PDA

View Full Version : Taking it to the next level...

Ricesnaps
09-04-2007, 01:41 PM
It's that time of year where you start thinking about next year. Next year, if possible I want to be stepping up my game to the next level - well I want to be able to charge next level prices.

But what makes you worth that little bit more.

Lets have a look at me this year:

1. Mainly do weddings
2. Standard wedding charge this year = £220
3. Have two packages, Package 2 = £295 - background music during breakfast, Package 3 = £385 - adds microphones for speaches to package 2

I have a handful of the higher packages this year.

Next year, standard wedding goes up to £250.

So how do I make the step? Ideally I would like £300 to my wedding minimum with £400 - £500 being my average fee. But what get you to that point?

Now I already know it has nothing to do with the lights and probably a lot to do with the DJ, but any other ideas?

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Believe in your own worth.

If you don't beieve that you should be charging £300, then you will find it hard to sell to prospective clients.

Once you have your head round the fact that you should be commanding those sorts of prices, you will find it much easier to convince clients.

Ricesnaps
09-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Believe in your own worth.

If you don't beieve that you should be charging £300, then you will find it hard to sell to prospective clients.

Once you have your head round the fact that you should be commanding those sorts of prices, you will find it much easier to convince clients.
So what makes you worth more then?

And how do you make a big price hike like that - can it be justified by simply saying "that's what I'm worth now"?

TonyB
09-04-2007, 03:02 PM
If you sit down and think how much work you put into a wedding, the preparation before hand, setting up, doing the disco, packing away, unsociable hours, £220 is a bargain bucket price. Its what I would charge for a local birthday disco.

Min I charge for weddings is £350. A friend who owns her own business asked how much I charge and when I told her, she said thats a fair price to illustrate you know what you are doing but not enough to target the the top end of the market.

There are different types of clients who look for different things. Some will associate cost with quality. As you target higher prices, image is important. The client will want some assurance that they will get quality for what they pay. A more discrete show can look more in place at a select venue than the big show on your website with all the scaffolding for the lighting and the massive advertising placard at the front. That set up looks great for a teenage rave but at a posh reception may look a bit out of place and spoil the asphetics of a tastefully decorated reception hall.

Most of the DJ's I know that are now receiving higher payments have a much smaller, tidy looking rig.

With regards to your pricing, from a clients point of view it may seem a bit strange that you charge £90 to add microphones but only charge £220 to do a complete disco. What is it that makes you think it is appropriate to charge so much for just two mic's but charge so little in proportion for a complete disco? Apply your reasoning for the charge for mic's to everything else you do and I'm sure you will think you are worth a lot more than you charge :-)

Candybeatdiscos
09-04-2007, 04:23 PM
I am not that busy and a lot of it is to do with the prices i cahrge compared to my competitors in my area, although i tend to aim for the ABC1 client rather than "any old person". The local DJ's and companies round here charge £50 - £170 for any function, My birthday package starts at £220, and my weddings start at £300, although most go for the £350 package which includes confetti cannons.

I decided i was worth the price due to the fact that I aim to look after the clients from time of booking right through, which is very different to my competitors, I also feel that my show is worth the money as I will not sell my soul to the devil and charge less just to get lots of bookings to end up over booking myself and disappointing customers.

Also the other thing that makes me quiet is that most of them are established and have been over the past 10-20 years, where as i am the new kid on the block as to say, but already i have set myself apart from them, i am getting bookings via recommendation (mostly through Shaun at Elite lol) and as a result I am hopefully getting a good rep, - now i have added a feedback form to the website to get the feedback myself.

Ricesnaps
09-04-2007, 04:52 PM
There are different types of clients who look for different things. Some will associate cost with quality. As you target higher prices, image is important. The client will want some assurance that they will get quality for what they pay. A more discrete show can look more in place at a select venue than the big show on your website with all the scaffolding for the lighting and the massive advertising placard at the front. That set up looks great for a teenage rave but at a posh reception may look a bit out of place and spoil the asphetics of a tastefully decorated reception hall.

Most of the DJ's I know that are now receiving higher payments have a much smaller, tidy looking rig.

With regards to your pricing, from a clients point of view it may seem a bit strange that you charge £90 to add microphones but only charge £220 to do a complete disco. What is it that makes you think it is appropriate to charge so much for just two mic's but charge so little in proportion for a complete disco? Apply your reasoning for the charge for mic's to everything else you do and I'm sure you will think you are worth a lot more than you charge :-)

Thanks for that.

The show has changed somewhat since the picture on the home page - I still have the goalpost truss, but the lighting has been trimmed down and is of much better quality - looks a lot better as well, but time will tell. I also don't use the banner, haven't for a long time and my opinion is exactly the same as yours about it (although the wife would dissagree).

