PDA

View Full Version : HK Audio Lucas Nano 600

paulg
01-09-2014, 08:12 PM
I've got one of these arriving Wednesday this week. They are supposed to be pretty good. Rather than go to the trouble of writing a review, I thought it would be worth asking if anyone was remotely interested first!

funkymook
01-09-2014, 08:28 PM
I've got one of these arriving Wednesday this week. They are supposed to be pretty good. Rather than go to the trouble of writing a review, I thought it would be worth asking if anyone was remotely interested first!

Certainly - I think more and more people are using a small speaker option for ceremony/reception background duties.

What are you planning to use it for?

paulg
01-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Certainly - I think more and more people are using a small speaker option for ceremony/reception background duties.

What are you planning to use it for?

I have a few smaller restaurant venues at the moment - 50 people max. Perhaps also children's parties. Failing that, it'll become my upstairs music room PA / telly soundbar!! I'll give it a test and post up a review.

Sapphire Disco
01-09-2014, 09:22 PM
When I was on Holiday last week there was a duo playing , girl singing guy on guitar with backing track and vocal all going through one I was astounded how good and full it sounded.

DJ Jules
02-09-2014, 07:33 AM
Yup, I just googled it - fascinating little set up. Max SPL 130db from a 10" sub and twin 4.5" tops?

Jonny Boy
02-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Yup, I just googled it - fascinating little set up. Max SPL 130db from a 10" sub and twin 4.5" tops?

I was just about to write a review of one of these, as it happens.

I've bought 600 too and have used it already for a small singing-only gig (70 guests in a small room.) It was clearer and punchier than the resident DJs 'full' powered system.

For DJs, I reckon it's most ideal for cermonies, background music/speeches. A friend has one and has used it for a small disco. I think I'd be inclined to use 2 linked via 1/4 stereo jack for a 'full' disco however, and mount 2 tops on poles above the bass/amp on each side.

Even then, it's not going to fill a massive venue, if I'm honest. That said, sound quality is amazing for the size/price - and it packs away very small, with the tops clipping into a recess inside the bass/amp. I can lift it to waist height with 2/3 fingers and carry with one hand, meaning for wee gigs using venue lighting and I don't need costume, it's single trip.

It's also more 'forgiving' than a Bose & a Vertus IMHO, but probably not quite a good a sound quality or output as a Vertus to my ear, obviously. But then, it's 75% cheaper. ;-)

I used a cheap Wharfdale mixer for my last show to save space (mixer sits on clamp-on kinsman shelf onto the speaker tripod itself), which meant my whole setup footprint could be about 2ft square. Next time I'm going to try with a better quality Mackie mixer and while this will increase my setup footprint to 3ft sq the overall sound quality will be better witha cleaner signal. For disco, could run xlr direct from controller to the HK, and mic direct to the separate xlr/jack combi imput, with another channel spare for backup - eg tablet.

The thing I'm disappointed by is that the stand systems need to be purchased separately (a) 2 x tripods + neutrik leads @ circa
£90+, or (b) single pole to mount for 1/both tweeters which screws into the bass/amp circa £60. :-(
It can however be run with the 2 tops slipping directly into the bass unti, much like an flash shoe might into the top of a camera - this does however risk the sound being absorbed by bodies unless you're on a highish stage.
The "shoe" connection also seems sturdier than the pin connectios I've seen on other compact systems (eg the ?Maui?)

Overall, pleased so far, but will write more after a few different gigs.

paulg
02-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Thanks for that info - very useful. You're right about the add ons - it's a bit annoying but I've managed to get 2x10m speakon cables thrown in for a total of 749.00. The satellite speaker adapters are £19.00 a pair from Thomann. HK have advised that you can get them from IVOR MAIRANTS in the UK. Their telephone number is 0207 6361481 if you need it..

Jonny Boy
03-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Thanks for that info - very useful. You're right about the add ons - it's a bit annoying but I've managed to get 2x10m speakon cables thrown in for a total of 749.00. The satellite speaker adapters are £19.00 a pair from Thomann. HK have advised that you can get them from IVOR MAIRANTS in the UK. Their telephone number is 0207 6361481 if you need it..

You mean like these? : http://www.thomann.de/gb/hk_audio_lucas_nano_pole_mount_adapter.htm

BUT am I understanding the is right that these will be like top-hat adaptors for "ordinary" 35mm spreaker stand/tripods?
(One could therefore still double-up the larger tripod as light stands using o-clamp/ATLAS etc? (Which I'd not want to do on the HK spacepole directly above the bass/amp.)

Or have I missed something? #beingthick

Out of stock with I.M a.t.m., but I'd get them *free* anyway with my Thomann points from the last items I bought & reviewed! WOOHOO!!

paulg
03-09-2014, 03:55 PM
These just slip over the top of a standard speaker pole. One would go over the m20 threaded pole that screws into the sub (I've got to get one of those now too) and the other would go over a standard speaker stand.

Jonny Boy
04-09-2014, 09:00 AM
These just slip over the top of a standard speaker pole. One would go over the m20 threaded pole that screws into the sub (I've got to get one of those now too) and the other would go over a standard speaker stand.

And you could also presumably mount the 2 tops (clipped into each other) into I stand adaptor for a column effect.
I do love the adaptability of this system, even if it requires further investment....

Am also quite taken with the rolling bag. ;-) #spendspendspend

paulg
06-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Seeing as there are a lot of you looking at PA columns and mini arrays, here's a few thoughts on the HK Audio Lucas Nano 600. I know lots of DJ's etc who are very sceptical about this sort of kit so I've put a bit of effort in to try to provide a fairly objective assessment.

Took delivery this week and it's already been gigged twice - for a small wedding (90-100 guests) in a 15m x 15m room approx and a children's party in a large village hall (35 children plus mums and dads). It coped with both, no problem and with room to spare, so that was good news. From experience, I'd guess it's good for gigs up to 150 people.

