PDA

View Full Version : Powered speakers-What are yours?

scoopd
31-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Looking at getting something new. Ideally powered speakers that only require a sub for the larger venue. So.........;

What make are your powered speakers and why do you love them?

Excalibur
31-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Well the ones which see most use are Proel V15A, simply because they manage quite happily without a sub, they're relatively light, and have handles on the top. Also, they're pretty loud.

If I'm using subs, then it's usually 12" LD Stingers.

musicology
31-05-2016, 05:48 PM
I use the Yamaha DXR 12's. Nice and light and fabulous sounding. Also very flexible with the multiple inputs/mini-mixer on the back.
http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/speakers/dxr/dxr12/?mode=model

Benny Smyth
31-05-2016, 06:07 PM
A pair of RCF 712a for my tops. Clear, loud, pretty light and just fantastic overall.

For subs, it's a pair of RCF 905a.

ppentertainments
31-05-2016, 06:33 PM
My main speakers are RCF Evox 8 - benefit is you carry a top and bass bin in each hand as the combination weighs similar to most powered tops and the top speaker stores in the bass bin.

Admittedly I personally think a pair of decent tops and bins would blow these out the water but they are so practical it saves a lot of time and carrying, and have never been in a situation where I needed more - although I do mainly small/medium venues. When I used a normal bin/top combination most the time I left the bins in the van (admittedly out of pure laziness largely :zip: )

scoopd
31-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Thanks so far guys

soundscapes
31-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Alto ts215's. Dont think you will beat them as far as bang for buck goes, really punchy plenty of throw and even drew compliments from some pro singers at the weekend

DJColsie
31-05-2016, 09:08 PM
RCF HD12a tops. Quality sound, light (only 17kg), bass down to 45hz and 130 SPL.

If needed, one or two RCF 902 subs, only 27kg and 129 SPL.

CRAZY K
31-05-2016, 09:31 PM
Looking at getting something new. Ideally powered speakers that only require a sub for the larger venue. So.........;

What make are your powered speakers and why do you love them?

Larger Venue--that might need some clarification :D:D:D

Town Hall with 50 foot ceiling maybe-did one of those in January-if you get my drift.

I don't personally use powered--might be buying the highly recommended Yamaha sub though soon.

My son has small Altos and I think they sound pretty good--although his colleague thinks his FBT are much better and are the dogs .............

Really it's a cost exercise, YAMAHA, EV RCF and BOSE are also RESPECTED NAMES AT HIGHER COST.

As the ORACLE in Yorkshire failed to point out his favourite expression--here it is--

LISTEN BEFORE YOU BUY:D

Imagine
31-05-2016, 09:39 PM
If I'm not using subs then my pair of mighty DXR15's will cope with most venues without even breaking sweat (including a couple of open air gigs last year). Put 'emon the floor if on a stage and there's no need to even consider subs.

If using subs (and indeed my weapons of choice), then the combo of DSR112's and DXR8's have to be heard to be believed. I still can't believe such a tiny cone can produce such power, even after using them for the past 6 months.

Excalibur
01-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Alto ts215's. Dont think you will beat them as far as bang for buck goes, really punchy plenty of throw and even drew compliments from some pro singers at the weekend
Interesting. On paper they're very impressive. I'd like to compare them to my Proels, as my Alto TS210s are very unimpressive. That story is told elsewhere in here.

As the ORACLE in Yorkshire failed to point out his favourite expression--here it is--

LISTEN BEFORE YOU BUY:D
Thank you Alan. As the OP asked what we use, not what we recommend I overlooked that point. :o:o

If I'm not using subs then my pair of mighty DXR15's will cope with most venues without even breaking sweat.
And to trot out another of my oft repeated bits of advice, if I were forced to only use two boxes at every gig, they would have 15" drivers. ( And preferably be wooden, but that's becoming less vital nowadays ).

If using subs (and indeed my weapons of choice), then the combo of DSR112's and DXR8's have to be heard to be believed. I still can't believe such a tiny cone can produce such power, even after using them for the past 6 months.
And if I weren't limited to two boxes, there's a strong argument for small subs and tops. I had a W Audio rig with 10" drivers which defied belief. If I'd had some lightweight amps and a can of paint, I might still be using them.

On a related note, if you're not playing Wembley Stadium sized venues, the new compact rigs fare well. Maui, Evox, Vertus etc.

