PDA

View Full Version : LD Stinger 12", G2

Excalibur
04-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Well folks, for those who didn't already know, I was the lucky winner of the LD cabs in the Ampdj prize draw. Hence my desire to shift some of the older PA in my for sale thread.
I've just this minute collected them, and I shall soon have a play with them. They're going out on Saturday for a wedding, and I'll give a full report of their performance then. They're a wooden cab, and unusually for an active, they've got a speakon socket to run a passive cab with.

OK, off I go to read the instructions, and plug 'em in. Back soon.

Shaun
04-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Congrats again. Couldn't have been won by a nicer guy.

Imagine
05-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Peter - I officially hate you :mad:

I desperately wanted to win those!!!!!!

Well done though...hope they're as good as the spec says (lucky bugger)

Excalibur
07-06-2014, 12:59 PM
They're presently set up in a marquee waiting for the real test. For reasons I won't go into in this section, I haven't taken subs, so they'll probably get a good workout this evening.

While I appreciate that an empty marquee is not a true indicator of performance when the area is filled with bodies, on running them up and having a five minute firkle about with a few tone and volume controls, I can sum up my initial impressions of them in one word:

Awesome.

A fuller review should appear tomorrow.

ian8limelight
07-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Congrats again. Couldn't have been won by a nicer guy.

Seconded :daft::beer1:

Daryll
08-06-2014, 01:05 AM
Thirded.......................:beer1:

DJColsie
11-06-2014, 07:18 AM
So, how did they go Peter?

Excalibur
11-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Well althought the glowing character references are flattering and embarrasing, they are way :offtopic: so:

So, how did they go Peter?

Thank you for asking. I've had three goes at this, and lost each one with PC problems, so here we go again. Right, they're wooden cabs, so you would expect a reasionable amount of bass from them. They aren't intrinsically bassy, but they will accept every bit of bass you can put on them from the mixer without any problems at all. The tone controls on the cabs themselves don't seem to have a really wide range, but that's not a big thing.

For vocals, I haven't heard anything to touch them, they';re so accurate, so cleasr, and so sweet. My mic was the best I've ever had, and sounded lovely. For the first time, I had to bring up the bass on it, rather than pulling it down as usual. This was because of a characteristic of the cabs. If I had to use one word to describe their sound, it would be " bright." Two words would be " very bright ". Not harsh at all, just very bright. Raising the bass on the mixer a couple of notches, and lowering the top the same solved this totally.

I was running them hard, to test them, and for a marquee, they coped well. I did however hit the clip lights, which is something I never achieved with my reference point, the old Wharfedale Titans. I was making a fair old noise by then, so I wasn't unduly disheartened.

What are they good at? Vocals, really really good.

Can you use them on their own? Yes, but hand on heart, for best results I think subs would be a must for an event where ( loud bassy ) music was the main prerequisite. Haven't heard the 15", but that might be interesting. They could perhaps do so, who knows?

Would I buy them? Oh yes. They're the prettiest looking I've seen ( Jeanette even said how good they looked ), they sound lovely, and for the Legslappers gigs, they'll be perfect.

Are they good value? Hmmm, that's the tricky one. There's an immense amount of competition around, for not a vast amount more money, you can get Yamahas. I need to run them against a few other cabs, John's RCF 312s would be a very good comparison, as would Andy's Altos, and even his HK tops.

They're definitely well worth a listen, well worth a listen. So far, I love them. I'll keep you posted in the long term.

sandysounds
17-06-2014, 01:23 AM
Congratulations. Thanks for the honest review. I must admit, when I first heard them I was dead impressed.

Excalibur
17-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Congratulations. Thanks for the honest review. I must admit, when I first heard them I was dead impressed.

As am I Sandy. Perhaps it didn't come across how delighted I am with them, I really love them. I've only done one gig with them, which being a marquee didn't reflect any bass, so I could imagine them sounding a lot bassier in say a village hall. On Saturday, they're going out perched atop a pile of bass bins for 500 Young Farmers, so a very different task for them. I'm confident they'll aquit themselves well.

Once again, many thanks for the opportunity to win them. Once I've saved up enough for the matching subs, I'll be a really happy bunny.

The subs aren't perchance the prize in the next competition, are they? :whistle::D:D

DazzyD
17-06-2014, 02:21 PM
...The subs aren't perchance the prize in the next competition, are they? :whistle::D:D

Chancer!! :p

Excalibur
20-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Just call me Victor Kyam*.

