PDA

View Full Version : No idea how to set my kit up!

DJay
04-11-2006, 05:24 PM
OK so I got my entire kit complete this week! But you know how a guy feels when he has bought lots of toys and cannot get them to work - they normally keep trying until either it breaks or after 6 hours they get it to work!! Well I'm giving up before things go wrong! :bang:

I have the Behringer CX3400 crossover, 2 Behringer EP2500 amps and obviosly the cd & mixer.

This is how I have connected it together: http://jay.fireflyinternet.co.uk/kit2.GIF

However I'm finding that if I turn the gain up on the amp (1 channel at a time) can hear a different type of sound from each speaker. For example, if I turn up channel 1 on the Sub amp, I get a nice punchy bass sound. Turn up channel 2 though and it's a lot less punchy. Simularly with the tops, 1 channel is very trebbly and the other is not. :confused:

I would be EXTREMLY overcome with joy on this evening of atomic blasts in the sky if someone could help me resolve this!!

spin mobile disco
04-11-2006, 09:14 PM
OK things to check, is your mixer on stereo mode first? , then check the graphic equiliser is set on mixer. Check there isnt a bass cut or treble cut on the amps (high pass and low pass filter).

Might be worth checking the speakers are ok before the crossover is added in. just to eliminate the possability of a fault.
also on the back of the crossover are 23 switches they appear to activate some form of internal switch try checking what these switches do in the manual. I think they may switch the low pass filters on. This would make 1 channel seem less bass'y than the other.

DJay
05-11-2006, 08:54 AM
There is no mono/sterio switch on my mixer. However the Balance works when I pan the dial left and right.

Every dip switch on my amps is still the way they where when I bought the amps.

Yip, the speakers work fine without the crossover - they are fantastic!

Not sure where you see 23 switchs? I have 5:

Xover Freq (2 swithes)
Mode (2 switches)
LF Sum

Is it safe to turn the volume down on all devices, then try a new switch configuration and bring the volume back up again? Or do I need to turn everything off?

Finally, does anyone have a Behringer CX3400 set up?

TonyB
05-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Initial settings

On the back of the crossover, the mode button and LF sum buttons should not be depressed.

On the front, controls numbered as per the manual fig 2.3:

1) db input set at 12 O'clock - this controls the overall input level (like an overall volume control)

These controls are for the left channel

2) Low cut 25hz depressed
3) Xover frequency set to 120hz
5) mSec delay set to 0
6) db gain set to 0 (this controls the volume of the top speakers)
7) & 8) buttons not depressed
12) db gain set to 0 (this controls the volume to the subs)
13) & 14) buttons not depressed

15) CD horn not depressed

The next set of controls are a mirror of the above but control the right channel so should be at the same settings as above if you want the same sound from both sides.

The db gains can be adjusted while the crossover is switched on to balance the sound between tops and subs.

Paul James Promotions
05-11-2006, 11:39 AM
On the back of the crossover LF sum button should not be depressed.

Not essential, but always best to run bass as mono. Will give a much tighter sound.

You can achieve this by setting 'LF Sum' to ON, then setting the amplifier that is running your subs to Parallel mode. This will mean that the signal cable running from the LF output two (on crossover) to Input two (on bass amp) will not be needed.

Apart from that (which is only a preference rather than a must), Tony is spot on with the settings you need.

Jamie

DJay
05-11-2006, 11:54 AM
OK... am off to the room with these devices to test the above....

DJay
05-11-2006, 01:17 PM
OK, so I tried your suggestions and it is much better now - but still needs tweaking for which I need help.

I set the dials to the following:

Dial 1 = Input - 12 o'clock
Dial 2 = Xover Freq - 120
Dial 3 = Xover Freq - 440, 7 o'clock (not touched this dial, it is all the way to the left)
Dial 4 = Delay = 0 (not touched this dial, it is all the way to the left)
Dial 5 = Gain - -2, 11 o'clock
Dial 6 = Gain - -6, 7 o'clock
Dial 7 = Gain - -2

On the font of the CX3400, the only buttons I have pressed are:
1. Both of the Low Cut buttons
2. The Limiter Button (with dial set to +9, 12 o'clock)

On the rear I have only depressed 1 button - the first Mode button to make the setting 2-way-stereo. Without this pressed, I do not seem to get any mid on the tops, it just becomes all trebble.

I also took your advice and disconnected one of the cables going to the amp with the subs. So now I have 1 cable from the Xover to the sub Ep2500. I have set that EP2500 to run in Parallel mode.

With the above settings, and the mixer on Stereo, as well as the eq's on the mixer set to 12 o'clock, I find the following issues:

1. The pass sounds a lot less tight than without the x over
2. The bass is lacking. Without the Xover the bass is amazing and chest thumping
3. The top speakers sounds crystal clear and there is no punch in them at all. Without the x over they have some punch
4. The Mid output dial is not lit

I hope all this makes sense and I apprecaite your help...

Paul James Promotions
05-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Try increasing the low output dial to give more bass output. Also try reducing the crossover frequency to around 100hz.

Also, make sure the limiter is set to OFF until you have finished with the other settings.

Don't expect to get as much bass from your system, but you will benefit from more headroom and less disortion.

What speakers are you using?

DJay
05-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Hi Jamie,

I am using Wharfedale LX Pro 15s (tops and subs).

I will try your suggestion tomorrow.

TonyB
05-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Not essential, but always best to run bass as mono. Will give a much tighter sound.

You can achieve this by setting 'LF Sum' to ON, then setting the amplifier that is running your subs to Parallel mode. This will mean that the signal cable running from the LF output two (on crossover) to Input two (on bass amp) will not be needed.

Apart from that (which is only a preference rather than a must), Tony is spot on with the settings you need.

Jamie

Agree mono is the best way to run subs but was trying not to complicate matters with the way the amps are connected at the moment.

Creature
05-11-2006, 08:44 PM
maybe be quicker if soemone close to him goes and earns a pint or 2 :):):):)

DJay
05-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Can anyone assist by paying me a visit? I promise a pint or even a cuppa!

OK so I switched the LF Sum on (to summed mode) and I tried to move the Xover from 120 towards the 60 and it started sounding a little tighter. But I have to say that it still does not sound as amazing as when I ran all 4 speakers of 1 amp (without the CX3400 crossover).

There are two buttons on the rear of the CX3400 with Xover Freq X1/X10. Not sure weather it should be pressed in for x10 or left out for X1.

I have to say that so far I am not happy with the bass via the CX3400. The tops and mids sound very clear though.

Paul James Promotions
05-11-2006, 09:30 PM
There are two buttons on the rear of the CX3400 with Xover Freq X1/X10. Not sure weather it should be pressed in for x10 or left out for X1.

Should be set to X1.

For more bass, simply increase the ratio of bass to mid / hi using the gain dials on the crossover.

DJay
06-11-2006, 06:48 PM
OK, so it's getting better. I now have the connections as per the diagram in the book. But every diagram shows the use of only 1 cable from my mixer to the Xover. Surely that cannot be great?