PDA

View Full Version : Slosh

dolly
05-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Recently I was asked about the 'Slosh'. I was told that this is danced to a scottish country tune. Can anyone help?
Cheers

Shaun
05-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi Dolly. Happy belated birthday..a few days ago wasn't it?.

Popular slosh songs incude:

Daniel Boone - Beautiful Sunday
Dawn - Knock Three Times
Tony Christie - is this the way to amarillo
...even the 'vengaboys - 'shalalala'

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Shaun

For the benefit of others (and me), can you explain exactly what the 'slosh' is?

Cheers.

Shaun
05-12-2006, 03:48 PM
It's very hard to explain the actual 'slosh' dance itself. Basically it's a type of popular line dance up here in Scotland. It's not normally done to Scottish music though. It's been very popular with young and old alike since the 70's, although I'm not entirely sure of it's origins.

I'll try post the moves in detail later when I have a little more spare time.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-12-2006, 03:59 PM
I'll try post the moves in detail later when I have a little more spare time.

Perhaps a small video with you demonstrating?:D :eek:

soundtracker
05-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Its not just Scotland- they do the same in the Welsh Valleys - Englebert "Ten Guitars" is very popular!

Shaun
05-12-2006, 04:05 PM
I've learnt something new. I thought the dance was just a regional thing up North. Pete..maybe you can do the demonstation video Daz requires..lol :D

soundtracker
05-12-2006, 04:33 PM
I'd love to - but I've never seen it! I can "Do the Huclebuck" if you like!!!

CRAZY K
05-12-2006, 04:51 PM
I'd love to - but I've never seen it! I can "Do the Huclebuck" if you like!!!

Stand by Darren ere we go---its a Line Dance as far as I know and goes like this--

Grapevine to the left or shuffle two steps to the left--kick right foot or brush inside of left foot

Grapevine to the right or shuffle two steps to the right--kick left foot or brush inside of right foot

Grapevine to the left or shuffle two steps to the left--kick right foot or brush inside of left foot

Back to the right and flick left leg (like Donkey Flick at football) and touch your left foot with right hand which is now behind your back---immediately turn quarter ( 90 degrees) to the right

Raise right leg and SLAP with left or hand--or right if you are lazy :D

Raise left leg and CLAP both hands together under the raised left leg

START AGAIN

Most music will do--Achy Breaky Heart is what ill be using Saturday night when I call this one, if your near Braintree do come along:D :D :D

No doubt there are different regional versions--I saw this one on a Line Dance Video:eek:

Now Darren, ready??? 5.6.7.8

If you want to know how to do the Alley Cat I charge for that!!!!!!

CRAZY K

Shaun
05-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Crazy K...spot on my friend. That's how it's done here.

axeman
05-12-2006, 04:57 PM
its popular here in the north east too, or at least it was during the 70s & early 80s, its not often seen now, but occasionally if the right crowd and the right song come together - "uptown girl" and a group of 40 to 50 y/o women, with good memories then hey presto - the slosh

CRAZY K
05-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Crazy K...spot on my friend. That's how it's done here.

Interesting, the video i saw was made in Scotland and featured that well known Line dancing King and Country singer---Scotlands very own Sydney Devine---who he you ask:eek:

So can I use this as a Scottish Country Dance as well:D :D :D :D :D :D

Excellent!

CRAZY K

Corabar Entertainment
05-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Ah - I remember that from the early '80's. Always used to be done at all the Irish do's as well. Not seen it in many a year now though, and I never knew it had a name!!! :p

Corabar Steve
05-12-2006, 05:48 PM
How many of you have short memories? We had a thread about this a little over a year ago.

Another good one is Christie - Yellow river

Candybeatdiscos
05-12-2006, 11:35 PM
The slosh as Shaun mentioned is very popular especially to Beautiful Sunday & Tony Christies Amarillo, in fact at a free concert two years ago, Falkirk FC who have amarillo as thier theme tune, invited Tony Christie to come along to "Big @ Falkirk" and sing it whilst the team danced the slosh along with a crowd of 100'000. I was there and interviewed Tony....

Anyhow another excellent track to dance the slosh to is Brotherhood of Man's Figaro...

Eevery gig i can i get the ladies up to do the slosh

Tonsk
06-12-2006, 09:59 AM
I used to always see it done to Crystal Chandeliers

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-12-2006, 06:42 PM
How many of you have short memories? We had a thread about this a little over a year ago.

And you're supposed to remember every single thead in the last year?:bang:

Corabar Entertainment
06-12-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm sure he imagined it anyway :p

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-12-2006, 06:54 PM

Probably.

Let's talk about Steve 'cos he's not here.:D

Corabar Steve
06-12-2006, 08:00 PM

Probably.

Let's talk about Steve 'cos he's not here.:D

Yes I am & no I didn't.

& it was quite a long thread as I recall

Corabar Entertainment
06-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Yes I am & no I didn't.Don't you mean "No I didn't and yes I am" ;)
& it was quite a long thread as I recallProve it! :p

Corabar Steve
06-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Don't you mean "No I didn't and yes I am" ;) Prove it! :p

I was answering Daz first :ner:

If Richie hadn't deleted it, I would :mad: :D

soundmaster mobile disco
17-12-2006, 09:15 PM
:D well the slosh is certianly popular in scotland,almost every wedding reception that i do its usually a case of ive not played the slosh tune yet i wonder how long it will be before the ladies come and ask for it.
most recently i have had a request for the slosh at some of my xmas party nights, i have found that it all depends on the age group of your crowd,its mostly requested by older women rather than the young ones.
i always remember last year at a wedding in a scots castle i had to teach some spanish girls how to do the slosh,they thoufgt that it was great once they got the hang of it

CRAZY K
17-12-2006, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=dj gaz64;82881]:D well the slosh is certianly popular in scotland,almost every wedding reception that i do its usually a case of ive not played the slosh tune yet i wonder how long it will be before the ladies come and ask for it.

So how do YOU do it Gaz?

I use this for Line Dancing---

Grapevine to the right or shuffle two steps to the right--kick left foot or brush inside of right foot

Back to the right and flick left leg (like Donkey Flick at football) and touch your left foot with right hand which is now behind your back---immediately turn quarter ( 90 degrees) to the right

Raise right leg and SLAP with left or hand--or right if you are lazy

Raise left leg and CLAP both hands together under the raised left leg

START AGAIN

CRAZY K