PDA

View Full Version : Pro DJ Show 2007

Pee Cee
21-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Hello everyone,

Just a quick post to announce the Pro DJ Show 2007 is underway.

Pro DJ Show 2007
The Conference Centre
Lancaster University (M6 jnc 33)
Lancashire

Sunday March 25th 2007
10am - 4pm

please check the website for updates and details: www.prodjshow.co.uk

This show is a totally new idea that has been worked on behind the scenes now for some time.. in fact not long after The Mobile DJ Show in Coalville.

After planning The Mobile DJ Show in coalville which was a success I soon figured out that having a single room full of exhibitors was all well and good but didn't really offer the working DJ anything new.

So enter the Pro DJ Show.

This show features, Seminars, Workshops, DJ Rig displays, Separate exhibition rooms for Audio and Lighting and a separate Traders room.

The structure of the show alone allows it to run much more smoothly and enables us to control specific environments for each.. which in the past has often been a point of discussion from past shows.

Also this Show is 100% funded by myself without any 3rd party assistance, this means it is truly 100% Independent.
We do not have to answer to anyone, so it's a gloves off kind of show.

Hopefully there sill be something for everybody at this show and also the very first one ever held in the North West.

I organised the first public DJ show back in 2005, and learned what could be done to make it a better experience all round,, this year that becomes a reality.

Another point which might interest some of you guys is that in no way is this Show affiliated with any DJ Forum. No favouritism or control exists between the Show and a Forum.

Well there it is.. although this is an announcement I welcome feedback of any kind. After all this is designed to be a show for you guys "The Working DJ", so feel free to let me know what you want from a show. if I have not already included it, there is still time to make further arrangements.

I have hired an entire Conference Centre for the day so plenty of nooks and crannies to fill up.

Thanks for reading and I hope to see some if not all of you there.

Pee Cee
22-01-2007, 11:54 AM
I presume I posted this in the correct section?

If not feel free to relist it where suitable.

Also... if MDD would like to exhibit or promote at the show, let me know.
I have reserved some Booth space for now in case the Forums want to attend i na promotional capacity.

If anyone knows of any other organisations etc,, that will benefit DJs directly, then let me know and I'll see about them being there on the day also.

Thanks.

Corabar Steve
22-01-2007, 11:59 AM
I presume I posted this in the correct section?

If not feel free to relist it where suitable.It's fine where it is.

Pee Cee
28-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Lot's of views... no comments.. hehe

Does including Educational Seminars and Workshops, interest any of you?

More so than simply looking around a room full of exhibitors, probably the same ones you see at every other industry event?

Also Split rooms.
Good ro bad idea? Is it important enough. I have read various sources of complaint form past events where people have stated it was either too loud or smokey or lighting kept blinding them whilst trying to look at non-lighting products.

Any feedback would be great, after all this event is for you guys.. so I want to make it as beneficial as possible for you.

Corabar Entertainment
28-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Would be interested to know what sort of "Educational Seminars and Workshops"?? :)

pdarnett
28-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Have you got a list of exhibitors to tease us with yet, Phil?????

cara
28-01-2007, 11:49 PM
sounds good, i'll probably go to this

theoloyla
29-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Well Done and Best Of Luck with the show. I might even come myself. On a point of info however there have been lots of dj exhibitions in the northwest (Manchester, Southport, Liverpool, Bolton etc etc) so I am afraid yours is not the first.

jamesh
29-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Actually Theo.... Phil was one of the first to organise a successful mobile dj related show before quite a few others that sprung up over the past couple of years...

theoloyla
31-01-2007, 02:41 PM
I am talking about exhibitions back as far as Liverpool 1975 organized by the old NADJ

Pee Cee
31-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Well of course there have been DJ shows for many years..

What I refer to when I say the First is the First of this type of show.

Seminars, Workshops, DJ Rig displays, etc.. and not just exhibitors or an Association type show.

But that's not what this show is about, to be the first one or not.. it's about hosting an event FOR DJs where they can learn things and share ideas, rather than walk around a hall a few times.

