PDA

View Full Version : Rackmount PC

Mission
05-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Looking to do a Rackmount PC over the next month or so, so then the laptop can become a backup or Visa Versa.

Just wondering if its possibe to build one into a 2up case or would that be too tight/not possibe ? I know everything would have to be on the motherboard (no Cards) to do this.

Failing that perhaps build a chassis to fit in a 6up and put in the amp etc as well. Would there be any problams having the amp so close to the PC ?

I like Dan's version but don't have a rack mounted mixer so, just a standard ABS flightcase or maybe a covered wood version.

Cheers

Tone

TonyB
05-12-2006, 08:14 PM
You can get a 4U rack mount PC case from Ebay for £20 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4u-Rack-Mount-Case-19-for-DJ-USE-buy-it-now-only-20_W0QQitemZ260061165708QQihZ016QQcategoryZ69965QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem As long as the amp was at the top, I don't see that there would be a problem with cooling as long as there is a good through draft through the case.

4one4 Sound Solutions
05-12-2006, 08:34 PM
If you want a custom built PC my Bro can do you one very reasonably with top of the range components.

PM me if your interested and i'll forward his details to you.

spin mobile disco
05-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Please remember heat dissapation from a PC is crucial for stability. Placing it next to an amp may cause a problem if the amp is either very warm in use or block ventalation from Pc chassis.
If you use a cpu that doesnt produce much heat you shouldnt have a problem with chassis mounting but I think 3U is more realistic than 2U due to the amount of hardware required. If you can find a micro atx board with built on video card you can get a right angle pci adapter to make a good soundcard fit the chassis.

Tip buy amd chip as they run cooler than intel.

Buy a good PSU as a cheap one will not be as reliable long term.

Have a look at the mac mini computer it is about 1u high and can fit on a 19" rack tray.

Mission
05-12-2006, 09:10 PM
You can get a 4U rack mount PC case from Ebay for £20 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4u-Rack-Mount-Case-19-for-DJ-USE-buy-it-now-only-20_W0QQitemZ260061165708QQihZ016QQcategoryZ69965QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem As long as the amp was at the top, I don't see that there would be a problem with cooling as long as there is a good through draft through the case.

Yes did see those on ebay and good value but looked a bit of a monster. But I'm sure they would protect the contents well though.

BeerFunk
05-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Before you continue.. would you not prefer to wait for the new generation of digital MP3 decks?

Danno13
05-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Before you continue.. would you not prefer to wait for the new generation of digital MP3 decks?

Might be waiting a while though... not only for release but enough time to make sure they work ok and there are no major bugs..

PC systems are "tried and tested" if you like...

BeerFunk
05-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Well, we know that PC DJing is in most cases pretty good - but there are exceptions, and countless things that could go wrong if you don't know exactly what you're doing..

spin mobile disco
05-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Cortex digital decks are out now with the numark due in january and the dennon feb - march.

BeerFunk
05-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Denon is due Jan/Feb in Europe, believe me, I'm keeping a close eye on it! :D

Paul James Promotions
05-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Denon is due Jan/Feb in Europe, believe me, I'm keeping a close eye on it! :D

Me too :)

Now all we need is one that plays Karaoke aswell :p

dannyboy
06-12-2006, 12:23 AM
This may help

http://www.xcase.co.uk/acatalog/Rackmount_Systems_.html

With regards to mounting it with the amp, there could be heat issues as mentioned earlier in the thread.

I have also heard about the effect of the magnetic field produced by the amp to have an effect on the computer.

Simarly in an ideal situation you would segregate the signal cables from the Power cables.

spin mobile disco
06-12-2006, 12:54 AM
I was told denon would most likely ship late due to component shortage but it may just be someones blag. Also if you look at the details on it it isnt actually working yet it wasnt working when it was seen on demo. may indicate a last minute flaw. Wouldnt be the first time they delayed anyone remember when the new playstation was due lol on release day 6 months late only a 1000 units shipped worldwide.

Mind you cortex hdc 1000 is about £450 the Numark is the £480 mark and the dennon is suppost to be the £700 - £800 mark so for me it'll be a choice between numark d2 or cortex.

P.S if any of you have been looking at the cortex they have just bought out an update that now allows string search with a usb keyboard. Other than size of screen this was the only main difference between the D2 and hdc1000.