PDA

View Full Version : is Karaoke dying?

DK Karaoke
22-01-2007, 12:14 AM
Judging by the number of posts to the karaoke forum, it seems this is dead to me. I must admit it is easier to do disco, us kj's dont get paid enought for the hastle we have to put up with.

What do you think?

funkymike
22-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Hell hope not! Iam getting more and more karaoke work these days, then perhaps because iam good lol.

I think the cowboy karaoke is on its way out though, and franky hoo-rar!

mike

BeerFunk
22-01-2007, 12:58 AM
I must admit it is easier to do disco, us kj's dont get paid enought for the hastle we have to put up with.
Absolutely, hosting a karaoke is sooo much harder than DJing at a disco, particularly if you are running a disco in between singers. Added to that the extra investment you have to make to set up or karaoke, it doesn't seem like it pays out in the end. I had considered setting myself up for karaoke, but the cost involved was probably going to be into the £1000s, and I just couldn't see myself recouping that with karaoke bookings.

Round my parts, nearly all the karaoke's are backstreet low-key affairs, very minimalistic. The quality is also normally very poor, with muffled sound and squealing microphones. However, there are some good karaoke's in and around Edinburgh, even some of the smaller clubs run them.

LastMinuteDJs.net
22-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Round my parts, nearly all the karaoke's are backstreet low-key affairs, very minimalistic. The quality is also normally very poor, with muffled sound and squealing microphones.

Think I definitely know the guy you are talking about!!!

BeerFunk
22-01-2007, 02:08 AM
Think I definitely know the guy you are talking about!!!
Well, I wasn't talking about anyone specifically, but I'm sure we've all been to a pub with this sort of thing going on! :)

soundscapes
22-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Hell hope not! Iam getting more and more karaoke work these days, then perhaps because iam good lol.

mike

Sadly its still going strong in hull, 99% of karaokes in hull use either laptops or copied cds and never get checked.
Ive decided to stop running karaoke and concentrate on discos instead.

Corabar Steve
22-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Well, I wasn't talking about anyone specifically, but I'm sure we've all been to a pub with this sort of thing going on! :)

Nope, if I see any sign of Karaoke I usually turn around & walk the other way (The only exception being the last 2 MDD meets (Darren & Wolfie can actually sing))

pdarnett
22-01-2007, 10:03 AM
darren can sing as well as doing the robot ! many facets that man.

Corabar Steve
22-01-2007, 10:06 AM
I've not seen his Robot yet

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2007, 12:28 PM
darren can sing as well as doing the robot ! many facets that man.

It's called being an 'all round entertainer' :D :D :D

(Waits for comments about being round....)

Dragonfly
22-01-2007, 12:32 PM
I've not seen his Robot yet

come on darren your public demands a youtube posting lol

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2007, 01:07 PM
come on darren your public demands a youtube posting lol

And I do unfortunately have it on video (after a beer or two, at my sisters 40th), but don't think I'll get time to sort it out.....;) :D

Corabar Steve
22-01-2007, 01:39 PM
And I do unfortunately have it on video (after a beer or two, at my sisters 40th), but don't think I'll get time to sort it out.....;) :D

Awwwww Gowan

Spirits High
22-01-2007, 02:24 PM
I've had a couple of requests for karaoke at wedding receptions this year.

Careful choice of songs me thinks!

DK Karaoke
22-01-2007, 03:59 PM

mike

that may be the case around Oxford, but not up here "Yorkshire". The cowboys are taking over here, and what makes it worse is the attitude of the public, they want "owt" for "nowt". This applies to not just karaoke, but also disco. No matter how good you are its very hard to get the work at the right price. We invested very heavily on gear, the right gear, many thousands on karaoke, no copied discs, with equipment that is less than 6 months old, and it will never pay. So we are now concentrating on disco as the main service, and will only provide karaoke, if the fee is right. Guess its like manufacturing, the high volume product subsidises the low volume expensive product....

ross@rds
22-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I was thinking of buying a karaoke system but when looking at the costs of the system then tracks etc its not worth it and no one really ever seems to contact about karaokes.

funkymike
22-01-2007, 07:18 PM
that may be the case around Oxford, but not up here "Yorkshire". The cowboys are taking over here, and what makes it worse is the attitude of the public, they want "owt" for "nowt". This applies to not just karaoke, but also disco. No matter how good you are its very hard to get the work at the right price. We invested very heavily on gear, the right gear, many thousands on karaoke, no copied discs, with equipment that is less than 6 months old, and it will never pay. So we are now concentrating on disco as the main service, and will only provide karaoke, if the fee is right. Guess its like manufacturing, the high volume product subsidises the low volume expensive product....

