PDA

View Full Version : DENON PRIME 4

djdj
17-01-2019, 03:36 PM
https://www.westenddj.co.uk/blog/prime-4-standalone-denon-dj-controller/

Any one want to give me £1500???????????

Imagine
17-01-2019, 07:35 PM
https://www.westenddj.co.uk/blog/prime-4-standalone-denon-dj-controller/

Any one want to give me £1500???????????

I know......adorable isn't it :)
I want one....but my MCX7000 is only a year old so can't justify it......yet

Benny Smyth
18-01-2019, 07:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wew1uz1jqLE

It has piqued my interest enough to go and have a play. I don't like the look of the UI but that is a minor thing and would be quite petty if the rest of the controller is really good.

Nakatomi
18-01-2019, 09:24 AM
I've been totally uninterested in big controllers. Until now. Let me at it! :D

I just hope it a) works reliably and b) doesn't have the now infamous permanent low pass filter on everything that the 5000 prime players have.

Excalibur
18-01-2019, 09:31 AM
And how long have people been asking for machines like this? A long time.
Me, I think I'll wait till ADJ bring out their version for about £500.

Then I'll buy a VMS5.:)

mattydj50
19-01-2019, 07:39 PM
It could even tempt me into the world of digitalism, if it were less quiddage.

DJ Jules
20-01-2019, 07:01 AM
Then I'll buy a VMS5.:)

Having now owned a MC6000 and a VMS5, I'd never buy a VMS5 again. Yes, the Denon is quite a lot more money, but you get workable low noise Mic inputs and it's a whole Kg lighter :D

djdj
22-01-2019, 01:37 PM
Having now owned a MC6000 and a VMS5, I'd never buy a VMS5 again. Yes, the Denon is quite a lot more money, but you get workable low noise Mic inputs and it's a whole Kg lighter :D

I use both regularly, Yes the 6000 is a better machine no question but for the money the VMS is a stable work horse! :beer1:

stormproductions
22-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Swiss army knife of DJ controllers...

Standalone system...

Everything but the kitchen sink...?

But I can't see where the CDs go. Anybody?

djdj
22-01-2019, 01:48 PM
Swiss army knife of DJ controllers...

Standalone system...

Everything but the kitchen sink...?

But I can't see where the CDs go. Anybody?

What's a CD? I need to know what Stylus it takes and can it play at 78rpm :daft:

stormproductions
22-01-2019, 02:01 PM
But I was serious about the CDs!!

DJ Jules
22-01-2019, 09:28 PM
I use both regularly, Yes the 6000 is a better machine no question but for the money the VMS is a stable work horse! :beer1:

I feel like I'm detracting from this post now, but mine didn't make it out of the warranty period before faders and buttons started failing (multiple of them).

rth_discos
22-01-2019, 09:34 PM
I'm seeing posts elsewhere saying 'is this the end of laptop dj'ing'.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is any different to DJ'ing on a laptop.

We still have a controller and a screen setup, with music stored on some form of hard drive.

I'm surprised that controllers haven't evolved to connect up with iPads - to save them creating a proprietary screen like this. Because that's essentially what this is.

Sorry, but I don't see the attraction.

Imagine
22-01-2019, 09:42 PM
I'm surprised that controllers haven't evolved to connect up with iPads

They have - they're made by Reloop.
That said, my first player when I started back up (a Numark MixTrack) had an iPhone slot in it!

The thing that really worries me with these is when something goes wrong. I REALLY like the idea of the all-in-one unit (and those that I know that have the MCX8000 or the Pioneer equivalents) really rate them.

Unfortunately, my order for one of these beasts is now on hold as an unnecessary expense for the foreseeable seeing as I've been served with a redundancy notice from my full time job and am now a full time DJ :o

ppentertainments
23-01-2019, 02:28 PM
I'm seeing posts elsewhere saying 'is this the end of laptop dj'ing'.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is any different to DJ'ing on a laptop.

We still have a controller and a screen setup, with music stored on some form of hard drive.

I'm surprised that controllers haven't evolved to connect up with iPads - to save them creating a proprietary screen like this. Because that's essentially what this is.

You have a good point - a £300 laptop and a £600 controller can do a lot more than this, never really thought about it. Yeah it is all-in-one but does plugging a usb into a laptop and sitting it on a stand take long ?