It's worth deciding what most of your gigs require, and tailoring the rig to those. If you had a residency with a first floor function room and no lift, twin 18" subs are unlikely to be a good idea. :)

Benny Smyth
01-06-2016, 08:36 AM
If you had a residency with a first floor function room and no lift, twin 18" subs are unlikely to be a good idea. :)

But think of the exercise!

scoopd
01-06-2016, 08:37 AM
Interesting. On paper they're very impressive. I'd like to compare them to my Proels, as my Alto TS210s are very unimpressive. That story is told elsewhere in here.

Thank you Alan. As the OP asked what we use, not what we recommend I overlooked that point. :o:o

And to trot out another of my oft repeated bits of advice, if I were forced to only use two boxes at every gig, they would have 15" drivers. ( And preferably be wooden, but that's becoming less vital nowadays ).

And if I weren't limited to two boxes, there's a strong argument for small subs and tops. I had a W Audio rig with 10" drivers which defied belief. If I'd had some lightweight amps and a can of paint, I might still be using them.

On a related note, if you're not playing Wembley Stadium sized venues, the new compact rigs fare well. Maui, Evox, Vertus etc.

It's worth deciding what most of your gigs require, and tailoring the rig to those. If you had a residency with a first floor function room and no lift, twin 18" subs are unlikely to be a good idea. :)

Fascinating stuff. Thanks again.

In hindsight I probably should have said what people would recommend too! If there are any more, recommendations would be nice also.

Thanks

yourdj
01-06-2016, 09:09 AM
I would go DXR 12's if I went fully active, although the Evox would be a nice option for styling as speaker systems seem to be going this way?
I would also consider Bose as they look sexy and people know the brand. The new speaker systems seem to be pretty good. Compact etc.e benefits

Line array does have benefits (wedding breakfast background music for example) so I would probably have 2 systems for different applications perhaps?? I am considering getting a compact Bose to replace the DBR12 when/if they bring our a white one. The DBR 12 is a great speaker btw. not far off the DXR internals just cheaper plastic etc. The bass that come off that thing defy physics!!

Shaun
01-06-2016, 10:47 AM
A pair of RCF 712a for my tops. Clear, loud, pretty light and just fantastic overall.

For subs, it's a pair of RCF 905a.

Same as above, but with 715's.

Shakermaker Promotions
01-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Most of the time it's Mackie 450 v2 for me and if I need a bit extra I will use RCF 705 AS Subs with them.
I also have some DB Technologies Basic 400's which are quite nice and used for smaller venues.

mattydj50
01-06-2016, 01:15 PM
I have 4 x Peavey H12's. I use 2 for the smaller of my two venues and add the second two when in the larger room. I'm lucky in having a residency where I only have to consider either/or in room space and I steer away from using subs for health reasons.

surround sounds
01-06-2016, 06:30 PM
I have
2 x rcf 712
2 x rcf 715
2 x db 605
2 x rcf 905a
2 x Bose L1 model 2 with b2 subs

Benny Smyth
01-06-2016, 06:57 PM
I have
2 x rcf 712
2 x rcf 715
2 x db 605
2 x rcf 905a

John also has a side business in building demolition through sound. :p

surround sounds
01-06-2016, 08:16 PM
John also has a side business in building demolition through sound. :p

Yes but i only really use my Bose speakers really
:D

ppentertainments
01-06-2016, 09:01 PM
I have
2 x rcf 712
2 x rcf 715
2 x db 605
2 x rcf 905a

The op asked for opinions, not for a list :rolleyes:

soundscapes
01-06-2016, 09:17 PM
Interesting. On paper they're very impressive. I'd like to compare them to my Proels, as my Alto TS210s are very unimpressive. That story is told elsewhere

We will have to arrange a side by side comparison, I'm interested to hear the proels too

yourdj
02-06-2016, 05:19 AM
Yes but i only really use my Bose speakers really
:D

Nice to have that selection for different applications.
Would be totally wasted on me as i only do function rooms in hotels with less than 100 people.

I do want a line array for background though - Bose Compact. :)

ukpartydj
02-06-2016, 10:36 PM
For medium sized venues:
x2 RCF 710A + RCF 705AS

If it's small I'll use a cheap qtx 15" sub

Both setups sound good, I cannot say I've heard better of similar size weight and price.

Large venues I have 2x Mackie SRM450mk1, 2x RCF710A 2x QTX 12" and I hire an extra RCF705as to make it 4 subs in total. This setup sounds okay but nowhere near as good as my medium and small setups.