Anyway, straight out of the box you notice how good the build quality is. It is very solid and although it's made of plastic with a steel front grille, it feels as though it could stand a few knocks. HK Audio have braced the insides of the subwoofer to avoid rattles and improve resonance and that probably helps make the unit so rigid. It is light (19kg) and can be picked up with one hand with ease. It has two carry handles and it is a doddle to carry about. It is also very small at just 35 cm wide, 49 cm high and 47 cm deep including the 2 satellites which stash in the back of the sub. You could easily transport the whole thing in a car on the front passenger seat.

All the controls are easy to use and clearly set out. Just connect up your inputs from mixer / laptop / MP3 Player / Mic / Phantom Mic / Guitar / Keyboard (jacks /XLR/phono) then connect the sub to the satellites and that's it. If you are thinking of buying one of these, the satellites connect to the sub using speakons. When I bought mine, some dealers were getting confused with the 300 series and were recommending jack leads rather than speakon leads. TIP: You'll need 2 speakon cables to run in stereo mode, 1 cable to run in mono mode with the satellites docked on top of each other on a pole or....no speakons if you dock the 2 satellites onto the connector built into the top of the sub. Sounds Live in Newcaste kindly provided a pair of speakons for free. It's already been said that HK don't include any speakon cables, a speaker pole with M20 thread for the sub or the mountings if you want to put the satellites onto a speaker pole / stand so there's a bit of extra cost here if you need them all. You do get a nylon cover though. TIP: the satellites have a 3/8 inch female thread in the bottom so you could use microphone stand with a 3/8 inch male thread to mount them. I made some sleeves with a 3/8 thread on top to sit over my speaker poles so I can just screw the satellites on. Works fine, cost nothing.

The most important thing has to be how they sound and on this forum, are they any good for DJ's. Yes, in fact I am amazed with the Nano. It's beyond me how HK Audio have managed to get so much noise from such a small package. The sub is a revelation. Very loud, very low bass from a 10 inch speaker? I can't see how it is possible. It has a front facing speaker and also has ports on the underside of the unit which move a massive amount of air but by rights, it shouldn't be able to do what it does and certainly not from a plastic cabinet. The satellites are quite clever too. They have a multi-cell diffuser sat in front of a very small speaker and again, they do more than you would think possible. If you look at the technical data it states the satellite dispersion as 90 degrees horizontal and +10/-45 degrees vertical. I'm guessing that sound is thrown forwards / downwards more than it is thrown upwards so more is directed at the audience. I reckon that the satellites have the output of a decent 12 inch speaker so something clever is going on inside both the sub and satellite. Whilst the sub and bass output is amazing and the satellites give a very bright feel to highs, the mids are slightly weaker but there is a very useful tone control knob to compensate for this. That said, it just means that the nano sounds slightly different to a 'normal' speaker cabinet. Not worse, just a bit different different. After a few minutes, you get to understand the sound and it is very pleasant to listen to - precise, without a hint of coarseness or distortion, even at the point where the large easy to see red limiter light comes on (at last, someone has put a nice big limiter light on the top of a sub where you can actually see it). It is one of many thoughtful features on the Nano.

Today, I played some vocal / acoustic music through the Nano and it sounded like a live performer in the room whereas the bass from UB40's Kingston Town shook the room. The Nano also handles live vocals pretty well so it is a bit of an all-rounder. In our house we have a simple test. Amongst other things, I always play Darude's Sandstorm through any new PA. It's my missuses favourite and a good test track. If she nods or smiles, then the heavy bass crashes at the beginning must sound dramatic and the electronic highs must rasp as they should. She is, after all, a listener and not an overly complicated DJ. If she looks nonplussed then it's trouble. Within the next day or so, I'll be answering questions about how much money have I wasted this time! With the Nano, she nodded and even took a passing interest in the tiny little PA system. A result!. This is exactly how my DB Technologies subs were consigned to history because that time, she shook her head. Thumbs down. She knows best.

I have been overly sceptical when it comes to ultra compact PA's and mini arrays and I now have to eat humble pie. The technical people have perfected them and these tiny lightweight systems finally seem to be able to compete with bigger, heavier traditional PA speakers. It's very hard to describe sound output in words but HK's claim of 130db in mono mode isn't far off the mark. That might not sound so spectacular because there are plenty of single 10-12 inch speakers that can achieve these SPL's. However, none of them can match the bass output of the nano and nor can you split the High frequency drivers in two and place them in a stereo layout to give a full array of sound across a venue. This is what sets the Nano apart from other systems. With all this new fangled technology, I'd estimate the tiny Nano's overall output at somewhere just below that of the current Lucas Performer or the older HK Lucas 1000. This is for less than half the cost, about half the weight and half the size. The beauty of this system is that you can run it as a single modular column array or you can split the satellites and use it as a stereo system (similar to a HK Lucas Impact etc) or you can connect up 2 units to make a twin sub / 2 tops arrangement. The latter would make a very capable PA system and the two units combined wouldn't occupy much more space than a standard 15 inch speaker. Finally, when it's not being gigged in connects up to the telly in my music room to make a kicking 2.1 sound system!

If you're after a very compact PA, give this serious consideration.

Jonny Boy
08-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Comprehensive & well written review there Paul.... Pro-Mobile article all ready, right there!

I'm putting things in place to buy a 2nd after this weekend's '2 upstairs venues' back-aches...

would be interested to see the 35mm pole adaptor you've made & how.

paulg
08-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Comprehensive & well written review there Paul.... Pro-Mobile article all ready, right there!

I'm putting things in place to buy a 2nd after this weekend's '2 upstairs venues' back-aches...

