PDA

View Full Version : Giving the EVOX 8 a little help with additional Sub

Spirits High
07-04-2017, 07:12 PM
I've had my EVOX 8 for probably nearly 3 years now and absolutely love the sound, portability & appearance. However when I occasionally do marquees I found them to be a little bit lacking to give it the complete sound I'd like without pushing them to and beyond their limits.

To that end I'd been hunting round for something to give them a little boost in the bass department. Initially I was going to buy one of the Thomann 2 x 10 Active subs but when Brexit was announced the price shot up so that was a no go. As I would think alot of us do I scoured the "Bay of E ness" for potential suspects. A couple of days ago on the Why Buy New page was a DB Tech Sub28D spec below:

Acoustical data
Frequency Response [-10dB]45 - 150 Hz
Max SPL125 dB
Directivityomnidirectional LF2x8 "

Amplifier
Amp TechnologyDigipack™
Amp ClassClass D
Peak Power800 W
Processor
ControllerDSP 24 bit/ 48 kHz
Phase0, 180 °
LimiterDual Active Limiter
Crossover Frequency MF-HF100 Hz, 24dB/Octave
System Presets Flat, Boost

Input
Signal Input2x XLR
Signal Output2x XLR X-Over Out/ Link Out

Mechanics
Housing Multiplex with H.E.T coating, reinforced
Width 290 mm (11.6 in)
Height 520 mm (20.8 in)
Depth 505 mm (20.2 in)
Weight 19.5 kg (42.99 lbs)

Now this was never going to rock the world like an 18 or similar but that's not what I wanted. The one I got was an ex Demo with a couple of marks on it but for £299 I was prepared to take a punt. After testing this afternoon at the unit I'm really pleased with it. Nice punchy sound and reinforces the EVOX nicely. It's small enough to fit under the booth shelf either stood up or on it's side.

I hadn't even seen one of these before it popped up on WBN but glad it did!

DJColsie
07-04-2017, 07:22 PM
I have been researching cheap non bandpass 12inch subs to go with my reserve PA, 2 RCF 708a mk11.

Glad you found a good deal and are pleased with the sub.

Excalibur
08-04-2017, 08:41 AM
I've got to be missing something here. :confused: Everybody's buying stick rigs, and then complaining they aren't big/loud/earthshaking enough. They then start adding different tops, extra subs etc in an effort to get the increased oomph they desire.

If I couldn't get all the kit I wanted in an SWB Transit, I wouldn't have a mate following behind in a 2CV with the rest of the stuff, I'd get an MWB/LWB Transit. Simples.

If the Maui 5s won't hack it, out come the big boxes.

TONYTIGER
08-04-2017, 09:22 AM
I have a small system which works well a pair of K 10 and a pair of RCF 702 so light and packs a punch.

ppentertainments
08-04-2017, 09:50 AM
I've got to be missing something here. :confused: Everybody's buying stick rigs, and then complaining they aren't big/loud/earthshaking enough. They then start adding different tops, extra subs etc in an effort to get the increased oomph they desire.

If I couldn't get all the kit I wanted in an SWB Transit, I wouldn't have a mate following behind in a 2CV with the rest of the stuff, I'd get an MWB/LWB Transit. Simples.

If the Maui 5s won't hack it, out come the big boxes.
Think it is more for 'the look' or at least it is with me.
If I go out with a couple of big subs and 12" tops it doesn't look as neat and I also find peoples perceptions are 'it is going to be loud'. I use the evox too and add a sub (or 2) under my booth so the appearance is the same and (strangely) people don't realise how loud you are actually playing.

Once of the comments I often get are 'you won't play too loud', showing pictures of 2 evox puts their mind at ease.

However I do wish the evox had a little more oomph to eliviate the need for additional subs.

Excalibur
08-04-2017, 09:56 AM
I have a small system which works well a pair of K 10 and a pair of RCF 702 so light and packs a punch.

And do you often find the need to help it out with extra boxes? I suspect not.

It is however, not a stick rig, so not within the remit of the point I made. Wayne uses two 12" Yamaha subs and 8" tops. It's very loud he says, but it's not a stick rig either.

