PDA

View Full Version : Ibiza club 15" 3 way speakers and an Ekho RX800 Amplifier

DJ Max
27-11-2014, 08:19 PM
I have been offered a pair of Ibiza club 15" 3 way speakers and an Ekho RX800 Amplifier. I know these are on the cheap side of equipment but are they any good for home use and occasional family party in a hall?

Excalibur
27-11-2014, 11:04 PM
I'm not at all familiar with them, but they certainly wouldn't be at the top of my shopping list. Peavey or W Audio secondhand would offer greater performance and reliability, I feel. It's easy for me to sit here and tell you what to do, so if you end up with the Ekhos, never ever push the faders up out of the green, never let the clip lights on the amp so much as flicker, and you may get reasonable life out of them.

If they're not loud enough, don't turn it up past these levels, or you may cause damage. Sorry to be so downbeat.

DJ Max
28-11-2014, 02:51 PM
You're not downbeat at all. I have asked the question on here for advice and you gave me an honest answer! If I needed them for frequent use I would invest in something new and better but I only need them more for home use and maybe family parties twice a year.

Excalibur
28-11-2014, 03:12 PM
You're not downbeat at all. I have asked the question on here for advice and you gave me an honest answer! If I needed them for frequent use I would invest in something new and better but I only need them more for home use and maybe family parties twice a year.

In that case, keep everything green, don't flash the clip lights, and they should do what you want. Good luck.

DJ Max
28-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Have you ever used any of the budget ranges at all or would you even consider a budget setup as backup? Maybe QTX, Alto or sounlab?? Thanks for your help.

DJ Jules
28-11-2014, 03:30 PM
I used a set of QTX speakers back in Sept/Oct for a couple of functions and they did the job, but boy did I miss my RCF's. The set I used were supposedly bi-amped and rated at 350w a side, but I had the back off them to repair the input XLR connector and they had a single amp with a passive crossover and I reckon they were about 150w RMS a side. They were loud enough, but I had to do some serious EQ tweaking to make them sound passable.

I've used a small pair of 8" W-audio active speakers (PSR8a) for a few years and driven at appropriate levels they sound alright for what they are and have taken a fair bit of stick and have kept on going. In the past I've used the budget end of the JBL range (JRX115's) and Prosound and with a bit of EQ work both have produced passable results with no reliability issues. As others have already said, Peavey is also worth a look. I would personally steer clear of Soundlab, Ekco and Ibiza as I've seen what's inside them, and it's the cheapest of the cheap.

I've heard Alto's in operation and they're not half bad. I've heard bad stories about reliability though. Slightly above budget range, but I've also recently heard the EV range in use and they sound pretty amazing for about £280 a side, but the cabs are quite heavy.

Julian

Benny Smyth
28-11-2014, 03:34 PM
These might be good for you. (http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?42122-FOR-SALE-W-Audio-PSR-15a)

Wink wink, nudge nudge.

;)

DJ Max
28-11-2014, 04:50 PM
I used a set of QTX speakers back in Sept/Oct for a couple of functions and they did the job, but boy did I miss my RCF's. The set I used were supposedly bi-amped and rated at 350w a side, but I had the back off them to repair the input XLR connector and they had a single amp with a passive crossover and I reckon they were about 150w RMS a side. They were loud enough, but I had to do some serious EQ tweaking to make them sound passable.

I've used a small pair of 8" W-audio active speakers (PSR8a) for a few years and driven at appropriate levels they sound alright for what they are and have taken a fair bit of stick and have kept on going. In the past I've used the budget end of the JBL range (JRX115's) and Prosound and with a bit of EQ work both have produced passable results with no reliability issues. As others have already said, Peavey is also worth a look. I would personally steer clear of Soundlab, Ekco and Ibiza as I've seen what's inside them, and it's the cheapest of the cheap.

I've heard Alto's in operation and they're not half bad. I've heard bad stories about reliability though. Slightly above budget range, but I've also recently heard the EV range in use and they sound pretty amazing for about £280 a side, but the cabs are quite heavy.