Thanks, tbh pretty much the last time I'll bother making any effort to post on here. I tend to do a review when there is not much on the web because I have always found similar efforts useful.

paulg
08-09-2014, 10:08 PM

send me your email and I'll send you a piccy.

anviers
10-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Paul, thanks for the excellent review, can I ask you where you put this Hk Nano 600 against the Lucas smart system? thanks again

Seeing as there are a lot of you looking at PA columns and mini arrays, here's a few thoughts on the HK Audio Lucas Nano 600. I know lots of DJ's etc who are very sceptical about this sort of kit so I've put a bit of effort in to try to provide a fairly objective assessment.

Took delivery this week and it's already been gigged twice - for a small wedding (90-100 guests) in a 15m x 15m room approx and a children's party in a large village hall (35 children plus mums and dads). It coped with both, no problem and with room to spare, so that was good news. From experience, I'd guess it's good for gigs up to 150 people.

Anyway, straight out of the box you notice how good the build quality is. It is very solid and although it's made of plastic with a steel front grille, it feels as though it could stand a few knocks. HK Audio have braced the insides of the subwoofer to avoid rattles and improve resonance and that probably helps make the unit so rigid. It is light (19kg) and can be picked up with one hand with ease. It has two carry handles and it is a doddle to carry about. It is also very small at just 35 cm wide, 49 cm high and 47 cm deep including the 2 satellites which stash in the back of the sub. You could easily transport the whole thing in a car on the front passenger seat.

All the controls are easy to use and clearly set out. Just connect up your inputs from mixer / laptop / MP3 Player / Mic / Phantom Mic / Guitar / Keyboard (jacks /XLR/phono) then connect the sub to the satellites and that's it. If you are thinking of buying one of these, the satellites connect to the sub using speakons. When I bought mine, some dealers were getting confused with the 300 series and were recommending jack leads rather than speakon leads. TIP: You'll need 2 speakon cables to run in stereo mode, 1 cable to run in mono mode with the satellites docked on top of each other on a pole or....no speakons if you dock the 2 satellites onto the connector built into the top of the sub. Sounds Live in Newcaste kindly provided a pair of speakons for free. It's already been said that HK don't include any speakon cables, a speaker pole with M20 thread for the sub or the mountings if you want to put the satellites onto a speaker pole / stand so there's a bit of extra cost here if you need them all. You do get a nylon cover though. TIP: the satellites have a 3/8 inch female thread in the bottom so you could use microphone stand with a 3/8 inch male thread to mount them. I made some sleeves with a 3/8 thread on top to sit over my speaker poles so I can just screw the satellites on. Works fine, cost nothing.

The most important thing has to be how they sound and on this forum, are they any good for DJ's. Yes, in fact I am amazed with the Nano. It's beyond me how HK Audio have managed to get so much noise from such a small package. The sub is a revelation. Very loud, very low bass from a 10 inch speaker? I can't see how it is possible. It has a front facing speaker and also has ports on the underside of the unit which move a massive amount of air but by rights, it shouldn't be able to do what it does and certainly not from a plastic cabinet. The satellites are quite clever too. They have a multi-cell diffuser sat in front of a very small speaker and again, they do more than you would think possible. If you look at the technical data it states the satellite dispersion as 90 degrees horizontal and +10/-45 degrees vertical. I'm guessing that sound is thrown forwards / downwards more than it is thrown upwards so more is directed at the audience. I reckon that the satellites have the output of a decent 12 inch speaker so something clever is going on inside both the sub and satellite. Whilst the sub and bass output is amazing and the satellites give a very bright feel to highs, the mids are slightly weaker but there is a very useful tone control knob to compensate for this. That said, it just means that the nano sounds slightly different to a 'normal' speaker cabinet. Not worse, just a bit different different. After a few minutes, you get to understand the sound and it is very pleasant to listen to - precise, without a hint of coarseness or distortion, even at the point where the large easy to see red limiter light comes on (at last, someone has put a nice big limiter light on the top of a sub where you can actually see it). It is one of many thoughtful features on the Nano.

Today, I played some vocal / acoustic music through the Nano and it sounded like a live performer in the room whereas the bass from UB40's Kingston Town shook the room. The Nano also handles live vocals pretty well so it is a bit of an all-rounder. In our house we have a simple test. Amongst other things, I always play Darude's Sandstorm through any new PA. It's my missuses favourite and a good test track. If she nods or smiles, then the heavy bass crashes at the beginning must sound dramatic and the electronic highs must rasp as they should. She is, after all, a listener and not an overly complicated DJ. If she looks nonplussed then it's trouble. Within the next day or so, I'll be answering questions about how much money have I wasted this time! With the Nano, she nodded and even took a passing interest in the tiny little PA system. A result!. This is exactly how my DB Technologies subs were consigned to history because that time, she shook her head. Thumbs down. She knows best.

I have been overly sceptical when it comes to ultra compact PA's and mini arrays and I now have to eat humble pie. The technical people have perfected them and these tiny lightweight systems finally seem to be able to compete with bigger, heavier traditional PA speakers. It's very hard to describe sound output in words but HK's claim of 130db in mono mode isn't far off the mark. That might not sound so spectacular because there are plenty of single 10-12 inch speakers that can achieve these SPL's. However, none of them can match the bass output of the nano and nor can you split the High frequency drivers in two and place them in a stereo layout to give a full array of sound across a venue. This is what sets the Nano apart from other systems. With all this new fangled technology, I'd estimate the tiny Nano's overall output at somewhere just below that of the current Lucas Performer or the older HK Lucas 1000. This is for less than half the cost, about half the weight and half the size. The beauty of this system is that you can run it as a single modular column array or you can split the satellites and use it as a stereo system (similar to a HK Lucas Impact etc) or you can connect up 2 units to make a twin sub / 2 tops arrangement. The latter would make a very capable PA system and the two units combined wouldn't occupy much more space than a standard 15 inch speaker. Finally, when it's not being gigged in connects up to the telly in my music room to make a kicking 2.1 sound system!