Iam sorry I disagree with you, being in oxford or oxfordshire there always the dam cowboys around and they do a terrible job, I think its down to how the karaoke is presented, poeple dont want the useal kind off dj, I put 110% into every karaoke I do, it can be a estate pub to a posh place and I can honstely say I get asked back everytime and they will pay more, just to get me..sorry sounds big headed, just making a point.

mike

ps and i cant sing a note, but I dont have to

DK Karaoke
22-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Iam sorry I disagree with you, being in oxford or oxfordshire there always the dam cowboys around and they do a terrible job, I think its down to how the karaoke is presented, poeple dont want the useal kind off dj, I put 110% into every karaoke I do, it can be a estate pub to a posh place and I can honstely say I get asked back everytime and they will pay more, just to get me..sorry sounds big headed, just making a point.

mike

ps and i cant sing a note, but I dont have to

Not sure which point you are making, it comes across that you are saying I am a poor kj. This is not the case, and have been doing it for nearly 12 years. I pride myself on giving the best sound system, with the widest choice of tracks, and I present in a very singer/customer friendly way, and not in the bland, "talk at" way some dj's/kj's use. I enjoy karaoke, and I can sing.

I too get asked to go back, and by the venue owner, even when hired by an individual. The point I am making is that in order to recover your investment, you need to be delivering karaoke about 5 times a week, at rates above £150.00 for a 4 hour slot.

As I said to delivery quality karaoke, you need to invest thousands, not hundreds. IN addition to recovering your capital outlay, you also have to make a living.

DK Karaoke
22-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Awwwww Gowan

Nice one. "Father Ted" was and still is my favourite series. Have all the episodes on dvd.

Do you remember the one, where father ted, damages a car, he starts to repair a tiny dent, by tapping it out, and the next scene you see is after supposedly several hours, you see the car is an absolutte wreck. Just a pile of metal. lol

funkymike
23-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Not sure which point you are making, it comes across that you are saying I am a poor kj. This is not the case, and have been doing it for nearly 12 years. I pride myself on giving the best sound system, with the widest choice of tracks, and I present in a very singer/customer friendly way, and not in the bland, "talk at" way some dj's/kj's use. I enjoy karaoke, and I can sing.

I too get asked to go back, and by the venue owner, even when hired by an individual. The point I am making is that in order to recover your investment, you need to be delivering karaoke about 5 times a week, at rates above £150.00 for a 4 hour slot.

As I said to delivery quality karaoke, you need to invest thousands, not hundreds. IN addition to recovering your capital outlay, you also have to make a living.

Forgive me I didnt mean to offend or suggest in way that you are a poor KJ, I was mearly being general from what I have seen around in the last few months....sorry.

I to have had a bit of trouble from the cowboys, howver I let them get on with it, the venue soon comes back (with a price increase for there cheek) once they relieise thr difference, I found putting up the prices has made a difference and I get more bookings from better clients.

keep at it, if you beleive your better than the norm, stick to your guns it will turn around, as it did for me.

mike

BeerFunk
23-01-2007, 10:36 PM
I see your point Mike, but the fact is that you wouldn't even be given a chance to prove how good you are in many venues - unless you quoted less than £100 :(

DK Karaoke
25-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Forgive me I didnt mean to offend or suggest in way that you are a poor KJ, I was mearly being general from what I have seen around in the last few months....sorry.

I to have had a bit of trouble from the cowboys, howver I let them get on with it, the venue soon comes back (with a price increase for there cheek) once they relieise thr difference, I found putting up the prices has made a difference and I get more bookings from better clients.

keep at it, if you beleive your better than the norm, stick to your guns it will turn around, as it did for me.

mike

No worries Mike

Although I really like karaoke, I fear it is dying, and definately will do when the smoking ban comes in, so preparing now.