As for the packages, they are primarily based on time, not equipment and I explain that to clients, but I'm guessing that if that's what you thought without talking to me then it's probably not clear BEFORE a client calls or books. I stay with the equipment, so the increase in cost of each package was intended to reflect my additional time. Are you suggesting I am undervaluing my time?

Add to that your comments about base price for a wedding, which is only £20 more than a "normal" disco, I am assuming you would recomend I incread my price. But how do you jump from £220 to say £350 overnight even if you DO believe you're worth that?

wensleydale
09-04-2007, 05:09 PM
what would happen if you charged £400 now?
you need to have an idea if customers would pay that for you at present.
a lot of it comes down to how you sell yourslelf when they make contact.
mention every little thing, even if you take it for granted, as they may not know it.

the only downside is that you have to be prepared to lose a couple when you are testing the water.

TonyB
09-04-2007, 05:55 PM
With regards to the mic pricing, it appeared that it was in addition to package two where you are already there doing the background music anyway - £295 for package 2, £385 add two mics? If they don't use the mic's then you don't get paid for your time during the speeches, you may not be doing anything but you are still there (I'm sure this will trigger another discussion about whether or not you should charge for your time when not doing anything - I charge an hourly rate for being at the premises, whether or not I am doing anything is irrelevant because they are still taking up my time.)

To suddenly increase your prices will probably mean taking one step back to take two steps forward. If you receive a lot of business by referral then it is likely that the person who paid £220 would refer others who would want to pay the same. To suddenly increase to £350 would put off some who are looking to book on price but not those that have seen you work, like what you do and would be prepared to pay what you ask. Once you get to the next level, people who paid £350 would refer people who would be prepared to pay that price.

If you receive more business through advertising, then you will have to be more selective where you advertise e.g. Yellow pages will only probably produce people shopping around for the lowest price where bridal magazines will produce enquiries from people prepared to pay more.

And then finally there is the salesmanship - convincing a person who only wants to pay £220 to pay more for your superior service. Identify the clients needs and explain how you can fulfill their needs and take away any doubts they may have. But at the same time, if they are not happy about the price, find out the maximum they will pay and make an executive decision whether or not you will do it for that price.

I'm sure its been mentioned in this forum before that the average cost of a wedding is around £20,000. A higher price than £220 (around 1% of the cost) should be easily achievable for one of the most important days of the bride and grooms life.

I used to charge £180 for a wedding (last year actually) but then I thought the evening lasts around 5 hours. Allow 2.5 hours loading up travelling, setting up and the same packing away, travelling home, unloading, total 10 hours - worked out at £18.00 an hour. Then there is the time taking the booking, getting booking form completed, contract signed and returned, discussing requirements for the day etc. Getting home totally cream crackered , missing Doctor Who and feeling tired the next day just didn't seem worth it for a measly £180.

CRAZY K
09-04-2007, 06:00 PM
what would happen if you charged £400 now?
you need to have an idea if customers would pay that for you at present.
a lot of it comes down to how you sell yourslelf when they make contact.
mention every little thing, even if you take it for granted, as they may not know it.

the only downside is that you have to be prepared to lose a couple when you are testing the water.

Agree entirely with that---I think you may have to sacrifice a little quantity for quality higher paid bookings---certainly to start with.

Do you find people book you after say a good Wedding gig and find that you are stuck with the ---well you only charged my friend xxxxxxx?

When you get to the higher price range you will get the same thing--the difference being you will be in a higher pay league:D

A friend of mine plays in a Band and is locked into lower priced work--
its a vicious circle to get out of--plenty of people keen to book you---at the lower prices :eek:

So you have to start moving up the price scale now--its about working smarter---not harder!

Good to see some forward planning,

regards

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
09-04-2007, 06:27 PM
To help move this on...

Nearly all my work is weddings with one or two parties in "village halls" during the year. Not much Christmas (but I would love more) and NYE has been very high paying hotels for last three years or so.

Generally very little "recomendation" work, nearly all the bookings are via website or UK-Disco (and a lot of that is where I have had the "bulk" request for quotes and have sold myself over another disco). I don't use Yellow pages AT ALL and have very little non-internet advertising.

I generally don't WANT to work every weekend and am mainly happy with Saturdays and the odd Friday. I also very very rarely do pubs at all, although was wondering if I could do a little Funky house on a friday once a month at my local (as they like that sorta thing).

Hope that helps the advice?

Dragonfly
09-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Do you find people book you after say a good Wedding gig and find that you are stuck with the ---well you only charged my friend xxxxxxx?

Had one last week .... did a wedding for his friend 2 years ago and doing a 40th for another friend in May .

was quite good fun on the phone actually ....