If you're after a very compact PA, give this serious consideration.

rotoitiman
11-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Hey guys, been looking for reviews and real world examples of the nano 600 so thanks again.
I mainly do Weddings every weekend and Im always looking for ways to get "Leaner" and perhaps more efficient.

I popped down to the local music store to listen to the Nano 600 and was fairly amazed so much sound could come out of a small box, the sub had me and the staff a little confused - it got lower and louder than it should. Shoot, I would have brought two of those 10" subs if they sold them separately.

Anyways, I rarely do weddings for more than 100 in small/medium sized rooms (New Zealand crowd numbers) - and even then the dance floor would usually be fairly small so Im thinking two of these would suffice.

The 5 year warranty is a huge bonus, unusual in my country for a longer warranty than 3 years and even then you have to pay extra to get it extended from 1 to 3. Portability, flexibility and a full sound top off what appears to be a fantastic product.

The problem I have at the moment though is its Small Footprint - Im hoping my clients see the benefits in having a system that can hardly be seen, and I intend to push that point to my clients - small, unobtrusive, tidy, non-threatening (lol) you get the picture.

Will my clients freak out when they see the Satellites? Perhaps Im thinking to hard about the whole thing? Its doing my head in at the moment lol

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
24-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Anyone else into this? I'm looking to downsize from 2x15 tops and a sub or 2.

I had been looking into getting 2 Maui 28s but this has really got my interest peaked.

Being primarily weddings that don't need a tonne of BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASS I could probably get away with one for the majority of what I do but 2 would be ideal as a back up / to stop symmetry OCD.

Plus they look ideal for rocking out some bicep curls if you get bored waiting for inept venue co-ordinators to get dinner finished in a timely manner :o

rotoitiman
24-09-2014, 09:48 PM
I brought 1 for ceremonies, background/canapes - anywhere I need a really small mobile set up.
After 3 gigs Im buying another and using it as my mains. I tested it against my main Wedding rig (2 12s and a Sub) and it wins, easily.

The bass is a little hard to believe, but it goes low - well low enough for a Wedding.
For a 10" sub, it is truly amazing.
2 coupled, and its pretty crazy.

For small gigs in a restaurant type area or small dance floor, I will only need one.
I hear ya regarding Symmetry, but with the sub(s) under the table, and two speakers the size of PC speakers, you can hardly see them.

Anyone else into this? I'm looking to downsize from 2x15 tops and a sub or 2.

I had been looking into getting 2 Maui 28s but this has really got my interest peaked.

Being primarily weddings that don't need a tonne of BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASS I could probably get away with one for the majority of what I do but 2 would be ideal as a back up / to stop symmetry OCD.

Plus they look ideal for rocking out some bicep curls if you get bored waiting for inept venue co-ordinators to get dinner finished in a timely manner :o

paulg
27-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Hi all,

Someone asked me for a picture of the pole mount adapter I made for the nano satellite. A picture is attached. Because the satellite is so light you could make an adapter from anything that slips over a speaker pole. Drill a hole in the top of anything like an empty plastic container, cut a suitable bolt to size, drill a hole in the bottom of the container, put the bolt through and glue it in place. Cover with speaker cloth or vinyl. It's getting like Blue Peter.

A question was asked about the Nano 600 vs Lucas Smart and how they compare. The best thing to do is to look at HK's website and check the specifications. The Nano appears to be considerably louder with a lower bass frequency and much lighter than the Smart.

It looks like other people are interested in the Nano's (Jim). The important thing to remember is that in most mini PA Arrays, you can't have the 2.1 set up as well as the columnar set up. This does add a bit of flexibility. It is a very capable system for smaller gigs.

There was also a concern raised about the speaker size and how clients would react to the tiny satellites. I've use mine quite a lot now - smaller weddings, village halls and no-one has complained. I've a trapped nerve in my spine at the moment so I can keep working in comfort because I'm not lugging big PA around. Venue owners are perfectly happy with a system that frees up space for more tables or a bigger dance floor! Here's a picture of the unit in use in columnar form (you get a better output form the satellites in this set up). The room was very busy later on but the single unit coped with plenty in reserve.

Personally, I think the set up picture above looks quite nice. Certainly better than it would with two 15" speakers on stands at either side so I can't see any reason to be feared about using these tiny systems.

The only downside is that the Nano relies on amps built into the sub unit. If this part fails, you're knackered. 5 year warranty or not, if it breaks at a gig you have a big problem. Usually though, HK stuff is quite reliable.

anviers
28-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Thanks Paul,

I just bought mine a week ago? I found excellent. Besides hair that is easy mounting what impressed me most is the volume that reached the unit.

I can not believe the amount of bass out of such a small device.

I made a mono column buying the lectern and two screws, one m20 and another 3.8.
I've been using for quite some time a system of two speakers Communnity MVP15HO (27kg each) And EMX512 Yamaha console. That sound was powerful but did not have the sound quality and bass contour that today I have with Lucas Nano 600.
:Censored: I'm a singer of jazz and Argentine tango and sometimes use tracks and 2 musicians. I think I'll buy another system Lucas Nano 600 for some larger rooms.
The sound coming out of the device is very detailed, with deep bass and treble sharp yet silky to increase the volume. The mids are very powerful too, I say surprisingly strong, but for my voice (i use a Blue encore 200 mic and TC Helicon Voicetone create pedal) and i found poor eq for voices, i had to use my mixer for eq my voice as well.
It was a good buy because now I have not much weight to lug up and I have gained in quality.

Thank you very much for your review, this really helped me decide.

PD: sorry for my english, i know is terrible.