My point refers to people buying stick rigs and deciding they need to be louder. Well either buy a bigger one, or go back to full size subs and tops. ( Mind you, some of the so called stick rigs at Coalville had 12" subs underneath, so they're pushing the envelope quite a lot )

If an Evox 8 isn't big enough, buy an Evox 12.

However I do wish the evox had a little more oomph to eliviate the need for additional subs.

Then it simply isn't fit for ( your ) purpose. That's two of you complaining the Evox subs aren't big enough to keep up with the tops. I'd complain bitterly to RCF if I were you.

DJColsie
08-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Is this not a case of horses for courses and the thought that one size may not fit all.

Hence why I have 2 different PAs that I can mix and match.

Excalibur
08-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Is this not a case of horses for courses and the thought that one size may not fit all.

Hence why I have 2 different PAs that I can mix and match.

Give that man any prize off the top shelf. Correct. :agree:

My order of magnitude is:
Maui 5s ( which have done all bar five gigs I've had since I got them. )
12" tops.
15" tops
15" subs plus 12" tops
and the rig which I've never got to yet 15" subs plus 15" tops.

The first two rigs have coped adequately with ( some ) gigs of between 100 and 150 people.

TONYTIGER
08-04-2017, 11:50 AM
And do you often find the need to help it out with extra boxes? I suspect not.

It is however, not a stick rig, so not within the remit of the point I made. Wayne uses two 12" Yamaha subs and 8" tops. It's very loud he says, but it's not a stick rig either.

My point refers to people buying stick rigs and deciding they need to be louder. Well either buy a bigger one, or go back to full size subs and tops. ( Mind you, some of the so called stick rigs at Coalville had 12" subs underneath, so they're pushing the envelope quite a lot )

Then it simply isn't fit for ( your ) purpose. That's two of you complaining the Evox subs aren't big enough to keep up with the tops. I'd complain bitterly to RCF if I were you.

If i want more volume i use a vertus system yeh thats a stick but plenty of guts for me.

Spirits High
08-04-2017, 02:48 PM

But then you lose the portability of the 8's as the tops from the 12 are separate and not incorporated into the same bag as the sub. Plus they're a good few £'s more!

Not complaining. As I said they're great for what I do of a norm and the client probably doesn't notice a difference without the extra sub but it's what I prefer to do.

Excalibur
08-04-2017, 03:38 PM
But then you lose the portability of the 8's as the tops from the 12 are separate and not incorporated into the same bag as the sub.

I think he's got it. By George, he's got it.:D It's a set of subs and tops in fact. The weapon of choice for larger functions, rather than a pretty stick rig with odds and sods bolted on under the booth.

You can have light, loud and pretty, or heavier, louder and cosmetically lacking. At some point , you have to make a choice which you need. It's an oft repeated phrase, but there is still no " One size fits all PA ".

ppentertainments
08-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Bit between the choice of carrying 2 12"speakers and 1/2 subs or 2 evox and 1/2 subs, I'd choose the Evox option as it looks neater and to me sounds better.

Horses for courses but the size and weight of the Evox is comparable to a lot of top speakers.

The more powerful stick options I just don't like lol

ukpartydj
08-04-2017, 11:42 PM
I do feel like the sticks are style over substance. They sound good for smaller functions. But I personally still think a couple of lightweight 12kg RCF tops and a small sub does the same job and can probably cope with more but costs 1/3 of the sticks.

Swap a small sub for a big one and it sounds great to.... And that'd be 2/3 of the price but could cope with larger crowds.

It's mainly the price that puts me off tbh, I'm not sure you get value for money.

ppentertainments
09-04-2017, 02:18 AM
I do feel like the sticks are style over substance.
It's mainly the price that puts me off tbh, I'm not sure you get value for money.
I 100% agree with your first bit.
Price though - you can get a couple of sticks (subs and tops) for an almost similar price to what a couple of decent tops would cost.

Excalibur
09-04-2017, 07:53 AM
I do feel like the sticks are style over substance.

And I disagree 100%. They are designed for a purpose, smaller gigs, let's say a figure of 100 guests not needing the earth to move.