"can I have a discount because you have done 2 of my friends parties?"

no....

"can i have a discount because my venue is a few miles closer to you than theres?"

no....

"can I have a discount because my party is only 7-11 and theres was 7-12?"

no...

(after finding out the usual need to knows and explaining what I do)

"so how much would it cost me?"

"well all the factors considered xxx"

"What!!! thats more than either of the other 2 are paying"

"YES the wedding was in september 05 and the 40th party was booked in feb 06... does the local petrol station still charge the same to fill up as it did last february (06)?"

booking form and deposit returned end of last week. :D :D

Have a disco
09-04-2007, 10:36 PM
It's that time of year where you start thinking about next year. Next year, if possible I want to be stepping up my game to the next level - well I want to be able to charge next level prices.

But what makes you worth that little bit more.

1. Mainly do weddings
3. Have two packages, Package 2 = £295 - background music during breakfast, Package 3 = £385 - adds microphones for speaches to package 2

So how do I make the step? Ideally I would like £300 to my wedding minimum with £400 - £500 being my average fee. But what get you to that point?

Now I already know it has nothing to do with the lights and probably a lot to do with the DJ, but any other ideas?

I back you up hand over foot £250 for minimum small wedding show I am now hammering £300 Because I have to hire a van and no one is complaining bar the shotgun weddings LOL

Minimum I go out for now is £200 this covers van hire as well which varies upon distance traveled £25 local £40 any where out of town but I usually get away with 10 miles for any local

I am finding ricey any R & B with funky house works along with the new rave element (checkout put your hands in the air vol 1 & 2) thats has re-emerged looks a good year for dance music so far even on the indie scene every things sounds happier

BeerFunk
09-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Had one last week .... did a wedding for his friend 2 years ago and doing a 40th for another friend in May .

no....

"can i have a discount because my venue is a few miles closer to you than theres?"

no....

no...

"YES the wedding was in september 05 and the 40th party was booked in feb 06... does the local petrol station still charge the same to fill up as it did last february (06)?"

Well done! Many (including myself) would have backed down and compromised! :rolleyes: :(

Ricesnaps
10-04-2007, 05:57 AM
I back you up hand over foot £250 for minimum small wedding show I am now hammering £300 Because I have to hire a van and no one is complaining bar the shotgun weddings LOL

Have a feeling you may be missing the point. £250 IS my 2008 rate, what I want to achieve is £300 regularly for a standard wedding disco, maybe more if I can.

CRAZY K
10-04-2007, 08:29 AM

no....

no....

no...

:D :D :D Like it!

People often ask if thats the best quote I can give--yup thats it im afraid---were expecting a lot of enquires for your date--it seems to be very popular!

Rice you are in the perfect situation to increase prices now because you are not saddled with lots of people saying---but you only charged my friend xxxx at their Wedding.

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
10-04-2007, 08:37 AM
:D :D :D Like it!

People often ask if thats the best quote I can give--yup thats it im afraid---were expecting a lot of enquires for your date--it seems to be very popular!

Rice you are in the perfect situation to increase prices now because you are not saddled with lots of people saying---but you only charged my friend xxxx at their Wedding.

CRAZY K
OK then, so maybe now it's about how to market what I do better?

The current three packages have already been mentioned. Can I have any thoughts on what to offer and how? Forget the prices, I can work that out myself (although an indication of the percentage increase you might expect may help).

I've also seen a few DJ sites using the DJ inteligence quote generator, so simply for a quote and others to add in all sorts of "extras" or quote based on location, stairs, time etc... What's you thoughts, is this just another way of saying "how much do you value a disco" and does nothing more than promote the price hungry punter, or is it something that's slick, classy and promotes the overall image I am trying to achieve?

Dragonfly
10-04-2007, 08:54 AM
I personally offer one package as such but offer extras onto that package ie.

ie. evening reception disco .....xxx

optional extras :
mics for speaches ... xxx
music through wedding breakfast ... xxx

this I think makes the cost of their evening seem less and more appropriate.

the last piece of marketing advice I got told me people get confused easily when offered lots of choice about things they don't really understand. I used to do a small medium large rig etc but ditched it I do now offer an enhanced show for bigger venues or people that want all the bells and whistles but I advise which would be best for the venue at the meeting I have.

For most my usual set up is more than adequate and im honest about that I find that the clientelle im getting appreciate me being honest rather than trying to fleece them for as much cash as possible.

It's totally each to their own and whatever works for you go with .

One thing I did find when I did small , medium, large (bronze silver gold etc etc.)is that people went for the middle option alot .... small well that will be rubbish and we dont want rubbish large ooohh no we don't want anything that big type thing.