Jonny Boy
30-09-2014, 02:13 PM
The only downside is that the Nano relies on amps built into the sub unit. If this part fails, you're knackered. 5 year warranty or not, if it breaks at a gig you have a big problem. Usually though, HK stuff is quite reliable.

...which is extactly what happened to me the weekend before last, running 2 nanos linked with stereo jack to jack.
Even with high vaulted ceiling, 2 running together sounded absolutely fantastic.... then and hour into guests arriving the 2 tops on 1 "side" just suddenly stopped working! The remaining daytime - background music & speeches plus a 30min live set from moi - had to run through 2bass + 2 tops (as opposed to 2 bass +4tops), with the bass EQ'd down.

It still coped well although even with EQ down it was a bit too thumpy for my ear. It *might* have just scraped through for disco the 120-150 rowdy guests...but the ceiling in the venue was quite high...
Thankfully I had time to swap the nanos with my good old Mackies for the evening. (Mrs Wife was able to bring them to the venue (15mins from home.))

The dealer has kindly given me a new amp/bass unit, which worked AOK with original tops (suggesting it's an amp issue), while HK investigate. If I'd had 1 nano by itself for that gig, I'd have been stuffed.... ;-/. Pretty sure it's not my fault! LOL

All this said, the replacement Nano worked fine by itself this Saturday, for background & live jazz/swing in a small marquee and then later outside said marquee, where is sounded very nice indeed and a full sound carried quiet a distance.
I'm using it again next Saturday for a compact 30-guest disco and will report further.

30-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Yeah I'm looking at getting 2 a. for symmetry OCD :) and b. I'd not be able to relax at a gig with a single unit that could go.

I think I read somewhere (maybe even in this thread) that you're meant to use speakons from the sub to the tops, is that right? I assume it's XLRs into the sub?

paulg
01-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Yeah I'm looking at getting 2 a. for symmetry OCD :) and b. I'd not be able to relax at a gig with a single unit that could go.

I think I read somewhere (maybe even in this thread) that you're meant to use speakons from the sub to the tops, is that right? I assume it's XLRs into the sub?

Don't know if this helps but because the sub is so tiny, it looks fairly balanced. Sorry about the over zealous use of smart phone camera effects. Yuk!

Yes, it's speakons for the sub to tops connections and XLR's into the sub.

Bit of a worry about reports of malfunctions - I've also seen a similar one on the web. These things are made in China rather than germany.

Anviers, don't worry about your English, it's fine.

01-10-2014, 04:11 PM

Don't know if this helps but because the sub is so tiny, it looks fairly balanced. Sorry about the over zealous use of smart phone camera effects. Yuk!

Yes, it's speakons for the sub to tops connections and XLR's into the sub.

Bit of a worry about reports of malfunctions - I've also seen a similar one on the web. These things are made in China rather than germany.

Anviers, don't worry about your English, it's fine.

Was the truck really needed. you could put that sub in your pocket :D

I don't worry too much about online reports - I've used alto true sonic active's for a good while with absolutely no problem but there's tonnes of stories online about them blowing (probably through user error)

That does look like a sweet little set up but I'll still be picking up 2 just so I've got a backup - the facebook and twitter age is not one to be ruining someone's wedding or special party because you're speaker has blown and you've nothing in reserve :zip:

paulg
01-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Was the truck really needed. you could put that sub in your pocket

That's just there waiting to pick up my pay packet.

Actually, it was an after conference corporate gig for Mercedes with vehicles and other things on display, although that particular vehicle is a Mitsibushi. Two Nano's will be pretty good. I'd recommend that you buy some tall speaker poles to screw into the subs. The sound distribution is very much downwards so you'll get better coverage with a taller pole.

As an aside, I was approached by the caterer at the gig who also runs a rather nice pub restaurant nearby. He was very interested in the small set up (pictured) and in the Nano's sound delivery. In his words, an ideal set up for discos in his upstairs function room which holds 50-60 people and for me, it's easily carryable up stairs. Win, win. Hopefully, that puts any size angst to bed.

01-10-2014, 07:44 PM
That's just there waiting to pick up my pay packet.

Actually, it was an after conference corporate gig for Mercedes with vehicles and other things on display, although that particular vehicle is a Mitsibushi. Two Nano's will be pretty good. I'd recommend that you buy some tall speaker poles to screw into the subs. The sound distribution is very much downwards so you'll get better coverage with a taller pole.

As an aside, I was approached by the caterer at the gig who also runs a rather nice pub restaurant nearby. He was very interested in the small set up (pictured) and in the Nano's sound delivery. In his words, an ideal set up for discos in his upstairs function room which holds 50-60 people and for me, it's easily carryable up stairs. Win, win. Hopefully, that puts any size angst to bed.

Speaking of the speaker poles (no pun intended)

Can I just used any pole with an M20 thread or do I need the ones that come as part of the HK stand pack?

paulg
01-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Any M20 is OK but as I say, the poles often don't extend as high as you might like. They're fine with a two or three foot tall speaker on top because the HF's are then quite high up. The satellites sit directly on top of the pole and are hence the HF is positioned quite low. The poles on my piccy are at their full extension and I reckon another 12-18 inches would put the satellites at a better height.

It's literally just struck me when thinking about mounting that the satellites could be fastened to the two upright lighting poles - perhaps a bit too low but what a compact set up would that be!!

Sapphire Disco
01-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Wonder what two subs and four tops would sound like ? It would certainly be good back up should one of the subs amps fail.

02-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Wonder what two subs and four tops would sound like ? It would certainly be good back up should one of the subs amps fail.

That's what I'll be running. Just got a few more bits and bobs to suss out for how I wanted to use these with my lighting rig then I'll be ordering (probably early next wee) :)

Sorry for being dense but the logistics of the thing still kind of elude me -

How thick is the pole that screws into the sub? I'm thinking if O clamping a couple of light (weight wise) fixtures onto those for smaller gigs.

Also are the tops able to slot onto any standard speaker stand or do you need the special bracket that Thomann sells?

02-10-2014, 08:19 AM
OK ignore that I can see you need the bracket which looks like it comes with it if you order the mono set.

K last question - exactly how does running it stereo vs mono change the sound? I get how stereo v mono works with a standard 2 speaker set up with one at either side of you but say I take 1 of these nanos and have it set up in stereo with the 2 tops separate, is there really going to be THAT noticeable a difference in sound given how close the speakers are to each other? What about the output, how would that be affected?

Jonny Boy
02-10-2014, 10:40 AM
K last question - exactly how does running it stereo vs mono change the sound? I get how stereo v mono works with a standard 2 speaker set up with one at either side of you but say I take 1 of these nanos and have it set up in stereo with the 2 tops separate, is there really going to be THAT noticeable a difference in sound given how close the speakers are to each other? What about the output, how would that be affected?

Apols if I've misunderstood your post....

according to the setup configs in the back of the manual:

For a true stereo using 2x nanos:
set nano 1 to "dual tops", (one above other), single speakon from L up to the pair, balance panned/set all the way to the R
set nano 2 the same, but with balance panned all the to R
link with 1/2 stereo jack. adjustments of any source running into 1 side (eg mixer) will be exactly the same on each side.

Not 100% sure if you can run dual mono - but if you can, obvs you'd set both nanos panned to the middle.

FOR DUAL STEREOs
Set both nano to separate tops setting, running speakons to each side for each nano (eg 4x speakons)
link with stereo cable, both nanos balance set to middle
as before, adjustments at source will change the levels for both nanos at the same time.

HK call this is "running stereo in 2 rooms" or something - i believe you can also do this to have a smaller Nano 300 in the 2nd room/opposite end of room.

02-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Apols if I've misunderstood your post....

according to the setup configs in the back of the manual:

For a true stereo using 2x nanos:
set nano 1 to "dual tops", (one above other), single speakon from L up to the pair, balance panned/set all the way to the R
set nano 2 the same, but with balance panned all the to R
link with 1/2 stereo jack. adjustments of any source running into 1 side (eg mixer) will be exactly the same on each side.

Not 100% sure if you can run dual mono - but if you can, obvs you'd set both nanos panned to the middle.

FOR DUAL STEREOs
Set both nano to separate tops setting, running speakons to each side for each nano (eg 4x speakons)
link with stereo cable, both nanos balance set to middle
as before, adjustments at source will change the levels for both nanos at the same time.

HK call this is "running stereo in 2 rooms" or something - i believe you can also do this to have a smaller Nano 300 in the 2nd room/opposite end of room.

Cheers.

I've had a look at the manual and it describes the dual stereo set up - 2 subs with the 4 tops separated and the mix panned hard left and right on either side.

I assume if I wanted to have that set up but stay mono I'd just keep the balance centred on both subs? What I'm going or (I think!) is a sub with the 2 satellites sitting on top of each other (mono mode?) on either side of my booth:

http://www.audiotechnology.com.au/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Products-LUCAS-NANO-600-HK-Audio-duo-283x575.jpg

07-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Ordered a pair :)

anviers
08-10-2014, 12:59 AM
I'm very happy with mine, for the price is unbetable, tell us how do you find the two ones Jim, good luck with your buying

16-10-2014, 01:35 PM
After a bit of internatoinal post faffing around, that's now the whole set up here.

Not got anything on gig wise until the 27th but my brother (aka mr 5 star discos) is getting papped out of his gaff tonight because the missus' pals are planning a hen do so he's going to bring his guitar round and we'll have a wee jam with it.

First impressions before firing it up - it really looks the part. I know £800 a side isn't cheap set up but it definitely looks a cut above.

There's next to no weight in these things. I do a bit of weight lifting and I reckon they probably come in at about 14 kilos. The spec sheet reckons they're heavier but I can bicep curl one no bother and hauling both of them in an arm each would be no problem.

Off for a bit of shopping but will get some tunes going and report back later.

16-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Will be interesting to see them in front of a crowd but in the house it is LOUD.

Apart from that it sounds very crisp and clean. Hsd ybe desk runni g at 60% and even at that I couldnt even get one unit to half power without it getting uncomfortably loud.

5 Star Discos
18-10-2014, 10:28 AM
The bass off those tiny subs was incredible as was the overall clarity and quality of sounds. We ran a few different set ups (dj set up, electric guitar through a processor, acoustic guitar and vocals) and it sounded great on all of them.

The one thing I still can't get over is the size or weight of the things. You could easily fit a sub and tops into the seat of a car if you needed to.

I am now looking to purchase some as I am trying to scale down the weight of my set up and I think these would do nicely.

And on a parting note, it took less than one minute per side to totally dismantle and pack up!

Cheers
Graham - DJ Glasgow, Edinburgh and Scotland
www.5stardiscos.com

30-10-2014, 12:39 PM
What are folk using to cart them about with? The slip cases that come with them aren't going to do much in the way of protection. Thomann do the HK roller bag for around 80 quid a go which is reasonable(ish) but I was just wondering if anyone had any other methods they used to transport and protect them?

Had them out twice now and I don't know how 1 on it's own sounds set up in stereo but two of them push A LOT of air. Did a medium large room for 120+ on Saturday and then a big high ceilinged school gym hall on Monday and they both were more than capable and nowhere near pushed hard. Excellent but of kit.

I've got a local gig over the weekend so I'm going to go down super early to do a bit of DMX programmign while everything is set up but I'm going to see how it sounds with the tops hooked into the sub's socket thing and have them hid underneath my Lite Conole. If it sounds any good (it probably won't) then that would be really cool to be able to gig with no speakers on show.

rotoitiman
30-10-2014, 07:22 PM
I been thinking the same thing, regarding transport. Would be fantastiic if they could somehow "stack" to save a trip. I may look to make a road case of some sort I think, so I can stack and use my fold out trolley to take around. At the moment Im getting of getting some thick covers made up.