Cheers ;)

Corabar Steve
25-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Although I really like karaoke, I fear it is dying, and definately will do when the smoking ban comes in, so preparing now.
Roll on the smoking ban

BeerFunk
25-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't think it will ever die, but I do think a good quality, well run karaoke is becoming increasingly rare to find :thumbs_down:

Dazzy D
15-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Martyn. I thought it was just me who liked Father Ted. Best quote has to be from Dougal when he's dreaming about being on Countdown. "Consonant please Carol. Vowel please Carol. Consonant please Carol. And can you put your clothes back on, I can't concentrate!". I've seen it loads of times and it's still hilarious. Maybe I should get out more. Any unwanted bookings for disco & karaoke in Durham and Tyne & Wear, please send my way and help me beat my addiction to my Craggy Island vice!

DK Karaoke
18-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Martyn. I thought it was just me who liked Father Ted. Best quote has to be from Dougal when he's dreaming about being on Countdown. "Consonant please Carol. Vowel please Carol. Consonant please Carol. And can you put your clothes back on, I can't concentrate!". I've seen it loads of times and it's still hilarious. Maybe I should get out more. Any unwanted bookings for disco & karaoke in Durham and Tyne & Wear, please send my way and help me beat my addiction to my Craggy Island vice!

Nice one, do you remember the one where Father Ted, Jack and Dougal, give up smoking, boose, and roller blading, and towards the end Ted, see's everyone as a giant fag, and right at the very end, Ted has about 50 fags in his mouth at one time, and Jack is on a whiskey drip feed, while Dougal is roller blading all around the front room. hilarious.

I think quite a few people still like Father Ted.

Likewise if you get any gigs down my part of the woods Yorkshire/Leeds, then do pass them over.

Cheers mate.:)

Thames Valley Discos
18-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Well Karaoke has taken a new lease of life. I did a lare tripple 18th birthday bash last night. Mainly dance and garage. Fantastic night. Towards the end two guys came up and said " have you got any instrumental music"
Confused i ask why?
The reply, " we are MC,s and we would like Billie Jean instrumental"
Ah i thought, put a karaoke track on.
Wow what a finale to the night. 250 people packed onto a dance floor.
These guys were fantastic.
Ended up doing two further instrumentals, much to the delight of everyone.

sleah
18-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Is it dying? - Oooo I hope so:D
Can't stand it meself, drunks making plonkers of themselves and sounding horrible. Kill it off I say:D
But wait, I have sooooo much respect for you guys who run karaokes - dunno how you can stand it, makes me shudder thinking about doing it :eek:

I would like to say, I see a HUGE difference between karaoke and singing to a backing track, I have no problem with anyone who can do a reasonable job singing..... even raw amatures who just enjoy singing.

I see karaoke as something that only drunks take part in and only drunks who enjoy watching. You rarely seem to see sober people having anything to do with karaoke, apart maybe from you nutters who run it :rolleyes:
Maybe that's just my experience! Like others, I won't go into a bar where there is a karaoke, unless of course I'm meeting up with people who want to be there.
Cowboys obviously give karaoke a bad name, not only are they cowboys (illegal) they will generally put on a cowboy show that looks bad sounds bad and is run even worse.

Keep up the good work guys - you can keep it :p :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Well Karaoke has taken a new lease of life. I did a lare tripple 18th birthday bash last night. Mainly dance and garage. Fantastic night. Towards the end two guys came up and said " have you got any instrumental music"
Confused i ask why?
The reply, " we are MC,s and we would like Billie Jean instrumental"
Ah i thought, put a karaoke track on.
Wow what a finale to the night. 250 people packed onto a dance floor.
These guys were fantastic.
Ended up doing two further instrumentals, much to the delight of everyone.

You're brave Paul.

I wouldn't let anyone near my mics to sing unless it was pre-arranged. You never know what people might do.

Thames Valley Discos
19-03-2007, 05:13 PM
well my t,s and c,s state any damage, the client pays, so nothing to worry about really.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-03-2007, 05:18 PM
well my t,s and c,s state any damage, the client pays, so nothing to worry about really.

So do mine, but as you agreed to lend them the equipment it might be hard to claim?

Dragonfly
19-03-2007, 05:23 PM
thats why my sm58 has a short lead about 2/3 feet lol obviously ive got longer if someone pre arranges that they wish to use it or indeed a radio mic.