While I haven't bought the company, I have ordered the matching subs. I hope to have them on Wednesday, and I'll give another honest report when I've used them. The tops are going to be perched atop a large stack of subs this weekend for 500 Young Farmers, so should be a stiff test.

* If you're under 40, Google him, and Remington. :D

Corabar Steve
20-06-2014, 09:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdlv9R7fi_8

Couldn't find one with the relevant quote.

Imagine
21-06-2014, 12:12 AM
Memories of Christmas past there Steve - you'll be digging up the Hinge and Bracket sherry ads next ;)

BTW - where DID Victor get that wig from....it looks like it's capable of getting up and walking away! :daft:

Excalibur
05-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Victor here again. :D
For the young Farmers gig, I stacked up my Classs D bins, and my Eminence powered Peaveys, and for the first time got a really satisfactory bass sound. Was moving lots of air. The 12" Stingers perched atop them were a really nice match, and I was very very happy with the whole setup.However:

As some members know, my LD subs arrived this week, and I was struck by their sheer size. And weight. 32 Kgs. Had I gone for the active version,
41 Kg. That's a lot of weight to shift on your own. The fancy handles are good though, and I've found it best to carry them with the grille towards you, as it shifts the centre of gravity a bit nearer you.

So, I had a gig on Friday where in theory they weren't needed. In practice, I was desperate to try them. So how did they sound, I hear you ask? Driven by the same big Studiomaster amp as the four boxes, how did they compare? Only one word fits the bill. Awesome. It's a totally different kind of bass from the others, but very very pronounced. With the four boxes together, the sound output was incredible, and there was a lot left in reserve, particularly with the subs.

I need to do more tweaking to get the sound where I want it, but overall, I'm impressed again. Anybody who wants to hear them, I'm bringing them to Coalville next year, unquestionably.

Excalibur
13-07-2014, 08:52 PM
Well, for various reasons, a forum member who's being uncharacteristically reticent came down to visit me today, bringing with him another member from a similar location. First off, it was great to see them both. As an adjunct to the real purpose of their visit, they brought down the new PA system that one of them has been in raptures about. Since I have been singing the praises of my rig, what else could we do but have a soundoff? :D

My rig was up against some 18" HK subs, and 12" HK tops. When we fired up the HK tops, I thought we'd got the subs in play as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They were fantastic. They weighed naff all as well. The subs? Visually, not a lot bigger than my 15" LD subs, but in my humble opinion, too big for me. I maintained that my LD subs were too heavy for comfort, but they both informed me that they were in no way heavy or awkward. Funnily enough, my tops were heavier than the HK ones.

Well we ran every combination we could, we A-B tested subs, tops, and tops plus subs. Mine were very very good, but not as good as the HK. The HK tops were way better than mine, and the difference between the subs was, again in my very humble opinion, purely down to the extra size of the drivers.

Considering the price differential of the systems ( somewhere between £500 to £1,000 depending where you shop ) I reckon pound for pound, there wasn't a lot of difference. Both rigs just had the utmost vocal clarity, and more than adequate bass. Mine's just lacking a tiny touch of depth, which again can be compensated for with a touch of EQ.

The more numerate of you will be wondering where the fifth box was. :confused: This was the wild card. :) As soon as I handled the LD subs, I knew they weren't going to ever go upstairs. Since my tops really are way better with subs, I had to get a sub for a 2.1 rig. I did. I warned my colleagues that I was now going to put their expensive ones to shame. I reached into my van, and brought out a weapon that could be carried easily with one hand, yet had enough channels to run both tops from it. We wired it all up, and stood back a long way to fully admire the aural assault that was surely going to come.

Well perhaps I had exaggerated the capabilities of the pocket rocket a tad. Well 300 watts of 15" Alto didn't set our trousers a flapping, but it did do exactly what it was meant to do. Help out the tops a bit. We found that we got a better result with the tops getting a full range signal from it, rather than a high out, cos it wasn't really up to providing enough bass to keep up with two LD tops.

However: One 18" HK could. Wow!! Absolutely fantastic sound, totally superb. My colleagues did concede that neither of them would want to carry one of the HK subs upstairs though, so the Alto came out on top in that respect. :D:D

As an aside, we were running WAV files against mp3. No contest. I can see why the advocates of WAV are so passionate about it. I'm still not going to re-rip my songs to WAV though, I nearly went loopy doing it the first time, I couldn't do it again.

A very informative afternoon, many thanks to my intrepid travellers, great to see you both, as always.