PDA

View Full Version : Typical wedding reception format...

PropellerHeadCase
09-05-2007, 03:37 AM
Obviously there are aspects that are different from reception to reception, let-alone country to country (e.g. simply never called a Wedding Breakfast in NZ unless it's actually in the morning), just curious as to what might be considered the norm after reading some of the posts in the 'Wedding Professionals! (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6828&highlight=professionals)' thread.

Ceremony is typically between 2:00pm and 4:00pm, definitely earlier if at a location removed from the reception itself.

Initial family and group photos at the ceremony venue then B&G and attendants (and sometimes parents) take off with photographer and guests mix and mingle with hors d'œuvres until being seated for the meal.

The meal is generally between 5:00pm and 6:30pm and speeches, typically, are between mains and dessert though occasionally before mains (usually when one of the speakers is really nervous and the B&G are cutting them a break).

The cake cutting is either at the end of the speeches but more usually after dessert and just prior to the first dance which is usually the last official act of the night, with the occasional exception of the bouquet and garter.

Comments?

rob1963
09-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Obviously there are aspects that are different from reception to reception, let-alone country to country (e.g. simply never called a Wedding Breakfast in NZ unless it's actually in the morning), just curious as to what might be considered the norm after reading some of the posts in the 'Wedding Professionals! (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6828&highlight=professionals)' thread.

Ceremony is typically between 2:00pm and 4:00pm, definitely earlier if at a location removed from the reception itself.

Initial family and group photos at the ceremony venue then B&G and attendants (and sometimes parents) take off with photographer and guests mix and mingle with hors d'œuvres until being seated for the meal.

The meal is generally between 5:00pm and 6:30pm and speeches, typically, are between mains and dessert though occasionally before mains (usually when one of the speakers is really nervous and the B&G are cutting them a break).

The cake cutting is either at the end of the speeches but more usually after dessert and just prior to the first dance which is usually the last official act of the night, with the occasional exception of the bouquet and garter.

Comments?

Hi Al,

Firstly, I'd LOVE to know why it's called a wedding breakfast when its eaten in the late afternoon or early evening. Almost as stupid as getting something thats big & calling it small! Maybe someone here knows the answer.

As for what's the norm with weddings, in my opinion there simply isn't a norm.

I think it's fair to say every wedding is completely different, and regardless of how much planning has been done in advance, everything always changes on the night anyway!

PropellerHeadCase
09-05-2007, 08:54 PM
I understand what you're saying, Rob, but there will be somewhat of a status quo (no drunk sing-along, please) to which most weddings somewhat conform.

It's called the wedding breakfast because traditionally couples were married at sunrise and their first meal as a married couple was indeed breakfast - the timing has changed, but not the name, apparently.

rob1963
10-05-2007, 04:06 PM
It's called the wedding breakfast because traditionally couples were married at sunrise and their first meal as a married couple was indeed breakfast - the timing has changed, but not the name, apparently.

Ahhhhh...thanks for explaining that one Al.

If couples were traditionally married at sunrise, they must have got up pretty early!

PropellerHeadCase
10-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Yep, and the breakfast was early-birds and worms, or something.

Which I guess explains the month of drinking mead afterwards... to get the taste out.

Have a disco
10-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Hi Al,

Firstly, I'd LOVE to know why it's called a wedding breakfast when its eaten in the late afternoon or early evening. Almost as stupid as getting something thats big & calling it small! Maybe someone here knows the answer.

As for what's the norm with weddings, in my opinion there simply isn't a norm.

I think it's fair to say every wedding is completely different, and regardless of how much planning has been done in advance, everything always changes on the night anyway!

If a wedding breakfast is held in the afternoon it is expected to be called a wedding brunch???

Corabar Steve
11-05-2007, 07:39 AM
If a wedding breakfast is held in the afternoon it is expected to be called a wedding brunch???

Shut up Badger :sj:

Dragonfly
11-05-2007, 08:14 AM
surely wedding reception format is thus:

1. arrive 2 hours before show time to set up only to find they havent even sat down for the wedding breakfast yet.

2. on finishing the wedding breakfast sit for a further 30 minutes while the table of people right where you are due to set up refuse to move as "its their friends wedding and you are not in charge"

3. get whinged at by the best man and father of the bride who despite over running by 90 minutes want everything neat tidy and ready in 10 minutes.

4. Start the show get whinged at by the lazy photographer that wants the first dance done NOW!! so he can have an early night.