Thames Valley Discos
19-03-2007, 05:49 PM
i dont see the problem. i was paid very well, everyone enjoyed it, worse case a new mic. The atmosphere lending it created was worth a new mic, in my opinion.
I met with all the parents prior to gig, and made a point to them that any damage caused would be claimed for. They understood this and so i very much doubt they would argue the toss with me.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-03-2007, 06:22 PM
i dont see the problem. i was paid very well, everyone enjoyed it, worse case a new mic. The atmosphere lending it created was worth a new mic, in my opinion.
I met with all the parents prior to gig, and made a point to them that any damage caused would be claimed for. They understood this and so i very much doubt they would argue the toss with me.

I would have thought worse case would have been blown speakers/horns or someone might swear, be abusive etc

Thames Valley Discos
19-03-2007, 06:58 PM
it was a tripple 18th, swearing was to be expected, and i turned the mic gain down and watched the amp for clipping. as for speakers, they were in house so i wasnt that fussed to be honest. the venue was in a club/style venue.
The night was without doubt my best gig. The manager came up to me at the end of the evening and said it was the best disco he,d had there.
I feel a few more bookings coming from the night so i,m more than happy to give the teens a night to remember. You have to remember this wasnt your average hall/hotel gig.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-03-2007, 07:54 PM
it was a tripple 18th, swearing was to be expected, and i turned the mic gain down and watched the amp for clipping. as for speakers, they were in house so i wasnt that fussed to be honest.
That explains it a bit more then - I wouldn't mind so much if it was a venues own kit! ;)

The night was without doubt my best gig. The manager came up to me at the end of the evening and said it was the best disco he,d had there.

Somewhere I haven't played then obviously. :p :D

Thames Valley Discos
19-03-2007, 07:55 PM
That explains it a bit more then - I wouldn't mind so much if it was a venues own kit! ;)

Somewhere I haven't played then obviously. :p :D

obviously :D :p
But i dont see you as a Dance/trance/garage DJ

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-03-2007, 07:57 PM
obviously :D :p
But i dont see you as a Dance/trance/garage DJ

Why not? :confused:

Thames Valley Discos
19-03-2007, 08:02 PM
no reason really, just didnt think it was your cup of tea so to speak.
I must admit i use to hate Garage, but find with teenagers over 16, they just love it.So i,m slowly learning the garage scene.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-03-2007, 09:57 PM
no reason really, just didnt think it was your cup of tea so to speak.

It's not - I just wondered why you didn't see me as a dance DJ :D

Dragonfly
20-03-2007, 07:00 AM
personally see Daz as the Freddy Flintoff of DJing a total all rounder .................................................. .................................................. ...................and

more than capable of falling off a pedalo at 4am :D :D :D :D.........................................

even in Reading :D :D :D :beer1:

Thames Valley Discos
20-03-2007, 07:07 AM
lmao

Dragonfly
25-03-2007, 10:54 AM
is karaoke dying ................... simple answer .....................

no not at all Mcfly are single handedly trying to keep the art alive ....... sorry ................. just seen them on tv nailing pinball wizard to the cross ................. don't sop me now ..... pinball wizard.........

how much is a contract hitman these days?????

Corabar Steve
25-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Could be worse, they could be playing R&B!

The sooner Karaoke dies the better.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-03-2007, 04:07 PM
The sooner Karaoke dies the better.

What difference does it make to you - you don't do it! :rolleyes:

Corabar Steve
25-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Karaoke is a boil on the buttock of humanity & should be lanced.

It's participants are usally tone deaf wannabes who couldn't hold a tune in a bucket http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gifhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gifhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gif

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-03-2007, 04:16 PM

It's participants are usally tone deaf wannabes who couldn't hold a tune in a bucket http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gifhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gifhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/sgrin.gif

Apart from me of course.:D

Corabar Entertainment
25-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Not very helpful to those who make their living as KJs though, is it? :mad:

Corabar Steve
25-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Apart from me of course.:D

I said participants, not providers :P

funkymike
25-03-2007, 05:25 PM
without participants there would be no need for providers, thats the kinda stupid comment i tend to make.
lol

Corabar Steve
25-03-2007, 05:33 PM
But it's the participants that I have the problem with. If any of you want to provide a service for these talentless individuals then fair play to you.