RCF310A = Excellent. Lightweight and sound better than line array systems I've heard (bose & evox) IMO.

funkymook
02-06-2016, 11:10 PM
I have an Evox 8 and a pair of Maui 5’s. Both are lightweight and quick and easy to set-up.

At the moment the Muai’s are going out more than the Evox due to the size and nature of my bookings.

TONYTIGER
03-06-2016, 08:05 AM
For small gigs i use a pair of qsc k 10 for larger jobs a pair of Yamaha DXR 15 and for weddings i have a FBT vertus system in white ,i also have a pair of Logic 18 powered subs which i team up with the Yamaha's.

rth_discos
03-06-2016, 08:12 AM

I've not been impressed with line arrays for background use - they are either too bassy with the sub, or if you knock out the bass, too toppy.

Normal 10" speakers have much better mids than line arrays.

Benny Smyth
03-06-2016, 08:29 AM
At the moment the Muai’s are going out more than the Evox due to the size and nature of my bookings.

How so? I've not listened to the Muai's, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Excalibur
03-06-2016, 11:37 AM

Neither have I, but when I've heard the Maui 5 it's impressed me immensely. Someone here who has used a pair is very pleased with them, particularly portability, but reckons they could run out of steam around a hundred people.
For anyone with upstairs gigs for seventy five people or less, they're ( apparently ) ideal.

funkymook
03-06-2016, 12:30 PM

Neither have I, but when I've heard the Maui 5 it's impressed me immensely. Someone here who has used a pair is very pleased with them, particularly portability, but reckons they could run out of steam around a hundred people.
For anyone with upstairs gigs for seventy five people or less, they're ( apparently ) ideal.

Peter - yes they are.

Benny - a lot of my bookings are for weddings with around 60 - 70 guests in small venues in Central London - the Maui 5’s are perfect for this, tiny footprint, plenty loud and bassy enough and a very easy load in/out. So far they’ve also coped with a charity event for 100 older guests and an outside afternoon birthday party. Haven’t had any recently but the next sound limited venue will have a visit and a quick sound test and if the Maui sets it off then there’s no point in taking anything bigger regardless of the number of guests.

Toby - Check out a Maui 5 first.

Excalibur
03-06-2016, 02:14 PM

Couldn't agree more. At least as visually attractive as a Bose, very acceptable performance, at a much lower cost.

ppentertainments
03-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Hoping to get a demo of the Maui 5 sometime, heard so many good reports and think they could be ideal for ceremonies, drinks receptions etc when 2 or more setups are needed

ukpartydj
03-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Line arrays to me are more attractive and lighter but that's all you're gaining. At the current prices for them I'm certainly not interested.

Sapphire Disco
03-06-2016, 06:07 PM
I'm looking at either a pair of Evox 8 or a pair of LD Systems CURV 500 any recommendations ?

Excalibur
03-06-2016, 07:47 PM
I'm looking at either a pair of Evox 8 or a pair of LD Systems CURV 500 any recommendations ?

Don't get the Curv. Unless you start to flash the red lights a lot, it runs out of puff very quickly. Opinion is divided on whether that's standard operating procedure, or terminal abuse.

Pe7e
03-06-2016, 10:08 PM
Don't get the Curv. Unless you start to flash the red lights a lot, it runs out of puff very quickly. Opinion is divided on whether that's standard operating procedure, or terminal abuse.

Totally agree, I auditioned a 'Curv' and was underwhelmed to say the least, I eventually bought a LD Maui28 Mix and am delighted with it, it's very flexible, plenty of power and compact to transport. I intend to purchase a second one in the near future to provide a more symmetrical (easier to sell) set up, although a single unit is all that's needed for most events, (excluding 18th's and 21st's of course0.

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-06-2016, 10:43 AM
Line arrays to me are more attractive and lighter but that's all you're gaining. At the current prices for them I'm certainly not interested.

And a fantastic sound...

Come and listen to my Evox 8 Paul. You can sort out my watch strap while you're here...;)

I use the Evox 8 and also have a pair of QSC K10s that I used to use with an RCF 705.

I also have a pair of W-Audio PSR8 which are useful for PA hire and background music etc

Sapphire Disco
04-06-2016, 12:06 PM
And a fantastic sound...

Come and listen to my Evox 8 Paul. You can sort out my watch strap while you're here...;)

I use the Evox 8 and also have a pair of QSC K10s that I used to use with an RCF 705.