Now if we upscale to 200 young guests in a marquee, wanting EDM or heavy rock they can feel as well as hear, you're backing the wrong horse.

I still feel it's all down to knowing the limitations and capabilities of your kit, and using the right tool for the job.

Imagine
09-04-2017, 12:06 PM
I still feel it's all down to knowing the limitations and capabilities of your kit, and using the right tool for the job.

Amen brother Peter! :youdaman::youdaman::youdaman:

ukpartydj
09-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Price though - you can get a couple of sticks (subs and tops) for an almost similar price to what a couple of decent tops would cost.

Hmmm, on paper - RCF evox pair is around £2'000 total weight is 47.6kg & 128 dB max SPL per side

RCF 310a = £600, 23.2kg for a pair, max 127dB per side
Single RCF 702as = £700, 17.5kg, max 129dB.

I've not tried the 12" RCF subs, but I'd say that a single 12" sub with 2 RCF 310a's would be similar match (maybe better due to the massive difference in speaker surface area). Sticks are 6.9kg heavier, £700 more, but they are smaller. If you wanted a little extra go for a 15" sub for an extra £100 and I'd say that beat the sticks easy and weigh 2.6kg more but still be £600 less.

If you insist on having 2 subs, it'll be a similar price point but I don't think that'd be the best value for money in that case.

And I disagree 100%. They are designed for a purpose, smaller gigs, let's say a figure of 100 guests not needing the earth to move.

Now if we upscale to 200 young guests in a marquee, wanting EDM or heavy rock they can feel as well as hear, you're backing the wrong horse.

They certainly have their place, and if I had a pair, I'd use them quite regulary. But when you can get so much more "substance" for the same money the extra few hundred quid is most definately the way they look rather than their actual sonic performance?

yourdj
09-04-2017, 01:43 PM
I have a second LD dave sub for marquees and larger events, but rarely need it so its on Ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112339424009?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649). I have array tops now, which throw the sound well & I also use the DBR next to my system (backup) which can be cranked up if required and gives out good Bass.

I think if its the odd event, then the DBR 12 would add enough and you can hide it behind the booth and act as a second system for ceremonies/background etc. If the bass is that badly lacking then just get a small high SPL sub, but unlike the DBR, it will be sitting about not doing much, so as per the other answers a separate system would probably be best and can add as a decent back up should your other one get nicked.

Steven
10-04-2017, 09:39 AM
I have the Evox 8 and if there was a gig i was worried it wouldn't cut it at i would probably take the RCF HD12's and Subs rather than stick a sub under the booth, I can see why you would as you get the looks and the sound too.

I'm surprised you are taking subs to every gig Chris. I've found them fine in the venues I've used them at.

As others say though its about picking the right tool for the job, if the job requires stick speakers but needs a bit more oomph i don't see the problem in doing that.

We've invested heavily in Stick style speakers with the Evox 8, DB ES 602, and the new Maui 28G2. But for larger gigs the HD12s come out to play.

DJIanScott
10-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Following this thread with interest.

Peter makes an interesting point regarding folk who invest in singing drainpipes and then seek to bolster the sound with additional kit. I think there's another point to be made too....when was the last time any of you guys with standard cabinet speakers and subs received negative feedback from your client, purely based on the aesthetics? I've been around as a DJ longer than I care to remember, and that has never happened to me, so that only leaves one place where not having stick systems is uncool...and that's DJ forums and online groups. Peer pressure. 'Elitism' (although there's nothing elite except the price!)

Of course having the choice of so many different systems is a wonderful thing, but please don't be blinded by the aesthetics argument. After all, a box in the air is no more unsightly than a half-built exotic dancers' pole!

DJ Jules
10-04-2017, 12:01 PM
when was the last time any of you guys with standard cabinet speakers and subs received negative feedback from your client, purely based on the aesthetics?

The problem is when clients give their "feedback" by taking their money elsewhere :D I suspect that in certain markets where aesthetics and attention to detail are important, clients are already opting for DJ's with singing drainpipes (especially white singing drainpipes) over other DJ's. Sometimes it can be the small things that give one DJ an edge over another.