CRAZY K
10-04-2007, 09:34 AM
I personally offer one package as such but offer extras onto that package ie.

ie. evening reception disco .....xxx

optional extras :
mics for speaches ... xxx
music through wedding breakfast ... xxx

this I think makes the cost of their evening seem less and more appropriate.

the last piece of marketing advice I got told me people get confused easily when offered lots of choice about things they don't really understand. I used to do a small medium large rig etc but ditched it I do now offer an enhanced show for bigger venues or people that want all the bells and whistles but I advise which would be best for the venue at the meeting I have.

For most my usual set up is more than adequate and im honest about that I find that the clientelle im getting appreciate me being honest rather than trying to fleece them for as much cash as possible.

It's totally each to their own and whatever works for you go with .

One thing I did find when I did small , medium, large (bronze silver gold etc etc.)is that people went for the middle option alot .... small well that will be rubbish and we dont want rubbish large ooohh no we don't want anything that big type thing.

I think Market research shows this is always the case---a friend of mine says its like choosing Wine---if you go for the middle price you wont be getting much better than cheap because the "vendor" knows most people go "middle of the road" and offer virtually the same as cheapest for a higher price!

So if you decide to go down the tiered pricing offer a decent package in the middle which is financially good for you---because as Dave says most people will probably go for " middle".

I dont do many Weddings but I just offer one all inclusive package with free use of Radio Mikes etc. That makes it simple.

I would prepare yourself for rejection---nothing personal but once your prices go up I think you will find your ratio of quotes to business will probably drop off initially---but who knows? Maybe people will think ---he must be offering more charging that higher price :D PLI, PAT etc can be used as a selling tool.

I have done this but dont worry about punters who say --"cor thats a lot"-- because it frees up dates for better quality business which is around the corner--

I think with all your experience you should use that as a major selling point---
as you know anyone can buy the latest lighting and still be ineffective as an Entertainer.

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
10-04-2007, 09:49 AM
I think it's about what you offer and how you offer it.

I am thinking maybe I go down the one price with a few extra's route now. Make it nice and simple (as that's always been my moto - we don't charge you by the light or the CD, what you see is what you get), wedding entertainment by Revelation, add on all day, add on microphones, add on after midnight, add on stairs.....

By the way Crazy, the extra for microphones is so they can be used outside of the "normal" evening entertainment slot. I have (or will have very soon) a small discrete PA that I am going to use for this.

If it helps, I have been doing a little local research. Rightly or wrongly I am quite keen to step up the game to this level one day. But is it actually the right aproach and do you think it's really the next level - interested to know!

http://www.makeitahit.co.uk/

CRAZY K
10-04-2007, 12:42 PM
I think it's about what you offer and how you offer it.

I am thinking maybe I go down the one price with a few extra's route now. Make it nice and simple (as that's always been my moto - we don't charge you by the light or the CD, what you see is what you get), wedding entertainment by Revelation, add on all day, add on microphones, add on after midnight, add on stairs.....

By the way Crazy, the extra for microphones is so they can be used outside of the "normal" evening entertainment slot. I have (or will have very soon) a small discrete PA that I am going to use for this.

If it helps, I have been doing a little local research. Rightly or wrongly I am quite keen to step up the game to this level one day. But is it actually the right aproach and do you think it's really the next level - interested to know!

http://www.makeitahit.co.uk/

Fair enough Matt-I guess most of my Weddings are in the Summer in Marquees so its all in the same " area "---do you get many Weddings where you need a completely separate PA--just interested.

Re- the site for the "other disco" my only comment is that its interesting that the play list idea seems to be gaining ground--NOT because you dont know what your doing--but a PERCEPTION of a problem probably brought about by other less experienced and skilful DJs having problems at Weddings elsewhere.

Dont lets start the Flashing jukebox debate though:eek:

All you need is a Laptop/ Cortex/ Dennon:D :D :D

As you know from the time we first discussed things--thats the way I prefer for some of the music.

Whilst its certainly very professional sounding if you read through there are some very strange comments like---why are we cheaper than some Discos?
Later on--why are we more expensive then other Discos? Cos we have 2 DJs on standby--that must cost?

We dont tun up with a trailer :eek: Dont get that one?

We dont play the Birdie Song its not got on to the approved list. Yeah-well some people actually like it!

Our DJs are between 20 and 30--oh dear thats me out:eek:

Our DJs are full of energy and play lively music--thats not difficult is it?

Theres a lot of info under FAQ and whilst this is always helpful I think talking to people is often better to gain confidence so by giving too much information away on the site you may lose that opportunity to build a relationship with a potential client--certainly I am more successful in securing bookings by telephone contact than web site generated emails--

I suppose theres nothing new in Marketing really--just differentiate yourself away from the mass market and charge for it.