I also have a pair of W-Audio PSR8 which are useful for PA hire and background music etc

Will do Darren I'm on the Isle of wight next week working on my new shop will see you when I get back.

ppentertainments
04-06-2016, 12:52 PM
And a fantastic sound...

Do you find the evox a little underpowered ? I think it is just me as I don't do huge venues but find them a little lacking in volume. It could be that I am not used to an array speaker and mainly do Race Nights now so prefer a harsher sound.

Nakatomi
04-06-2016, 03:42 PM

Nah I'd call it abuse. If the internal limiter is having to squash everything constantly, the average power the amp is pushing out will actually be higher than if it wasn't limiting.. and that's not generally for the best.

Anyway.. I'm currently going out with a pair of Alto TS115A actives with a DB Stage Opera 41-15 bin. I'm fairly happy with my sound but wouldn't say I love it. I'm still pondering what to upgrade to though. More than likely Yamaha DXR8s with a pair of 12 or 15" bins. NOT FBT. I know at least one person with FBT kit who's had to have it repaired in its very short life. Ah the fanboys on facebook DJ groups will say - but the customer service is second to none... Yup - can't argue with that but I don't want my speakers to be out of service for 2 days.. or indeed ANY days while they're in warranty or not.

yourdj
04-06-2016, 04:05 PM
I've not been impressed with line arrays for background use

Interesting. I don't actually need one, so may hold back.

I know its a better speaker (cost/vs performance) and comes in white, but it would be like buying a Maserati, when you have the cash for a Ferrari. I doubt its that much of a better car, but everyone knows the brand - assuming you wanted to get attention as a purveyor of fine things, which is my only aim really but if its pants for background then i will give it a miss and save my money. :p

Excalibur
04-06-2016, 04:46 PM
but if its pants for background then i will give it a miss and save my money. :p

Toby you :muppet:, go and listen to one, and then tell me it's rubbish. That's what it's designed for.

ppentertainments
04-06-2016, 06:55 PM
I know its a better speaker (cost/vs performance) and comes in white, but it would be like buying a Maserati, when you have the cash for a Ferrari. I doubt its that much of a better car, but everyone knows the brand - assuming you wanted to get attention as a purveyor of fine things, which is my only aim really but if its pants for background then i will give it a miss and save my money. :p

Don't understand that logic for a business purchase

yourdj
05-06-2016, 12:41 AM
Toby you :muppet:, go and listen to one, and then tell me it's rubbish. That's what it's designed for.

A previous comment said that it was far too bassy for background. I have listened to one all night from a band, its a lovely sounding system for main layout, which is what its designed for. My impression was that "line array" travelled further than standard sound systems, thus dispersing the sound more evenly to tables further away, but if its a bit ill equipped for background then i may pass?

As per the business comment, I really want a sleek sexy looking speaker for the ceremonies as you are up close and personal with the guests and they tend to know the Bose brand as a luxury item (my wedding manager said "oh the DJ the other day had a lovely speaker" (it was a Bose L1) whilst looking at my brand spanking new Yamaha) Its a cheeky £600 and I could do with a decent second system as I am doing tons of all day weddings with multiple sound areas to sort. Nice to have 2-3 systems in place at the start of the day rather than lug crap about. Also nice to have 3 different types of systems (Yamaha, QTX battery & line array). Just nice to create a good impression really, especially at the start of the day. My Yamaha is fine for ceremony, but I would like a second background system, ideally white in colour and Bose, but LD is also an amazing make (I have 3 LD dave systems). :)

ukpartydj
05-06-2016, 06:56 AM
As per the business comment, I really want a sleek sexy looking speaker for the ceremonies as you are up close and personal with the guests and they tend to know the Bose brand as a luxury item (my wedding manager said "oh the DJ the other day had a lovely speaker" (it was a Bose L1)

Each to their own, anybody who knows their techy stuff will know Bose, Apple, Beats are good but they are for the most part for people who don't have the time to know much about what they're buying hence is worth nowhere near the price tag.

If you think your clients will actually care then that's unfortunate for them but fair enough for your reason to purchase.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-06-2016, 01:50 PM
Do you find the evox a little underpowered ?

No. I play to mainly less than 150 and find them incredibly loud with no loss of quality.

Nakatomi
05-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Each to their own, anybody who knows their techy stuff will know Bose, Apple, Beats are good

The best thing I can say about the L1 is that it's very light. Oh, and it sounds OK if there's a wall between you & the speaker. I'm really not kidding. Ouch. I thought the midrange of Mackies & RCF was a bit bitey. Hahaha.

rth_discos
05-06-2016, 08:20 PM
Do you find the evox a little underpowered ?

