PDA

View Full Version : How do I add Karaoke?

DanceFX_Jnr
16-05-2007, 04:35 PM
If i was to add karaoke to my buissness what equipment would i need
and would i need special CD`s.Also how much on top should i charge as i am clueless:confused:

Dragonfly
16-05-2007, 04:50 PM
I looked into this about 18 months ago spent 2k on discs cdg players mics monitors the lot ..... pushed it for 6 months with flyers adverts etc. .........

nothing! not a single enquiry and I can count on one hand the number of people that have asked for it since...... then i thought about it logically was told about 50-60 quid extra for doing karaoke ......do i want people swinging my gear round screaming obscenities down mics and spilling pints over my gear for an extra 50 quid ...........

no ta...... fair play to those that do it and do it well but its not for me .....I flogged the lot and invested in my disco equipment and since I did that and smartened up the show I know get much more than the 50 quid extra per gig . so dont miss it at all.

DanceFX_Jnr
16-05-2007, 04:58 PM
thats really helpful thank you becuase i dont like people touching my equipment either

Dragonfly
16-05-2007, 05:30 PM
dont mean to be negative about it but think about the return on your outlay.... do you get asked for karaoke at all now? also how many guys do it in your area and for what? there are quite alot of guys round me that do karaoke and disco for alot less than i do just discos for so its not worth my while really. as i said in my previous post i spent 2k on gear when i did it. plus then you will be buying your disco music each month and new cdgs with the latest karaoke tracks. could become expensive.

screamersTess
16-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Karaoke is one of those things where you have to be happy to have people near and using your equipment. Some people can do it some can't.

I started just doing karaoke and then went on to disco - somehow it seems more difficult when done the other way round. Maybe it's something to do with having your own space, who knows.

If you do decide to do it it will cost quite a lot if you want to get a decent amount of discs and then just like disco you need to keep it updated. I started out with about 1,000 tracks and now have 5,000 in my first rig but have since got another lot for a second rig and have about 3500 in that but built up using my knowledge of what gets sung from experience.

Spirits High
17-05-2007, 11:41 AM
I find im only getting maybe 1 enquiry a month if that for karaoke and to be brutally honest am thinking about dropping it from my set up.

It is a complete pain in the rear at times when as previouly mentioned you get the drunken "pop Idol" trying to do their bit.
Many a time ive had the "well they've sung more than me" or "I put my request in before them" Am gona stick with discos alot less hassle IMO ;)

spin mobile disco
20-05-2007, 12:14 AM
Other than drunks on an evening asking ' can i sing down your mic' its very rare I get an enquiry about karaoke. Same here I just dojnt liek people touching the equipment. Remeber in the days of vinyle to many people bumping the decks and it jumping, even with the old cd players before anti shock. Not sure how much of a shock will damage a hard drive usb player but not willing to find out.

colinm345
24-05-2007, 12:22 PM
I have been doing karaoke now since 1995 long before I started doing disco
We tend to play more now to the corporate customer
Pick your ''shots'' if you can and you will be ok

Jays karaoke
31-05-2007, 07:02 AM
You can add karaoke to your equipment by simply adding a CDG player to a line in your desk. Obviously you need to connect a tv to the video out on the player and you would just need some CDG discs. You can get up to £50 extra for adding karaoke to a night entertainment.

BeerFunk
31-05-2007, 12:25 PM
You can add karaoke to your equipment by simply adding a CDG player to a line in your desk. Obviously you need to connect a tv to the video out on the player and you would just need some CDG discs. You can get up to £50 extra for adding karaoke to a night entertainment.
No offence if that's how you run a karaoke, but as a client I would expect more from a karaoke than that.

I assume you would be printing songbooks, request slips, and have a good selection of songs (with a good variation from 50s up to current chart). I'd also assume you have a key changer on your CDG player, as a lot of 'hardened' karaoke singers will expect that too.

I would also recommend that as the host, you have your own screen to monitor the video output.

That's not to mention sound equipment - obviously you need decent microphones - at least 3 (I'd recommend you keep one for yourself, and only for yourself!). You should ideally have basic voice effects such as echo and reverb, well actually I think it's essential rather than ideal.

These are just the basics - there are so many more improvements you can make! :)

DMX Will
31-05-2007, 01:35 PM
I would have thought your looking at a £500 setup cost excluding CDG's.

Have a look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qcMdoouqJA

A video about some Karaoke equipment Brian (author) bought. Turned out he just needed a DVD player. Bare in mind he's across the pond.

I could be wrong, but most Karaoke presenters normally sing to warm up the crowd, now I think you have to ask yourself:
a) Am I good enough (singing wise) to do that?
and more importantly:
b) Am I prepared to sing (first) in front of everyone?

HTH

DK Karaoke
31-05-2007, 05:41 PM
No offence if that's how you run a karaoke, but as a client I would expect more from a karaoke than that.

I assume you would be printing songbooks, request slips, and have a good selection of songs (with a good variation from 50s up to current chart). I'd also assume you have a key changer on your CDG player, as a lot of 'hardened' karaoke singers will expect that too.

I would also recommend that as the host, you have your own screen to monitor the video output.

That's not to mention sound equipment - obviously you need decent microphones - at least 3 (I'd recommend you keep one for yourself, and only for yourself!). You should ideally have basic voice effects such as echo and reverb, well actually I think it's essential rather than ideal.

These are just the basics - there are so many more improvements you can make! :)

I dont think Jay assumed that was all that was needed. Its taken for granted by professional karaoke presenters that you also need song books, request slips, be fully up to date and have the best sound system, so as to compensate for the sometimes "out of tune" singers.

You dont always need a personal monitor, especially if you position the singers monitor correctly and also if you use a projection screen.

Having said that however, it is expensive to maintain a karaoke. It also means having to lug all that extra gear when you are doing karaoke and well as disco.

With respect to mics, I used the goods ones for those singers who I know appreciate karaoke and know how to use a mic (no banging, spitting, or dropping etc.) However, for the usual punter, who just want to sing/shout of tune, I use the less expensive mics, as to replace good mics often, can make it even more expensive. I use Shure Sm58's, Senheisers, and AKG's.

Jays karaoke
01-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Beerfunk DKK is right, i have been presenting karaoke & DJing for 12 years and only use the very best and actually £500 would not get you a decent setup you would be looking at around £3000 as if you wanted to make an impression as i do and i know DKK do you have to use to best i.e Dynacord, EV, Shure and this does not come cheap.
Maybe you misunderstud what i was trying to say. If this guy only wanted to add it for every now and again use he could get away with spending 500 on the equipment to upgrade but then as you say you require sond books, request slips and most of all discs which do not come cheap.
A good dedicated karaoke compere will have at least 500 discs and all the gear mentioned above and for that you are talking £10,000 plus.

colinm345
01-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Hi Jay
See what you mean But £500 added to what you MAY already have would get you a good set up ,and we only have 250 discs,but 3500 songs and we are always in demand especially in the corporate market:)