PDA

View Full Version : wedding disco

dj-matt1989
19-11-2006, 07:28 PM
hi wonder if anyone can help me. i have my first wedding party in december and im a bit stuck with the types of music you play at weddings. i have a very large selection of 60's to current music but just wondering can anyone helps me with the what sort of songs you play and what time during the night you play them. the booking is 7-12

Ricesnaps
19-11-2006, 08:00 PM
hi wonder if anyone can help me. i have my first wedding party in december and im a bit stuck with the types of music you play at weddings. i have a very large selection of 60's to current music but just wondering can anyone helps me with the what sort of songs you play and what time during the night you play them. the booking is 7-12
There is no hard and fast rule. A wedding is really no different to any other party. Only thing to remember is the first dance, any other "special" dances and maybe music for the couple to leave to if they are doing that.

Best advice is to ask the client what music they like. Unfortunately these days it is unusual for clients, especially wedding clients to say "oh, you know, play whatever works". Most of them like to give at least a little guidance - and if they do, make sure you actually have everything they want and play at least some of it!

Thames Valley Discos
19-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Even if the bride gives you a play list of all 80,s classics. Then when you arrive, all they want is swing and the Rolling stones:confused:

ian8limelight
19-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Matt,

Have a look at this recent thread ........ might give you some ideas.

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4381

future
19-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Try having a look at this site www.bigcheesedisco.com, you will find a lot of the tracks that will be floor fillers as very often a lot of wedding disco music includes cheese and 80s music, I have printed the tracks out and use the list when I have a mental block as most DJs suffer from this from time to time, it has been a godsend for me and hopefully it will give you some ideas aswell.

Charlie

dj-matt1989
19-11-2006, 10:54 PM
cheers guys must admit i have done really well for my first year in business just never come across a wedding before, cheers for all your help:)

Ricesnaps
20-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Even if the bride gives you a play list of all 80,s classics. Then when you arrive, all they want is swing and the Rolling stones:confused:
Unfortunately, as we have discussed in many other threads, wedding clients in particular are being heavily advised to get involved in there entertainment to the point where they are being actively encouraged to provide comprehensive play lists for there DJ's - look at the latest Ipod wedding thread and discussion - this is just the tip of the iceburg.

As some (particularly Crazy) will already know, I am completely not a fan of playlists at all, but I have realised that it is something that I have to embrace to maintain the client base and work I am doing. in the last year, 90% of my work has been weddings. out of that group of gigs, at least 50% of the clients have provided an additional A4 list of songs they would like played (in addition to the request form I already ask them to complete). Add to that the gigs where I have had completely full dance floors by using my knowledge and experience to NOT play what was on the list, only to get angry brides and grooms complaining that I am not playing what they asked me to - so they would prefer I cleared the dance floor and played what they THINK there guests will like rather than allow me to judge the audience and play what they would actually LIKE to dance to?

The bottom line is that however hard you work and however great the crowd is, however full the dance floor is, increasingly we are having to work with bride's and groom's who truely believe they are the experts and not us.

There is a skill to wedding DJing at times and it could form a whole new thread - for example, you need to keep your eye on the bride and assess if whe's danceing, if she's happy. You need to regulary talk to you clients and see how things are going. It is never ever going to be your night, but with your help it can be a fantastic one for the bride and groom.

so to answer the question: "if the bride gives you a play list of all 80,s classics. Then when you arrive, all they want is swing and the Rolling stones", then absolutely yes, I will play 80's classics from the playlist during the night - but I would also talk to the client and make sure the evening was exactly what they wanted. And if that turns out to to be 80's classics when the crowd want rock and roll, well that's life I'm afreaid!

Dragonfly
20-11-2006, 09:06 AM
As some (particularly Crazy) will already know, I am completely not a fan of playlists at all, but I have realised that it is something that I have to embrace to maintain the client base and work I am doing. in the last year, 90% of my work has been weddings. out of that group of gigs, at least 50% of the clients have provided an additional A4 list of songs they would like played (in addition to the request form I already ask them to complete). Add to that the gigs where I have had completely full dance floors by using my knowledge and experience to NOT play what was on the list, only to get angry brides and grooms complaining that I am not playing what they asked me to - so they would prefer I cleared the dance floor and played what they THINK there guests will like rather than allow me to judge the audience and play what they would actually LIKE to dance to?

thats exactly why when i have meetings with clients i always ask them to think about music that them and their friends go out and DANCE to not the music they sit and listen to on a sunday afternoon after a huge roast and before antiques roadshow starts.

i also very truthfully tell them that ive had x amount of experience and know what works at the majority of weddings ..... if they would like to supply a playlist they are more than welcome to do so after all i provide a service to those paying me and will be happy to play their songs .... but is it ok to change it if its not working and noone is dancing/everyone is leaving.

most of the time they will say of course and we want our guests to be able to request songs too..... if they say no then i issue my verbal disclaimer "ok no problem but then im not responsible for what is going on on the dance floor ... after all that is what we do is it not play to a crowd??

i have heard of one dj getting a complete play list....... 8pm beyonce.... 8.04pm sugababes .....8.08pm usher .....etc etc you get the picture.

colinm345
20-11-2006, 09:26 AM
I hope this may help
A client of mine asked his guests beforehand what they would definatly dance to at his wedding and listed below is the result,save for the fact no one danced to Born To Run ,but it was there because it was his favorite:)

Background music
Mix of classic sing-along tunes, and newer ballads. Along the lines of:

Elvis, Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Rolling Stones, Whitney Houston, Eagles, Queen, Eric Clapton, Walker Brothers, Roy Orbison etc through to John Legend, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Oasis, Robbie Williams, current chart etc

First Dance
Can’t Take my Eyes Off You – Andy Williams.
NB Please play the full version and encourage guests to join the bride and groom after the more upbeat part of the song has begun.

