PDA

View Full Version : Close To Shutdown

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-07-2016, 11:40 AM
We have run this forum successfully for over 10 years, but with the advent of Facebook and other directory listing sites, we find ourself without much sponsorship and not many supporters. We have been charging supporters 1 a month and used to have nearly 70, but we are way down on that and in fact lose money every month. This can't continue, so unless anyone has any radical ideas for sponsorship, the forum and directory will soon be closing. This has been big part of mine, Richie's, Angela's and Shaun's life for quite a while and we'll all be sorry to see it go, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Nakatomi
23-07-2016, 12:07 PM
Sigh. One of the few sane places for DJs to natter & it might have to close?

Would increasing supporters fees help any? What kind of loss is it making?

Excalibur
23-07-2016, 12:18 PM
Hard to convey what a loss that would be. :(:(

I owe this place a lot.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Sigh. One of the few sane places for DJs to natter & it might have to close?

Would increasing supporters fees help any? What kind of loss is it making?

We need around 60 a month for hosting etc and we are getting around 20 the last time I checked.

ukpartydj
23-07-2016, 01:36 PM
We need around 60 a month for hosting etc and we are getting around 20 the last time I checked.

I've never hosted a forum so forgive me if I'm way off here but that sounds quite expensive when many hosts offer hosting around 5 per month for unlimited bandwidth and space?
Perhaps google ads? I'd have thought this forum is an excellent place for ads, many will view it in hope of info on products they're hoping to buy! I remember there were ads on the forum before?

I'm personally not a fan of sponsership / donation style funding. I'm really not sure why Wikipedia think they're so great with no ads when they shove it in your face sometimes that they need money!

Nakatomi
23-07-2016, 01:52 PM

Ouch that's a lot. I'm guessing that's because it takes a lot of bandwidth. If that's not the case then moving hosts would be the answer. I know an admin of another forum who self hosts in a datacentre & because of dwindling membership they integrated it with a facebook page. New threads started a new post which people could reply to etc. It was phpbb based too if I remember right.

Marc J
23-07-2016, 02:44 PM
What are the hosting requirements? Disk space / monthly bandwidth? I might be able to help....

DeckstarDeluxe
23-07-2016, 04:10 PM
Be a massive shame if that were to the be the case. Where else can you find this sort of information!

- - - Updated - - -

Only thing I can think of is linking the site which has all the history with google etc... to link to forks sites and upping the fees if that's possible?

Nakatomi
23-07-2016, 04:18 PM
Changing a site like this over to a new host is a piece of cake (in theory) so the domain name can stay no problem. 60 a month would buy a stupendous amount of hosting I'm not sure this forum really needs.

Retrodisco
23-07-2016, 05:01 PM
I run a much larger and busier car forum on 5 a month hosting.

Shaun
23-07-2016, 06:35 PM
What are the hosting requirements? Disk space / monthly bandwidth? I might be able to help....

I'll find that out.

-----------------------------

I remember when we moved to the 60 quid hosting I thought. "jeeez, expensive", but at the time I recall being it being mentioned that it was needed. Not sure if it's something to do with the directory as well as the forum.

Re: the directory though. It's become stagnant (compounded by ongoing technical issues). Maybe it's time to just focus on the forum and shut down the directory side of things? Something needs to be done ASAP though, as it'll be a shame to lose this place. Facebook seems to be the way most people have went, but in my opinion there's a lot to be said for a good searchable database such as this forum.

Marc J
23-07-2016, 07:42 PM
I'll find that out.

When you do, just email me if you prefer.

It might also be useful to know the visitor stats, i.e. average / peak number of concurrent visitors, visitors per day (in recent history) , etc. etc.

Excalibur
23-07-2016, 07:43 PM
Re: the directory though. It's become stagnant (compounded by ongoing technical issues). Maybe it's time to just focus on the forum and shut down the directory side of things? Something needs to be done ASAP though, as it'll be a shame to lose this place. Facebook seems to be the way most people have went, but in my opinion there's a lot to be said for a good searchable database such as this forum.

A slimmed down forum? Now there's a thought. Perhaps there are options, although in the light of dwindling numbers, I don't see charges/increased fees being a cost effective option.