As for Seminars.. well I am still building up the list but for tasters we have;

Pro Audio 1 (basic)
Pro Audio 2 (Advanced)
Connector & Cable Management
Tech Talk, Demo and Q&A by PCDJ UK
Tech Talk, Demo and Q&A by Gemini/Cortex

with some other very good ones in the line up being confirmed.

Each Seminar will be between 45mins - 1hour.
All seminars are FREE, except there may be a special after hours seminar hosted by Industry Pro's which may be chargable to cover their time and efforts, but this will be kept to a maximum of £2 per head.

As for Exhibitor lists, well there we have the same old, same old really.. nothing new there except maybe LFX.

I already have a strategy and other shows planned for the future,, but I am keeping a lot of that info close to my chest for the time being.

Let's just say it's going to open things up for a lot of DJs. ;)

theoloyla
31-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Hope it goes well for you.

Pee Cee
31-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Thank you Theo.

I just hope the greater DJing community take advantage of the opportunity to learn new things and share ideas.

From the feedback I have gathered it looks very promising.

Pee Cee
02-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Just a quick note to let everyone know that anyone wishing to Pre-register for the show and pay online can do so.

This helps you get a speedy entry to the show and also saves you a whopping 50 pence.

Pre-Registration Payment is £2.50

Payment link can be found on the Pro DJ Show index page.

thank you.

Pee Cee
10-02-2007, 02:43 AM
The NADJ has now finally come onboard, it seems the contact I was sending my emails to was out of the country for a few weeks.

So anyway, they have confirmed.

Will the MDD or MDA be thinking about attending?

Exhibitor space to promote the fprums or association, and/or seminar room time for a mini forum meet-up?

Let me know so I can pencil it all in.

:)

Min Me
22-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Whos gonna be there

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Whos gonna be there

Have you had a look at the site? http://www.prodjshow.co.uk/

Pee Cee
24-02-2007, 03:53 AM
Seminar Update!

Seminar Room 5

10:15am - Basic Audio Seminar
11:15am - Break
11:30am - NADJ
12:15pm - Break
12:30pm - Basic Sound Seminar 2
1:30pm - Break
1:45pm - Cortex Seminar
2:45pm - Break
3:00 - Advanced Sound Seminar
4:30pm - End and Close.

Seminar Room 6

10:15am - DMX Workshop
11:15am - Break
11:30am - Cables and Connectors Workshop
12:30pm - Break
1:15pm - NADJ
2:00pm - Break
2:15pm - Cables and Connectors Workshop 2
3:15pm - Break
3:30pm - DMX Workshop 2
4:30pm - End and Close.

Thsi info is preliminary, every presentation is confirmed, however the timings may be subject to change, but this gives you an idea of who and for how long they should all be.

Pee Cee
01-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Seminars have changed around a little.

DMX and Audio seminars are now in the same room

Also we will have a couple of Outdoor Demonstrations of Effects units (weather Permitting).

These will be announced before hand and also detailed on information postings around the venue on the day.

Possible inlcusion on the website when schedules have been finalised.

Pee Cee
01-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Woops..
Forgot to add to my last post, however it serves better being spearate anyway...

I might possibly be at Sounds Expo, at Olympia 2 on Saturday from about 11:30am onwards, and be in London until approx 7pm, so if anyone is attending or in the area,then I might spot you and say "hello I'm a dodgy geezer of the net"

I will confirm this proposed trip by tomorrow night. (Friday)

gillo
20-03-2007, 07:11 PM
im definaetly going see you there:d

jamesh
21-03-2007, 01:14 AM
Yep me too.... For those that can't make it there is talk that there will be a show streaming live from the event online all day.... Music, highlights of show as they happen, interviews plus maybe even a seminar or 2 live on the web.... Just sorting out all the techie stuff at the moment.... To see if all is possible... there will be some sort of show during the day via online radio any way!

Pee Cee
21-03-2007, 03:27 AM
Here's a quick run down on Exhibitors / attendees and also main product brands that are being fully supported within the show.