The pricing for the mono stands are fairly expensive and same for the Trolley, pricing in New Zealand aint the best - so Im looking at some other options.

05-11-2014, 12:55 PM
I been thinking the same thing, regarding transport. Would be fantastiic if they could somehow "stack" to save a trip. I may look to make a road case of some sort I think, so I can stack and use my fold out trolley to take around. At the moment Im getting of getting some thick covers made up.

The pricing for the mono stands are fairly expensive and same for the Trolley, pricing in New Zealand aint the best - so Im looking at some other options.

I got a quote for bags from Hot Covers but it's not significantly cheaper than getting the HK rolle rbags from Thomann so I think I'll go for them but it might be worth checking out to see if there's any local bag makers which could help you out.

Jonny Boy
05-11-2014, 01:58 PM
I got a quote for bags from Hot Covers but it's not significantly cheaper than getting the HK rolle rbags from Thomann so I think I'll go for them but it might be worth checking out to see if there's any local bag makers which could help you out.

Thanks for ongoing reviews, Jim. I'm hoping to get a 2nd in time for Xmas gigs.

I got a rolling back for mine from Thomann. Fairly pleased - it could be a bit sturdier where the top of the handle attached to the top of the bag, and I'm sure something cheaper could be replicated elsewhere, but I'm pleased enough to budget for a 2nd to match the 2nd system @ Xmas.
There's room inside for the 2 pole mounts & iec, then 2 zipped pockets on the top for the neutrik cables. My whole setup is done in 2 trips now.

05-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Thanks for ongoing reviews, Jim. I'm hoping to get a 2nd in time for Xmas gigs.

I got a rolling back for mine from Thomann. Fairly pleased - it could be a bit sturdier where the top of the handle attached to the top of the bag, and I'm sure something cheaper could be replicated elsewhere, but I'm pleased enough to budget for a 2nd to match the 2nd system @ Xmas.
There's room inside for the 2 pole mounts & iec, then 2 zipped pockets on the top for the neutrik cables. My whole setup is done in 2 trips now.

Superb.

I'd probably keep loading mine onto my rock n roller anyway to keep the amount of trips down but it's good to know the bag is a decent option if I do need to wheel them around individually.

The sound from two of them is tremendous. I need to get myself a stereo 1/4 so I can properly hook them up the way the manual suggests you link them instead of having the left xlr from the desk going to one and the right xlr from the desk going to the other.

rotoitiman
04-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Used at a fair few gigs now - very happy.
Super easy to transport and havent had any strange looks etc regarding the size of the tops.

Ran into a problem on Saturday with a very drunk lady picking up the speaker stand and singing into the tops like a big mic.
The speaker stand snapped as she held it slightly vertical grrrrrr..

I need the mono stands to make the setup smaller and cleaner.

rotoitiman
04-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Superb.

I'd probably keep loading mine onto my rock n roller anyway to keep the amount of trips down but it's good to know the bag is a decent option if I do need to wheel them around individually.

The sound from two of them is tremendous. I need to get myself a stereo 1/4 so I can properly hook them up the way the manual suggests you link them instead of having the left xlr from the desk going to one and the right xlr from the desk going to the other.

I was thinking the same thing?
I wonder if it makes a big difference?

rotoitiman
12-01-2015, 02:10 AM
So, I have used my 2 Nano 600s for the last 2 months for approx 8 gigs and am fairly happy.

A few findings:

The tops dispersion is fairly narrow, but I knew this.
The mids seem to be weak and I have been using the EQ fairly hard to push the mids up.
The Subs kick really hard and over power the highs, especially if I have the subs coupled in front.
The stands from the "Stereo Pack" are small, light and portable, on a downside the stands are small, light and portable lol

I am fairly concious that the speakers are light and small and I am constantly looking for a safe area to put them in.
Just the other weekend some clients started grabbing my speakers and singing into it like a mic lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Aj6p-jWgMA&feature=youtu.be

rth_discos
14-02-2015, 09:30 AM
So, I have used my 2 Nano 600s for the last 2 months for approx 8 gigs and am fairly happy.

How many people would 2 x Nano 600s work for?

And if you ran just one of them, would that be suffice for 100 people in a smallish room?

Just seeing if I can get 1 to begin with, and the 2nd at a later date.

Tom
14-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Interesting little setup.

Sorry to get all techy (just in my nature) but when you look a the figures it gives peaks of 130spl which is only for the tops. Both sub and tops are 123db (sub), 124db (double top) and 119db (single top) respectivly.

Definitly a decent small discreet system for small weddings, background music speeches ect!!!

Been looking at small units like this myself.

yourdj
14-02-2015, 04:38 PM

And if you ran just one of them, would that be suffice for 100 people in a smallish room?

I would be interested to have a look at them and see if they could hold their own in a 100 strong crowd in a reasonable sized room?
I always like to have a system that double what i need and run it at half power, so I doubt it? They do look good though. :)

As per the other post, your best bet for practicality & cost is to get one larger system. The main benefit is deeper bass as you can't get that out of two smaller cabs. It will be OK, but you would be better off with two half decent full range top speaker sif you ask me (like the RCF 310a). This system on its own is a good performer on paper, but only probably only suitable for small parties (i.e. a small wedding in a small room with under (<50 guests) & aerobics instructors :p

Also you will have to set up/transport/maintain two subs & 4 tops vs one sub and two tops with a 12 inch system like the Dave. :)
If looks/compactness are your priority look at the Mauwi type systems. I have also seen a stunning one by HK audio. Now thats suitable for 100 people and is well light/compact. :)

ianforest
14-02-2015, 10:25 PM
Also check out the similarly styled RCF EVOX 8

rth_discos
15-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Also you will have to set up/transport/maintain two subs & 4 tops

My reason for having an interest in the HK Audio Lucas Nano 600 was that 1 x sub and 2 x tops are less than 20kg, and travel together in one small package, the size of a small suitcase. No other system seems to come close for weight.