Imagine
24-07-2016, 12:30 AM
Nooooooooooooooo :(

Sorry for the late reply. I'm on holibobs this week in darkest Wales and interwibble connectivity is running at around half the speed of smell.

To lose this forum would be a tragedy. It's helped me and so many others over the years so much. Unlike Faceache, you get genuine, honest and reliable information (unless of course you're trying to restore an Android phone :daft:)

60 a month is extortion. I'm with Fasthosts at the moment (unlimited bandwidth) for something like 6 + VAT. Other providers are available for similar prices. The main issue I can see would be database size (most hosts limit to 1Gb on that front). If there's ANYTHING I can do to help...please shout as this place is far too valuable to lose :(.

Benny Smyth
24-07-2016, 12:35 AM
Does that 60 quid a month come with a complimentary reach around?

ukpartydj
24-07-2016, 02:05 AM
To lose this forum would be a tragedy. It's helped me and so many others over the years so much. Unlike Faceache, you get genuine, honest and reliable information.

It's helped us all I'm sure, we'd also lose this sort of thing:

Does that 60 quid a month come with a complimentary reach around?

So maybe closure is for the best!

CRAZY K
24-07-2016, 12:59 PM
We have run this forum successfully for over 10 years, but with the advent of Facebook and other directory listing sites, we find ourself without much sponsorship and not many supporters. We have been charging supporters 1 a month and used to have nearly 70, but we are way down on that and in fact lose money every month. This can't continue, so unless anyone has any radical ideas for sponsorship, the forum and directory will soon be closing. This has been big part of mine, Richie's, Angela's and Shaun's life for quite a while and we'll all be sorry to see it go, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

I would hate to lose the chance to compare views, get information and give it back as well.

Wouldnt say 12 people at 5 a month do it?

Im up for it.

Count me in.

:cowboy:

Nakatomi
25-07-2016, 12:30 AM
I would hate to lose the chance to compare views, get information and give it back as well.

Wouldnt say 12 people at 5 a month do it?

Im up for it.

Count me in.

:cowboy:

As much as I value this place I think a fiver a month's a bit steep. Nah, finding a better value host is the way forward IMHO.

Marc J
25-07-2016, 02:18 AM
It's no secret I get work from some of the regulars here, not so much on the design side (I don't like doing it, TBH, and I'm usually too busy, anyway) but on the domains / hosting side there's a steady "trickle".

Not enough to take on 60 per month, but if I can host the site myself either free or without too much expense (hopefully within the 20 per month you've got coming in) I'd certainly do that.

To everyone banging on about 5 per month unlimited disk space / bandwidth hosting - these are headline figures designed to pull you in. Read the Ts & Cs on any of them re acceptable use - the minute you start use too much in server resources (CPU processing / memory) they'll disable your account and then politely offer you an upgrade or ask you to go elsewhere. Depending on the software used and popularity of a site, it doesn't take many concurrent users to trigger the alarm bells at these bargain basement hosts...who ideally want low traffic, static sites...otherwise why doesn't the BBC save itself (i.e. us) a few million a year and host http://www.bbc.co.uk/news on one of these deals?

I remember when MDD had to move hosts the last time (quite a few years back). IIRC, looking at the figures then, they had a decent deal for the resources they were using at that time. But prices come down, and the popularity of forums, for one reason nor another, is generally on the decline all over...

CRAZY K
25-07-2016, 08:43 AM
It's no secret I get work from some of the regulars here, not so much on the design side (I don't like doing it, TBH, and I'm usually too busy, anyway) but on the domains / hosting side there's a steady "trickle".

Not enough to take on 60 per month, but if I can host the site myself either free or without too much expense (hopefully within the 20 per month you've got coming in) I'd certainly do that.

To everyone banging on about 5 per month unlimited disk space / bandwidth hosting - these are headline figures designed to pull you in. Read the Ts & Cs on any of them re acceptable use - the minute you start use too much in server resources (CPU processing / memory) they'll disable your account and then politely offer you an upgrade or ask you to go elsewhere. Depending on the software used and popularity of a site, it doesn't take many concurrent users to trigger the alarm bells at these bargain basement hosts...who ideally want low traffic, static sites...otherwise why doesn't the BBC save itself (i.e. us) a few million a year and host http://www.bbc.co.uk/news on one of these deals?

