PDA

View Full Version : wireless modem problem

djgordyp
17-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi I know this isn't dj or disco related, but seeing as a lot of you seem to be very technically minded, I am hopeing you could help me out.

Last Sunday I bought a D_link Wirless modem & usb adaptor. Firstly it took me 4 hours to get it set up and connected to the internet. Secondly (this is the bit I need help with), after some use the lights on the adaptor go out and the computer freezes. It could happen before I can log on, it may happen after a couple of hours. I have called their customer support on a couple of occassions and none of their suggestions have made any difference ie moved the adaptor to a different port and reinstalled the drivers but still the problem exists. I would take it back to Argos but the receipt has been lost.

I wonder is this a problem with D_link. Last year my sister bought the same package and I remember the same problem with the lights going out on the adaptor, not to mention trying to get it set up to connect to the internet. She eventually took it back to the shop she bought it from and got a Belkin instead and we had that set up in half the time

Paul James Promotions
17-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Have you checked the power management settings in Device Manager? Sometimes a PC will switch off USB ports to save power.

Jamie

djgordyp
17-12-2006, 06:32 PM
If you mean the power setting for the adaptor itself I have the constantly awake mode enabled. If it is the case that the computer is switching off the usb ports then there must be somthing wrong when it is causing the computer to freeze.

BTW, I have a usb sound card and the light doesn't go out on it, that would suggest that the ports aren't being switched off. I wish now I had waited and bought a belkin.

colinm345
17-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Most have a control panel which can be assessed by typing in something like 192.168.1.2 or similar when you get there you will need to reconfigure the settings from there

If it is any consolation we have 4 comps in the house all working off a Belkin Router and my desktop is the only one where I have wireless adaptor trouble so much so that I have converted back to the good old solid Ethernet wire direct to our Belkin router

djgordyp
18-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Yes I have used the control panel. I ended up having to go through the in depth manual on the cd to get onto the net but I can't remember what I did that finally got me online. So much for their claim of getting connected in eight clicks. My advice is don't by a dlink.

I have been asked to set up a wireless modem for a freind. I just hope its something other than a dlink.