PDA

View Full Version : Discreet Microphones

BBoy-Gnash
15-05-2007, 08:41 AM
For general DJ work we use Shure SM58 radio microphones and we never get any interference from other sources, we also have headsets that can be used with these systems and they are great for conferences.

The problem we currently have is that we want something a little more discreet for weddings more along the lines of a lapel microphone or possibly some well positioned table top microphones. I have seen some ridiculously cheap lapel radio microphones on eBay for about £20.00 but I have serious reservations about the quality and range.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

PropellerHeadCase
15-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Not that I've used any recently, but I'm a big fan of PZMs (pressure zone microphones), just a little sticky-uppy bit on a flat surface and omni-directional.

CRAZY K
15-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Not that I've used any recently, but I'm a big fan of PZMs (pressure zone microphones), just a little sticky-uppy bit on a flat surface and omni-directional.

My experience with headsets has been nothing short of a disaster--I tried Shure, JTS and bought a Gemini all of which have been really poor in comparison with my hand held JTS Radio Mike.

I really really would want to listen to what your getting before you buy.

ITS HARD TO BELIEVE ANYTHING WILL SOUND GOOD FOR £20 :eek: :eek: :eek:

CRAZY K

BBoy-Gnash
15-05-2007, 09:35 AM

Think I might buy this one and give it a try:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130112158367&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:uk

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-05-2007, 10:02 AM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130112158367&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:uk

Realistic is Tandy's own make (If you remember them) and they were never really linked with top quality.

If you get it cheap, then it might be worth a bash.

DMX Will
15-05-2007, 03:33 PM

That's a boundry mic my friend, and unless your trying to pick up a large area, I wouldn't have thought it's that suitable.

BBoy-Gnash
15-05-2007, 03:52 PM
That's a boundry mic my friend, and unless your trying to pick up a large area, I wouldn't have thought it's that suitable.

Perhaps a condenser microphone then, the lapel thing did appeal but you then need to assume they are going to attach it properly which is why the PZM option sounded like a solution, I am trying to make it idiot proof.

Before headsets we used to give them a hand held with instructions on how to use it and 9 times out of ten the microphone would end up by the waistline with some half juiced :beer1: technophobe wondering why they cant be heard. :bang: :bang:

DMX Will
15-05-2007, 10:15 PM
I would suggest a couple of condensers (perhaps smaller shotguns).

You can get some nice little clamps that can attach to mic holders that would then easily clamp onto a table.

I've got a couple of these:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/Audio,+Video+&+TV/Microphones/UNBRANDED/EM-501/displayProduct.jsp?sku=MP33326

Pic Here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=27413&doy=15m5#overview

Very good for the money and I would at least recommend you trying, as for £14, it's not exactly risk.

PropellerHeadCase
16-05-2007, 12:21 AM
I would suggest a couple of condensers (perhaps smaller shotguns).

Aren't shot-guns of any type (unlike the name-sake weapon) quite directional and narrow in their pick-up?

What about parabolic receivers?

BBoy-Gnash
17-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Ok let’s rehash this; I would like an idiot proof system that can be placed on top tables at weddings, probably both ends and the middle that can be turned on by the DJ as and when required :)

A 45 degree focused zone would be good but are the PZM an option as when a guy is making a speech the others usually shut up so that should limit background. Or if you shielded a PZM would that make it more directional :confused:

We have a reasonable budget for this because it solves a long term problem so ideas around or below the £600.00 mark for three units would be OK and preferably XLR :beer1:

DMX Will
17-05-2007, 08:15 PM
To be honest mate, your better off with a couple of wireless mics with tape over the on off button. Trying to setup some good condensers or whatever is going to cause a couple of problems....

- The first on being you'll have cables running all over the table (even if they're neat they won't be to the bridges liking)
- They won't want such cables mics setup in front of them like a press confrence whilst they're eating, and your going to look like a bit of lemon setting them up just before the speeches whilst desert is tidied away.

The the technical aspects
- Your not going to get a clear enough sound from a couple of condensers that far apart. They're best used when other sound (such as music) is being played through a system so that the horrible other noises and frequencies running about, you'll also have hiss and feedback issues trying to get them loud enough.
- Then what if the bride whispers to the groom something during best man's speech...Wooooops, "Your going to do what tonight?!!"
- You've also got the cable aspect from the technical point of view too. Where are these cables running too, I presmue you'll have the mackies about, but you've got to cable it all up and probably use a mixer too. Taping down all these cables isn't going to look good, and will take up time.
- So the cable taping down isn't avoidable if you haven't already setup the sound system for the disco, but if you have, a couple of wireless mics can easily plug into that (and OK the sound won't be coming from the top table's direction) but it's sound re-inforcement all the same. The chances are nobody will notice.

If you're going down the route of putting speakers either side of the top table, I'd still consider a couple of wireless mics, for a party member to actually hold a mic means OI listen i'm speaking. For smaller breakfast's I'd consider a couple of JBL control 1's 50ws is easily enough if your just feeding vocals through, but obviously for bigger breakfast's they're not going to hack it.

Rather than thinking "wouldn't it be cool and professional to have a couple of condensers" think about practicalities and what the bride and groom would prefer - after all it's their big day.