PDA

View Full Version : My First Wedding. Advice please!

|DJChris|
14-02-2007, 10:03 PM
hello guys! firstly, cheers for the warm welcome, you all seem very pleasant!:)

Right!, basically, Ive done birthdays, christmas/newyear partys and plenty of average disco's, but never a wedding!.
Ive got my first one on the 5th of april, alot of people say they are the best ones to do, some say they are the hardest.:confused: What do you guys rekon, based on your experience, also have you got a any tips that will help me on the night ?.
Any responces will be muchly appreciated.:)

Danno13
14-02-2007, 10:09 PM
I find them easier than general parties, birthdays etc. Treat the B&G (and their parents) like royalty and you'll be fine. If they're having a first dance, then you'll need to be nice and confident in announcing it, and getting people to gather round.. then you can usually get everyone up on the dancefloor for the next song.. and then treat as a normal gig...

Corabar Entertainment
14-02-2007, 10:11 PM
The biggest tip I can give you is talk to your client....... get as much info from them beforehand as you can: When do they plan on having their first dance and what is it? Do they want other couples called up half-way through the first dance, or maybe for the second dance? Are they having a buffet and at what point during the evening? Is there anything else going on during the evening? What music do they like and (just as important) what don't they like? Have they got any favourite tracks/ones that have special meaning for them? etc... you get the picture. The more info you get, the better picture you will have of what they are after and the better you can provide them with that.... oh, and don't forget the B&G's names! :p :D

|DJChris|
14-02-2007, 10:26 PM
cheers for the advice guys, feel free to keep it coming if anything more comes to mind.:)

Danno13
14-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Oh.. and make sure you wear a suit. :)

Shaun
14-02-2007, 10:51 PM
The biggest tip I can give you is talk to your client....... get as much info from them beforehand as you can: When do they plan on having their first dance and what is it? Do they want other couples called up half-way through the first dance, or maybe for the second dance? Are they having a buffet and at what point during the evening? Is there anything else going on during the evening? What music do they like and (just as important) what don't they like? Have they got any favourite tracks/ones that have special meaning for them? etc... you get the picture. The more info you get, the better picture you will have of what they are after and the better you can provide them with that.... oh, and don't forget the B&G's names! :p :D

Excellent advice.

Good communication with client beforehand and thorough preparation is the secret to a succesful reception. Find out as much as you can about your clients likes and dislikes.

Weddings are a lot of fun, good luck with your first one Chris :approve:

Candybeatdiscos
15-02-2007, 01:57 AM
again agree with all of the above, its important to also ask if both sets of parents will be there, and are happy to dance (no divorces etc - unfortuantly the state the country is in means that a lot of ex wifes and husbands may not dance together etc).

Play a few slow songs throughout the evening, its a cwelebration of love & union after all :), ensure that grannies & grandad's get a wee dance too so plenty of older songs as well if you have a few older generations in.

Basically enjoy yourself is the best piece of advice and think of how you would want your dj to perform at your own wedding.

ian8limelight
15-02-2007, 04:53 PM

Some really good advice as usual.

Spend time talking to the Bride & Groom. Find out other things like what time the buffet is as it's never a good idea to do the first dance five minutes before the food !!!

Look smart, be confident ....... and you'll have a good time (as will the guests). Let us know how you get on.

Good luck.

|DJChris|
15-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Cheers for advice lads, i will let you know asap how it went, hopefully it works out and i get some more booking from it.:)