I remember when MDD had to move hosts the last time (quite a few years back). IIRC, looking at the figures then, they had a decent deal for the resources they were using at that time. But prices come down, and the popularity of forums, for one reason nor another, is generally on the decline all over...

A simple chat room would be fine by me--I don't do Face thing or tweeting--or meedjah.

Nakatomi
25-07-2016, 09:33 AM
For those of you not on Facebook even the more clued up DJ network pages are full of trolls & stupid posts. We get very little of that here & it'd be very sad to see one of the last vestiges of sanity disappear.

DeckstarDeluxe
25-07-2016, 11:07 AM
As much as I value this place I think a fiver a month's a bit steep. Nah, finding a better value host is the way forward IMHO.

I'd personally be very happy to put up five quid a month. The information I've gained from the forum has helped me and my business massively. I've also met many good friends from forum meets, networking events etc...

yourdj
25-07-2016, 11:54 AM
For those of you not on Facebook even the more clued up DJ network pages are full of trolls & stupid posts. We get very little of that here & it'd be very sad to see one of the last vestiges of sanity disappear.

I'd personally be very happy to put up five quid a month. The information I've gained from the forum has helped me and my business massively. I've also met many good friends from forum meets, networking events etc...

I am only on here and my own Facebook closed group the HDA (Hampshire DJ Alliance), hence my stupid posts at times. I gave up with the networking groups years ago as you try and post a sensible question and all the keyboard warriors just shoot you down. Lots of people with some serious sociopathic issues I guess. Makes me wonder how such negative nellys, can work in this industry really?

I think this forum is great and many thanks to all the admins who have managed it over the years. In terms of payments I don't think thats a bad idea - we added a small charge for the HDA a year or so ago, which is 30 a year. We had about 50 members so it was a bit of a gamble. its was very apparent from then on who was in it for the group and who was in it for themselves as all the people who pulled out did so and all the valued members of the group remained. We now have about 30 and its a much stronger better group because of it. :)

Thousands of other prospective DJ's read the posts on here and gain useful information without adding anything useful themselves, so perhaps a more exclusive paid forum might be a better option? I think there will be enough people to warrant it and 30 a year would perhaps be a figure to go for. Having said that if it worked and the content was still as goo I agree with Deckstar and think 5 a month is worth it, as long as the forum does not support free rides. A more private solution that does not also destroy this forums SEO benefits would also be a worthwhile consideration. :)

DJColsie
25-07-2016, 12:18 PM
I pay the 1pm and think it is tremendous value. Is there a possibility of increasing the number of contributors or people who get value from the site for free at the moment, making the nominal contribution?

If the costs can be reduced then great if not then it would still be terrific value at 2/3pm, the cost of 1 decent coffee!

yourdj
25-07-2016, 12:45 PM
I pay the 1pm and think it is tremendous value. Is there a possibility of increasing the number of contributors or people who get value from the site for free at the moment, making the nominal contribution?

If the costs can be reduced then great if not then it would still be terrific value at 2/3pm, the cost of 1 decent coffee!

:agree: Even the 'steep' price of 5 is only cost of 1 :beer1: down the pub.

Its not a lot of money really, assuming that the money goes back into the site and a good hosting/storage plan is found.
I think admins should be paid also for the work/time they put in.

Can I pay a bit extra and have 'toby bashing immunity' :p

Excalibur
25-07-2016, 01:59 PM

Neil, I agree with you totally, and I'd say (quietly of course ) that 5 a month wasn't silly. Unfortunately, it might be hard to concince newbies of that.

:agree: Even the 'steep' price of 5 is only cost of 1 :beer1: down the pub.

Its not a lot of money really, assuming that the money goes back into the site and a good hosting/storage plan is found.
I think admins should be paid also for the work/time they put in.

Toby, where and what do you drink for a fiver? :confused::confused:
Where I go, I can get two pints and a packet of crisps. :)

Re your modest immunity charge, that's a fine idea. I personally would be delighted to remove any and all defamatory or abusive posts concerning you. I'll PM you my bank details later. :D:D

ppentertainments
25-07-2016, 04:14 PM
Could it be worth popping this on the MDD FB page/group too, which may help encourage a few old regulars back. I tried a few years ago and a few popped their heads in.

