PDA

View Full Version : New speaker (mackie's)

spin mobile disco
05-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Ok i have been looking at the 450 class of mackie speakers as a replacement for my current system. What I am trying to find out is are they as loud as peavey 15st pro's. I know they are self powered and are very effiecient but I was trying to find out how much loude / quiter they are compared to the st pros.
Any one had a pair of them can you help?

Dragonfly
05-11-2006, 05:23 PM
hi

i used to run 500 rx peaveys i think they were 15" went over to mackies earlier this year ....... no comparison the mackies knock spots off the peaveys much louder if you ask me and a clearer crisper sound think the peaveys run at about 98db and the mackies 123db ish havent checked these so please dont quote me on that but if you look up tech spec im sure they will tell you ..... i can highly recommend the mackies tho if that helps.

Silver
05-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Go get some Cerwin Vegas, had them for two years and boy do they ROCK! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sign/sign0021.gif http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0044.gif

Alex - Cream Ents
05-11-2006, 08:54 PM
I use the Mackies (mainly 450s) also have some of the 1530's and the ones in between. Never had any issues with the 450s at all, reliable, good sound and easy to transport. Apparently they are now made in china or somewhere as my friend bought some on my reccomendation and they don't seem to sound the same which is odd so I don't know if they've changed some of the components.

Still they knock the spots off most other powered systems of that size. The 1501 sub is ideal for those slightly bigger gigs, we have 2 but 1 would be ample for most moderate sized events. I have heard some of the powered EV's recently and they seemed very good also - can't comment on reliability though, although EV usually are pretty **** good.

CRAZY K
06-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Go get some Cerwin Vegas, had them for two years and boy do they ROCK! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sign/sign0021.gif http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0044.gif

I worked on some of these last year---look like they were hewn out of rock
and weighed a ton!

I have read a lot of complaints about their weight for mobile work---is it true?

CRAZY K
My back isnt as good as it used to be:)

groovy-nights
06-11-2006, 12:13 PM
just order my mackies £790 a pair

ian8limelight
06-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Mackie 450's - excellent speaker, brillant sound quality, very reliable - and produce a slightly better quality sound than Peavey's (which I used to own).

Dragonfly
06-11-2006, 04:21 PM
just order my mackies £790 a pair

GOOD CHOICE.

CRAZY K
06-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Mackie 450's - excellent speaker, brillant sound quality, very reliable - and produce a slightly better quality sound than Peavey's (which I used to own).

Ian, whats the bass end like without using the sub units?

I use Peaveys at present with Subs but looking for something lighter and smaller in the next year or so.

Talking to a band Friday who said they worked with a DJ recently who had Mackie tops and Subs which covered a very large Hall.

Cheers

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
06-11-2006, 05:03 PM
crazy bass end is very good on the mackies nice and punchy for a 10" driver

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-11-2006, 05:05 PM

12", Dave.:)

ian8limelight
06-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Ian, whats the bass end like without using the sub units?

I use Peaveys at present with Subs but looking for something lighter and smaller in the next year or so.

Talking to a band Friday who said they worked with a DJ recently who had Mackie tops and Subs which covered a very large Hall.

Cheers

CRAZY K

Alan,

I've got a pair of 450's and a 1500 Sub (which I've hardly used). I did a function the other week in a room which takes 200 people (without the Sub) and the sound quality was ideal.

CRAZY K
07-11-2006, 08:31 AM

10"---- crikey thats very small-- I thought they were 12"????

I wouldnt expect much bass from a 10" speaker:eek:

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
07-11-2006, 09:18 AM

CRAZY K

crazy im a numpty they are 12" :bang:

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-11-2006, 10:55 AM

CRAZY K

12", Dave.:)

Am I being ignored again?:(

spin mobile disco
07-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Ok simple comparison, do these speakers being a 12" vs for example peavey pro 15" with obviously a 15" driver.
1. Is the bass as good ? (loud, quality call it what you will)
2. Is the top end as loud and defined?
3. What size venue would you use them in?
4. And how many people up to would you use them with? (and yes I know this can be venue dependant but assume indoors with a venue suitable for said amount of people.

Thanks for the response so far guys its much appreciated. Som of you may know I recently upgraded my speaker system to peavey pro's along with 2 new amps to run them (1 being the spare that is). I am basically trying to find out if it may be worth changing direction to these mackies in a bid to create more room for other lighting etc in my car, and also cutting out 2 amps worth of weight would probably help a lot.
However being as the makies are so expensive I thought a few opinions could help me out on this decision.

Also on another subject im looking for a cheap laser for christmas bookings must be 30mw or above and a cheap as chips, not to bothered about scuffs etc. Just found a guy selling 100mw green lasers on ebay for £75 each + £30 shipping but I know a lot of you have bought some and dont use them so if you wanna offload it let me know.

And again thanks for help so far people.

Dragonfly
07-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Am I being ignored again?:(

did someone say something lol :D

Dragonfly
07-11-2006, 12:16 PM
http://www.ebdj.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?product_id=12359

might help. if you look on ebay make sure the laser you buy is legal and complies with british h & s regs.

groovy-nights
07-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Spin
I got my mackies today.Running them of a allen & heath Xone62.
Will be giving them a run on saturday night for the 1st time.Used to have 4 kam ims15 350watts each and run 2 dimission 3 amps.I have not gone for the 1501 bassbin just hope i will not need it.

spin mobile disco
07-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Ok let me know how they do.

spin mobile disco
09-11-2006, 05:28 PM
And just to let you know my new pure light pl101 arrived today and had been tested . Not bad at all, cant wait to test it in a large venue. So thanks for the link there Dragonfly. Ill let you know how it looks with the rest of my lighting, if its any good ill buy another as they are so light to carry.

groovy-nights
12-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Spin
Tryed the mackies out last night.Great sound mixer was hitting -15 no peak lights.Using them to night so will report back.
I running 2 srm 450 with a allen & heath xone62

spin mobile disco
12-11-2006, 02:50 PM
ok thanks let me know on the croud size as well for comparison sake.