If you havent already== get a quote ordered from them and see how you compare:D

regards

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
10-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Fair enough Matt-I guess most of my Weddings are in the Summer in Marquees so its all in the same " area "---do you get many Weddings where you need a completely separate PA--just interested.

Re- the site for the "other disco" my only comment is that its interesting that the play list idea seems to be gaining ground--NOT because you dont know what your doing--but a PERCEPTION of a problem probably brought about by other less experienced and skilful DJs having problems at Weddings elsewhere.

The problem i have with the PA for speeches is that it is very unusual for the top table to be directly in front of the disco and so in order for the sound to come from the right place and not sound odd, speakers either side of the top table would be preferable (but a little tucked away obviously). If you remember seeing my M-Flex's, they are not really the most beautiful and subtle of speakers, hence the small active set up!

Playlists - interesting also to see that I now have a "choose your music" section on my website which was there and working well BEFORE the aforementioned disco site started doing it. Some were born to lead I guess!

I have also requested a few quotes - as the system doesn't need an email address to generate it. Seems I am currently about £150 off the mark for a standard disco.

What did you think to the quote generator anyway?

Vectis
10-04-2007, 01:56 PM
At the start of the year I decided to simplify pricing and take away many of the "added extras" that some customers complained about as ways of "trying to bump up the price".

So after a bit of thought, I decided to pitch "VectisVibe Premier" and "VectisVibe Junior". 'Junior' is sold as a service directly comparable to other local quality DJs and is popular for kiddie parties etc.. For me, it's an easy buck... turn up with two speakers, one laptop, half a dozen lights and get paid somewhere in the middle of the range for local discos. I only offer 'Junior' here on the island.

'Premier' is sold as our "top of the game" rig with all of our previously optional extras thrown in for a single price, subject to venue. Extra lighting, video effects, lasers & haze... you name it. 'Premier' is actually too big for many venues, so we end up dropping a few effects or downsizing the rig anyway... but not the price :o

Now, the only extras are for morning/afternoon setups and post-midnight, plus any excessive travel.

The difference, other than a bit more wear & tear? A few extra crates in the van and about 15 minutes extra set-up time.

The split? About 80% go for 'Premier' and 20% for 'Junior'. Last year, when I just advertised one rig with lots of extras, I'd more often than not end up doing a 'premier' performance for a 'junior' price!!

CRAZY K
10-04-2007, 03:43 PM
The problem i have with the PA for speeches is that it is very unusual for the top table to be directly in front of the disco and so in order for the sound to come from the right place and not sound odd, speakers either side of the top table would be preferable (but a little tucked away obviously). If you remember seeing my M-Flex's, they are not really the most beautiful and subtle of speakers, hence the small active set up!

Playlists - interesting also to see that I now have a "choose your music" section on my website which was there and working well BEFORE the aforementioned disco site started doing it. Some were born to lead I guess!

I have also requested a few quotes - as the system doesn't need an email address to generate it. Seems I am currently about £150 off the mark for a standard disco.

What did you think to the quote generator anyway?

Very interesting--they charge almost as much for a Wedding Disco as I do for
a combined Barn Dance and Disco:eek:

Lot of extra charges as well---look on the bright side---if theres over 300 people a year willing to pay those kind of prices im sure you can find some as well!

Apart from the black roll neck polo shirts im not sure they offer any more than you do !!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially as you ditched the trailer and bought a Merc and dont play the Birdie song anymore:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

My advice would be if your going into that price league get a good laptop or USB reader so you have instant access to music and as they state on their site---"arent fumbling around in a pile of Cds trying to find a request"

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
10-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Very interesting--they charge almost as much for a Wedding Disco as I do for
a combined Barn Dance and Disco:eek:

Lot of extra charges as well---look on the bright side---if theres over 300 people a year willing to pay those kind of prices im sure you can find some as well!

Apart from the black roll neck polo shirts im not sure they offer any more than you do !!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially as you ditched the trailer and bought a Merc and dont play the Birdie song anymore:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CRAZY K
In fact I have one up on these guys, not only do I own a copy of the birdie song, I actually allow my clients to request it if they wish!

wensleydale
10-04-2007, 06:59 PM
i would imagine their website loses them more business than it gains- seems a little strange to me.

Ricesnaps
11-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Still considering my options here, especially the right marketing.

I wondered - is a professionally shot picture of me on my web site home page better advertising than a shot of my show OR a shot of happy punters dancing?

Marc J
11-04-2007, 01:42 PM

I wondered - is a professionally shot picture of me on my web site home page better advertising than a shot of my show OR a shot of happy punters dancing?

