PDA

View Full Version : best wedding directory websites to advertise on?

rob1963
15-02-2007, 01:27 PM
It seems that online advertising is more successful than phone book advertising, so which are the best wedding directory sites to advertise on?

I believe that www.confetti.co.uk is the largest site for wedding suppliers, but have given them a miss, as I don't really cater for some of the top end society type functions they cater for, and also because there is no way I'd spend almost £1,000 a year for one online advert. Having said this, it's probably fine for those of you with big rigs charging £400 or more & going for the real top end stuff.

The second biggest site seems to be www.hitched.co.uk which I can highly recommend. My premium advert costs about £115 a year and probably generates at least 70% of my online bookings.

None of the other sites where I advertise produce much more than a few enquiries and possibly the very occasional booking, but I am happy to give details if requested, especially as some of them offer free listings.

Which wedding directory sites do YOU recommend?

Shaun
15-02-2007, 01:30 PM
I just signed up to www.ultimatebridal.co.uk yesterday. Time will tell if the ROI was worthwhile.

rob1963
15-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Hi Elite DJ.

I'm on that one too, but no bookings (that I'm aware of) so far.

rob1963
15-02-2007, 03:21 PM
The sites below are worth advertising on, as they offer free listings, and you don't have to put a link to their site on your own site.

I don't know what (if any) responses they will bring, but as the listings are free, you have nothing to lose - apart from a few minutes of your time.

Good luck!

www.guidesforbrides.co.uk
www.jayweddings.co.uk
www.net-weddings.co.uk
www.uk-disco.co.uk
www.weddingdaybliss.co.uk
www.weddingsclassified.co.uk

ian8limelight
15-02-2007, 05:46 PM
I've just started advertising with http://www.weddingservices4u.co.uk, with a very attractive introductory rate. We'll have to see what happens.

Steve 'B'
15-02-2007, 06:11 PM
I was with guides for brides and to be honest I thought they were quite good for the money. I think I got a very good deal from them at the time.

Danno13
15-02-2007, 06:24 PM
EDIT (Again!):I tried hitched once, for the free 30day period. And even though i was one of only 3 DJs in my county.. i think i only had about 3 referals from the link! Needless to say, i didn't bother paying for a listing.

I'm just making enquiries into confetti.. as i lurk on the forums there occasionaly (I found them as I was recomended on there by a previous client). I'm not sure why you presume they're only high class do's, and in the email I just got from them, the cheapest advertising option was £125+VAT.. not £1000!!!

rob1963
15-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Wow Danno...I don't know what you get for £125 on Confetti, but I looked on their advertising page http://www.confetti.co.uk/article/view/6440-7715.do which shows the cheapest advertising option as costing £884 + VAT!

I probably wouldn't advertise with them anyway, as I don't have a big enough rig for some of the high class work you would get from their site.

Shaun
15-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi Elite DJ.

I'm on that one too, but no bookings (that I'm aware of) so far.

Thanks for ther 'heads up'. I chose the minimum option (£15 for the year), so it's no great loss if nothing is gained.

EDIT (Again!):I tried hitched once, for the free 30day period. And even though i was one of only 3 DJs in my county.. i think i only had about 3 referals from the link! Needless to say, i didn't bother paying for a listing.

I tried the free 30 day listing too. only 1 referral in that period. Needless to say I didn't sign up for a paid listing.

Danno13
16-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Wow Danno...I don't know what you get for £125 on Confetti, but I looked on their advertising page http://www.confetti.co.uk/article/view/6440-7715.do which shows the cheapest advertising option as costing £884 + VAT!

I looked for that page for ages before giving up and emailing them. For 125 i think you just get a one line thing under your region.. and there are already 7 pages of DJs under my area.. so not worth it at all.

I emailed back to enquire about the premium package, but theres no way I could afford £1000!!!

I probably wouldn't advertise with them anyway, as I don't have a big enough rig for some of the high class work you would get from their site.

Hmm.. i'm not sure about that... i'm yet to have an enquiry for a wedding requiring anything more than a small-medium rig, i'm sure that not every bride visiting confetti is after a massive rig (oo.. err :D). And who says high class = big rig anyway :)

rob1963
16-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Ok Danno, I take your point.

I am just going on what I've been told by a couple of jocks...which might well be wrong.

You're right about a big rig not being important...it's what you do with it that counts! ;)

rob1963
17-02-2007, 01:20 AM
Hmmmm...I have to admit that when I started this thread, I was expecting more jocks to post replies detailing which wedding sites work well for them.

If I was a cynic, I'd think that you all know which websites work well for you, but you want to keep them all to yourself...coz if more discos start advertising on them, that will mean more competition & less bookings for yourselves! :p

pdarnett
17-02-2007, 01:30 AM
UK-disco works the best for me I average 40 enquiries a month.. some even turn into bookings!! (not doing bad out of it actually, got 22 weddings booked for this year already!)

BeerFunk
17-02-2007, 01:56 AM
Out of curiosity, Rob, why are you so concerned with taking wedding bookings?

rob1963
17-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi Pdarnett,

Thanks for the info...that looks like a very good response...I might look at giving them a go.

Hi Beerfunk,

I wouldn't say I'm CONCERNED with taking wedding bookings, I just prefer them. I cover most occasions, but weddings account for about 75% of my work.

I love doing weddings. Due to the wide age range, you can play a really good variety of music. Also, they are usually good quality bookings in nice hotels & similar venues. Another advantage is that when people are spending £15,000 on a wedding, they won't moan about spending a few hundred on the entertainment - so you don't get the "How cheap can you go" brigade. It's more important for everything to be perfect on their special day than it is to try & save a few quid, so most of them book my larger disco. Also, weddings usually over-run, so they are nice easy gigs - as you often only have to play for about 2 or 3 hours, even if you were booked for 4 or 5!

These are the main reasons why I prefer weddings to other occasions, so thats why I do all my advertising on wedding directory websites.

The bottom line is that weddings generally produce the best quality, best paying and shortest gigs...and I'm up for all of that ANYDAY!

Danno13
17-02-2007, 03:14 PM
I love doing weddings too..mainly for the wide age group so there ar more quality tunes you can play (as oppose to dance and rnb all night at an 18th) I also find people are so much more keen to celebrate than any other event, and yes, you're unlikely to get any trouble or horrible people like you get at pub gigs (like i did last night...)

Rob, i guess the reason there hasn't been much more input, is maybe because there aren't all that many good wedding directories out there??

I spoke to confetti again on the phone the other day, and the £125+VAT ad will put you above all the other ones in your area, as they are old free listings which they don't offer anymore. So looks worthwhile to me.. seeing as I'd be second under West Midlands and the one above me is an enteratinment agency rather than a DJ.

soundtracker
18-02-2007, 11:10 AM
I've tried several wedding directories, including hitched, but they've all been a waste of time. I find the direct approach to the venue much more lucrative.