Dragonfly
25-03-2007, 05:40 PM
yes ..... I don't mean to be a killjoy ...... but stop having fun !!!!!! :D :D :D :D (genuine quote from my old headmaster)

funkymike
25-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Providing a good karaoke show is harder than DJing, far more talent is needed, anyone can play music

taxi?

Corabar Steve
25-03-2007, 06:36 PM
I didn't dispute that, it's just a shame about the "singers"

sleah
25-03-2007, 09:54 PM

Exactly how I feel, except I wasn't quite so blunt:D

taxi?

Taxi? TAXI???? I'm sending a van round to put you AND your bloomin' Krapaoke gear in:D :Laugh: :banana:

Corabar Steve
25-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Now now, that makes it look like you think Mike's gear is rubish (which I'm sure you don't, as you probably haven't even seen it).

sleah
25-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Now now, that makes it look like you think Mike's gear is rubish (which I'm sure you don't, as you probably haven't even seen it).

Na don't mean that! It's karaoke that's krapaoke:D I'm sure Mike's gear is fine.... as a technology I actually like karaoke gear, it's just when it's used:D

Corabar Steve
25-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Sorry Simon, my last post should have contained a couple of :d:d s

funkymike
26-03-2007, 02:09 AM
yep, my gear proberly is garbage, but I earn a good living from it. People watch the x-factor because it entertaining seeing/listning to dreadful singer.......may it continue and line my pockets.

The less dj's do karaoke, I just get busier

works out rather well

BeerFunk
26-03-2007, 02:16 AM
I can KJ, but don't have the gear for it, I cover for people using theirs. It's not worth the investment to get a full karaoke setup of my own, I wouldn't get any return on it.

Anyway, from my experiences, most of the time, it is hard work. It can get more hectic and stressful than just DJing, but only really if you're playing tracks in between singers too. On the other hand, it can be easier than straight DJing, as a lot of the time you're just standing waiting for the singer to finish - and believe me, if they're into their Meatloaf, you have some waiting to do! :)

Dragonfly
26-03-2007, 07:55 AM
very wise words imo Beer...

Have a disco
26-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Afraid I have to agree Karaoke is a dying art form we only have one place that regularly does it now every thursday and my discs get hired out every 2 weeks to a local DJ down another public house.

It dont matter how many 1000's of tunes are in your book 90% of people sing the same old 200 songs.

This is why I now do Karaoke Disco's and DVD disco's, Laser disco's and just plain ole disco's I have had 3 bookings in 3 years its not worth the hassle but I will keep my discs as any DVD player will play them now

its become to easy for joe public to get the discs virtually every tiny pops cd has one with the original tunes as well so they can do both on there home TV

Proper Karaoke is dead lets face it we have pop idol and X Factor now LOL

Enquirer
24-04-2007, 08:02 PM
I have to disagree Karaoke is a major part of the nightlife scene in Denton tameside most pubs at least have one if not two nights a week karaoke.Most of the KJ's have very upto date books with songs sometimes out before they hit the charts properly for example i was singing Take thats shine and fray how to save a life before they were hits in the music charts.

In fact karaoke is so popular in my area that i started a non profit forum about Karaoke in tameside (nine local towns in my area) just a couple of days ago.

LONG LIVE KARAOKE!!!

screamersTess
25-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Karaoke is certainly not dead around West Sussex/Surrey.

It is alive and kicking - we have more regular karaokes than we did a year ago. However, it does seem to ebb and flow so maybe when we have loads down here other parts of the country suffer?

BeerFunk
25-04-2007, 08:06 PM
OK, but here's a question to those that still do karaoke's : do you charge more than you would for a disco, to cover the considerably larger expense? In financial terms, karaoke doesn't offer anywhere near as much of a return as disco's and PA hire do. I would imagine it would have to be something you were passionate about?

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-04-2007, 08:10 PM
In financial terms, karaoke doesn't offer anywhere near as much of a return as disco's and PA hire do.

How do you figure that then?

Danno13
25-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Yeah, that confused me too. Same as discos, only slightly different equipment and karaoke tracks instead of normal cds.

And, if we're being honest i'd say there was less skill and practice required to run a karaoke night...

BeerFunk
25-04-2007, 08:24 PM
How do you figure that then?
Yeah, that confused me too. Same as discos, only slightly different equipment and karaoke tracks instead of normal cds.
I'm not sure if you're aware of how expensive karaoke discs are, but they are typically 15-20 pounds for a 15 track disc. You're probably gonna have to invest a minimum of 2 grand to get a decent collection of songs, and then you have songbooks to make up, which you regularly have to update and replace. Microphones and cables also need replacing quite frequently, as they can receive some harsh treatment. All that is alongside your regular disco, assuming you are running a karoke/disco.

Obviously it is only going to be a small rig, but even so, that's a fair investment to get started in the karaoke market! Added to that, I think most would agree that karaoke's tend to be restricted mainly to pubs and small venues, so the fee you can command is somewhat limited.

And, if we're being honest i'd say there was less skill and practice required to run a karaoke night...Having had considerable experience in both, I can tell you that is definitely not true! With karaoke, it depends how busy it gets, as it can get pretty hectic. And again, it depends if you run a disco in between singers.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-04-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure if you're aware of how expensive karaoke discs are, but they are typically 15-20 pounds for a 15 track disc. You're probably gonna have to invest a minimum of 2 grand to get a decent collection of songs, and then you have songbooks to make up, which you regularly have to update and replace. Microphones and cables also need replacing quite frequently, as they can receive some harsh treatment. All that is alongside your regular disco, assuming you are running a karoke/disco.

But you probably spend as much if not more on music to DJ with. I use quality radio mics, so don't need to replace cables. Books are updated a couple of times a year and the printing costs are less than £100.

Added to that, I think most would agree that karaoke's tend to be restricted mainly to pubs and small venues, so the fee you can command is somewhat limited.

I disagree. It depends where your market lies. I tend to push for the corporate type gigs in reasonable venues, so can command a decent price or I charge an additional cost on top of the disco if they want both.

Having had considerable experience in both, I can tell you that is definitely not true! With karaoke, it depends how busy it gets, as it can get pretty hectic.

I'd agree with that. I think karaoke is a 2 man job personally.

flatliners
25-04-2007, 11:43 PM
i wouldent say karaoke is harder than disco because the punters choose what they wanna sing but in disco you have to read the crowed

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-04-2007, 11:47 PM
i wouldent say karaoke is harder than disco because the punters choose what they wanna sing but in disco you have to read the crowed

It's not that side of things that is harder.

Try taking requests, while eq-ing singers, sorting out the order of the singers, making sure you've got your eye on the volume in case people start screaming and finding the next track at the same time and you'll see what I mean.

DK Karaoke
28-04-2007, 02:47 PM

Totally disagree here. Its not so bad if you are doing just karaoke, but then you get those singers (who cant sing to save their lives), but think you can make them sound just like the record, so they moan. This is in spite of the fact that you have adjusted the key to try and suit their out of tune voice, and pushed the gain up on the mike, so they can be heard, (because they hold the mike about 12 inches away from their mouth) which then results in you having to monitor the mike for feedback quite carefully, but you still get feedback, irrespective of where the singer is positioned.

There is also those who just keep putting the wrong numbers on the request slip, meaning you have to check each disc number, so as to prevent you looking like a complete amateur.

Then there are those, who wont fill out a request slip, only coming up to you, just as you are checking a disc no, or loading a disc, to say, "can I do so and so, no artist given, or worse someone asking to do a song, giving you only a line from the song - - "nightmare".

The hardest ones are when you are doing disco and karaoke, especially if you are providing the full mashings - lots of lighting, smoke machine, etc., etc., You then have a double wammie, the karaoke hastle, and reading the crowd. Not to mention of course the need to hire a 40 footer just to carry all the gear you need, (a bit of an exaggeration here I know).

We do a lot of corporate gigs, for karaoke, and I must admist when people want karaoke, they do tend to come to us, or so it seems. So by providing karaoke as well you get that extra work, when its available, on top of your normal disco.

It is expensive to run karaoke, in comparison to disco, expecially running karaoke as well as disco.

Martyn

The_Blue_Dragon
05-12-2007, 06:35 PM
In my area I dont think it is, in fact i would say its rising, Pubs are now starting to do more karaoke as most people dont have the equipment at home so its bringing more people back to the pubs after the smoking ban.

If you get what I mean