Like others have said, I think these forums will struggle with FB, however if people sat back and looked at it seriously FB groups are nothing but a total waste of time.

Think the poison of FB affects a lot of things. I have just taken over as Chairman of our local NADJ branch (again) and know it will be an uphill struggle to get people to attend as it is easier for them to just sit on FB and believe the tripe people write on their - amazing too how many have negative comments about the branch meetings, and post such on FB, without ever having attended a meeting lol.

Shaun
25-07-2016, 05:24 PM

You may need to re-mortgage your house for that type of immunity. :d

----------------------------------

Marc - I've requested the details you asked for, hopefully get those emailed over to you soon - thank you :):beer1:

----------------------------------

Cheers to everyone else for your thoughts. For me personally, I'd much rather find a solution to reduce costs rather than asking people to pay more to be a supporter.

yourdj
25-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Neil, I agree with you totally, and I'd say (quietly of course ) that 5 a month wasn't silly. Unfortunately, it might be hard to concince newbies of that.

Toby, where and what do you drink for a fiver? :confused::confused:
Where I go, I can get two pints and a packet of crisps. :)

Re your modest immunity charge, that's a fine idea. I personally would be delighted to remove any and all defamatory or abusive posts concerning you. I'll PM you my bank details later. :D:D

My local (well the place I dine and drink at most) is in Beaulieu. The New Forest is pretty expensive. :)
A pot of tea and 2 biscuits costs 4. That is with table service mind you.
Having said that a Ringwood Best Bitter a local pub would be 4.50-5.
http://www.montaguarmshotel.co.uk/Afternoon_tea_menu.html

Thanks sounds like a plan. I don't spend a lot on Marketing these days anyway. ;)

You may need to re-mortgage your house for that type of immunity. :d

I am remortgaging tomorrow, so will add that in too then. :)

ckpr2
26-07-2016, 12:35 AM
I run a much larger and busier car forum on 5 a month hosting.

I have a SQL database based website and it costs 3-99 with Winserve.
It took me a long time to find anything that cheap.
They are very helpful getting things set up.

I was with Azure and that cost a fortune.

Imagine
26-07-2016, 12:51 AM
A pint in my local is 3.50 (and that's shocking as it's 90% water....I also brew my own so I know!!!!)

5 a month - I'd happily go for. As someone's already said, the SEO benefits alone are worth that (being utterly selfish just for a moment, this site is pure link juice!)

Toby - I'd also require the immunity fee so build that one into your mortgage renewal fees! ;)

In all seriousness though....I'm a member of several of the Faceache groups. There's some real keyboard warriors on there who think they know everything but actually know nothing and just want to wave their gentlemen vegetables around. I've learned more from here (Peter with the DXR8's.....FB would have had me using something a lot worse, Justin with the wireless DMX although I notice the MDJN chaps are just getting into that one), and even though I've posted some really daft and obvious questions (I've only been back 4 years after a 15 year break and still learning a hell of a lot) - nobody on here has shot me down in flames, and for that I'm truly thankful.

Just mention the Chauvet Gigbar (it has it's uses in the right places) and you'll be absolutely slaughtered on the MDJN FB group. But - I own TWO of them after advice on here. They're mainly used for kids parties and pub type gigs and never without some sort of wash effect and in the right place - they're ideal. There are certain keyboard warriors on FB though that seem to believe you should be strung up for using them for some reason.

I'm of the opinion that you never actually stop learning. Yes, I'm damned good at what I do, and I'll always keep trying to be the best I can in front of my customers. I'll even help others out where I can either on here, or I've been known to take complete learners out on the road who have spent thousands on gear and never had a booking (both of those have subsequently sold up because it was too much like hard work....they thought this game was literally about showing up, pressing buttons and collecting the pay cheque!).

What I'm trying to say is that this forum is a real gem - it was one of my first hits when I started back up (the interweb didn't exist the first time around), and it's been invaluable to me in getting back into a job I love with a real passion.