Julian

Steven
10-04-2017, 12:22 PM
you will never get a punter saying that a cab on a tripod is ugly... until you show them a "singing drainpipe" rig side by side and most will pick that. #

Probably wont say its ugly still but wont have booked so scant consolation.

DJColsie
10-04-2017, 03:25 PM
Its the photos on the website that do it for a lot of clients - which looks better?

Excalibur
10-04-2017, 04:13 PM
Sometimes it can be the small things that give one DJ an edge over another.
Julian
Small things indeed. According to one member's recent customer feedback " he smells nice "! :D
I expect to see that appearing on his website any day soon as a reason to book him. :)

Its the photos on the website that do it for a lot of clients - which looks better?
Now there's a thought. Customer looks at the photos of a lovely discreet setup incorporating a stick rig, and is upset when the DJ turns up with a six box rig for her wedding with 300 guests in a marquee. It's possible.

Steven
10-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Now there's a thought. Customer looks at the photos of a lovely discreet setup incorporating a stick rig, and is upset when the DJ turns up with a six box rig for her wedding with 300 guests in a marquee. It's possible.

This is where a meeting with the client would explain why this wouldn't be possible.

TONYTIGER
10-04-2017, 05:25 PM
I use a vertus system for weddings because it is white and does the job and looks the part,i could not find anything that is white and looks so good and the customers like it so a simple choice.

yourdj
10-04-2017, 05:46 PM
please don't be blinded by the aesthetics argument.

As well as the aesthetics, there is also the difference in sound, weight and size.

My column speakers are totally different to my RCF 310's and manage to fill the room with sound, rather than directing it. i used to walk past my RCF's and have to place my hand over my ear. I don't really notice much difference from one end of the room right up to the kit now. I do like the look of them, much sleeker, but thats personal taste. Interms of size and weight, I can now fit mine in my big flight case, limiting my loading and also making much more room in the car. I am very happy with my speaker 'upgrade' and it saved me £100. :)

I would say over everything a client would want the system to be loud enough and good quality for people to have a good time and also still be able to chat. Cients do notice and care about the look though. Recently I had an OCD groom ban any speakers from the venue, especially on poles! This was for the breakfast mind you, but he had a point as they do not fit into a mock tudor/gothic grand hall do they. Having said that - If shown two photos I would hasten to guess that the average client would choose a sleek white Versus over a 15 inch black square sound lab box. :)

TONYTIGER
10-04-2017, 06:41 PM
As well as the aesthetics, there is also the difference in sound, weight and size.

My column speakers are totally different to my RCF 310's and manage to fill the room with sound, rather than directing it. i used to walk past my RCF's and have to place my hand over my ear. I don't really notice much difference from one end of the room right up to the kit now. I do like the look of them, much sleeker, but thats personal taste. Interms of size and weight, I can now fit mine in my big flight case, limiting my loading and also making much more room in the car. I am very happy with my speaker 'upgrade' and it saved me £100. :)

I would say over everything a client would want the system to be loud enough and good quality for people to have a good time and also still be able to chat. Cients do notice and care about the look though. Recently I had an OCD groom ban any speakers from the venue, especially on poles! This was for the breakfast mind you, but he had a point as they do not fit into a mock tudor/gothic grand hall do they. Having said that - If shown two photos I would hasten to guess that the average client would choose a sleek white Versus over a 15 inch black square sound lab box. :)

I totally agree has to look good and sound good.

DJIanScott
11-04-2017, 12:20 PM
Clearly I've been shot down by all the stick converts on here...but rather refreshingly, each to their own, it's good to be different! And I've learned something today...clients are more likely to book DJs with column array speakers. I'll just have to continue to reap bookings on the back of my talent, experience and sound quality instead! How old fashioned!!!

yourdj
11-04-2017, 12:28 PM
clients are more likely to book DJs with column array speakers.

I don't think they would care a less tbh. :)

My personal point was, if asked & shown two photos the average bride may choose the slim white ones over big black ones, but having said that an 18 year old of ex clubbing 30 year old may prefer the larger meatier system. :p

I don't think anything wrong in adding a bit of reinforcement as long as its balanced still and not really bass heavy.

