PDA

View Full Version : Corrtex HDC 1000

velocityroadshow
30-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Hi,

Quick question about this unit. Does anyone use an unpowered hard drive with it? Does it work ok, or do you all use powered, desktop, hard drives?

DJ Jules
30-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Hi,

Quick question about this unit. Does anyone use an unpowered hard drive with it? Does it work ok, or do you all use powered, desktop, hard drives?

I used to use a HDC3000 (about 3 years ago now) and I used a 2.5" USB powered hard drive with it without any issue. I know the recommendation was always to use a powered USB hub and/or a powered hard drive, but I never had a problem.

Julian

Excalibur
30-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Yes, no and maybe!

Some do, some don't, and I can not forecast which. If you want to use usb powered drives, then in my opinion, a powered hub is a must. Also, I've had more success with the drives with two plugs on, perhaps they get more power through, the Cortex was noted for not having a lot of power on the usb sockets.

Shaun
30-07-2014, 12:45 PM
I used to have a cortex for backup. Never used it on the road but tested it thoroughly with an unpowered hub and it worked fine.

DJ Jules
30-07-2014, 12:58 PM
... perhaps they get more power through, the Cortex was noted for not having a lot of power on the usb sockets.

One thing I probably should mention is that my Cortex didn't come with a power supply so I always used a Maplin's special power adaptor which was significantly over-rated for the job (70w from memory).

Julian

Shaun
30-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Sorry, I misread your initial post. I thought you meant an unpowered hub (not an unpowered HDD).

velocityroadshow
30-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Sorry, I misread your initial post. I thought you meant an unpowered hub (not an unpowered HDD).

So your hard drive was powered?

- - - Updated - - -

I used to use a HDC3000 (about 3 years ago now) and I used a 2.5" USB powered hard drive with it without any issue. I know the recommendation was always to use a powered USB hub and/or a powered hard drive, but I never had a problem.

Julian

Hi,

Thanks for that, was it quite a big hard drive or was it just a a little bit of music on it?

DJ Jules
30-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks for that, was it quite a big hard drive or was it just a a little bit of music on it?

It was a standard 2.5" 120Gb, 7200rpm laptop hard disk which was pretty much full at the point where I switched to laptop :D If you're looking to try and keep the power drain on the unit to a minimum, look at SATA SSD's (or just great big USB memory sticks) as these have no moving parts and much lower power consumption - however, I wouldn't worry - it can supply a lot more power through the USB ports than a standard laptop.

Julian

Shaun
30-07-2014, 07:35 PM
So your hard drive was powered?

Yes, the hard drive was powered, the hub was un-powered.

velocityroadshow
30-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Hi Thanks,

Might just give it a try and see how it goes. Probably the best bet.

Creature
09-08-2014, 09:33 PM
First of all - get the correct power supply for the cortex! theres usually some on well known auction site or at least get one the correct volt/ampage.

I have 4 cortexes - 2 for each mixer desk, 3 ran harddrives ok without a powered hub, but the other just did not want to work properly without one!.

Personally i would forget all about using harddrives and use memory sticks, I use the kingston (genuine not the cheap ones) 128 gigs and they work beuatifully :) plus as no moving parts and if not using a keyboard you can hold the up n down arrows without the playing track faultering :)

make sure you have the latest firmware installed - its no longer on there website - if you message me your email addy i will try n find were i have stored the last update.

CRAZY K
27-10-2015, 07:41 PM
First of all - get the correct power supply for the cortex! theres usually some on well known auction site or at least get one the correct volt/ampage.

I have 4 cortexes - 2 for each mixer desk, 3 ran harddrives ok without a powered hub, but the other just did not want to work properly without one!.

Personally i would forget all about using harddrives and use memory sticks, I use the kingston (genuine not the cheap ones) 128 gigs and they work beuatifully :) plus as no moving parts and if not using a keyboard you can hold the up n down arrows without the playing track faultering :)

make sure you have the latest firmware installed - its no longer on there website - if you message me your email addy i will try n find were i have stored the last update.

I have been running mine with either 64gb memory stick or a couple of unpowered hard drives 250gb.

Once I got the MP3s into folders its all been perfect now for many years. :beer1: