PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed please

Barry
08-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Hi Guys newbie here was wondering if anybody knows if a Peavey 2600 amp would be a good choice for a disco/karaoke set up (research has indicated this may be a guitar amp but not sure) the other option I'm looking at is a Yamaha EMX 5000-20 power mixer, Realise I would also need a mixer if I went the peavey route but but at 2x 900watt it seems a bargain at £200.00 any advice appreciated

Excalibur
08-09-2014, 07:38 PM
The PV 2600 is a reasonably well thought of amp. Weighs a ton, and has a built in crossover if needed. I have one, and for some reason, the crossover board came loose, and did damage. Got it mended for a sensible figure, and it's a good enough piece of kit.

It would help to know what speakers you have, or intend to get, as that might make it a poor choice.

Re cost, well secondhand, they make anywhere between £150 to £250. There was a time when they never made less than £200, but they don't always hit that price now. Have a look on Ebay, and see what they're going for.

velocityroadshow
08-09-2014, 09:47 PM
I would have a look at the KAM amps. Been very impressed with mine and did see an add the other day suggesting they now have a 10year warranty.

mattydj50
09-09-2014, 01:08 PM
I used to have one, Weighed a ton and was fine. Swopped it for a Numark Dimension 3 which did the job too. Got two of those now, but would be prepared to part with one for the right poundage.

Shaun
09-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Hi Guys newbie here was wondering if anybody knows if a Peavey 2600 amp would be a good choice for a disco/karaoke set up?

I recently asked for advice on amps and got some good advice (which I eventually ignored and went a different route...lol. Still, good advice nonetheless :d) http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?41879-W-Audio-Amps

In the end I bought a Behringer EP4000 Europower. £247 quid from Thomann. http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ep4000_europower.htm
It's the first time I've ever bought or used a Behringer product, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and really happy with the purchase. It sounds crisp and clear, and very punchy for the price range.

Barry
10-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the input, Just a bit of background info, This is for a residency in a small pub current set up is Europower PMP3000 power mixer 600W per channel paired with a pair of Mackie c300z's sound quality is good for size of pub & DJ can read the crowd & has a good banter however current resident DJ is leaving and I know from when I used to DJ myself many moons ago & from past experience with fill in DJ's that I am going to struggle to find a good replacement.

I have had some stand ins who turn up with sound systems that practically make your ears bleed they sound so bad.
Others that cant read the room or have no connection with the audience.
I would rather have my own on site equipment as good or better than the current set up so I know at least the sound is good.

So guess what I'm asking is what equipment should I go for?
What should I expect to pay for a Good resident Disco/Karaoke DJ working a small pub regular Fri,Sat nights?

Would love to do it myself like in the old days but unfortunately that isn't an option.
Thanks guys.