So - if we can find a way of keeping it going whether that's increased membership/usage fees or cheaper hosting or something else....I'm on board all the way :)

Benny Smyth
26-07-2016, 02:27 AM
Can't we all pay a nominal fee to partake in the Toby bashing? Surely that'd bring in more revenue.

:p

Failing that, I'll chip in a few extra quid. But I want a gold crown next to my name on the forum.

Excalibur
26-07-2016, 08:13 AM
But I want a gold crown next to my name on the forum.

Hmmmm. We've had some very interesting additions and alterations to people's names and avatars before. We may again. :whistle:

Shakermaker Promotions
26-07-2016, 11:09 AM
Sorry for the late reply on this. I don't want it to look like I am not bothered because I am. This place has been of help to myself and others.
I must admit that it's only the forum I use for starters.
I used to support the site with the payment but I had issues with PayPal (account hacked) and I've never used it since and I've not looked into it again since I stopped using it.
1.00 a month or 5.00 a month wouldn't bother me personally because I think it's worth it. If there is another way of paying just let me know but it won't be something I do just yet because I am in the middle of a house move and I'm concentrating on that (15th August can't come quick enough!).

On another note, I'd pay a little extra just for a dedicated Toby bashing area ;) (joke!)

yourdj
26-07-2016, 02:58 PM
A pint in my local is 3.50 (and that's shocking as it's 90% water....I also brew my own so I know!!!!)

Probably is in some of they pubs in Hythe, where I live, but anywhere I go it's between 4 and 6.50 for a real ale.
I am in a bar in Lymington right now and draft lager (1936 Biere) is 395. 495 for a bottle of Ringwood bitter. :(
But I would guess it would go to 3.50 in the main pub in my village for Carlsberg or something similar?
I can't drink cheaper tap lagers these days, makes me feel sick - prefer bottled ones or better brands on the pumps.

Cheaper beer is REALLY expensive, given the time and ingredients to make it.
The of the cost of alcohol in the UK is tax, its borderline extortion if you ask me!!!
Bit like fuel and cheap item prescriptions also. Had to pay 8.50 for 4 folic acid tablets the other day :eek:

Can't we all pay a nominal fee to partake in the Toby bashing? Surely that'd bring in more revenue.

On another note, I'd pay a little extra just for a dedicated Toby bashing area ;) (joke!)

Hang on this was supposed to be for immunity, not to actually have a complete section for that.
If we got in a bidding war between the haters and me, that may pay for it :p

Excalibur
26-07-2016, 06:25 PM
I am in a bar in Lymington right now and draft lager (1936 Biere) is 395. 495 for a bottle of Ringwood bitter.

Bloody hell, Toby!! :eek::eek::eek:I'd have to do five discos to buy a pint. :cry::cry:

DazzyD
27-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Is the forum hosted through Heart Internet as well as being the domain registrar? I left Heart and moved to GoDaddy and saved some money that way.

Can I pay a bit extra and have 'toby bashing immunity' :p...

I think it's a fine idea to raise revenue but we might lose more of the membership if we put a blanket ban on comments about Toby and his photos and videos!! :eek:

Hmmmm. We've had some very interesting additions and alterations to people's names and avatars before. We may again. :whistle:

Yes. I think I remember those little "changes". :eek:

ukpartydj
27-07-2016, 07:17 PM
I think it's a fine idea to raise revenue but we might lose more of the membership if we put a blanket ban on comments about Toby and his photos and videos!! :eek:

I'm all for fundraising. Providing it doesn't involve my funds!

Aa previously mentioned by myself I think there has got to be other ways.
For a start there is no advertising, surely if the forum is so vast / popular the amount of income from advertising would be reflective of this?

We don't seem to have many reviews up anymore and that could be something people search for often / people looking at reviews normally are in a buying mood.

I had a stupid little page (trying to be helpful) to potential clients a few years back which made me 170 in a year (google ads) and sadly only trickles in about 20p per week currently.
If 4 similar income level pages were produced here it'd generate the income you need to run the site without sponsership.

discomobiledj
01-08-2016, 07:59 PM
I've sent you a message Darren.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all the messages - we are looking into different ideas at the moment.