Dance tunes
Please note we have asked our guests for their favourite tunes in advance (the ones “guaranteed to get them on the dance floor”!) so please play as many of the following as possible. This is based on a total of 2 hours of dance music, we have asterisked the 20 – 30 songs which we consider essential.

Barn Dance
We have a caller for this who will be using the same equipment as agreed with Alan (Crazy K). Feel free to help yourself to refreshments in the main room whilst this is going on.

Last Dance
We are unsure of how to end the evening and are not keen on the usual New York, New York, so would be very grateful for any suggestions of songs good to finish the evening with!!

Song Artist
**Born to Run Bruce Springsteen
**Build me up Buttercup The Foundations (NB Also the groom’s favourite!)
**Grease Megamix John Travolta, Olivia Newton John
**Living on a Prayer Bon Jovi
**Love Really Hurts Without You Billy Ocean
**Song 2 Blur
**Summer of 69 Bryan Adams
**Wake me up before you go go Wham
*500 Miles The Proclaimers
*Blame it on the Boogie The Jacksons
*Dance the Night Away The Mavericks
*Daydream Believer The Monkees
*Disco Inferno Tina Turner
*I Bet you look good on the Dance Floor Arctic Monkeys
*In the Mood for Dancing The Nolans
*Reach S Club 7
*Sweet Home Alabama Lynyrd Skynyrd
American Pie Don McLean
Atomic Blondie
Band of Gold Freda Payne
Boogie Wonderland Earth, Wind and Fire
Boys are Back in Town Thin Lizzie
Build Me Up, Buttercup Foundations
Celebration Kool and the Gang
Dancing in the Dark Bruce Springsteen
Dancing in the Moonlight Toploader
Dancing Queen Abba
Delilah Tom Jones
First Time Robin Beck
Fools Gold Stone Roses
Girls and Boys Blur
Hi Ho Silver Lining Jeff Beck
Hot Stuff Donna Summer
I believe in a Thing Called Love The Darkness
I think we’re alone now Tiffany
Jimmy Mack Martha and Vandellas
Johnny Be Good ???
Oh What a Night ???
Rescue Me Fontella Bass
Rock Around the Clock Bill Haley & Comets
Stayin’ Alive The Bee Gees
Surfin USA The Beach Boys
Sweet Child of Mine Guns and Roses
Tainted Love Soft Cell
Take on Me A-ha
Three Times a Lady Commodores
Twist & Shout The Beatles
Two Hearts Phil Collins
Uptown Girl Billy Joel
You’re the First , my Last, my Everything Barry White
Young Hearts Run Free Kym Mazelle
Your Love Keeps Lifting me (Higher) Jackie Wilson

Try having a look at this site www.bigcheesedisco.com (http://www.bigcheesedisco.com), you will find a lot of the tracks that will be floor fillers as very often a lot of wedding disco music includes cheese and 80s music, I have printed the tracks out and use the list when I have a mental block as most DJs suffer from this from time to time, it has been a godsend for me and hopefully it will give you some ideas aswell.

Charlie

In my opinion that is one of the most helpful links I have ever seen,as I also suffer at times from those mental blocks(LOL)however I am very easy to please :) :) :) :)

Dragonfly
20-11-2006, 09:38 AM
yep and simon who runs big cheese is a super chap very approachable if you had any questions im sure hed try and help out.

colinm345
20-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Thank you 4 that:)
His PA system is almost the same as mine,save for the fact that I use DB and not RCF:)

Ricesnaps
20-11-2006, 11:26 AM
thats exactly why when i have meetings with clients i always ask them to think about music that them and their friends go out and DANCE to not the music they sit and listen to on a sunday afternoon after a huge roast and before antiques roadshow starts.

i have heard of one dj getting a complete play list....... 8pm beyonce.... 8.04pm sugababes .....8.08pm usher .....etc etc you get the picture.
Which is exactly what I do - I always arange a meeting or two prior to the big day and I always discuss music. The problem is, whatever you say to some people these days, the wedding planners and wedding sites are telling brides the complete oposite. Don't get me wrong, I generally have little problem at wedding these days and as a rule I have full dance floors and happy guests. The problem is, like it or not, whatever we say to our clients, the "i am going to choose what I like to listen to" mindset is getting more and more fans in the wedding market. Yes I have had one or two weddings where I have had to take the bride to one side and sensitively explain why her guests are not wonderfully happy and help her realise that actually it's not my fault at all and maybe she should have considered what her guests liked to dance to like I had explained before hand....

just saying that's the market we are heading into these days

Dragonfly
20-11-2006, 11:29 AM
i agree rice totally apologies if it sounded like i was critisizing wasnt meant to have heard good stuff about what you do .:D :D