Why not fade between all three with a little javascript slideshow :)

Jiggles
11-04-2007, 01:45 PM
How about this: http://cbentertainments.bustedjump.com/test/untitled-2.html :D:D Well somthing like that. :)

Marc J
11-04-2007, 01:56 PM
I was thinking something more like this (http://www.codelifter.com/main/javascript/slideshow2.html), which is elegant and looks like flash but isn't (so degrades gracefully in older non-supported browsers).

Ricesnaps
11-04-2007, 02:24 PM
I was thinking something more like this (http://www.codelifter.com/main/javascript/slideshow2.html), which is elegant and looks like flash but isn't (so degrades gracefully in older non-supported browsers).
Nice and classy - but my question was about using a picture on my mug, whether that be part of a slide show or not!

Marc J
11-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Nice and classy - but my question was about using a picture on my mug, whether that be part of a slide show or not!

Not having seen your mug, I couldn't possibly comment :D

Ricesnaps
11-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Ha ha ha!

It was the concept I was asking about silly!

CRAZY K
11-04-2007, 03:12 PM

I HAVE seen Matt---which does not influence my answer--honestly:D

Go for Happy Shiny People--thats what the public seem to want---in my world anyway:)

CRAZY K

Corabar Steve
12-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Not having seen your mug, I couldn't possibly comment :D

I have.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DON'T DO IT!

:D:d:sj::d:D

Ricesnaps
12-04-2007, 01:01 PM
I have.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DON'T DO IT!

:D:d:sj::d:D
How rude! :p

Corabar Steve
13-04-2007, 07:42 AM
Yep!:P

rob1963
13-04-2007, 10:18 PM

Ricesnaps,

In my opinion, a picture of you on your website merely shows clients what you look like...which is probably not particularly important for most clients.

I'd also advise against a shot of your show, as you've stated a number of times that you don't sell yourself on the equipment.

That leaves the third option - happy punters dancing, which is the one I'd go for if I was you. It's far more relevant that the previous two options.

What could be better than a pic of happy punters dancing & enjoying themselves at one of your functions?

Rob.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Ricesnaps,

In my opinion, a picture of you on your website merely shows clients what you look like...which is probably not particularly important for most clients.

I'd also advise against a shot of your show, as you've stated a number of times that you don't sell yourself on the equipment.

That leaves the third option - happy punters dancing, which is the one I'd go for if I was you. It's far more relevant that the previous two options.

What could be better than a pic of happy punters dancing & enjoying themselves at one of your functions?

Rob.

I would put all of them on.

I have and just because I have photos of the various shows we use, it doesn't mean that is what I sell, 'cos I don't!;)

rob1963
14-04-2007, 10:10 AM
I would put all of them on.

I have and just because I have photos of the various shows we use, it doesn't mean that is what I sell, 'cos I don't!;)

Darren,

Putting all three on the site is certainly an idea, I was just giving my opinion on which of the three was the most important if Ricesnaps was just choosing ONE.....

.....and are you SURE you don't sell your actual shows? :lol:

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-04-2007, 11:18 AM
.....and are you SURE you don't sell your actual shows? :lol:

You know very well what I meant Robert. ;)

rob1963
19-04-2007, 11:28 AM

I would like £300 to my wedding minimum with £400 - £500 being my average fee.

I just noticed something.

This thread is called "Taking it to the next level"

Clearly a more accurate title would be "How can I start charging double?"

The answer: You can't!

Ricesnaps
20-04-2007, 06:19 PM

I think once again you are completely missing the point here.

I have been away for the week and the wedding market has been something I've been considering a lot over the week. Where on earth did I even suggest I wanted to double my price? What I actually want to do is enable myself to break away from my current "mould" and take my business and my presentation to a level where I am confident and happy to charge what I believe I am worth. After all, with my current pricing structure (which is all set to change, watch this space), I am getting bookings at the moment for £300 - £400, but that's because of the package I am offering. I want to up my game and give more for more.

rob1963
20-04-2007, 07:18 PM
I think once again you are completely missing the point here.

Where on earth did I even suggest I wanted to double my price?

Ricesnaps,

Why do I always miss the point of YOUR posts, but nobody elses?

If you want to know where on earth you even suggested you want to double your prices, try looking back to your first posting in this thread.

It clearly states that your standard wedding charge this year is £220. It also states that you would LIKE your average fee to be £400-£500. Unless I'm bad at basic maths, this is double your current price.

Ironically, you recently accused ME of boring people by asking how I could charge more money, even though I was ACTUALLY asking what FACTORS people base their prices on, which is completely different. The words pot, kettle & black come to mind!