Steven
11-04-2017, 12:48 PM
Its all about having as many boxes ticked for the client as possible.

If it's a choice between me and another DJ who they like as well, but i have the better looking setup that fits in with what they are after then they are more likely to book me.

Or, if you were that way inclined you could charge more for a slimline system or vice versa.

TONYTIGER
12-04-2017, 08:24 AM

If it's a choice between me and another DJ who they like as well, but i have the better looking setup that fits in with what they are after then they are more likely to book me.

Or, if you were that way inclined you could charge more for a slimline system or vice versa.

I agree with over 100 bookings for weddings this year and most sold on the appearance of show it tends to work for me.

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-04-2017, 10:47 AM
I use Evox 8 and have used them for parties of up to 200 at Xmas. They coped very well. I run a business, I don't feel the need to have several P.A.s for different jobs. Just about all of what I need is provided by the Evox.

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-04-2017, 10:49 AM

I think I've had half a dozen people interested in equipment in 30 odd years. "Would you like big speakers or stick speakers?" is not a conversation I think I've ever had...

Excalibur
12-04-2017, 11:12 AM
I think I've had half a dozen people interested in equipment in 30 odd years. "Would you like big speakers or stick speakers?" is not a conversation I think I've ever had...

Usually the most interest I get is " do you have lights" ? :D

rth_discos
12-04-2017, 11:26 AM
I agree with over 100 bookings for weddings this year and most sold on the appearance of show it tends to work for me.

Sorry, but your constant promotion of "success" is purely down to your price, or rather, lack of it.

£245 is not a professional price for wedding disco, and you're simply being booked for being the cheapest.

No wonder your disco is booked on the appearance compared to what other DJs at that price point are going out for.

Excalibur
12-04-2017, 12:40 PM
£245 is not a professional price for wedding disco,

I will tactfully say that a price of circa £250 is not an unusual figure for an evening only disco round here, and in many other places. There will also be quite a few at £500, and a whole lot more under£150, even at some prestigious venues.

Even at the £150 mark, many of those will perform in a professional manner, although it's patently obvious that it's virtually impossible to make a living at those figures. ( Unless you're out seven nights a week ) .:D

We're veering somewhat :offtopic:, so further posts along those lines in this thread may either be deleted, or moved elsewhere, quite possibly to a dedicated thread in Supporters, just so our new recruits have something to get their teeth into. Thank you.

Steven
12-04-2017, 01:11 PM
so further posts along those lines in this thread may either be deleted, or moved elsewhere, quite possibly to a dedicated thread in Supporters, just so our new recruits have something to get their teeth into. Thank you.

If i ever get given access that is ;-)

Excalibur
12-04-2017, 01:17 PM
If i ever get given access that is ;-)

Then what a treat you have in store! :D

Just in case anyone isn't aware, when you scroll down the Forum page (http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forum.php), the Supporters area will appear just below the Gallery, assuming you've been updated.

TONYTIGER
12-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Sorry, but your constant promotion of "success" is purely down to your price, or rather, lack of it.

£245 is not a professional price for wedding disco, and you're simply being booked for being the cheapest.

No wonder your disco is booked on the appearance compared to what other DJs at that price point are going out for.

What a load of rubbish,we are rural no job is more than 15 miles away back home by 1 am at the latest ,and for your information that is a good price and fair one for this area when you have another 30 years under your belt perhaps you can comment till then keep it zipped because this is nothing to do with this thread.

Moderator note: This member has subsequently been banned for frequent outbursts like this. Talking to other members like this is unacceptable (especially when the person he was talking down to has a valid point). He was asked to play nice or go, but refused to play nice. We still strive to keep this forum a friendly, happy place. Sinde remarks & telling people to "zip it" will not be tolerated (regardless of how much experience the person making them has under their belt.

ppentertainments
12-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Usually the most interest I get is " do you have lights" ? :D
Haha - I am always amazed at how many people ask this, makes me wonder if there are DJs around who don't bring lights with them as standard :daft: