PDA

View Full Version : Best way to set up 5.1 speaker system

Corabar_Nick
11-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Ok, i'm having a little debate with my mate about the best way to set up a 5.1 surround speaker system.

my way will be a sub which really be placed anywhere, the central speaker directly infront of viewer, left and right either side of tv screen and left and right surround (which we are debating most about) level or JUST behind the horizontal ear level of viewer, i think this because you loose alot of frequency and important sound if the surround speakers are actually behind the viewer.

I'm interested in hearing your views and advice on this, also i've started encoding AC3 Files for dvd releases so if i'm wrong your gonna get a bad quality sounding dvd.

Oh yea look for "Evil Aliens" out soon i loved it, and if you like evil dead....say no more... get it.

Nick:beer1:

Dragonfly
11-11-2006, 12:07 AM
its 1.05am .... you need to drink more beer!!!! thats my opinion.:beer1: :beer1:

Corabar Entertainment
11-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Is this how you're spending your weekend off, Nick! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Ok, i'm having a little debate with my mate about the best way to set up a 5.1 surround speaker system.

my way will be a sub which really be placed anywhere, the central speaker directly infront of viewer, left and right either side of tv screen and left and right surround (which we are debating most about) level or JUST behind the horizontal ear level of viewer, i think this because you loose alot of frequency and important sound if the surround speakers are actually behind the viewer.

This is the way I have mine set up - what other way is there?

Corabar_Nick
11-11-2006, 01:40 AM
He He. You'll be supprised how complex mixing a documentary or program down to surround or 5.1 etc. is... Dont ask me why i started a post on this coz i havent got a clue.
I know it would seem i am spending my day off debating boring subjects with freinds but i asure you its been a good night and dont remember writing this thread until i just checked my emails a little while ago.... mmmm

time for more :beer1: or bed . . .

Oh i've got to share this, i'm currently working on xfactor...personally cant stand it . . . yesterday the producer bought me a beer and offered me tickets for the next show...i laughed but if any 1 wants, tell me and i will see what can do god help you. Had to get that off me chest.

Corabar_Nick
11-11-2006, 01:42 AM
This is the way I have mine set up - what other way is there?

With 5.1 there are a few ways people seemk to think is best. for instance:

Mid
left right

sub :rolleyes:

left surr right surr

very bad way

Corabar_Nick
11-11-2006, 01:43 AM
ok i drew a diagram there but it didn't come out as i planned......i give up now :(

Corabar Entertainment
11-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Ah.... all makes a little more sense now.

At this point I would explain to everyone else on here that Nick works for a television production company on the sound side of things - and it would appear that they are discussing the best way to produce the sound to get the most out of your surround system.

Go have another :beer1: or :beer1: :beer1: Nick! :D :D

Corabar Steve
11-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Oh i've got to share this, i'm currently working on xfactor...personally cant stand it . . . yesterday the producer bought me a beer and offered me tickets for the next show...i laughed but if any 1 wants, tell me and i will see what can do god help you. Had to get that off me chest.

Just as long as you're not singing on it, I'll be happy :D

Corabar_Nick
11-11-2006, 02:00 AM
oh i could't, they don't take real talent . . . :)