For the record, I'm happy with my charges, I'm happy with what I earn and I have NO plans whatsoever to increase my prices.....unlike some.

soundtracker
20-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Now now girls, play nicely!

rob1963
20-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Now now girls, play nicely!

Soundtracker,

I always do! :)

funkymike
20-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Reading this thread with great interest,

So then Mr rice, what sets your disco to the 400 - 500 pound mark? why is yours different?

only so I can nik your ideas lol

mike

Ricesnaps
20-04-2007, 09:36 PM

You go away on holiday for a few days and when you get back nothing at all has changed!

Rob, to clarify, the above post was the one that got my goat somewhat. Forgive me if I am somewhat blunt, but there are times when I get a little bit blunter than others - call it friendly forum banter if you like as I don't know you from adam so there is no way it can be anything personal, but how absolutely rediculous, pointless and arogant of you to make the above post, particularly based on the two recent posts you made, but I think you completely missed the point of the responses you got to those posts as well based on the concencous of opinion in the replies! To start with, before you decide to make such broad and sweeping statements, please read carefully posts that refer to your argument. Take my original post:

1. Mainly do weddings

If you want to be word for word accurate here, a £300 minimum fee for next year is only £50 more than I am currently charging. My top package this year is £385, so all I am suggesting is that I would like my average fee for a wedding to reflect a slight increase in my top fee this year, rather than settle for an average fee much closer to my "standard" fee. I am somewhat confused how you could even consider that to mean I wanted to double my fee?

The realy message from this thread is not the one you gave. "How can I double my fee" with the rather missinformed response "You can't". I think the real key here is about believing in your worth as an entertainer.

Try looking at the section of the forum I posted this in. There are companies in my area who are regularly providing a very similar service to mine but are charging a great deal more than I am. I would even suggest that if you did a straw poll of the guys on the forum and asked what there average fee was for a wedding I would still be on the low side. This thread and my current thoughts and considerations are about how to recognise my value in what I do and ensure that my fee reflects this. I have made it quite clear that I am finding this difficult to do, but the support and advice from everyone else has been hugely encouraging!

For the record, I'm happy with my charges, I'm happy with what I earn and I have NO plans whatsoever to increase my prices.....unlike some.
Fair play to you, if you feel you are happy with the fees you comand and they reflect your value as an entertainer, then good for you. Did it not occur to you through my ramblings on this thread that I am not happy with my fees and I believe I am worth more? That was the whole point and that was exactly why I asked the question!

Ironically, you recently accused ME of boring people by asking how I could charge more money, even though I was ACTUALLY asking what FACTORS people base their prices on, which is completely different. The words pot, kettle & black come to mind!
Not quite sure where that came from. I have always offered up my opinion, strong and focussed at times, it can offend, but it is always from the heart. If you re-read your own threads, they basically asked for suggestions on how to charge more money - one of these asking for "tricks of the trade" and suggesting that a trick might be to have a more expensive show and make sure most bookings have to use that not the smaller one. Your second post asked what factors effect your price and you made more than a number of references to equipment and music. What I am asking here and my continued frustration with your posts is clearly not about equipment, it's not about how much music you take, it's not about where the venue is. It IS about what you are worth as an entertainer and as such how you pitch your service.

Let me explain what I have learnt so far (and big thanks to all the guys who have offered useful and good advice).

My fee is directly related to my value in the field I choose to work. To that end, getting to the "next level" for me is about the following (Soundtracker, here's where I explain how I think I can earn more!!! LOL!!!):

1. Believe in my own value as a DJ
2. Understand my market - know what the wedding client wants or think they want
3. Value the client's opinion and recognize that they have the ability to make choices about how you serve them

Watch this space. I have a lot of ideas and thoughts and will hopefully share some for your thoughts over the next few weeks.

Rant over now I think - Rob, nothing personal, just passionate about what I do and what I believe in sometimes. We're all here to learn, but sometimes it's hard to know when we're not listening.

CRAZY K
20-04-2007, 10:23 PM
You go away on holiday for a few days and when you get back nothing at all has changed!

Rob, to clarify, the above post was the one that got my goat somewhat. Forgive me if I am somewhat blunt, but there are times when I get a little bit blunter than others - call it friendly forum banter if you like as I don't know you from adam so there is no way it can be anything personal, but how absolutely rediculous, pointless and arogant of you to make the above post, particularly based on the two recent posts you made, but I think you completely missed the point of the responses you got to those posts as well based on the concencous of opinion in the replies! To start with, before you decide to make such broad and sweeping statements, please read carefully posts that refer to your argument. Take my original post:

If you want to be word for word accurate here, a £300 minimum fee for next year is only £50 more than I am currently charging. My top package this year is £385, so all I am suggesting is that I would like my average fee for a wedding to reflect a slight increase in my top fee this year, rather than settle for an average fee much closer to my "standard" fee. I am somewhat confused how you could even consider that to mean I wanted to double my fee?

