PDA

View Full Version : mashed ohms

funkymike
16-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Heres a pic of my OHMs RW6 speaker cabs, using quality chipboard, hence the expensive price when I got them a few years ago. Anyway I got this carpenter chap to remake the cabs at last....but

Do I use the same quality chipboard or mdf or marine ply and do I keep them the same size (trapezal mmmm I will check that spelling) or do I make them slightly bigger and squarer and deeper to macimize on the bass (as there not very bassie) much like the JBL as I think they are a copy but not as deep.

whatta think chaps

mike

gillo
16-04-2007, 10:22 PM
definaelty not mdf only if their not going to be moved around alot as they will weigh an absolute tonne. are you going to be using original drivers or not?

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-04-2007, 10:24 PM
I reckon the best thing to do, would be to ask Ohm. I know they don't make them anymore, but I'm sure they could advise on what to use etc.

http://www.ohm.co.uk/ohm_contact.htm

colint
16-04-2007, 10:53 PM
use water bonded ply it's nice and light and will last ages if glued and screwed together! keep the boxes the same size and shape or you could lose what little bass you have!!!! the boxes are optimised for the drive units that are in them so if you mess with the size you also mess with the sound.

funkymike
16-04-2007, 11:05 PM
definaelty not mdf only if their not going to be moved around alot as they will weigh an absolute tonne. are you going to be using original drivers or not?

yes i'm going to use the original drivers and the original crossover, but i dont want to use chipboard as its weak on the sides (the grills push on the rebate and the sides snap off) and Most of the sound comes out the back of the cabnet.So my thinking is if the wood is dencer the sound/bass will come out the front.

mike

cant believe how much nicotine is on the foam inside the cabs....yuk

gillo
16-04-2007, 11:48 PM
yes i'm going to use the original drivers and the original crossover, but i dont want to use chipboard as its weak on the sides (the grills push on the rebate and the sides snap off) and Most of the sound comes out the back of the cabnet.So my thinking is if the wood is dencer the sound/bass will come out the front.

mike

cant believe how much nicotine is on the foam inside the cabs....yuk

well if your going to be using basically the same internals then definaetly keep the same dimension as ohm is a pro audio manufacture and im sure they will have spent alot of time designing the cab for the best results. im sure they havent just made a box then just stuck them components inside it will all be designed around the thiele small parameters of those drivers. there are a couple of ways that you could gain more bass e.g. you could by wire the cabs run all of the bass drivers off one amp and the comps off another but means more money and 2 sets of cables. or upgrade the crossover and make sure the cabinet has acoustic wadding inside. also what is the overall power handling of the cab ? are you supplying them with enough juice? another option maybe to just daisy chain a passive sub with your cabs so you have a 2 sat 1 sub system and place the sub under deckstand etc