PDA

View Full Version : CD players which display the track name

rob1963
29-05-2007, 01:04 AM
I've just bought a couple of CD players with a feature I've not had before...

...scrolling text on the display which gives the track name.

I thought this would be really handy, as you can see the track name before you hit "play" (rather than having to pick up the CD box & check the track number in order to make sure you've cued up the right track).

However, so far I've only found ONE of my CDs this works on (out of about 250). With all the rest, it just says "no text"...even though they are all official shop bought CDs rather than copies or downloads.

I know it's not a problem with the CD player, as I have 2 of them, and it's the same on both.

Can anyone explain why this is?

:confused:

PropellerHeadCase
29-05-2007, 02:04 AM
The name-text appears in the data section in the centre of the CD, I think, the technology hasn't been around all that long, and not every label uses it.

pagan_flame
29-05-2007, 07:47 AM
However, so far I've only found ONE of my CDs this works on (out of about 250). With all the rest, it just says "no text"...even though they are all official shop bought CDs rather than copies or downloads.

I have this feature on my car CD player, however I have 3 CD's on which this works out of around 1000... 'Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned' - Prodigy, 'Ladies & Gentlemen' - George Michael, and 'Mezmerize / Hypnotize' - System of a Down :eek: (OK so that's actually 5 CD's in total...)

However, if I burn a 'compilation' CD (for personal use only of course) from MP3's with the relevant tags in place with the latest Nero burner, then it comes up with track names every time... :rolleyes:

rob1963
29-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the info, Al & Pagan.

:)

BeerFunk
29-05-2007, 10:57 AM
I've only noticed one - 'The Best Of Wham!' :rolleyes:

CRAZY K
29-05-2007, 11:07 AM
I've just bought a couple of CD players with a feature I've not had before...

...scrolling text on the display which gives the track name.

I thought this would be really handy, as you can see the track name before you hit "play" (rather than having to pick up the CD box & check the track number in order to make sure you've cued up the right track).

I know it's not a problem with the CD player, as I have 2 of them, and it's the same on both.

Can anyone explain why this is?

:confused:

Rob, when you switch to USB reader your worries are over--every track is named :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CRAZY K

rob1963
29-05-2007, 11:10 AM
I've only noticed one - 'The Best Of Wham!' :rolleyes:

Wow Beerfunk - that's the only one I have that works as well!

rob1963
29-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Rob, when you switch to USB reader your worries are over--every track is named :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CRAZY K

Thanks Crazy - I'll make a note of that! :D

BeerFunk
29-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Wow Beerfunk - that's the only one I have that works as well!

Haha, well at least I'm not the only one to have it! :o

rob1963
29-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Haha, well at least I'm not the only one to have it! :o

Absolutely!

You probably don't feel so bad now!!! :p

Ricesnaps
29-05-2007, 12:41 PM
I mentioned a similar problem a little while back (which I haven't managed to solve yet). The Denon DND 4000 also have the "CD text" feature. Unfortunately Windows Media player doesn't seem to burn the text when you make an audio CD - hugely frustrating. I also now can't get my copy of Roxio to recognise my CD burner, so a little stuck.

Is there any free software about which burns CD text?

theoloyla
29-05-2007, 05:39 PM
I think it is mostly only Sony Music CD's that have the information on them.

BeerFunk
29-05-2007, 05:57 PM
I think it is mostly only Sony Music CD's that have the information on them.
Upon a quick check, you are exactly right! I wonder why that would be then?

theoloyla
29-05-2007, 06:01 PM
I expect it was their idea and EMI and Universal wont pay to use it.

PropellerHeadCase
30-05-2007, 12:22 AM
Well, Sony did invent red-book standard CDs.