The realy message from this thread is not the one you gave. "How can I double my fee" with the rather missinformed response "You can't". I think the real key here is about believing in your worth as an entertainer.

Try looking at the section of the forum I posted this in. There are companies in my area who are regularly providing a very similar service to mine but are charging a great deal more than I am. I would even suggest that if you did a straw poll of the guys on the forum and asked what there average fee was for a wedding I would still be on the low side. This thread and my current thoughts and considerations are about how to recognise my value in what I do and ensure that my fee reflects this. I have made it quite clear that I am finding this difficult to do, but the support and advice from everyone else has been hugely encouraging!

Fair play to you, if you feel you are happy with the fees you comand and they reflect your value as an entertainer, then good for you. Did it not occur to you through my ramblings on this thread that I am not happy with my fees and I believe I am worth more? That was the whole point and that was exactly why I asked the question!

Not quite sure where that came from. I have always offered up my opinion, strong and focussed at times, it can offend, but it is always from the heart. If you re-read your own threads, they basically asked for suggestions on how to charge more money - one of these asking for "tricks of the trade" and suggesting that a trick might be to have a more expensive show and make sure most bookings have to use that not the smaller one. Your second post asked what factors effect your price and you made more than a number of references to equipment and music. What I am asking here and my continued frustration with your posts is clearly not about equipment, it's not about how much music you take, it's not about where the venue is. It IS about what you are worth as an entertainer and as such how you pitch your service.

Let me explain what I have learnt so far (and big thanks to all the guys who have offered useful and good advice).

My fee is directly related to my value in the field I choose to work. To that end, getting to the "next level" for me is about the following (Soundtracker, here's where I explain how I think I can earn more!!! LOL!!!):

1. Believe in my own value as a DJ
2. Understand my market - know what the wedding client wants or think they want
3. Value the client's opinion and recognize that they have the ability to make choices about how you serve them

Watch this space. I have a lot of ideas and thoughts and will hopefully share some for your thoughts over the next few weeks.

Rant over now I think - Rob, nothing personal, just passionate about what I do and what I believe in sometimes. We're all here to learn, but sometimes it's hard to know when we're not listening.

Dont go away on holiday too often Matt--otherwise you will be suffering from typists elbow!

I think a basic point here which I am myself using with some degree of success would be you need to put forward an increasing number of solid reasons why people should use you and your unique talents that make you worth more money---

Clearly statements like--weve got bigger speakers,lights, equipment wont be much use as you know--I think its your personal talents as an entertainer, MC, DJ, co ordinator etc that would probably be best to highlight.

Also the much hackneyed PLI, PAT, recommendations from existing customers etc.

Regards

CRAZY K

rob1963
20-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Ricesnaps,

I think the problem with us understanding each other largely stems from the fact that although we're in the same business, we're both coming at things from completely different angles, and have very different goals.

Although I'm aware that I could charge more money, I don't want to...because as well as providing a high level of service, I also choose to do it at competitive rates, which means charging a bit less than I could do.

The reason I'm not worried about charging more is partly because I also run pub quiz nights in the week...so discos only account for about half my income, and partly because I'm single with no debts or baggage, and can therefore live on far less money than the majority of people.

I wish you luck in getting to where you want to be with your business.

Rob.

Dragonfly
20-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Now Crazy if you're going to come on and make sensible suggestions we shall have to reprimand you :D :D :D

think of it like a cv your big new car and the fact you have a house in the nice part of town are totally irellavent. Ive always maintained in this job you dont have to be bigger and better than the next man ..... just different ...... my kids always tell me i'm different ..... the wife says im "special" :daft: :daft: but im not sure thats the same thing??? :D :D

ross@rds
21-04-2007, 01:26 PM
If you think your worth more then charge more. The djs who charge £80 and so dont look after clients , dont listen to what they want they just do what they want.

I charge 3220 for a wedding as i keep in contact with the client from the moment they book me and even after the event i call to see how they are getting on. If you add the time up you spend with them its a lot. Meetings , setting up , doing the disco , makin sure everyone is having fun etc its alot of your time spent when actually you dont have to call them , meet up etc etc.

rob1963
21-04-2007, 03:14 PM
I charge 3220 for a wedding as i keep in contact with the client

Wow Ross...£3,220 is very good money for a wedding! :D :D :D

ross@rds
21-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Pml i wish i was making that. I take £220.00 should i say.

rob1963
21-04-2007, 03:24 PM
I guessed it was a typo, but as you said...nice thought!