Julian

Thanks for your advice. 8" W-audio active, surley that you needed a Sub with those???!!

DJ Max
28-11-2014, 04:57 PM
These might be good for you. (http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?42122-FOR-SALE-W-Audio-PSR-15a)

Wink wink, nudge nudge.

;)

I wish that i had £200 to spare as i would buy them. Do they only have XLR balanced inputs?

Benny Smyth
28-11-2014, 05:07 PM
I wish that i had £200 to spare as i would buy them. Do they only have XLR inputs?

They also have 2x 1/4 inch jack mic inputs.

Make me an offer. I'm in a good mood, so make the most of it. ;)

DJ Max
28-11-2014, 05:55 PM
They also have 2x 1/4 inch jack mic inputs.

Make me an offer. I'm in a good mood, so make the most of it. ;)

£1.99..?? it is black friday after all...!! (just joking!)
I'll have a think about it as it's way over my budget and wrong time of the year too :(

Excalibur
28-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Have you ever used any of the budget ranges at all or would you even consider a budget setup as backup? Maybe QTX, Alto or sounlab?? Thanks for your help.

Tee hee. For a while, I used a pair of QTX actives as frontline kit at smaller gigs. They're mainly backup now, but they'll be in action Christmas Eve and Boxing Day, along with my Alto TS 15 sub, which is thudding away next to me, as I type.

As long as you observe their limits, they're perfectly acceptable cabs. They won't pin the punters to the back wall with the sound pressure, but they'll make a passably nice noise at a reasonable level.

DJ Jules
29-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Thanks for your advice. 8" W-audio active, surley that you needed a Sub with those???!!

Depends what you use them for.... in my case they've been used for background music, PA for speeches and parties in small venues (like pub function rooms) and house parties. I've used them outdoors at a public event with a sub and they coped amazingly well for their size!

Julian

DJ Max
05-12-2014, 11:34 AM
I have taken the risk and bought this amp and speakers mainly because I only paid £52 for them!! For the money they are great. The only problem is that they are a little low on bass (maybe it’s because I’m used of good sound systems in night clubs). I was looking for an active sub to go with them and seen an 18 inch active QTX (QT18SA) which is in my budget. The only problem I have is that I’m not sure on how the best way to connect this as only comes with 1 in and 1 out link XLR’s. My mixer has 2 sets of phono(rca) outputs and one set of XLR out put. I am using one of the phono sets to the amp already. If I buy this Sub can I just connect to either left or right channel XLR on my mixer? Is bass normally stereo? Any ideas would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

DJ Max
06-12-2014, 09:05 AM
I have taken the risk and bought this amp and speakers mainly because I only paid £52 for them!! For the money they are great. The only problem is that they are a little low on bass (maybe it’s because I’m used of good sound systems in night clubs). I was looking for an active sub to go with them and seen an 18 inch active QTX (QT18SA) which is in my budget. The only problem I have is that I’m not sure on how the best way to connect this as only comes with 1 in and 1 out link XLR’s. My mixer has 2 sets of phono(rca) outputs and one set of XLR out put. I am using one of the phono sets to the amp already. If I buy this Sub can I just connect to either left or right channel XLR on my mixer? Is bass normally stereo? Any ideas would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

I have now asked the question here: http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?42206-Help-on-connecting-an-active-subwoofer-QTX-sound-QT18SA

ppentertainments
06-12-2014, 06:02 PM

I use a pair of these with a sub for probably 80% of gigs. I do mainly small rooms, but they cope well.

Have HK, RCF and Mackie sitting in the garage but these fit the bill most of the time.

DJ Max
06-12-2014, 08:56 PM
I use a pair of these with a sub for probably 80% of gigs. I do mainly small rooms, but they cope well.

Have HK, RCF and Mackie sitting in the garage but these fit the bill most of the time.

Which Sub do you use? size, active or passive, make?