Are you serious? You essentially stopped the entertainment until he sang? :eek:

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Taking a bit of a chance there really!

What if he didn't come back at all?

Paul James Promotions
10-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Are you being serious?

Nominating a friend for a track (usually something silly) is part of the fun of Karaoke!

Paul James Promotions
10-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Yes it is part of the fun, but when the person nominated knows nothing about it, hasn't agreed to do it and probably feels embarassed to the point when it would ruin their evening then it's not part of the fun.

The rule is simple, if the person nominated doesn't want to do it then the person submitting it does, most times there isn't a problem and the nominated person gets up to do it and has a laugh and I have no problem with that.

If you are out with a group of friends you should know who's game for a laugh and who's really not going to feel comfortable getting up to do karaoke, this just turns the tables on the 'joker'.

I started doing this about 3 years ago when someone got really upset when they were nominated without their knowledge, like I said it works for me so I am going to keep doing it.

Mossy

I can see where you're coming from, but i've never had a situation where it has caused problems.

Digitalsounds
10-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Even if your cutomers have little choice, I have to say if you were one of my jocks then you'd have been sacked as your there to provide entertainement in the form of karaoke, not there to throw a stropp and stop for a hour because you've had to get a disc out and cue it and some one doesn't want to sing never heard so much rubbish.

Digitalsounds
10-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Whoa, excuse me but I didn't 'throw a stropp'

If that's your take on my post then maybe you should re-read it again, only more thoroughly.

And I see the reason I am there is to to make the evening enjoyable for everyone, once the idiots are sorted out it usually is.

Mossy

I have read it , and i think your attitude to the whole situation is wrong karaoke is about having a laugh and abit of fun just cause someones mate sets them up for a song and aint told them is not an excuse for the KJ to halt the proceedings you'd probably end up upsetting other reg's who want to sing so i feel that possibly your more in the wrong by halting the karaoke and wrecking it for every one else i would say that most publicains wouldn't take kindly to this attitude venues we work at.

BeerFunk
11-12-2006, 12:12 AM
I have to say, at all the successful karaoke nights I've attended, there's no way you would get away with that! Even the few karaoke's I've hosted, I struggle to get all the singers up in a fair rotation system. I couldn't imagine the hassle I would get I decided to halt the karaoke :(

BeerFunk
11-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Yeah, but if these people who want to sing don't know this guy, you are inviting trouble. I can see how it might work in a regular karaoke night, where it's the same faces every week though.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-12-2006, 12:31 AM
I can see how it might work in a regular karaoke night, where it's the same faces every week though.

Which is what Mossy was talking about?

I'm sure I'll be corrected though if I was wrong:o

colinm345
11-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Well we have been doing karaoke for 11 years now and a lot of it even for Microsoft and Virgin trains and we agree that if a person or persons get out of hand we will halt it just for a couple of minuites or so till its sorted out

We have only had to do this twice so far :)

DK Karaoke
11-12-2006, 09:11 PM
I can understand how a KJ feels when some joker, or jokers put in request slips and then dont sing.

We had this only two days ago. The first five request slips put in were all jokees, the pub was a new venue for me, but quickly found out the type of people who usually frequent the place.

This obviously caused delay in getting up those singers who did want to sing, much to their annoyance.

I must admit I would not stop a karaoke, just for the sake of stopping to prove a point, after all I am just there providing the entertainment, and being paid to do so. As long as the delay is clearly seen as due to joke or false requests, then I am seen as the poor KJ who is being messed around, and those people who really do want to sing, are fully behind me.

As it happened these joke requests were all put in by the beer guzzling blokes in the pub, with the real requests being put in by the females. I used this to my advantage, by announcing that it seemed the females in the pub, were outdoing the blokes and perhaps the blokes could not sing.

This quickly solved the problem, with genuine requests coming from both men and women.

Needless to say, I did not extend the gig, but finished dead on 11 o'clock. I had the punters come up to me, to say, that drinking time was up to 11:30pm and I was to continue, but as far as I was concerned, I was paid only to 11, also I decided this place was not for me, so I replied to each punter in turn, 'drinking time, may not be up, but the Karaoke time is up'. end of.

Mossy
11-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Well we have been doing karaoke for 11 years now and a lot of it even for Microsoft and Virgin trains and we agree that if a person or persons get out of hand we will halt it just for a couple of minuites or so till its sorted out

We have only had to do this twice so far :)

Yeah but Microsoft are used to things just suddenly stopping for no reason, they probably think it's normal

Mossy

colinm345
12-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Nice One!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D but we never stop without good reason

dannyboy
12-12-2006, 04:48 AM
Interesting twist to solve false requests.

I personally just announce who is up next give them till the end of the following song or so, to come up.

If not they go to the bottom of the list.

If the person approched me "I was on the loo/At the bar" Etc and genuinly missed I would slip them in at the next convenient point.

If I use "text request" I have replied to the number the request was text from.

But not good with faces, I wouldn't be able to remember who put what request in .

Dragonfly
12-12-2006, 07:47 AM
think if id cued something up and someone didnt want to sing it if i did karaoke id probably just have a stab at it myself ...... if i murdered the song just say something like " well if bob had have sung it it probably wouldnt have been nailed to the cross" :D

Dazzy D
15-03-2007, 12:42 AM
I've done that a lot in the past. If the singer doesn't get up, I'll give it a go if I have some idea of how it goes. I use a 301 disc multi-changer so it's only a matter of seconds before I can get the next singer up. However, unlike some others posting in this thread, I can see Mossys point of view. If some joker puts in a song request for someone who's painfully shy and only out with friends, then it can be distressing for that person being called up to sign. If shaming the guilty joker works for Mossy then good on him.