Excalibur
23-01-2019, 06:06 PM

Jaundiced old me thinks that a lot of the attraction is " the iphone effect". Must have the latest/biggest/poshest as soon as it hits the shelves. Having said that, it does look very interesting. It's something that's been asked for before.

Hey Shaun, here's your successor to the HD2500!! :Laugh:

They have - they're made by Reloop.
That said, my first player when I started back up (a Numark MixTrack) had an iPhone slot in it!
I had one with the iphone slot, too.

The thing that really worries me with these is when something goes wrong. I REALLY like the idea of the all-in-one unit (and those that I know that have the MCX8000 or the Pioneer equivalents) really rate them.

For me, the VMS4/5 with two channels switched to analog offers best of both worlds.

Shaun
24-01-2019, 09:37 AM
Hey Shaun, here's your successor to the HD2500!! :Laugh:

If only it was 19" rack mountable.

I have a Pioneer RX2,which is very similar to the above (only 2 chan though). Just a little too wide for my micro booth.

I'll stick to my Hd2500 for now:D

ppentertainments
24-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Just a little too wide for my micro booth.

Big failing for me I think - why make a groundbreaking playout system that isn't suitable for the booths a lot of people are using.

Nakatomi
24-01-2019, 04:17 PM
Big failing for me I think - why make a groundbreaking playout system that isn't suitable for the booths a lot of people are using.

Trying to cram all those lovely features into a narrower unit would be pointless IMHO. The majority of mobile djs can't /won't /don't mix so the majority of this thing's features would be superfluous anyway.

Benny Smyth
24-01-2019, 04:32 PM
Trying to cram all those lovely features into a narrower unit would be pointless IMHO. The majority of mobile djs can't /won't /don't mix so the majority of this thing's features would be superfluous anyway.

Boom. This won't be aimed at the typical mobile jock - this will be more for the Club DJ.

The idea of an all-in-one sounds nice, but I do think that it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I know some DJs see the laptop as a 'barrier' between them and their audience (all 15 or 17 inches of it), but Gavin's pretty much nailed it with his assessment (Traktor Kontrollers can also be connected to an iPad, by the way).

I like it, but I don't see me buying in yet for two reasons: firstly, that UI irks further me the more I look at it and secondly, I want to see this concept be around for a while and taken up by a couple more manufacturers before I'll be confident in the idea's reliability. I'm more than happy watching this one play out for a bit.

ppentertainments
24-01-2019, 06:30 PM
True - and the mobile market is a very very small % of sales for these manufacturers.

Nakatomi
24-01-2019, 08:03 PM
True - and the mobile market is a very very small % of sales for these manufacturers.

It'd be really nice to see either a USB audio interface for tablets with builtin mic channels though. Or even a revamped hd2500 alike. Maybe with WiFi for a user interface on a tablet...

Nakatomi
31-01-2019, 11:18 AM
Oh look! Gemini are getting in on the game now too..

https://www.digitaldjtips.com/2019/01/first-look-gemini-sdj-4000-standalone-system/

Seems to have everything a mobile needs.. 2 mics.. it's a bit of a beast like the bigger Denons though. Hrm.

Edit: Just seen this!!! The SDJ-4000 is getting a little brother!

No news on pricing or specs of the SDJ-2000 pictured above yet but the SDJ-4000 is expected to retail at $1000

rth_discos
31-01-2019, 05:02 PM
I think the next stage (which I'll wait for) is a mixer that comes with an operating system like android built in, that can run apps.

That gives more flexibility over the software used.

In the meantime, I get way more features out of virtual dj on a laptop.

If the presence of a laptop was the issue, the newest tablets running windows would be more than capable and could be placed more discretely.

However, the laptop had never shown to be an issue. I do feel this current range is trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

djdj
23-05-2019, 03:36 PM
Denon have now announced (finally) that their Prime hardware has built in wifi and will be able to stream music directly from various providers without involving a computer.

https://www.denondj.com/denon-dj-announces-worlds-first-streaming-capability-in-standalone-dj-hardware

Nakatomi
23-05-2019, 11:31 PM
Still no actual release date as yet though.

DJ Jules
24-05-2019, 03:13 PM
Still no actual release date as yet though.

Supposedly in the country and with distributors now. Believe it when I see it...

I did wonder if they're stalling to capitalise on the attention and prevent it cannibalising sales of the existing prime single deck players (though it's probably done that already).

Julian