I'm yet to come across a situation where I've run out of power with them - even in marquees.

Bear in mind that I perform to the dancefloor - not the whole room like a nightclub though...

ukpartydj
05-06-2016, 09:49 PM
The best thing I can say about the L1 is that it's very light. Oh, and it sounds OK if there's a wall between you & the speaker. I'm really not kidding. Ouch. I thought the midrange of Mackies & RCF was a bit bitey. Hahaha.

I did have an l1 for a while also I just couldn't get my head around them... Why are the speakers so low? They're like cinema speakers! 3 people stand close in front of a speaker column and you've got like 3 tiny speakers that can be heard? RCF and other have allowed height adjustment which IMO is a must to get them above heads.

DJIanScott
06-06-2016, 08:09 AM
I'm another advocate of the Yamaha DXR range. They are the new industry standard judging by sales figures worldwide, a title they took from Mackie after the 450's took a huge quality nose-dive when they cheapened the components.
I use the DXR 10"s for very small venues and MC/Toastmaster work. Genius inbuilt multi-input mixer on the back of each cab means I can just plug a mic in, and maybe an ipod for background shizzle.

For my main PA, I thoroughly recommend the Yamaha DSR115's. Huge power, wooden cabs, massive headroom with 400w high frequency compression drivers (most speakers have about 150w), ideal for live sound too. The down side? They weigh close on 30kg each so they take a bit of careful lifting! I have the matching 18" subs with these...but I still haven't used them! The top cabs pack such a wallop that most of the venues I play in would fall down if I gave it any more clout!

flatliners
22-06-2016, 02:42 AM

flashing red light on the curv is fine as long as it dosen't its not on permenent found this out after reading the manual

Steven
22-06-2016, 08:01 AM
We currently have
2 x RCF HD12a
2 x RCF 705As
2 x Wharfedale EVP15
Various passives in case of huge gigs for sound reinforcement.

Looking to make the RCF rig the 2nd rig with purchase of some singing drainpipes, either 2 RCF Evox 8s or 1 (or 2) LD Maui 44 but i need to have a listen to these first, Anyone heard these yet? . I've heard reports the 28's aren't as good as they look.

Also going to need something like the Maui 5 for ceremony/background duties pretty soon.

CRAZY K
22-06-2016, 08:22 AM
flashing red light on the curv is fine as long as it dosen't its not on permenent found this out after reading the manual

Really, why have a red light then at all:daft::daft:

Mind you im always yellow lighting--but im sure my manuals dont suggest red lighting is good at any stage!

Nakatomi
22-06-2016, 11:51 AM

They're still not all that loud though. A total shame IMHO. Fine you might say, for really small gigs.. but for really small gigs I'd honestly be taking something much cheaper onboard.

Casual77
22-06-2016, 05:27 PM
I've got a pair of Yamaha DBR12s that I'm really happy with as my main speakers. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a decent pair of 12" actives. My back-up speakers are a pair of Proel Flash 12AV2s that have had hardly been used up to now. I think I have only used them on one gig to try them out when I first bought them and remember being suitably impressed (although I didn't think they were quite as good as the Yamahas)

I've also got a pair of Alto Tsub12s and a Tsub15 which I use for bigger gigs.

Excalibur
22-06-2016, 06:22 PM
Flashing red light on the curv is fine as long as it's not on permanent. Found this out after reading the manual
Apparently so. We gave the man from Peavey some stick when the red lights started flashing on his demo cab at low volume levels. He too said it wasn't a fault, it just meant the system was working correctly.
We were sceptical.

They're still not all that loud though. A total shame IMHO. Fine you might say, for really small gigs.. but for really small gigs I'd honestly be taking something much cheaper onboard.
Problem is, they look as if they're designed to compete with small subs/tops combinations.

or 1 (or 2) LD Maui 44 but i need to have a listen to these first, Anyone heard these yet? . I've heard reports the 28's aren't as good as they look.

Also going to need something like the Maui 5 for ceremony/background duties pretty soon.
And I know folk who regard them highly. The 5 seems to impress everybody though.

mattydj50
23-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Apparently so. We gave the man from Peavey some stick when the red lights started flashing on his demo cab at low volume levels. He too said it wasn't a fault, it just meant the system was working correctly.
We were sceptical.

Man from Peavey, he tell me the same. I've regularly run my H12's with the red lights flashing and had no problem.

Wood. Touch.