Most subs are 30-40kg each alone!

I've arranged for a demo of the Nano 600 next weekend so I can hear for myself how amazing or rubbish it is - I'll feedback what I find!

Excalibur
15-02-2015, 09:27 AM
My reason for having an interest in the HK Audio Lucas Nano 600 was that 1 x sub and 2 x tops are less than 20kg, and travel together in one small package, the size of a small suitcase. No other system seems to come close for weight.

The two RCF EVOX which Ian indicated above aren't far from those figures, and all clip together for transport, I believe. Worth a look.

rotoitiman
15-02-2015, 08:08 PM

Well, I have been using these at least once every weekend, or twice if both venues are suitable, so I have a fair bit of experience with these units.

All my answers are based on Weddings.

1. How many people would 2 x Nano 600s work for?

Depending on the size of the room, I wouldnt use for more than 150 in a small/medium room.
The bass is fine, the lows and volume is fairly amazing and I have never heard another sub at 10"s deliver those levels.
The tops however are loud but have a narrow spread - so for small/medium rooms.

2. And if you ran just one of them, would that be suffice for 100 people in a smallish room?

The room would have to be small and the dance floor even smaller to be considered.
I wouldnt be comfortable using just one for dancing.

I love my Nanos - They look smart, super easy to lug around, great mixer section, and great bass response.

yourdj
16-02-2015, 12:12 AM

Most subs are 30-40kg each alone!

I've arranged for a demo of the Nano 600 next weekend so I can hear for myself how amazing or rubbish it is - I'll feedback what I find!

Let us know - worth it if its that good. :)
I just can't see them holding out for a function of up to 100 especially with dance music / more clubby weddings/teen events.
I suppose you can bring along a larger sub for the larger events and keep it behind the booth? Good luck ;)

The two RCF EVOX which Ian indicated above aren't far from those figures, and all clip together for transport, I believe. Worth a look.

I agree - they are so light and compact. I can pick the whole lot up in one arm with no effort at all.
Very nice speakers the EVOX and HK version. For the main gig that would be my choice.

The Nano's I recon would be good for small parties and ceremonies etc. but if technology has got that good then i will buy a set.
Hopefully RCF/Dave RSD will bring a set for the promobile conference. I will be very interested in testing it.

At the moment my RCF 310's and cheapo Dave 12 do the job wonderfully :)

rth_discos
22-02-2015, 08:56 AM

As promised, here's my feedback following a demonstration of the Nano 600/

I was pretty underwhelmed to be honest.

I had side by side tests of the Nano against a few other products.

For its size, the Nano is impressive, but I didn't feel confident enough that it could deliver the sound required for a gig. Great bit of kit for music during the ceremony/breakfast + speeches (as has been mentioned), but for a disco, I feel I would quickly be limited by it - and one slightly large room, and I'm stuffed!

I also tried the Kam Kompact 12. This was actually quite impressive. It's cheaper than the Nano 600, but much louder. I did find the EQ a bit harsh in the top end, especially as it got louder. You would still require 2 x sets to do a mobile disco.

I then tried the RCF Evox 8, as has been mentioned here a few times - and wow! Amazing sound - such clarity and presence to it, and gave a really impressive loud sound. A vast improvement in depth of the sound and loudness compared to the Nano 600 and Kam Kompact 12. Yes, it is more expensive, but my concern was that if I bought the Kam Kompact 12, I would be upgrading in 12 months time.

So I would advise for compact systems, the Kam Kompact 12 if you're on a budget, but for the best sound, the RCF Evox 8 won hands down for me, and long term I felt would be the better value option.

22-02-2015, 10:59 AM
I've been using mine a good few months now for everything from small rooms with 30 folk up to high vaulted ceilings with well over 150 and they've not missed a beat and have handled it no problem using 2 sides set up in the mono config with the tops sitting on top of each other.

In fact I've used one of them in a large school gym hall with massive ceilings for a school disco and it handled it no problem.

If you want melt your face off / have granny Mabel up whinging at you about the noise type volumes then they might not cut it but apart from that they're great IMO.

Spirits High
20-06-2015, 07:57 AM
Slightly off topic but still on (keep reading and you'll see what I mean) I purchased the Nano 300 version. Solely for use for ceremonies and background music type applications.

So far very impressed, it's really good so I can only imagine how good the 600 is! The only thing I'm struggling with is a speaker pole. The hole for the pole on the 300 is smaller than the 600 and not threaded. I'm struggling to find something that fits. I know HK do the pukka Nano pole with cables and bag etc but it has some not so great reviews and I don't like the look of it. Any ideas of what will fit? The recess in the 300 is approx 1" wide and 2 and a bit deep. I've scoured the usual suspects but no joy.

Excalibur
20-06-2015, 11:30 AM
The only thing I'm struggling with is a speaker pole. The hole for the pole on the 300 is smaller than the 600 and not threaded.

I know taking tools to a new piece of kit can be a daunting prospect, but is it possible to fit a standard threaded one? Under a tenner, and you could use an existing pole.

Spirits High
20-06-2015, 11:50 AM
I know taking tools to a new piece of kit can be a daunting prospect, but is it possible to fit a standard threaded one? Under a tenner, and you could use an existing pole.

I was thinking that. Looking at it it's 3 phillips screws so will investigate later!

Well, it comes off ok and rougly measures up to one of these so have ordered one and see how I get on. Also ordered the adaptors from Thomann making good use of my vouchers for review writing!

Will update all when they arrive.