DJ Show North
BPM Show
Prolight Concepts
Cookies
DENON
LFX Group
Phase One
Pro Mobile Magazine
NADJ
The Disc Jockey Association
Mixmash
West Coast Radio
Cortex
Buster Cases
Ultimax
Fohhn

Companies being supported:

Pioneer Pro
Wharfedale Pro
McGregor
Numark D2 + other new products
Kam

Seminars include:

Basic Sound
Advanced Sound
Cables & Connectors
Denon
DJA
NADJ
Cortex (on own stand)

Information available from:

Musicians Union
DJ Academy
+more being confirmed this week.

Falling Frog
21-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Yep if you can't make it tune in to the radio show with your hosts James H, Danno and Myself!

jamesh
21-03-2007, 10:09 PM
mms://energy10.egihosting.com/487376

Will be the link to anyone wanting to listen into the Pro DJ Show Radio Stream from 10am - 4pm on Sunday 25th March 2007...

Will have interviews with exhibitors and people at the show.... Going to try and stream a selection of the seminars too where possible but still working out the technicalities of that.... Will be music and a bit of a chat too... Oh and a number to phone for requests or a chat as we as a text line number.... So should all be happening on the stream...

jamesh
22-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Just to update this with the contact details of the Radio show Running 10am - 4pm

Using windows media player goto open and copy and paste this link

mms://energy10.egihosting.com/487376

If you want to phone in the studio during the day

02078 710 714 (skype in number)

Text the studionumber is

07968 289 986

Email

[email protected]

Numbers and email will be available from 10am - 4pm on Sunday 25th March 2007 only....

Falling Frog
25-03-2007, 06:01 AM
Woohoo can't wait 30 mins till you pick me up - havent been to bed yet (**** work!) pro plus all the way!

conor
25-03-2007, 08:07 PM
i went to the pro dj show today i found it really interesting but the only problem was about 15 people turned up:( but it was useful anyway

hardly any of them turned up1

Corabar Entertainment
25-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Hi Connor! Why not start a thread in the newbies section to introduce yourself to all the other forum members?

So not many people went along to the show? That's a shame. :(

soundtracker
25-03-2007, 08:55 PM
It was a shame, Phil should be commended for the amount of hard work he put into the event. Its strange that for the last few years, I've seen comments lie "Plasa aren't interested in DJs, we should have our own show" Yet when someone gets off their backside and does it - people can't be arsed to support it. The unfortunate thing is that this type of apathy makes manufacturers wonder whether supporting DJs is actually worthwhile.

Corabar Entertainment
25-03-2007, 09:39 PM
I agree Pete.

DJs do seem to be their own worst enemy and apathy seems to rule. To achieve anything requires an effort by EVERYONE not just a few. DJs seem to want everything handed to them on a plate without any effort on their part, and, considering they are 'MOBILE' DJs, it seems that most are reluctant to travel further than the end of their road unless it's for a gig!

I know that we didn't travel up to the Show today, and so it does sound a bit hypocritical of me to make those statements, but it was just not possible at the moment (and I know a lot of other people will have had legitimate reasons as well). The above were just generalised comments.

I'll get off my soapbox now as well. :soapbox:

gillo
25-03-2007, 09:52 PM
The show was great i fought, ye big shame there wasnt a big turn out of people but there loss as there was some fantastic products there and the lighting room was just amazing well done phil for all of the effort!

Corabar Steve
25-03-2007, 09:54 PM
It was a shame, Phil should be commended for the amount of hard work he put into the event. Its strange that for the last few years, I've seen comments lie "Plasa aren't interested in DJs, we should have our own show" Yet when someone gets off their backside and does it - people can't be arsed to support it. The unfortunate thing is that this type of apathy makes manufacturers wonder whether supporting DJs is actually worthwhile.

I agree Pete.

DJs do seem to be their own worst enemy and apathy seems to rule. To achieve anything requires an effort by EVERYONE not just a few. DJs seem to want everything handed to them on a plate without any effort on their part, and, considering they are 'MOBILE' DJs, it seems that most are reluctant to travel further than the end of their road unless it's for a gig!