5. get bride and groom onto the dancefloor for first dance.

6. Everyone except those over 90 dissapear to the bar which is located at the other side of the hotel.

7. get whinged at by the afore mentioned over 90s because although they are sat with their heads leaning on 500w worth of music power the music is too loud and those annoying lights keep flashing on and off.

8. get the dancefloor jumping then within 2 tracks announce that the buffet is open.

9. finish the buffet with everyone sugared up ready to party due to the enormous cake and sweet table.

10. get asked for a waltz,foxtrot and quickstep set by the still ever present 90 year olds who are desperate to leave now as their colostomys are getting full.

11. get whinged at by everyone else in the room for playing something old before gran and grandpa leave.

12. drag everyone back in from the bar kick the party off proper ignore all the drunk morons who think " mate everyone loves ...... and will dance to it"

13. apologise to everyone that you are playing a playlist from the bride and groom and although you are aware not everyone likes 70s b sides it is their night and you are doing what they ask.

14. finally throw caution to the wind and bow to the masses and instantly your dancefloor is full.

15. finally get whinged at by everyone as its now midnight the venue are getting funny because mrs. smith across the road always calls the police if they go one minute over and you have only played half an hour of "anything decent"

there you go my comprehensive guide.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Hehehe....

Nice one Dave.

Shaun
11-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Very good Dave :D

PropellerHeadCase
11-05-2007, 11:10 AM
5. get bride and groom onto the dancefloor for first dance.

6. Everyone except those over 90 dissapear to the bar which is located at the other side of the hotel.

7. get whinged at by the afore mentioned over 90s because although they are sat with their heads leaning on 500w worth of music power the music is too loud and those annoying lights keep flashing on and off.

8. get the dancefloor jumping then within 2 tracks announce that the buffet is open.

9. finish the buffet with everyone sugared up ready to party due to the enormous cake and sweet table.

Whilst that's all very funny (and true), ironically you have actually touched on the reason for my post...

What's with having the first dance before the buffet? That completely ruins the flow of the night. The first dance is the single best way to get everyone focussed on the floor, yet a few songs in everyone sits down to eat.

That just seems really odd to me.

Dragonfly
11-05-2007, 11:21 AM
speaking to bride and grooms i have found a number of reasons given for this

1. we just want it out of the way as a formality so we can relax and enjoy the rest of the evening.

2. as some form of respect some people feel it is not right to dance before the bride and grooms first dance

3. yes ..... the photographer is leaving at 9pm so we would like to do it before then .

the most popular one ive heard is the first they want to kick back and realax as they have been stared at and congratulated all day and just want to be left alone to take in their day.

PropellerHeadCase
11-05-2007, 11:32 AM
I've not yet encountered a wedding where there's even really enough time to do the first dance before the buffet as this is generally ready after the bride and groom have entered and been seated and the MC has made a few opening remarks.

Penfold42
11-05-2007, 11:38 AM
14. finally throw caution to the wind and bow to the masses and instantly your dancefloor is full.

15. finally get whinged at by everyone as its now midnight the venue are getting funny because mrs. smith across the road always calls the police if they go one minute over and you have only played half an hour of "anything decent"

there you go my comprehensive guide.

LMFAO at this very good. :Laugh: :Laugh:

You also forgot - Been trying all night to get people up, last song on, up they come, then followed by more-more-more????:bang:

RnGary
11-05-2007, 07:46 PM
....and for all these years I thought it was just us who had these problems.

Actually, anyone else agree that we're hitting the bad season? - in Summer, after half a day inside, a lot of guests wander outside and sit around in the evening sun tapping their feet to the music leaving the DJ alone inside (to play what ever he/she wants such as Led Zep, Cradle of Filth - only joking, honest!) until around 11.00. But in the lovely bad weather of Spring, Autumn and Winter they are far more captive.....

PropellerHeadCase
11-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Yep, absolutely, if it's too hot inside... out they go.

And people wonder why set cohesiveness goes out the window.

Play to the crowd? What crowd?

Corabar Steve
12-05-2007, 07:33 AM
....and for all these years I thought it was just us who had these problems.

Actually, anyone else agree that we're hitting the bad season? - in Summer, after half a day inside, a lot of guests wander outside and sit around in the evening sun tapping their feet to the music leaving the DJ alone inside (to play what ever he/she wants such as Led Zep, Cradle of Filth .....

Were you at the wedding I did in Welwyn Garden City last month?