Seems a strange thing to donate a whole room too, but not without the fun.

How large is the room and what does she want.
I would imagine something a bit more passive like a mirrorball/jelly dome or colour changing bars would be more appropriate?

pgw71
19-12-2013, 03:23 PM
I don't have any particular advice to give you on the light... but I must say you are almost certainly the envy of every single male on this forum :thumbsup:

Corabar Steve
20-12-2013, 12:59 AM
... but I must say you are almost certainly the envy of every single male on this forum :thumbsup:

Not really, I :Censored: hate karaoke

DJ Jules
20-12-2013, 07:01 AM

I'd have major issues if she was this fanatical about it, and still a :censored: singer :D

I second the comments above, I'd be inclined to go for something like a Jellydome or the Obsession, and I'd probably be looking to get some kind of RGB lighting strips for round the edges of the room in the future... Not that I've ever thought about doing this myself or anything....

Julian

DJColsie
20-12-2013, 08:17 AM

I am in that camp too!

Excalibur
20-12-2013, 08:52 AM

Karaoke's a lot like :bang: It's such a relief when you stop. :D:D

PS. I have it on good authority that Steve's a KJ on occasion, so the lad doth protest too much, methinks. :D:D

matt the cat
05-01-2014, 06:35 PM
Cheers guys I eventually opted for a Laserworld ES 600B Blue laser and she's delighted with it