PDA

View Full Version : Cost of made to measure cables

DJay
04-11-2006, 12:22 PM
I cannot beleive that 4 cables (made to measure) will cost me £40!!

I am buying the following (which willl be ready in an hour):

2 x 0.5m XLR (male to female)
2 x 1m XLR (male to female)

They claim that these speakers will not casue any crackle/hiss. They also point out that ready made ones are available for a lower cost, but the custome made ones are much better quality.

Is this true or cobblers?

BeerFunk
04-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Don't believe that for a second! They are giving you spin, you can get good quality XLR cables for around £5 each.

DJay
04-11-2006, 12:35 PM
"we can sell you ready made cables, but if they develope a hiss or start to crackle, that's what you paid for". That is what he said!

As I need the cables pretty urgently, I will buy te made to measures (as I have ordered them and am a person of my word, so will collect them). From now on, I am not going back there! Will stick to Decks.co.uk for all my kit.

Paul James Promotions
04-11-2006, 01:27 PM
£10 per cable isn't bad, especially if they are using Neutrik XLRs. You are paying around £5 for the components, and £5 for the time to make them up, which is actually very cheap.

Corabar Entertainment
04-11-2006, 01:46 PM
I agree with Jamie - providing they really are using the top grade stuff (ie Neutrix connectors) then I don't think it's a bad price at all!

DJay
04-11-2006, 03:48 PM
I feel better now!! They are all Neutrix connectors and the cable is "non-tangle" Proel.

A1DL
04-11-2006, 03:51 PM
fully in agreement with Jamie & Angela, however your best bet is to learn to solder and make your own.

Always use Neutrik connectors and decent cable such as Vandamme.

The cheaper prepacked cables you see on ebay and in disco shops are a false economy, they typically have poor quality connectors that come apart and noisy cable. OK for the bedroom but not to sustain the rigours of the road.

Paul James Promotions
04-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Neutrik or Neutrix?

spin mobile disco
04-11-2006, 04:42 PM
I make my own cables and have a selction of various connectors lying around my workshop. If you need some cables in a hurry let me know I can always have em made and posted in an hour if your desperate. I use neutrik cons on most of mine when I can get hold of em. And anti kink high flex cable. (not sure of make on that just bought a reel of it from R.S electronics.)
Not doing it to make any money so ill make em at cost + any postage costs if anyone needs some custom cables. I make xlr, speakon, 6.3 mm connector cables, and wiring looms for 'kettle type cables' IEC's. And can probably make any others needs exept bulgin 8 core because I havent been able to find a local supplier.

DJay
04-11-2006, 05:28 PM
I do now need another cable. I'll have a stab at explaining what I need, not sure if I can buy this anywhere.

I need an extention socket. Ideally for 2 plugs. I will take the plastic bit where the plugs go and velcro it down inside my mixer/cd case. This plastic bit must have a male or femail kettle connector. I will then use a male or femail pc cable to active the extension whenever I need to use it. Is such a kit/extension available?

spin mobile disco
04-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Easy enough to make, not sure if one is available on the market though.

Corabar Steve
05-11-2006, 05:59 AM
Neutrik or Neutrix?

Is one the plural?? :D

spin mobile disco
07-11-2006, 11:35 AM
No i think they are different manafactures.