I know that we didn't travel up to the Show today, and so it does sound a bit hypocritical of me to make those statements, but it was just not possible at the moment (and I know a lot of other people will have had legitimate reasons as well). The above were just generalised comments.

I'll get off my soapbox now as well. :soapbox:

I totally agree with the above 2 posts.

Vibrant Sounds
25-03-2007, 11:09 PM
I totally agree with the above 2 posts.

Well I don't, what a load of tosh. :mad:

I think it's ridiculous that people don't go every year to the American show, what? too far? "you're mobile aren't you", too expensive? "you can't be serious about the business then", lacking in time? "previous answer still applies.

Sounds ridiculous, then so does both these above posts.

Well if it wasn't over 300 miles away then I may well have gone. I am very willing to learn and would appreciate something to visit such as was on offer at the show. When I was a pro photographer I regularly attended lectures and seminars about the subject, many were held in the midlands and the majority in Bath (home of the RPS).

My gig last night finished at midnight, I was packed up by 1am GMT, unpacked by 2.30 BST then I would have had a five hour plus drive, plus a return journey of the same to get home with no sleep and then (provided I had made it) I would have to be up at 5.45 on Monday for a 12.5 hour shift at work.

Still waiting for something worthwhile to go to within a decent distance. If the show had been held in the West Midlands then it might have been more do-able.

I am sorry that people think I should risk my life to support a show 300 miles from my abode just because I am a mobile DJ. As a mobile DJ I cover the South West, therefore had the event been in the South West and I had not bothered to attend then I would be guilty of some of the castigation that is being cast towards those of us that did not attend.

As the event was outside my normal area of operations, why should I be castigated for not spending the time and expense to travel a vast distance 600 mile+ round trip to attend this event.:Naughty:

Corabar Steve
25-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Don't be so ridiculous Eddie, I believe you know d@mn well what was meant.

There are far more than 15 or so working DJs within a feasible traveling distance from the show, that could have made the effort to attend.

Danno13
25-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Well i've just got in from a 354 mile round trip to support the event, so yep, its a shame lots other local DJs didn't come along.

wensleydale
26-03-2007, 12:21 AM
i can see both sides of this arguement- i have never been to anything like this but would be interested in going if it was within a reasonable distance, but at the same time if only 15 people turned up, was there a bigger issue with marketing/choice of exhibitors or something else?
were you expecting more people and have a lot of cancellations?

jamesh
26-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Well was a great show.... Yes not many turned up but hey can't win them all - the ones that did attend got some great bargains and had a great time and learnt allot of useful stuff via the seminars...

Big thanks to Phil as it was a well run event - just shame about the support/attendance....

Lack of attendance could be down to lots of things but it wasn't through lack of advertising really.... For the past month, at least, its been mentioned on all the major forums as well as in various magazines so people can't say they didn't know about it... Location does come into it a little but out of people that did turn up we had most of the uk covered from London right through to scotland...

No even going to start with edd's post - I can sort of see both sides of it and people have had genuine reasons why they couldn't turn up.... but not going to keep arguing about it for too much as i've spent many an hour so far in other places arguing this mainly with edd lol!

But what i will say is....

(little rant mode on....)

Over the past 2 years there has been at least 3 shows in the midlands (coalville to name but one venue) as well as DJ meets etc and some of them just as poorly attended.... Basically everyone moans about the location no matter where you hold it... IF it's not on peoples door step generally people aren't interested.... Every show that has been held in the midlands has had people moaning it's not more north or not nearer to london etc... You just cant win... If people are so keen to seeing a "worthwhile" event in the midlands why don't they organise it and fund it themsleves rather than criticise others who have tried to do something worthwhile... Generally the reason people don't is that it's too much effort...

Everyone's a critic till they get off their backside and see the work that goes on and the thankless hours that go into something like this...

I know for a fact it cost phil quite a bit to put on the show both financially and in time to prepare and get people onside for the seminars and to exhibit products... and all the thanks he gets from some is none... Just moaning.