Nakatomi
23-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Man from Peavey, he tell me the same. I've regularly run my H12's with the red lights flashing and had no problem.

Wood. Touch.

This would be what I call tickling the limiter. Any further & you'll be in constant limiting which can actually increase the average power level. Which is a bad thing & can lead to nastiness

CRAZY K
23-06-2016, 01:05 PM
This would be what I call tickling the limiter. Any further & you'll be in constant limiting which can actually increase the average power level. Which is a bad thing & can lead to nastiness

Are we talking component overload and failure OR speaker damage?

Nakatomi
23-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Are we talking component overload and failure OR speaker damage?

One or the other or both! Just depends on how it's all been designed. Take a Mackie Thump for example.. they've got underrated drivers, underrated power supply & underrated amplifier components.. and let's not even mention the inadequate heatsinking. or FBT.. some of them don't spend longer than 5 minutes out of the box & they explode :rofl:

EDIT: Ah but FBT's customer service is second to none. Exploded speakers get fixed in double quick time. So they get +1 point for that

TONYTIGER
24-06-2016, 05:56 AM
One or the other or both! Just depends on how it's all been designed. Take a Mackie Thump for example.. they've got underrated drivers, underrated power supply & underrated amplifier components.. and let's not even mention the inadequate heatsinking. or FBT.. some of them don't spend longer than 5 minutes out of the box & they explode :rofl:

EDIT: Ah but FBT's customer service is second to none. Exploded speakers get fixed in double quick time. So they get +1 point for that

I have been running 3 FBT systems for a number of years no problem,i dont think you should comment on a make of speaker so flippantly, just my opinion.

ukpartydj
24-06-2016, 07:21 AM
One or the other or both! Just depends on how it's all been designed. Take a Mackie Thump for example.. they've got underrated drivers, underrated power supply & underrated amplifier components.. and let's not even mention the inadequate heatsinking.

I had thumps as my first speakers... I'm not a super loud DJ but they were a joke! Red light coming on all the time, maybe they could have been pushed but I wasn't interested! They may have lasted 4 gigs at most before selling.

Excalibur
24-06-2016, 07:33 AM
We were sceptical.

Wood. Touch.
Mayhap, but I work on the same principle as this well regarded and successful professional sound engineer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1uU6y7ezI8

I have been running 3 FBT systems for a number of years no problem,i dont think you should comment on a make of speaker so flippantly, just my opinion.
And I ran QTX cabs with no issues for a time. For every person who believes something is :pants: there will be someone who thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread.

TONYTIGER
24-06-2016, 09:25 AM
Mayhap, but I work on the same principle as this well regarded and successful professional sound engineer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1uU6y7ezI8

And I ran QTX cabs with no issues for a time. For every person who believes something is :pants: there will be someone who thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread.

The difference is you have owned and run QTX cabs so i respect your opinion ,i run over £ 10.000 worth of FBT systems and they are one of the most respected systems in Europe so scaremongering on hearsay is pointless in my opinion.

Excalibur
24-06-2016, 11:28 AM
The difference is you have owned and run QTX cabs so i respect your opinion ,i run over £ 10.000 worth of FBT systems and they are one of the most respected systems in Europe so scaremongering on hearsay is pointless in my opinion.

They are indeed a well respected brand, no question. It did however take about five years for me to hear anything from them which impressed me, and they were a budget offering. At Coalville, my LD rig followed FBT rigs costing thousands of pounds more, and I thought mine blew them away. I was not alone in this view.

As we always say, sound is a personal thing, I can name forum members whose match mine, and as many whose are diametrically opposed.

Nakatomi
24-06-2016, 12:21 PM
It's fair to say that even in light of catastrophic failures some FBT fans remain so. I don't think I could be as charitable if it ever happened to me. The anecdotes I've heard are from people who remain FBT users & I count a friend of mine among them.

Yes new designs are sometimes affected by problems & the manufacturer may choose to fix them as & when they appear instead of recalling product. I wouldn't blame anyone for that. In all reported cases the problems have been fixed in amazingly short time. How long would it take a Yamaha or EV rep to react I wonder?

deepgc
24-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Rockit 6. Top Speakers!

Creature
26-07-2016, 08:20 PM
QX12A 12" ACTIVE SPEAKERS 400 watt rms - use these most of the time :) :)

DB Tecnologies DVX P215 1000 Watt for big rig :):)

I sold my real big PA system of about 4 yeas ago as most people who book me PA is suplied :):)