And as for the giging till 1am.... Think yourself lucky i didn't get to be till gone 3am i was still up and out the house by 6am to support the show but eveyone's different... But Yes i'm tired now and yes it was a very long day BUT it was a valuable experience too! But at the same time everyone makes choices and yours was long ago that you wouldn't be attending - which is up to you.

And i will say it again before i get shot down by others..... yes i do know there are some very valid reasons why people couldn't turn up too and understand that.

Vibrant Sounds
26-03-2007, 06:57 AM
Don't be so ridiculous Eddie, I believe you know d@mn well what was meant.

There are far more than 15 or so working DJs within a feasible traveling distance from the show, that could have made the effort to attend.

Which is why they had about 25 official visitors as well as a few who sneaked in without paying apparently (should be ashamed of themselves).

Now as there are not actually that many DJs compared to the general population (hence why we get work) and few of them would actually have been aware of the event (most DJs down here are not members of an internet forum), and I would suspect few subscribe to ProMobile mag so how would they have known about the event.

Whilst I applaud Phil for the work and effort he put in, and had it been feasible I would have loved to attend as the whole idea appealed to me greatly. But, I would suggest if you want the largest turnout then you have to hold it where the majority can get too comfortably.

That is not to say that everything should be held in the midlands or nr London, just that that is where the greatest centre of population is to be found.

Also, I do not know what level of advertising Phil and his gang were relying on in and around the area within a reasonable travelling distance to the show venue. Unlikely to draw in non DJ passers by though as would something more mainstream.

Yes my post was a little ridiculous (The first part anyway) but I do dismiss the suggestion that it was poorly supported by apathy (more vociferously advocated on another forum) and the lack of desire for DJs to learn or want to improve the business.

soundtracker
26-03-2007, 09:51 AM
With the amount of people stating that shows should be held in the midlands, I'm really excited about attendance at the NADJ show on the 29th April at the National Motorcycle Museum- next to the NEC!!
We've now got over 30 confirmed exhibitors, at least 2 new product launches, seminars on all of the NEW digital interfaces, plus PCDJ and OTS DJ!!
To make sure that attendance is good we are inviting 2000 DJs from the Midlands area, plus publicising on all of the Forums, Pro Mobile, andalos DJ retailers.We also expect a good attendance from NADJ members for the AGM (Just a small part of the day) and also from the various NADJ branches in formation(Leeds, North East, Central South and Manchester)

Corabar Steve
26-03-2007, 09:57 AM
That'll be about 10 then http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gifhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gif

soundtracker
26-03-2007, 10:07 AM
:soapbox: Last year was about 200, so we are looking to build on that. Just think of all those lovely motorbikes as well Steve!!

Corabar Steve
26-03-2007, 10:34 AM
But it's in Birmingham, that would mean I have to travel http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gif

theoloyla
26-03-2007, 11:41 AM
SEDA ran annual exhibitions from 1976 until a few years ago. We had attendances of up to 1,000 people. TVDJA, NWDJA and CADJ also ran successful exhibitions with hundreds of people attending BUT over the last decade they have died out because of falling attendances. SEDA used to promote via the local radio stations, posters etc. So did all the others BUT the most important means of getting the message accross was via the national weekly publication "Record Mirror" and in particular the late sorely missed James Hamilton's page. With a weekly circulation of about 100,000 other mobile dj magazines can only dream about reaching that number of dj's. Any dj worth his salt read it and it was a shame and a mystery when it was merged into "Music Week".
In the last year SEDA has started bi-monthly shownights in Maidstone which have a good attendance and interesting exhibitors and instructionals. They are not huge shows but seem to be effective and well supported and I am sure that anything NADJ does will be likewise. Associations do have a purpose and exhibitions is one of them.

soundtracker
26-03-2007, 11:48 AM
You're spot on about record Mirror and James Hamilton - halcyon days!

pdarnett
26-03-2007, 02:36 PM
I hope yesterdays attendance is not the shape of things to come, considering the amount of money we've spent on promoting DJ Show North this year, we'll be exhibiting at the NADJ show and I'm spending my days up and down the motorway promoting the show at various places, just hope its all worth it.

Just hope Phil doesn't take it to heart too much and it doesn't put him off organising other events